As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just-in-time [chat] delivery.

1878889909193»

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    It is morning. It is a nice morning.

It is 1:20 in the morning.

Go to sleep.

Someone has dragged you into the future. It is 7:23 am.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2013
    Shivahn wrote: »
    You'll never have to reference count or track heap memory again! - Terrible cost
    Forget strong typing, that's for chumps! - Terrible cost
    Why do you have to know if an object has a method before calling it? - Terrible cost
    You can inspect an object's methods and members without knowing what to cast it to! - Terrible cost
    Fuck primitives, everything is an object! - Terrible cost
    Fuck pointers, references4lyfe - Terrible cost

Let this philosophy and its universal truth guide you.

Uncle Donkey, what exactly is a reference?

(I am entirely serious in this inquiry, though there's a good chance after a single sentence I will say "oh nevermind I get it now")

Well, in C++, references mean something else but what I'm referring to is like when some languages (Java, C#, Python) say: "NO POINTERS TO MEMORY" and refer to objects and arrays by a sort of ID number called a reference that doesn't mean anything in particular and you can't do math with it, but acts as like, a ticket stub to refer to an object.

Oh, then.

I was thinking in C++.

Yeah I can totally see why that'd be dumb, there's so much you can do with memory pointers >: (

Shivahn on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Activision Blizzard are buying themselves out from Vivendi for 8.2 billion dollars.

That is some huge fucking news.

Yes it is

but

I don't think it's the end of the trend of consolidation in the industry

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    @hamurabi

couple days ago I got very embarrassed confusing the rules for a Catholic fast and a Muslim fast - offered a dude observing Ramadan some water

lol

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Activision Blizzard are buying themselves out from Vivendi for 8.2 billion dollars.

I am glad. Vivendi were planning some really shitty stuff for some reason and I don't even know why. It's like they got bored having a profitable, productive video game division.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

I am glad. Vivendi were planning some really shitty stuff for some reason and I don't even know why. It's like they got bored having a profitable, productive video game division.

They needed money and were willing to put their profitable venture into debt to scrounge some up. But yeah, I'm glad for this news too. I may disagree with Kotick / Activision's business decisions but I don't want them to crash and burn.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    C++ breaks my heart every time I find a new limitation.

Why C++, why? :(

Every limitation of C++ is a lesson. That lesson is if another language tell you it can do a thing C++ cannot, that thing comes at a terrible cost.

D:

I just want to dynamically generate things in multi-dimensional arrays. :(

I am not sure exactly what you are talking about, but you should consider vectors of smart pointers.

I'm sure there's a way, but right now:

ClassIMade* pClassIMade = new ClassIMade[x]; = :)

ClassIMade* pClassIMade = new ClassIMade[x][y]; = NO

And I keep running into these sorts of things and it's super annoying.

That's because

ClassIMade** pClassIMade = new ClassIMade*[x];
    for (int i = 0; i < x; i++)
    {
    pClassIMadeb][/b]i[b][/b = new ClassIMade[y];
    }

I was afraid it was something like that. :(

Thanks! <3

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

random people on the Internet told me that Vivendi needed some cash and despite Activision Blizzard making a lot of money they're still not as big as the rest of the shit Vivendi owns

I have no idea if this is true and I don't feel like doing research.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    That's basically it. Vivendi were preparing to strangle their golden goose in the hope it shit out a few golden eggs faster even though they risked leaving it half dead. Someone evidentally realized they didn't want to get strangled and so jumped to get rid Vivendi as an issue. Definitely a good long term strategy.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    @hamurabi

couple days ago I got very embarrassed confusing the rules for a Catholic fast and a Muslim fast - offered a dude observing Ramadan some water

lol

These things happen; at least your culturally aware enough to realize your mistake.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Corehealer wrote: »
    @hamurabi

lol

These things happen; at least your culturally aware enough to realize your mistake.

I'm nominally from a Muslim country!

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Every limitation of C++ is a lesson. That lesson is if another language tell you it can do a thing C++ cannot, that thing comes at a terrible cost.

D:

I am not sure exactly what you are talking about, but you should consider vectors of smart pointers.

That's because

{
    }

Thanks! <3

Afraid! But look at the beauty, the expressiveness! The fact that each column could be a different length if you wanted them to be for some reason!

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

D:

That's because

{
    }

Thanks! <3

Afraid! But look at the beauty, the expressiveness! The fact that each column could be a different length if you wanted them to be for some reason!

That would actually be a pretty useful trait given that I'm trying to develop a variable-size board-style game...

• Options
    @hamurabi

lol

The_more_you_know.gif

488W936.png
  • Options
    It's Stuff You Learnt When You Were Six and then forgot about in the intervening, oh, two decades or so.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Pork rinds are still ok though right?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    @hamurabi

lol

Well, in this situation it is customary that the penitent man walk the streets of his village, whipping himself in front of his peers

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    This C++ stuff is reminding me about my days learning C/C++.

And basically screw pointers!

工事中
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    World of Darkness needs to stop being so interesting

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Morning.

7IvOWKC.jpg

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    But Deadpool is a Marvel character, he shouldn't even know who Zod is...

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    But Deadpool is a Marvel character, he shouldn't even know who Zod is...

Zod has that exercise tape, "Sit up before Zod". It's quite good, "One sit up before Zod, two sit ups before Zod" etc. Really gives you a workout or he comes to your house and punches you through the moon.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    @hamurabi

lol

http://www.examiner.com/article/a-jew-his-dog-and-muslim-outrage-at-queens-park

(Ugh why can't I sleep.)

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I AM RETURNED!

Australia was nice and all, but I'm glad to be home.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Blergh.

Morning [chat].

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    has anybody watched the latest dbz abridged

dr gero sounds so familiar but I can't figure out who

I know he's done other stuff, but in DBZA I think he also played Cooler already

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I didn't realise that you couldn't drink during Ramadan either. I think I grew up with the worst Muslims

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    @hamurabi

lol

(Ugh why can't I sleep.)

I trust examiner.com on issues about muslims about as far as I can throw... Uh, I dunno, a thing that you can't throw at all.

Examiner is the same site that has the "adjusted polling" guy.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I didn't realise that you couldn't drink during Ramadan either. I think I grew up with the worst Muslims

Apparently it's a bit of a nightmare in japan's office at the moment with the heat and the long days and half of them grumpy from no food or liquids since 2am.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    If we make it to page 94, the curse of the shrinking [chat] will be broken.

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    @hamurabi

lol

(Ugh why can't I sleep.)

I trust examiner.com on issues about muslims about as far as I can throw... Uh, I dunno, a thing that you can't throw at all.

Examiner is the same site that has the "adjusted polling" guy.

Oh I didn't actually read the Thing.

It just came up when I GIS'd "muslim dog," and it has a picture of a boxer but I can't copy image sources on my iPhone for whatever reason so I linked the page instead.

tl;dr: @Econodog is a bigot.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    A bird shat on my shoulder while I was walking from class today.

Fire time that had ever happened to me.

Well, I was told that I would have plenty of new life experiences in Japan.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    @Kana will create the new thread
    @RMS Oceanic is backup

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    spool32 wrote: »
    If we make it to page 94, the curse of the shrinking [chat] will be broken.

YOU JINXED IT

This discussion has been closed.