News from a [chat] we have never yet visited

• Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    really should have paid the fifty cent union dues

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The wicket is apparently very dry and will cut up early, which means my tickets for Sunday are more than likely going to be unused, because the match won't last that long.

Gutting.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    you are making shit up at this point, Bogart.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    one hour

four hours

two hours

window file copy dialogue~`

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Rogue Legacy, people. Rogue Legacy. Well worth it's money if you like retro.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Baseball is awesome.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    you are making shit up at this point, Bogart.

Bran muffins are good for that.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Rogue Legacy, people. Rogue Legacy. Well worth it's money if you like retro.
    It's certainly okay.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I am slowly getting the hang of Rogue Legacy

My laptop doesn't like running it for longer than fifteen minutes without slowing down dramatically, though

• Options
    zzgrYQo25Mm94K2BAacZBQ6guEwq3t00hw7bonLUdxhg

Ask (Ash), the lead wolf in the wolfpack at Langedrag Nature Park, is dead.

Big enough to be reported nationally, it seems.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I'm reading the Aubrey/Maturin novels right now, and cricket has this in common with them: there is no shortcut to understanding the jargon. In the books it's sailing, with jibs and booms and leeward shores and foc'sle's, and in cricket it's yorkers and byes and reverse swing and slog-sweeps and silly mid-ons.

• Options
    the public can go in and visit the "wild" wolves there, but not the wolfpack Ask led, interestingly.

Because the wolfpack reckons humans as part of their flock - the two keepers, one of which was pictured up there - and therefore aren't all that friendly to strangers. While the "wild" wolves don't see humans as strangers, just as interesting creatures.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    simonwolf wrote: »
    I am slowly getting the hang of Rogue Legacy

My laptop doesn't like running it for longer than fifteen minutes without slowing down dramatically, though
    I suck pretty hard at it, but I keep coming back because every time I die, it's because of shit I could have prevented. The most important thing I'm learning is that it's a Rogue-like and I'm not supposed to survive everything straight out the door.

Aldo on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I am quickly discovering that one of the worst things about living in a place with seasons is how many clothes you need to own.

I feel like I have 2x to 2.5x the wardrobe I had in LA and it is barely enough, mostly because for half the year I can't wear half of my wardrobe.

Seasons are the worst.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    I'm reading the Aubrey/Maturin novels right now, and cricket has this in common with them: there is no shortcut to understanding the jargon. In the books it's sailing, with jibs and booms and leeward shores and foc'sle's, and in cricket it's yorkers and byes and reverse swing and slog-sweeps and silly mid-ons.

the difference is that I know sailing jargon but cricket is just made up to confuse me, clearly

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I am quickly discovering that one of the worst things about living in a place with seasons is how many clothes you need to own.

I feel like I have 2x to 2.5x the wardrobe I had in LA and it is barely enough, mostly because for half the year I can't wear half of my wardrobe.

Seasons are the worst.
    Just dress the same and complain

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options

Seasons are the worst.

it does seem rather convenient to live in LA where all the clothes you need is a t-shirt, shorts and a gas mask

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    the difference is that I know sailing jargon but cricket is just made up to confuse me, clearly

No, the difference is just that you know sailing jargon.

• Options

Seasons are the worst.
    It's a thing. :) I have 5 different coats for different seasons and occasions.

• Options

No, the difference is just that you know sailing jargon.

no I'm pretty sure cricket is like Mornington Crescent

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Seasons are the worst.
    Just dress the same and complain

I think I would seriously die. Either freeze due to exposure or sweat to death.

It has gotten below freezing in the halls at school, and it has gotten to be 30C with 90% humidity in the class rooms. This is at work, let alone outside.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular

Seasons are the worst.

On the plus side, you're not living in LA.

• Options
    Suriko wrote: »

Seasons are the worst.

On the plus side, you're not living in LA.

But living in LA was completely awesome and amazing?

I think living where I currently do was awesome and amazing, but honestly, if you live in LA and you are not having a great time you are doing something wrong.

• Options
    I like how all sitcoms from the west-coast basically have no seasons. :P

• Options

Seasons are the worst.

it does seem rather convenient to live in LA where all the clothes you need is a t-shirt, shorts and a gas mask

I actually wore pants year round in LA.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    LA is butts.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    LA is butts.

Nope.

• Options

the jib is a kind of foresail that we call fokk and is a bit confusing since jibe is when you turn the boat so that the wind comes from the other side, while the wind is with you all the time as opposed to tacking which is turning into the wind

a boom is a boom

if you're on the shore and the wind is blowing from the sea you're on the leeward shore

fo'c'sle is a shortening of forecastle

easy!

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    browsing through my youtube favorites at 4 am

still love this cover
    http://youtu.be/R0shsRmSxLI

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    LA is butts.

Nope.

Yup.

• Options
    LA is butts.

Nope.

Yup.

Perhaps you just suck at life?

• Options
    A yorker is a ball bowled so that it hits the ground directly at the batter's feet, thus hopefully sneaking under the bat and therefore difficult to dig out.

A bye is a run scored without the batter hitting the ball.

Reverse swing is when an older ball moves in the air in the delivery, often due to one side having been assiduously shined.

Slog-sweeps are sweeping shots that attempt to slog the ball a great distance, hopefully over fielders heads.

Silly mid-on is a fielding position around the midpoint of the onside of the wicket, and close enough to the batter to earn the title of 'silly'.

• Options
    LA is butts.

Nope.

Yup.

Perhaps you just suck at life?

The government is currently paying me to just go to class.

Hard to see that being the case.

Especially when it's a known fact that LA is butts.

• Options
    *sigh*

Like, seriously, I do not go around shitting on places other people live every time it comes up.

But every time LA comes up everyone takes a shot.

Can we seriously stop doing this, please? It has worn incredibly thin.

• Options
    lee shore may be a bit confusing since if the shore was the side of a ship it would be the windward side

the reason is that directions are always in relation to the ship

so like, you don't say pass by on the port side of that buoy there, you say pass it... and my nautical english is failing me a bit, but off the starboard

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Morning [chat] folks. How goes the day?

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

the jib is a kind of foresail that we call fokk and is a bit confusing since jibe is when you turn the boat so that the wind comes from the other side, while the wind is with you all the time as opposed to tacking which is turning into the wind

a boom is a boom

if you're on the shore and the wind is blowing from the sea you're on the leeward shore

fo'c'sle is a shortening of forecastle

easy!

You can be my coxswain anyday

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Morning [chat] folks. How goes the day?

Good but too humid. Got some shopping done so I have enough shorts for work now, and managed to find some wifi so I could update my copy of Ascension for iOS so I can get back to playing it with my friends.

All in all a good day. I think I'll play some MGS Portable Ops to round out the evening.

What's your day looking like?

• Options
    A yorker is a ball bowled so that it hits the ground directly at the batter's feet, thus hopefully sneaking under the bat and therefore difficult to dig out.

A bye is a run scored without the batter hitting the ball.

Reverse swing is when an older ball moves in the air in the delivery, often due to one side having been assiduously shined.

Slog-sweeps are sweeping shots that attempt to slog the ball a great distance, hopefully over fielders heads.

Silly mid-on is a fielding position around the midpoint of the onside of the wicket, and close enough to the batter to earn the title of 'silly'.

the reverse swing is the one that tips me off that you guys are delighting in making as many terms as possible for this sport

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    fuck today.

This discussion has been closed.