Options

[GTA5] Old thread, ready to lock.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    "this user is not sharing game stats" :P

How do we remedy this, boss?

(Boss? Don? OG?)
    Make that user share their stats. Can you see Jesse's as linked? I can.

("Commissioner Darksun")
    darleysam wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    WANG purge? Where's the verification form. I'll be playing, I have the game, I'm just waiting for my girlfriend to get back from the States in a few weeks, and would like to not be kicked out of the group if that's okay.
    Both are in my sig - here is the Verification Form. If you're already in the Social Club, this is the form to fill out.

If you haven't been added already, please fill out an Invite Request Form.

TPS report optional.

Cheers bro. Like I said, I'm not active right now and may end up waiting a couple of weeks until I start playing, but I totally have the game and will be an active participant, so don't want to get cut if it's not necessary.
    No worries dude, we're not cutting folk for inactivity. We're just trying to prune the non-PA folk who slipped in while we were public.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Bubby wrote: »
    There's no straw man, he's pointing out that your objection makes no sense. The torture sequence forces the player to self reflect on the typically meaningless and mundane ultraviolence prevalent in AAA games like this or CoD. It's the opposite of No Russian. It uses something shocking to show that human beings are human beings even within the game, not just targets to shoot down. It's not cynical, mindless depravity like No Russian was.

Thing about "No Russian" is you didn't actually have to murder the unarmed civilians at the beginning. You could get away with not firing a single shot until the swat cops show up, at which point it becomes a matter of self-defense. The point is, I could at very least choose not to take an active part in the atrocity about to be committed, wheras GTA refuses to continue until I take an active role in a dude's torture.

Here's the thing about GTA V... it's satirizing its own gameplay. If you don't get it, that's fine. If you don't like it, that's fine too. But many people like Adam Sessler figured it out and really love the game because of this. Rockstar saw all the complaints about GTA4 and its 'ludonarrative dissonance' and decided to concentrate on that next game. They took the three previous MCs (Claude, Vercetti and CJ), and made modern equivalents with backgrounds that matched the violence. Here's a game where Rockstar's saying 'So you want characters with personalities to match the violence level? Alright, here's your psychopaths... be careful what you wish for'.

That's all they did. They took all the controversies and complaints from their previous games and made a GTA sequel satirizing ALL of it. You now have characters just as psychotic, or with varying degrees of psychotic, as the violence they engage in. You're not supposed to like them, or glorify them, or sympathize with them. You're supposed to play the game as the villain, with all the uncomfortable moments that come with it, and relish the way Rockstar can satire villainous stories... turning something that could've been a Breaking Bad or Sons of Anarchy or The Shield, and making it a black comedy parody of that popular TV genre. And I think they did it well.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I think Rockstar should try making some of their spoof movies from the posters.
    I would be willing to pay to see Sequel II: Let's do it again, again.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Online is going to be so boring for me. I'm never going to have enough money. Errrrrr any money.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    On torture:
    There's a Weasel News report that plays after the mission that says the guy you shot was a beloved community philanthropists. While he may have been a secret bad guy, I read it more as the morons at the FIB got you to shoot some innocent guy.

Which is kind of a theme. A later mission has you murdering guards to kill a nerve agent that turns out to be a perfume sample.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    On torture:
    There's a Weasel News report that plays after the mission that says the guy you shot was a beloved community philanthropists. While he may have been a secret bad guy, I read it more as the morons at the FIB got you to shoot some innocent guy.

Which is kind of a theme. A later mission has you murdering guards to kill a nerve agent that turns out to be a perfume sample.

What happens if you just shoot a random guy?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Jurgen_Jurgen_ FinlandRegistered User regular
    Though you all have moved onto a conversation about a torture scene, I just flew a chopper for the first time as Frankling in flight school and I quite liked it. It took a while to get used to the controls, but I now have all the lessons on gold for both planes and the choppers. I didn't really notice the sway in the choppers that much, or at least it didn't bother me. If it makes any sense or not, I don't know. All I know is I enjoyed the heck out of flying those things and look forward to terrorizing people online.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah I have flying down to a fine art. Weaving through skyscrapers in a helicopter is so good.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    RE: that scene
    When Trevor tells the guy at the end that torture is really for the torturer, I believe he was really talking about himself more than the Fed. Trevor is interesting because he can see and identify his problems, but not stop acting out. And he's crazy enough to embrace and celebrate that dichotomy.

As far as why he went along with the Feds anyway, one word: loyalty. Yeah, he could have resisted, but that would have led to the people he cares about - Wade, Ron, Chef, Michael, and Franklin - getting into (more) trouble. Trevor has clear issues with abandonment and actually has a deep, albeit twisted, love for his friends. He might be crazy, but he's not dumb. He wouldn't do anything that would risk him losing his friends.

Finally, I don't see why GTA isn't the perfect vehicle to look at torture. This has been R*'s serious generation. GTA IV...RDR...LA Noire. It fits that V would have something more serious under the surface than "Whee! Heists!" Given that this particular franchise is known for its high body count and wanton destruction, I can't think of a better title to slam on the breaks and hold a mirror up to the player. Someone else mentioned Splinter Cell, and someone else complained that the torture scene didn't fit GTA simply because it 'doesn't fit' (whatever that's supposed to mean). And that's exactly the point. You've just been put through a breaching experiment, and the discomfort and seeming dissonance is intentional. You're not supposed to like the scene, and not just because of the torture itself, but because it changes the frame of reference you're sharing with the game. We expect torture in war titles like Splinter Cell, and that expectation lessens the impact.

While it's not on par with the breaching experiment that WAS MGS2, it's still pretty brilliant. You're supposed to be angry that this heinous and suddenly real and personal violation is stopping your enjoyment of killing cops, assassinating business leaders, running over animals, and playing a god in this digital world where most interactions with others is not unlike a child ripping the wings off a fly.

So, if you're angry and disgusted, good. You're supposed to be.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Is there a way to make the fucking thing come to a complete stop and just hover? Actual flying from A to B is fine, it's when you reach B that it turns to shit. Or when you have to do any amount of fine tune flying, as the missions so love to make you do.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I'm actually really looking forward to all the collect-a-thon stuff. I'm hoping that there's just a bunch of interesting out-of-the-way shit that Rockstar will be guiding me towards, sort of like the manuscript pages in Alan Wake.

The payment cards and property management have got me kind of nervous for online. I hope Rockstar knows what they're doing. :\

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    i am amazed at all the easter eggs that are in this game. its like they took a list of all rumours and myths from san andreas and put everything in and then some.

• Options
    I'm actually really looking forward to all the collect-a-thon stuff. I'm hoping that there's just a bunch of interesting out-of-the-way shit that Rockstar will be guiding me towards, sort of like the manuscript pages in Alan Wake.
    Good news. There are letter scraps to find.

Also... (minor spoiler)
    UFO parts.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Is there a way to make the fucking thing come to a complete stop and just hover? Actual flying from A to B is fine, it's when you reach B that it turns to shit. Or when you have to do any amount of fine tune flying, as the missions so love to make you do.

Just get to the altitude you want and don't press either of the descend/ascend buttons. You just stay in place and hover for as long as you want

• Options
    I couldn't find a tractor yesterday to try it out but I wonder if you can actually Farm? I've seen npcs er....erm taking the field using. ..... the raker thing. I was on a mission else I would've nicked his ride and tried it.

• Options
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I couldn't find a tractor yesterday to try it out but I wonder if you can actually Farm? I've seen npcs er....erm taking the field using. ..... the raker thing. I was on a mission else I would've nicked his ride and tried it.
    Wait, no one has gifted you Farm Sim 2k13 yet?

• Options
    Oh I already have it, vita version too! I'm just contemplating whether I need those other games if GTA V already had it covered.

• Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    On torture:

If you really think that was a perfume sample after that kind of military response, you really should believe the news less. The perfume / animal testing lab stuff is just a cover for the military chemical weapons lab.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    I took the Red Pill...

0_0.jpg

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    Not gonna lie, I really do think Rockstar went waaaaay overboard on the whole "grim and horrible" thing. I mean, I enjoy the Trevor transitions, sure, but Rockstar has a serious hard-on in GTAV for making the most pointlessly fuck-awful horribly grim situations. There's satire, and then there's "look at us and how exxxxtreeeeeme we can make this story!"

I mean, having the player actively participate in serious torture? Way over the line. There are horrible characters here, we get that. There was no need at all to involve the player in that sort of bullshit, though. It doesn't make me take the story more seriously, it just reinforces my thinking that Rockstar can't write a real story without making it disgustingly, pointlessly horrible most of the time. May as well just throw in story-mandated player-controlled rape while they're at it, just to show how much they're really really pushing the envelope.

It's a story about criminals and guess what, criminals are horrible people. Want to see how real gangsters operate? Try Judas Pig by Horace Silver to see just how horrible these people are.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Timelapse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=197Li1LJ6kI

PC players are going to be in for a treat.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Ya know the biggest bug i wish they would fix? Okay, so i follow the laws in GTA, when red light i stop, for example. The GTAIV coders, apparently, had no idea that anyone would do that. When i am stopped at a red light the car behind me honks, waits a few seconds, the crashes into my car, like i am blocking traffic, then peacefully stops at the car in front of me and patiently waits out the red light O_o
    If i am considered a PART of traffic in GTAV once i can PC it up, i will be overjoyed. san Andreas civvies treated you like a part of traffic, kind of odd that they would get rid of that in IV

MordaRazgrom on
    Monster Hunter Tri code/username: 1MF42Z (Morda)
    WiiU Username: MordaRazgrom
    Steam Username: MordaRazgrom
    WoW/Diablo 3 Battlenet Battletag: MordaRazgrom#1755
    Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Yeah I have flying down to a fine art. Weaving through skyscrapers in a helicopter is so good.

Tried to beat you to completing all Knife Flights

I ate so many building edges. D:

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    Flying (and landing, in particular) was a huge chore and pretty difficult for me until I learned how valuable the bumper buttons are. They let you line up your plane or redirect the direction of your helicopter without affecting the levelness of your aircraft. If you're having trouble flying a plane or landing a helicopter, try using the bumpers a lot more. Flying has been a breeze for me ever since I figured that one out.

• Options
    Oh, one thing that's gonna suck re: completionism is that Under The Bridge / Knife Flights (and presumably Stunt Jumps too?) don't actually keep track of completed ones. Like GTAIV said "bridge already flown under" if you hit one you'd already done, no such thing here - so it's gonna be unclear whether you're in the wrong place or if you've already done it.

...also I am actually gonna go for 100% now I know it's not a true value like SA or IV's missable one.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    Oh, one thing that's gonna suck re: completionism is that Under The Bridge / Knife Flights (and presumably Stunt Jumps too?) don't actually keep track of completed ones. Like GTAIV said "bridge already flown under" if you hit one you'd already done, no such thing here - so it's gonna be unclear whether you're in the wrong place or if you've already done it.

...also I am actually gonna go for 100% now I know it's not a true value like SA or IV's missable one.

Yeah, but when you fly under a new bridge, it tells you how many bridges you've flown under. If you fly under an old bridge, it doesn't show you anything. So you can use that to conclude that you've flown under it already.

• Options
    ins0mniacins0mniac Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    First off, game is amazing.

Secondly, ya'll are way too sensitive to the torture scene.

Let's get all abloobloobloo over that while we make no stink over slaughtering cops and innocents on our drive over there.

ins0mniac on
    X-Box Live Gamertag: Merciless319
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    ins0mniac wrote: »

Let's get all abloobloobloo over that while we make no stink over slaughtering cops and innocents on our drive over there.

Also, coyotes. I have run over lots and lots of coyotes.

And when I get home, I'm going to knife a shark.

• Options
    I've not seen a shark yet
    Because I have stayed the fuck away from the ocean. I don't need that.

Oh brilliant
  • Options

Michael has a really good shrink session where he...
    ...talks about how he ran over a dude on the way here and felt nothing.

Which was awesome, because I had.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Mid to late game spoiler
    I'm taking Patricia home to Martin with Trevor, and I notice on the radio is Los Santos Rock playing Chicago's "If You Leave Me Now."

Is this a scripted song and it happens for everyone? It was such a perfect song for the drive I can't imagine it being random, but it certainly could have been.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited September 2013

The problem & difference with the torture sequences is that it's an American-published game winking and nodding about American-committed atrocities that actually occurred in the real world. The violence in GTA is a hyperbolic, sometimes rather smart (and otherwise just hilarious / gratuitous) commentary on criminal elements in modern society. The torture scenes aren't commentary - they're having a good laugh at the idea that it's wrong to do that.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    @jdarksun I did all your things yesterday, can I get approved into the crew? Figment33 is my username.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Mid to late game spoiler
    I'm taking Patricia home to Martin with Trevor, and I notice on the radio is Los Santos Rock playing Chicago's "If You Leave Me Now."

Is this a scripted song and it happens for everyone? It was such a perfect song for the drive I can't imagine it being random, but it certainly could have been.

Yea that is 100% scripted.. and hilarious.

• Options
    Figgy wrote: »
    jdarksun I did all your things yesterday, can I get approved into the crew? Figment33 is my username.
    @Figgy done.

• Options
    ins0mniacins0mniac Registered User regular

And you didn't feel anything either, which is the point.

Yes you play terrible people.
    This is GTA. It's expected. I don't understand why people have chosen THAT, especially since you
    let him live
    to get their pannies in a bunch when it's all said and done.

If they are this upset over a fictitious torture scene, I hope they are playing their game on the White House front lawn in protest of the actual, real torture that happens.

X-Box Live Gamertag: Merciless319
  • Options

And you didn't feel anything either, which is the point.
    That's not true.

I laughed.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Ya know the biggest bug i wish they would fix? Okay, so i follow the laws in GTA, when red light i stop, for example. The GTAIV coders, apparently, had no idea that anyone would do that. When i am stopped at a red light the car behind me honks, waits a few seconds, the crashes into my car, like i am blocking traffic, then peacefully stops at the car in front of me and patiently waits out the red light O_o
    If i am considered a PART of traffic in GTAV once i can PC it up, i will be overjoyed. san Andreas civvies treated you like a part of traffic, kind of odd that they would get rid of that in IV

I think that's because the traffic in SA was a lot more simplistic. They didn't do any real collision avoidance, they just drove forward and stopped if something was in the way. Whatever they're doing to simulate the traffic in the RAGE games, the player certainly doesn't factor into it. Except to actively get in your way when you're trying to speed past them. Whether that is a hardware limitation or a design choice, it's obvious that R★ looks at your behavior as an edge case, and not really one worth spending the man hours on correcting.

So you follow laws, but how far do you take it? Do you stop when you hit someone to file an accident report? Do you turn yourself in when you get a wanted level? Do you walk or call a taxi to get anywhere to avoid resorting to grand theft auto? I know there are plenty of side missions and collectibles in this game, but that still strikes me as a very odd way of playing a GTA game. But congrats to R★ on supporting multiple playstyles I suppose.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/51422/some-more-details-on-grand-theft-auto-online.html

for people bitching about buying in-game cash with real monies, rejoice! it is online only, and funds used in GTA online cannot be used in single player. they didn't make money hard to earn in campaign just to nickel and dime you guys, like some had feared. they did it to be dicks.

• Options
    Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    OK, so I'm going through a second playthrough now, and I'm doing the mission at the beginning where I'm (I'm not even going to spoiler this, as it's like the 2nd mission) sneaking in a house to repo a car.

Has anyone stopped and watched the videogame playing out? I laughed my ass off, especially at the loading screens saying to buy as much DLC as possible, and "Hint: Shoot at people with accents!"

Seriously, you need to watch it. It's like a good 4 minute loop.
    Edit - ahh here you go :) Righteous Slaughter 7, there's about 1 min of "gameplay" in the trailer available on the ingame website (:33 into this video) youtube.com/watch?v=l5Ek8zYwKlM

Lt. Fragg on
This discussion has been closed.