As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starcraft 2] Polt, a real American hero, keeps the foreigner hope alive!

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    jaziek wrote: »
    Blind luck is a pretty shit way to lose, its a pretty shit way to win, and its a pretty shit thing to watch. One of the many many reasons why SC2 can never be a legitimate sport.

Hahahaha this guy

Because there are absolutely no luck based factors in other sports like wind or sun in your eyes or if it rains suddenly

Nothing in any other sport is as big of a blind gamble = auto-win as some cheese is in SC2. Nothing.

You have never watched American football, I take it. There are plays that are absolutely gigantic gambles.

One in particular comes to mind: the Patriots in one of their Super Bowl appearances. They were setting up for a 3 point kick and instead hiked the ball to the kicker, who threw it into the end zone for a touchdown which gave them the lead instead of tying them up. There are so, so many ways that could have gone wrong and cost them the game right then and there. But it worked, so they won the game instead of going into over time.

So I think you actually have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm gonna pretend I understand what this means. Yep. I know exactly what you're talking about.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

I don't think free kicks are really that luck based. Given the amount of preparation that is allowed from both the offensive and defensive side in that situation. There is a certain amount of randomness, but you should know, at very high level football, from the positioning of the other team, and the way you've positioned your defence, and the way the player taking the kick usually likes to play set pieces at this angle, what the most likely outcome of a free kick is gonna be.

That, and there's always the ability of raw skill of a single player to overcome the randomness of a situation. If the keeper is fast enough, then it doesn't matter how good the shot is, he'll save it. Admittedly, some free kicks are fucking unstoppable, but hey, they shouldn't have fouled in the first place.

No, free kicks are generally considered almost pure luck. It's a better dice throw, because at least you need a minimum amount of skill. Much like cheese.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Artosis strikes again
    ibluS4mQGFVnVu.PNG

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Medivac pickup = hot shit

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    Blind luck is a pretty shit way to lose, its a pretty shit way to win, and its a pretty shit thing to watch. One of the many many reasons why SC2 can never be a legitimate sport.

Hahahaha this guy

Because there are absolutely no luck based factors in other sports like wind or sun in your eyes or if it rains suddenly

Nothing in any other sport is as big of a blind gamble = auto-win as some cheese is in SC2. Nothing.

You have never watched American football, I take it. There are plays that are absolutely gigantic gambles.

One in particular comes to mind: the Patriots in one of their Super Bowl appearances. They were setting up for a 3 point kick and instead hiked the ball to the kicker, who threw it into the end zone for a touchdown which gave them the lead instead of tying them up. There are so, so many ways that could have gone wrong and cost them the game right then and there. But it worked, so they won the game instead of going into over time.

I'm gonna pretend I understand what this means. Yep. I know exactly what you're talking about.

The tl;dr of it is basically that strategy and gigantic strategy gambles that will either win you the game if they work, or lose you the game if they fail, already have precedent in massively popular sports and that saying "SC2 has cheese therefore esports are not as good as real sports" is a 100% false statement.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    oh god. please don't be hopeful about the world's future, artosis D:

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Cheese isn't always a blind gamble. It's been said before, but JD is a king of mind gaming his opponent. At that level you don't just randomly cheese and expect to win, you have to make your opponent think you aren't going to do it.

If you look at the success rate of cheese play or allins by Jaedong I guarantee it will be far, far above the expected win rate. Even if you count all Koreans (or even tournament play in general), the average cheese winrate would be higher than expected. There's nothing wrong with playing your opponent, not just the game. Only reason it's such a big deal is cause he eliminated a foreign hope. When Luci proxy Thor'd, everyone's like OOOOOOOOOO MINDGAMES SO SMART etc. etc.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    MMMig wrote: »

Losing 13 marines to medivacs dying aint so hot.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    oh god. please don't be hopeful about the world's future, artosis D:

"I feel really good about our plan to stop the asteroid!"

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular

Hahahaha this guy

I watched that game, actually, it was a lot of fun to watch. Because an all or nothing gamble that is the last 5 seconds of a 60 minute incredibly even game is a lot more awesome than one which takes up 20% of a series. It would be more like if at the start of the 4th quarter, the Patriots could choose to try and kick a field goal, the opposing team wasn't allowed on the field, and if the kick went in, then the game was over, they won, and the last quarter wasn't played.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    "Lazy americans make me hard" - Polt (c) 2013

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    GOGOGO POLT!

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Oh shit, vs Taeja? :( I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WANT!

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    MMMig wrote: »

Losing 13 marines to medivacs dying aint so hot.

Heh, I was refering to picking up the tank to avoid the hunter seeker missile.
    Also cool is using blink to bait out a widow mine shot w/o taking any damage.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular

Hahahaha this guy

I watched that game, actually, it was a lot of fun to watch. Because an all or nothing gamble that is the last 5 seconds of a 60 minute incredibly even game is a lot more awesome than one which takes up 20% of a series. It would be more like if at the start of the 4th quarter, the Patriots could choose to try and kick a field goal, the opposing team wasn't allowed on the field, and if the kick went in, then the game was over, they won, and the last quarter wasn't played.

Stop being a goose, dude. You should able to see how that's a flawed analogy. It's not as if the other player has no chance of defending a cheese, in fact, cheesey play usually fails especially with good scouting. In that analogy, it'd be if they could choose to make a kick that the other team could choose to play safe and defend for a 100% win.

Isn't blind eco greed just as cheesy (in that it'll fail if scouted/with prior knowledge) than a 6pool? Otherwise, why wouldn't everyone just 14cc, nex first, etc. If you get mad at cheese, you should get mad at blind eco greed/eco cheese as well.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Artosis strikes again
    ibluS4mQGFVnVu.PNG

Just checked for that post, it's a shop but still very funny though. :)

chuckleberryfinn on
    No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    NASL really fired Terry over that?

Ugh. So lame.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Taeja banshee too stronk!

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    Ya'll are being geese. Cheese is a part of all games and there's nothing illegitimate or dishonorable about it.
    True, true. That's the objective stance. But that doesn't clash with me holding the subjective opinion of JD pulling some lucky move outta his ass. Shame Scar didn't scout it better though.

What IS a fucking travesty though is WCS AM starting a whole lot earlier than it usually does though! ):<
    It's never started before 00:00 over here this whole week! Didn't see shit until polt/taeja had barely started :(

• Options

I don't think free kicks are really that luck based. Given the amount of preparation that is allowed from both the offensive and defensive side in that situation. There is a certain amount of randomness, but you should know, at very high level football, from the positioning of the other team, and the way you've positioned your defence, and the way the player taking the kick usually likes to play set pieces at this angle, what the most likely outcome of a free kick is gonna be.

That, and there's always the ability of raw skill of a single player to overcome the randomness of a situation. If the keeper is fast enough, then it doesn't matter how good the shot is, he'll save it. Admittedly, some free kicks are fucking unstoppable, but hey, they shouldn't have fouled in the first place.

No, free kicks are generally considered almost pure luck. It's a better dice throw, because at least you need a minimum amount of skill. Much like cheese.

I think thats another thing that makes it more OK to watch a free kick get hammered in than watching a 6 pool. The very best players can bring their own style to set pieces, and you can appreciate the difference between the very best and somebody who is simply good in this situation. By contrast, 6 lings running across the map and killing workers is going to look pretty similar no matter what level you're at. There's no variation, and no personality to the play. Its just boring.

• Options
    Derrick wrote: »

Ugh. So lame.

What he did was deeply lame, so I think it's even stevens.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013

there's no blind luck, sorry. you can choose to play safe against everything or actively choose not to.

if you choose not to and the other person guesses correctly, you lose. pro sports have similar situations.

bad enough you shit all over the thread when you're mad at yourself, I didn't know I had to expect it during literally every fucking game played as well. fantastic.
    His tournament results pretty much prove that you have no idea what you're talking about,

All I see are a bunch of second places.

And if you ain't first, you might as well be last.

stunningly ignorant

why do you think they don't just only play finals with 2 random people?

I am astonished.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options

Ugh. So lame.

And what exactly was so terrible?

• Options
    Terry's life is pretty much over at this point.

Good luck ever getting a job anywhere when you got fired from your internship for being racist.

Poor guy.

• Options
    Euphemon wrote: »
    Cheese isn't always a blind gamble. It's been said before, but JD is a king of mind gaming his opponent. At that level you don't just randomly cheese and expect to win, you have to make your opponent think you aren't going to do it.

If you look at the success rate of cheese play or allins by Jaedong I guarantee it will be far, far above the expected win rate. Even if you count all Koreans (or even tournament play in general), the average cheese winrate would be higher than expected. There's nothing wrong with playing your opponent, not just the game. Only reason it's such a big deal is cause he eliminated a foreign hope. When Luci proxy Thor'd, everyone's like OOOOOOOOOO MINDGAMES SO SMART etc. etc.

look at mvp 2 raxing vs mkp 2 raxing

• Options
    I think Terry is just more stupid than racist, I feel bad for him but I'm not surprised.

• Options
    "I'm sitting next to this guy. For diversity. Because he's darker."

It's a stupid thing to say to someone. And he might apparently still be translating; just taken out of the caster/public personality thing.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Terry's life is pretty much over at this point.

Good luck ever getting a job anywhere when you got fired from your internship for being racist.

Poor guy.

... what?

ed: life? over?

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options

Ugh. So lame.

You really don't see the issue there?

• Options
    gretorp just described taeja as playing no rush 20 minutes right after his cloak banshee got 6 scv kills

I get what he meant, but... he said it totally wrong! harassing while being greedy at home is a thing... a very different thing from simply hoping you aren't attacked.

(still love you gretorp)

• Options
    Variable wrote: »

if you choose not to and the other person guesses correctly

Thats luck. The guy cheesing has no way of knowing if he's gonna get scouted or not. Its a gamble. Yes the opponent *can* scout, thats a gamble as well. And when these two gambles align in the way that lets the cheeser get a free win, thats just the cheeser getting lucky.

• Options

Ugh. So lame.

No, because I actually watched the interview (and just rewatched it). The guy was smiling the entire time.

If anything, Mr. Bitters blew it up immediately with his comments afterwards.

Like I said, L.A.M.E.

• Options

Ugh. So lame.

I actually don't

did they fire him on the spot? must have happened pretty quickly

• Options

Ugh. So lame.

No, because I actually watched the interview (and just rewatched it). The guy was smiling the entire time.

Like I said, L.A.M.E.

I strongly disagree, and apparently NASL does as well.

• Options
    PANZERKRIEG!

TvT most metal matchup.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options

Ugh. So lame.

I actually don't

did they fire him on the spot? must have happened pretty quickly

Pointing out someone's race as something that makes them different (which is precisely what that comment was meant to do) is pretty bad.

• Options

Ugh. So lame.

Like I said, L.A.M.E.

I strongly disagree, and apparently NASL does as well.

Apparently NASL actually disagrees with you, or they realize how stupid it was and are walking it back.

• Options

if you choose not to and the other person guesses correctly

Thats luck. The guy cheesing has no way of knowing if he's gonna get scouted or not. Its a gamble. Yes the opponent *can* scout, thats a gamble as well. And when these two gambles align in the way that lets the cheeser get a free win, thats just the cheeser getting lucky.

it's not blind luck when you've played the same person 5 times in a row

or when you can infer what they'll do from their style or even the meta

scouting isn't a gamble. not scouting is a gamble. scouting lets you know what you need to know no matter what. you lose some mining time in exchange but you gain knowledge 100% of the time.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Derrick beat me to Bitter's status. :)

chuckleberryfinn on
  • Options
    I thought it was just a joke making fun of people who actually DO hire/interview/photograph people to show their "diversity". I honestly don't care, but some people find it offensive/rude I guess.

This discussion has been closed.