As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Talk About Self-Care

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Got DAMN I love sloppy cosplay

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Went downtown today with a friend and bought some comics :)

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    edit shut up idiot
    I'm having anxiety about doing a hook suspension.

It's actually kind of liberating to explore what causes my anxiety.

that seems like a perfectly rational thing to have anxieties about

like, when someone doesn't want to go outside because it makes them nervous, that's a problem

when someone doesn't want to be pierced with hooks over and over again and strung up from the ceiling like some deranged deep-water catch and they feel nervous about it, they're having an appropriate emotional reaction

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I'm recovering from the PAX pox and a friend got paid yesterday and she wanted to celebrate. Fuck yeah thom yum. And then we went to the store and she got me nice things and wow I had no idea how much I needed that. Just to get out of the house after being sick and blahhh and my brain does not work with congestion.

My god do I owe her.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Trying to find a form of self-care for the coming week. So far, have thought of and rejected plans to go to America, Istanbul and Venice (mostly on the grounds of cost). Debated a weekend in a seaside holiday town in Kent, then realised i LIVE in a seaside holiday town and would essentially be paying to stay somewhere almost exactly like here ...

might try tenerife?

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    made a post on facebook about hating myself

deleted it

self-care

like, when someone doesn't want to go outside because it makes them nervous, that's a problem

when someone doesn't want to be pierced with hooks over and over again and strung up from the ceiling like some deranged deep-water catch and they feel nervous about it, they're having an appropriate emotional reaction

Of course it's an appropriate emotional reaction, that's why I'm seriously considering it. It allows for the kind of self reflection that allows me to understand myself when I have those completely abnormal emotional reactions from going outside. It's tough and scary to try to figure out what causes a reaction other than "lol hooks."

Is it the anticipation of pain that scares me? The fear of injury? What if someone pulls on me? What if they start swinging me back and forth? What if I safeword and nobody lets me down?

Suddenly I realize that my anxieties don't revolve around physical harm nearly as much as a fear of embarrassment, humiliation, and a loss of control.

Weird when I went into it thinking I just didn't want to get hurt.

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I've been doing creative stuff this weekend as self-care. Laid out the language generation system for LP5 and made this folio character sheet for TRANSYLVANIAN ADVENTURES, a Gothic Horror Adventure RPG that's based on DCC.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/23n3vtfv30olmfl/charsheet.pdf

creative stuff is cool when i feel creative.

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Self care is driving a long way away with a lady love and one of my oldest friends to soak in fantastically beautiful hot springs I had never been to before.
    That the trip was bookended with doing things with the lady love which I probably should not describe here is just gravy

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    made a post on facebook about hating myself

deleted it

self-care

Of course it's an appropriate emotional reaction, that's why I'm seriously considering it. It allows for the kind of self reflection that allows me to understand myself when I have those completely abnormal emotional reactions from going outside. It's tough and scary to try to figure out what causes a reaction other than "lol hooks."

Is it the anticipation of pain that scares me? The fear of injury? What if someone pulls on me? What if they start swinging me back and forth? What if I safeword and nobody lets me down?

Suddenly I realize that my anxieties don't revolve around physical harm nearly as much as a fear of embarrassment, humiliation, and a loss of control.

Weird when I went into it thinking I just didn't want to get hurt.

i find my neuroses almost exclusively revolve around feelings of helplessness. if i can alter the situation or my perspective so that i feel some measure of control over matters, then most of the time things improve. a safeword and the active decision to do suspension would probably be my handles here. from what oog's said you'll probably be too blissed out in the air to worry much

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @Tynic: you know what? I live in a seaside resort type city and we still went away for a weekend to a seaside resort type place. and it was amazing. You should totally still do that. Go to the water, Nic. You know that it will help you.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Ate half a pizza.

Thinking about taking a nap.

Sundays usually mean nothing to me, but I have decided that today is very much a Sunday.

Self-care.

• Options
    @Tynic: you know what? I live in a seaside resort type city and we still went away for a weekend to a seaside resort type place. and it was amazing. You should totally still do that. Go to the water, Nic. You know that it will help you.

I'm in England, anywhere around here is just a different kind of dreary. But somewhere sunny and further south might work ...

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I second Tenerife for you, Tynic.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    mint leaves and sea urchin meringues ice cream wat is going on O______O

poo
  • Options
    then i will check it out tonight!

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

You should take a little glass bottle with you and put some sand in from the beach and a shell to bring back with you and then whenever you feel down you will always have a little bit of the beautiful beach with you to cheer you up when the uk weather is rubbish.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

I'm in England, anywhere around here is just a different kind of dreary. But somewhere sunny and further south might work ...

The French holidayers would have just left southern france by now but the weather and sea will still be warm - tried anything down there?

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

You should take a little glass bottle with you and put some sand in from the beach and a shell to bring back with you and then whenever you feel down you will always have a little bit of the beautiful beach with you to cheer you up when the uk weather is rubbish.

So all the time?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Dis' wrote: »

The French holidayers would have just left southern france by now but the weather and sea will still be warm - tried anything down there?

haven't really looked as yet but france is pretty easy ... I could even drive there ...

last time went to southern france just travelled around booking hotels the night before, it was actually not very expensive. Of coruse that was two people, so that cut the cost down ...

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Owww got little bits of hair in both my eyes. Owww

• Options
    Darmak wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »

So all the time?

Yeah pretty much!

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular

Dude where are you eating because I hella want to go there

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular

haven't really looked as yet but france is pretty easy ... I could even drive there ...

last time went to southern france just travelled around booking hotels the night before, it was actually not very expensive. Of coruse that was two people, so that cut the cost down ...

Atlanta is sunny and warm

Just saying

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »

Dude where are you eating because I hella want to go there

@usagi i was at salt and straw

they had some special chef collaborations going on
    Jenn Louis has built one of the most prestigious food empires in Portland and was recently named one of Food & Wine Magazine's Best New Chefs and competed on Top Chef Masters this season. At her two restaurants, Lincoln and Sunshine Tavern, she creates menus that celebrate the local bounty in ways that show off the distinct and bountiful Willamette Valley flavors. For this collaboration with Louis, we are using west-coast harvested sea urchin and a fruity italian pimente d'espelet to make little meringues that burst with umami. These delicate bites are gently folded into an herbaceous ice cream that is steeped in fresh mint leaves.

Ah mah gah

poo
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Salt and straw, gotcha :^:

• Options
    Stale wrote: »

Just saying

d'ya know what the current prices are for airline tickets london-atlanta?

cause I do.

they're bollocks.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »

Just saying

d'ya know what the current prices are for airline tickets london-atlanta?

cause I do.

they're bollocks.

Now compare them to the prices to Glasgow!

We may not have sun, or warmth, or...oh wait I get why it's cheap.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'd fly to Glasgow

Becca and I are thinking Scotland for our honeymoon

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    you should go surfing in Scotland

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Tam wrote: »

That sounds like a good way to freeze to death, to me.

The water is not for touching, it's for looking at.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    "Surfing in Scotland" sounds like some sort of euphemism.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    "Surfing in Scotland" sounds like some sort of euphemism.

The way I use it, it is

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    got super shit faced last night at a party, that was fun

then getting a haircut this afternoon while still nursing my hangover was weird but had to be done

then I watched a movie starring joseph gordon-levitt and he is so pretty

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I am in Portsmouth reuinioning with some old, old friends. And I have a lunch date with a forumer.

I just wish the weather was a bit less shite. I think summer is officially over.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Tam wrote: »

That sounds like a good way to freeze to death, to me.

The water is not for touching, it's for looking at.

When I cycle along the beach up here I generally see a few people surfing, so its totally possible!

(Surfing in what look like dry suits)

Edit:

wind_things_aberdeen.jpgstcombs3.JPG
    North East Scotland!

Edit edit: For my own self care I'm gonna try to make it down to where that second picture is next weekend.

Dis' on
  • Options
    But you can call meBut you can call me Grand Divina Angela Registered User regular
    Haha my family got evicted from our apartment and now we live in two small rooms in my moms house and have to constantly walk on eggshells around her for fear of being kicked out and basically nothing is relaxing ever. I saw this thread and was all "maybe I could find something relaxing to do while everyone else is asleep" and came up with painting my nails and then I realized noooope mom's not really down with the whole transgendered thing haha!

So instead I'm listening to dumb pop music wondering what my life would be like if I were an alcoholic club going type person. Is escapism self care? Is it bad that my escapism involves being an alcoholic?

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    Haha my family got evicted from our apartment and now we live in two small rooms in my moms house and have to constantly walk on eggshells around her for fear of being kicked out and basically nothing is relaxing ever. I saw this thread and was all "maybe I could find something relaxing to do while everyone else is asleep" and came up with painting my nails and then I realized noooope mom's not really down with the whole transgendered thing haha!

So instead I'm listening to dumb pop music wondering what my life would be like if I were an alcoholic club going type person. Is escapism self care? Is it bad that my escapism involves being an alcoholic?

People care about you.
    You will get through this.
    There will be better times.

• Options
    But you can call meBut you can call me Grand Divina Angela Registered User regular
    That was bizarrely comforting. Damn.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

Escapism is self care to an extent. If your escapism is starting to interfere with other aspects of your life (like your health, job or education), that's a problem. Alcoholism as a method of escapism is not a good thing.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    That was bizarrely comforting. Damn.

I got in a fight with my girlfriend tonight and thought "I bought beer, I should drink a lot tonight and make it go away"

after a beer I went to her and apologized for being an ass, told her what bothered me and I admitted I wanted to drink away the issue.
    It sounds like a good idea, and it isn't. Don't slip down that slope, just remember. Tonight isn't every night of your life, and you will be happier than you are right now. You won't die because you are in a shit situation, despite it feeling like the best option. Your life will get better than this.

This discussion has been closed.