As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[North Korea]... pretty pictures of the DMZ all up in Page 1

124»

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    "Damnit Rodman, you're the best chance we have to get peace to North Korea!"

"I thought I got out of that game a long time ago... but I guess I'll give it a shot."

Worm Your Way In: Coming Summer 2014

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Jesus.... Rodman's speech is way more diplomatic than I ever would have expected. I'm rather impressed.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    It's not the first time a deep cover agent has gotten married to keep up their cover... but it's the first time a deep cover agent has gotten married to theirself...

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Jesus.... Rodman's speech is way more diplomatic than I ever would have expected. I'm rather impressed.

To be fair--the bar is pretty low (as a consequence of Pyongyang's general intransigence).

Both in regards to US rhetoric, and, you know, Dennis Rodman.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    There is a similar situation in the Falklands. The penguins aren't heavy enough to trip the mines, but sheep are. So the minefields have become de facto protected penguin habitats.

Well, really, it's also a perfect wool-harvesting method.

Wait, does that only work in Minecraft?

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Another day, another atrocity.
    http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/09/06/20353287-human-rights-group-thousands-of-n-korean-prisoners-disappeared-from-gulag

That is ... a lot of missing prisoners. Were they buried alive inside empty mines to reduce food consumption? Did they all starve to death? Were they rehabilitated and released back into society? Only Kim Jong Un knows.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Diplomat rodman could free Bae, calls Obama and hillary assholes? lol

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/06/world/asia/rodman-north-korea/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/06/world/asia/rodman-north-korea/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

What is he wearing on his head in that? He looked at first like he was wearing a tin foil hat. Which given the circumstances wouldn't actually be all that odd in this case.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    emnmnme wrote: »
    http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/09/06/20353287-human-rights-group-thousands-of-n-korean-prisoners-disappeared-from-gulag

That is ... a lot of missing prisoners. Were they buried alive inside empty mines to reduce food consumption? Did they all starve to death? Were they rehabilitated and released back into society? Only Kim Jong Un knows.

Well, Kim Jong Un and the soldiers guarding the guy who dug the holes.

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

I like to think Kim Jong Un personally shot everyone involved. It makes it seem less horrific than reality.

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »

I like to think Kim Jong Un personally shot everyone involved. It makes it seem less horrific than reality.

Yes, but you can't expect him to dig his own holes as well. And that's where the guards come in, because at some point the schlub with the shovel is going to figure out he's digging 100 holes for 99 bodies.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    Tommatt wrote: »

m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24001206
    Speaking to reporters, he said: "He's my friend for life - I don't care what you guys think about him."

"Friend for life" has a totally different connotation when used in reference to one of the Kims.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Veevee wrote: »

Yes, but you can't expect him to dig his own holes as well. And that's where the guards come in, because at some point the schlub with the shovel is going to figure out he's digging 100 holes for 99 bodies.

I'd say he'd be more than happy to operate an excavator himself, if only he had the gas to turn it on.

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Very rare occurrence, but definitely relevant: South Korean border forces spotted a man trying to flee across a river on the border to the North, and killed him.

More here. We don't know anything yet, but presumably he was a Northern spy or sympathizer. In any case, standard procedure: they issued warnings, telling him to get back out of the river, and when he didn't obey, they shot him.

EDIT: Whoops!

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Very rare occurrence, but definitely relevant: South Korean border forces spotted a man trying to flee across a river on the border to the North, and killed him.

More here. We don't know anything yet, but presumably he was a Northern spy or sympathizer. In any case, standard procedure: they issued warnings, telling me to get back out of the river, and when he didn't obey, they shot him.

Goddammit, Synth, I respect your devotion to your northern overlords, but you should've listened to the men with the big guns.

• Options
    I am a pretty awesome swimmer. You may know me by my pen name, 'Nyad'.

• Options
    Dude swimming towards the South Koreans - do not shoot.
    Dude swimming away from the South Koreans - warn and shoot.

These rules are reversed for the snipers on the North Korean side, of course.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Guys, I wore my suit in Hongdae over the weekend and was swarmed by English teahcers and Korean women. I was simultaneously helping a Korean add me on Facebook while chatting with a teacher. I came here a shy, shy man, now I don't know what's going to happen. :D

I always show off the pictures of my trips of the DMZ and the various hiking trips. They always like it when you show that you've traveled and actually learned something.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

Jesus, you could take quotes from that and make the most depressing game ever - 'North Korea or Hunger Games?'

There isn't really even much else to say. Just that it's a fucked up mess, and there doesn't seem to be any way of making it unfucked until after it collapses under it's own weight. I know things can always get worse, but I don't see how things can really get that much worse at all.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »

Jesus, you could take quotes from that and make the most depressing game ever - 'North Korea or Hunger Games?'

There isn't really even much else to say. Just that it's a fucked up mess, and there doesn't seem to be any way of making it unfucked until after it collapses under it's own weight. I know things can always get worse, but I don't see how things can really get that much worse at all.

It is genuinely hard to imagine. Like, most actual disasters which would normally be devestating would likely create a huge opening for us to move in and improve things, or for the North Koreans to kick the government out and things would just get better by virtue of not being made actively worse for no reason (pay your government manager bribes so you can not go to work to do nothing, so you can instead work somewhere else and earn money or something to buy food).

• Options
    Oh snap! The uncle was removed from his military post last week. Executed for disloyalty to Kim Jong Un.
    An uncle of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has been executed, the Korean Central News Agency reports.

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I know things can always get worse, but I don't see how things can really get that much worse at all.

You knew the trope and you invoked it anyway.

Honestly, Un isn't even showing any of the wacky bits of evil like Il and Sung. None of the bizarre 'inspections' of conveniently-well-stocked food supplies or anything like that. It's just cold-blooded brutality and mayhem and death death death so far. Something tells me he's going to be the one to launch the missiles at Seoul one day and it'll be more related to him thinking he's losing grip on power and deciding to take everyone in the country with him than anything having to do with us.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Gosling wrote: »
    Something tells me he's going to be the one to launch the missiles at Seoul one day and it'll be more related to him thinking he's losing grip on power and deciding to take everyone in the country with him than anything having to do with us.

I've got my money on 'assassinated by 23 daggers in the back' within the next three years.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I know things can always get worse, but I don't see how things can really get that much worse at all.

Honestly, Un isn't even showing any of the wacky bits of evil like Il and Sung. None of the bizarre 'inspections' of conveniently-well-stocked food supplies or anything like that. It's just cold-blooded brutality and mayhem and death death death so far. Something tells me he's going to be the one to launch the missiles at Seoul one day and it'll be more related to him thinking he's losing grip on power and deciding to take everyone in the country with him than anything having to do with us.

It won't be "screw it you're all coming with me". It'll be because he thinks he's losing his grip on power and convinces himself they'll genuinely win the war with SK and America will stay out of it etc.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

It won't be "screw it you're all coming with me". It'll be because he thinks he's losing his grip on power and convinces himself they'll genuinely win the war with SK and America will stay out of it etc.

American soldiers are stationed in Seoul pretty much as a guarantee that the US won't stay out of any attack on the city.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

nikolai-yezhov-nkvd.jpg

It's a consolidation of power; in a fascist autocracy, it's usually a sign that things are working as intended (purges are very important for a dictator, since their most dangerous adversaries are likely to be those in their own party).

North Korea's always going to be a worry until either the dynasty collapses or someone within it decides for whatever reason that their casus belli against the South is worth more than their self-contained little empire, but purges aren't an especially ominous omen.

To be king, Numsgil did in Blog, who did in Unkful, who did in Viddle, who did in Loll, who did in Alrok. . . .

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I wonder if it was a matter of, "My brother was a better leader than you, kid."

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    To be fair, a marmoset is a better leader.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    The Ender wrote: »
    nikolai-yezhov-nkvd.jpg

GDufBij.jpg

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    The first rule of being a facist dictator is to share power with no one, as Gandalf reminded us. There was no room for a Number Two. I speculate that the fact that the public even knew his uncle made him a valid threat.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I think I heard on NPR that the uncle was the Regent during the transition between Il and Un, and during that period filled a lot of positions in the government.

So yeah.. there's likely more coming.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Il and Un are base-metals?

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    nikolai-yezhov-nkvd.jpg

GDufBij.jpg

"Uncle? What uncle?"

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    So, has he been Un-personed?

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Man, it's such an anachronism to have this shit from a half-century a half ago happening now. Stalin with Photoshop, although it's not like most of NK has moved past 1940s tech anyway.

North Korea makes the Hunger Games world look like a nice place to live.

• Options

lolCentralizedEconomicPlanning

• Options

The odds: never in your favor.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

The odds: still better than living in North Korea.