As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox One Thread: Chug and charge the gamertag list in the OP!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Haha okay.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Regardless of what people choose to believe or what Microsoft says, wait til early next year if you don't plan on buying the One immediately. Hell, wait six months. I won't be shocked if they release it without the Kinect. And if they don't, well... you'll have a pretty HAL to sit on your shelf to not use.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'll be genuinely surprised if we don't see a Kinect-less 360 bundle within a year or two (assuming it isn't a surprise sales monster, of course).

Microsoft's stubborn, but they're not THAT stubborn.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Whether or not the Xbone will have a Kinect-less version is entirely up to sales in probably just the first 3-4 months; personally, I have fully every expectation that Microsoft will release a Kinect-less version. Devs may get pissed about the change, but what are the devs going to do, not develop for the Xbone? And being able to shave a $100-$150 off the cost of the system is going to immediately make the thing have much stronger appeal, not to mention that it's a change that Microsoft can do without so much as touching the core Xbone hardware itself. Microsoft's big mistake was simply letting stupid corporate types insist on including hardware that was based on demand 3-4 years out of date; they tried to play catchup instead of anticipating trends, which blew up in their face in terms of PR.

Regardless, I don't see a solid reason for picking up either system early on. That first six months is where we get to see which major issues crop up, and I've got a PC that's gonna run everything anyway once I do a video card upgrade anyway. PS4 or Xbone, I'd say everybody should just wait it out a bit, unless they're lucky enough to not care about the cost at all and can just buy them whenever they feel like it.

• Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's good to hear. I'll get an X1 eventually, it'll just happen sooner if I can get a model $100 less without a kinect. If something super awesome comes out that requires it, then I can buy one. If they never sell a kinect less version, I'll just wait longer and leave HAL in the box

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I am not expecting a Kinect-less version. There is a very good reason for why it's included in the box, even if we may not care for the device. Microsoft spent a lot of time and resources developing that piece of hardware, and they want developers to use it. And if those developers are going to feel like they can safely do so, they can't be worrying about adoption rates. There was little [worthwhile] content for the original Kinect and the PlayStation Eye exactly because they were optional devices. Developers couldn't be certain there was a big enough audience for their games.

Everyone likes to joke about Microsoft's about face with the Xbox One, but I really don't think they consider the Kinect a joke.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I can't imagine getting a Kinect-less version anytime before 2015. If you want a next-gen console anytime soon, it's either a PS4 or a One+Kinect.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Serious question: are there any non-Microsoft developers doing anything for Kinect at this point besides Harmonix with that Fantasia thing? I get the impression everyone's given up on Kinect already.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm more curious about the long-term for this console generation; right now I think we can all agree that, at best, it's going to be a close race with Sony having the early advantage in not having a sea of bad PR to swim out of. I'm curious if, over the long term if MS manages to pull ahead, do they try and ressurect some of these programs they scrapped?

I'll be honest, the DRM thing was't an awful idea; it's basically how Steam works. What was awful is that MS failed hard on messaging; harder than I think any major company in recent memory. They failed to explain the gains vs the losses and essentially mocked anyone who questioned them. Even when they did start bringing up the benefits; they completely failed to properly detail them, letting rumor and speculation take over for facts.

They wanted us to believe they'll have great sales like Steam; but without having first demonstrated it in the nearly 8 years they had the 360 out. (Even the sales they had this most recent year; while better, still aren't anything special.) They trotted out the family sharing program, but when it sounded too good to be true, MS wasn't terribly forthcoming in regards to follow-up questions. From what I know of computers, the cloud stuff CAN be a great tool, but the best they showed off for it basically wound up being dedicated servers for Titanfall.

It really feels like they wanted to introduce this new future (which to be honest, was a future that basically revolved around "how do we get our cut of the used games market?") but completely failed to realize that they needed to justify the transition, expecting everyone to go along with it because it's the new hotness, I guess. I think we can all agree that MS just shelved these ideas; not trashed them. With Xbox Live Arcade (or whatever it's called) and most (if not all) games being available digitially, they still have the opportunity to prove these ideas; the family share idea can still exist, just for digitial. Likewise, they can use their digitial front to demonstrate how good thier sales are going to be.

Microsoft can still usher in a glorious digital revolution; but they have to prove they can do it before people will buy in. I'm curious if they're going to try this generation, or if they'll wait for the wheel to come around again.

...Man, that was rambly.

Anywho, I'm skipping launch for both consoles (not enough titles I want, plus the PC has been KICKING ASS); the money saved might go to a VR setup (Occulus Rift/Omni Treadmill/ STEM motion controls). PS4 is a little bit ahead for me if I do wind up buying in, but if at some point MS slapped together a kinectless box for like $375, I'm not sure who I'd get then.

• Options
    I don't think they'll bring back always online or the install scheme they had. But they might re-introduce family sharing later for digital titles.

• Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Aaahhh Xbox One thread :)

Slapped down a preorder when the free Forza bundle became available here.

Going to likely pick up Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct day one and then Battlefield 4 and possibly Ryse pending reviews on payday a week or so later.

Will hopefully get a pay rise this month to pay for the thing otherwise I'm skint!

That controller... I neeeeds it!

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    I am not expecting a Kinect-less version. There is a very good reason for why it's included in the box, even if we may not care for the device. Microsoft spent a lot of time and resources developing that piece of hardware, and they want developers to use it. And if those developers are going to feel like they can safely do so, they can't be worrying about adoption rates. There was little [worthwhile] content for the original Kinect and the PlayStation Eye exactly because they were optional devices. Developers couldn't be certain there was a big enough audience for their games.

Everyone likes to joke about Microsoft's about face with the Xbox One, but I really don't think they consider the Kinect a joke.

I totally agree. If they want the Kinect to take off, it needs to be in every box. I'll just wait and see what the motion controls can do this time around. Who knows, they might pull off something awesome and I'll be throwing money at them trying to get mine. That would actually be great.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    @Salvation122 Have you or your roommate had a chance to test out the recognition when picking up a controller? In other words, does it actually turn on and do <things> based on who picked it up?

The beta unit is limited to a single XBL account for obvious reasons so we haven't been able to test that.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Serious question: are there any non-Microsoft developers doing anything for Kinect at this point besides Harmonix with that Fantasia thing? I get the impression everyone's given up on Kinect already.
    We've not heard a lot at this point, I can only think of the dash integration, Harmonix with Fantasia, Rare with new Kinect Sports, I think Ryse uses voice commands for moving your army dudes about in single player, no idea about Forza.

Here's a pretty long Project Spark video which shows off some of the Kinect mocap stuff you can add to games, I've only watched to the 30min mark, no idea about the second half!

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/15/4733952/project-spark-video-features-kinect-capture-gameplay

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Apparently Killer Instinct will be using Kinect to automatically select preferred keybindings and character selections as players put down and pick up controllers.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    I did not know that, and I've been trying to follow KI (want to know the final season 1 characters, and man, that game has some sizzling effects). Sounds nifty, ta!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I remember in interviews Kojima said he was excited about getting Kinect stuff into MGSV, and if there is anyone who is going to come up with interesting stuff for Kinect it would be him.

I don't plan on getting either new console at launch (of course the PS4 is coming out late here in Japan and the One is coming out...??? Maybe I will get to find out this weekend at TGS) and will wait around for killer apps to come out. If MGSV comes out with some really awesome Kinect stuff that the PS4 lacks that could easily swing my purchase. Personally I am not expecting much from the Kinect though, but I would love to be surprised.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    microsoft has said they will never sell a kinect-less version. unless you happen upon a used one with kinect stripped out, each box is gonna have one.

microsoft says a lot of things especially lately

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    I'm more curious about the long-term for this console generation; right now I think we can all agree that, at best, it's going to be a close race with Sony having the early advantage in not having a sea of bad PR to swim out of. I'm curious if, over the long term if MS manages to pull ahead, do they try and ressurect some of these programs they scrapped?

I'll be honest, the DRM thing was't an awful idea; it's basically how Steam works. What was awful is that MS failed hard on messaging; harder than I think any major company in recent memory. They failed to explain the gains vs the losses and essentially mocked anyone who questioned them. Even when they did start bringing up the benefits; they completely failed to properly detail them, letting rumor and speculation take over for facts.

They wanted us to believe they'll have great sales like Steam; but without having first demonstrated it in the nearly 8 years they had the 360 out. (Even the sales they had this most recent year; while better, still aren't anything special.) They trotted out the family sharing program, but when it sounded too good to be true, MS wasn't terribly forthcoming in regards to follow-up questions. From what I know of computers, the cloud stuff CAN be a great tool, but the best they showed off for it basically wound up being dedicated servers for Titanfall.

It really feels like they wanted to introduce this new future (which to be honest, was a future that basically revolved around "how do we get our cut of the used games market?") but completely failed to realize that they needed to justify the transition, expecting everyone to go along with it because it's the new hotness, I guess. I think we can all agree that MS just shelved these ideas; not trashed them. With Xbox Live Arcade (or whatever it's called) and most (if not all) games being available digitially, they still have the opportunity to prove these ideas; the family share idea can still exist, just for digitial. Likewise, they can use their digitial front to demonstrate how good thier sales are going to be.

Microsoft can still usher in a glorious digital revolution; but they have to prove they can do it before people will buy in. I'm curious if they're going to try this generation, or if they'll wait for the wheel to come around again.

...Man, that was rambly.

Anywho, I'm skipping launch for both consoles (not enough titles I want, plus the PC has been KICKING ASS); the money saved might go to a VR setup (Occulus Rift/Omni Treadmill/ STEM motion controls). PS4 is a little bit ahead for me if I do wind up buying in, but if at some point MS slapped together a kinectless box for like $375, I'm not sure who I'd get then.

Completely disagree. There's a huge difference between Steam and Xbox One. One is a $500 console, the other is a free service on an open platform. Steam has a number of other free competitors (GoG, GMG, Desura, etc.) which all compete with each other. Valve takes no cut in sales outside of the Steam store and provides devs/pubs their keys for free. Xbox One had to phone home every day (originally every 3 minutes).

The DRM wasn't panned because the messaging sucked, it was panned because it was a shitty idea and no amount of polish was ever going to change that. Transitioning to digital doesn't have to be a horrible experience but they tried to make it one. There's no reason at all why both Microsoft and Sony can't do as you said and actually make their digital stores a viable alternative to retail instead of attempting to push it on everyone.

As for a Kinect-less Xbone, I'm expecting it to be announced early 2014. What Microsoft says publicly about it means nothing, as evidenced by Major Nelson's "we can't just flip a switch to get rid of the DRM" rant 2-3 days before they pulled their 180. All signs are pointing to the PS4 taking a comfortable lead next gen and with Microsoft's brand new anti-Xbox board member breathing down their necks, I think they'll scramble as much as they can to recover and stay profitable (though the amount both companies spend on marketing will probably result in losses for their first 3-6 months anyway).

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    I am still a little sad about the kinect being something that could be stripped from the packaging for a new and cheaper sku. I think the thing has a lot of interesting potential, but it's not going to be something really used if there is no guarantee of it being there.

I also wonder when/if/how the "cloud" will be used to allow BC of older Xbox games. They have mentioned it as a possibility, just like Sony has, but firming up that with some solid timelines and information would certainly have me looking to get one sooner.

If the One could play my 360 games (and oXbox if I'm really wishing) I'd probably have it as a day one purchase.

Short of that, there's a lot of stuff that looks interesting, and I can see the HDMI input actually being pretty damn useful, but just like the PS4, I'll be waiting a bit to see if there's 2-3 games I just HAVE to have.

All that aside, I still hate the PSX/PS2/PS3 controller, and doubt the PS4 one will change my mind. I like all the Xboxen controllers so far (even the duke), and the new one looks to not change my mind either. So that's absolutely a point in MS's favor when I'm looking to be plopping down some major time with it in my hands.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Man, I haven't been too happy about the console since it was announced, but I would be pretty bummed if they stripped the Kinect out of the packaging. The thing could probably be used for some neat things, but only if you actually commit to handing it out.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Man, I haven't been too happy about the console since it was announced, but I would be pretty bummed if they stripped the Kinect out of the packaging. The thing could probably be used for some neat things, but only if you actually commit to handing it out.

Microsoft seriously has nobody but themselves to blame for painting themselves into that corner. Some group of idiots looked at the brief success of the original Kinect, looked at a flash-frame image of the market at the time, went "motion control is the future right now!", and dedicated the project to that track and damned weren't going to be the ones to admit it probably wasn't worth making a peripheral device the major focus of a high-end console. So they gimped their newest system a bit to tack on a chunk of hardware that's in the same category as a racing column, and now have to choose between eating shit because the higher price is going to hurt the bottom line or eating shit because they pull the system to lower the price and look like idiots.

Based purely on the history of consoles, launching a console that is a hundred bucks more than a competitor offering an identical core experience is going to be problematic. Then you throw in the fact that loads and loads of people are going to be going "why would I pay a hundred extra dollars for hardware I don't care about/can't use anyway?", and Microsoft has a tough call to make one way or another. It would be like if you could buy one brand of TV that comes bundled with an expresso machine, or buy an identical TV solo for 15-20% cheaper. Even if that expresso machine makes really really great expresso, most folks just want to buy a TV to get a TV.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I'm still not convinced leaving the Kinect in will lead to developers using it overly well. Most titles nowadays, if we're honest, are going to be multi-platform. The PS4 doesn't have a built in camera. Are devs really going to spend that much extra time tacking on awesome Kinect features?

I imagine some voice commands and the occasional fairly useless gesture control will be the norm for multiplatform titles.

Now exclusives, they could be a different story.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    The thing is that Microsoft is going to have to sell gamers on the Kinect. Give them a reason to give a shit about it. Make some badass game with it that wouldn't be able to go anywhere else then people will change their tune about it.

Something like Steel Battalion or something. Also note that this is the same thing I've been saying about Nintendo and the WiiU. If they'd make a game in which it blows your mind that it works with a tablet then people will flock to it. But, as it stands, it's just used for smaller scale stuff.

I'm sure we'll see both in the mid year lifecycle.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Head tracking for racing and flight games is all I need. Although, I could see some cool applications for strategy games (Total War, SRPGs, etc.) with Kinect and even the PlayStation 4 controller's touch pad.

Dashui on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I honestly can't envision how head tracking for games where you need to look at a fixed point (TV/monitor) would really work. It certainly sounds cool, but I just can't see it.

• Options
    If they got the Rift working with Kinect I'd be sold immediately. A mech game where you move your head to look around and use voice commands.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    you need multiple monitors or a head mounted display for head tracking to work properly

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Fawst wrote: »
    I honestly can't envision how head tracking for games where you need to look at a fixed point (TV/monitor) would really work. It certainly sounds cool, but I just can't see it.

It's been done and is quite popular on the PC with simulation games - racing, flying, even shooting (Armed Assault series). It's also been done with Forza 4 on the Xbox 360 utilizing Kinect. And no, Dhalphir, you don't need multiple monitors.

The camera is exaggerated so you can look around the cockpit of your plane, for example, without moving your actual head much. You're never actually looking away from the screen. It's really immersive and I can't wait to try it out in Forza 5. I believe they already confirmed it will have head tracking.

Dashui on
  • Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    It's good to see this thread back. It's looking more and more like I won't be able to justify a launch purchase (limited funds mostly), but I really want to get my hands on this system. Like most have said though, the really great next gen games probably won't be coming until the spring. If I have to wait, I probably can until then.

I think we'll eventually see some of Microsoft's policies come back. There is no reason why they can't try all of that stuff out with their digital offerings. Their main issue with their initial announcement (besides the communication) seemed to be that they tried to go all digital while keeping the discs for install purposes. This required some sort of online check-in.

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Okay I noticed this recently

What the fuck is up with this bullshit Nacho Cheese Doritos

Back in my day, they were Nacho Cheesier

What changed?

EDIT: Ah! And Cooler Ranch is now Cool Ranch?!

WHAT THE FUCK

@UnbreakableVow , That was the '90s, man. Everything was EXTREME back then. They did a little rebranding of Doritos at the time. You know how they call it Classic Coke still even though they haven't made New Coke for like 2 decades? Well, if one day they stop calling it Classic Coca Cola and just Coca Cola, thats what Doritos did.

Anyway... I'm waiting to see if they release release a Kinect-less version or not. If they do, I'll probably NOT get the XBone. My wife is interested in the Kinect still but I'm not investing in something optional and ignored by developers.

• Options
    The Kinect situation goes both ways. Yes, Microsoft has done bafflingly little interesting with it in their games, but third-parties simply don't like developing for non-standard control schemes, no matter how much potential they may have. The lackluster support for Wii, Move and the original Kinect play that out. At this point I don't think anyone is going to develop for it unless they're a creative indie or moneyhatted to the gills.

Slightly off topic, but this lack of Kinect 2.0 support makes me strongly suspect that the hypothetical Wii U that simply included Wiimote control again wouldn't have worked (either).

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I think the new kinect will succeed for 2 reasons; it will work much better than kinect 1.0 and it will allow games to use controllers simultaneously with kinect gestures.

the original kinect was fun, but it was a touch laggy and could be awkward to play sometimes. the new one looks to be much more accurate which will help change people's mind about being used for games. dance central proves that compelling games can be a success on the kinect, they just need to know how to take advantage of motion control.

adding in controller support opens up much more gameplay opportunities. imagine a lightgun game, where you had to mime reloading and meleeing enemies; or a flying game where you are in a cockpit and swiveling your head naturally controls the camera as you pilot with the controller. I can see tons of applications when kinect isn't forced to be just motion control solely. mixing inputs sounds like a great idea in theory. we just need games now to try something ambitious with the tech.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I'm still not convinced leaving the Kinect in will lead to developers using it overly well. Most titles nowadays, if we're honest, are going to be multi-platform. The PS4 doesn't have a built in camera. Are devs really going to spend that much extra time tacking on awesome Kinect features?

I imagine some voice commands and the occasional fairly useless gesture control will be the norm for multiplatform titles.

Now exclusives, they could be a different story.

Packing it in won't guarantee anyone will use it. But making it an optional peripheral basically guarantees that very few will ever make much use out of it.

It can be the Xbox version of "Waggle" controls for multiplatform games, or you could have some people really take the plunge and do something killer with it.

Since they decided to make it a focus, packing in made sure it's there for everyone to use. But now that it's likely a kinectless SKU will be seen (and you can bet Devs are looking at that right now already), it essentially means only a handful of games will ever make use of it beyond the most basic fashion. Basically the same as we have now, just a bit prettier and working a bit better.

Innovation with it will likely only come in the form of indy games making novel use of it, if anything.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Imagine a stealth game mostly played on controller that gives you the option to perform silent non-lethal takedowns but to do so you have to cock your arm back like you're going to punch the dude for a couple of seconds

This reduces either your ability to look around and otherwise interact with the environment or to move

Such a tradeoff could be really interesting if used properly

Or, you know, Black and White: Better With Kinect

Those are free, the rest I charge for

• Options
    I bet Kojima is going to do some crazy shit with it in Metal Gear Solid 5.

• Options
    I know when I heard it could read people's heart rates... that had kojima written all the fuck over it.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The problem with all these "Imagine a...." ideas is that it all comes back to the old "Fool me once..." saying. People remember hearing these very same ideas when the Kinect 1 first launched. And not a dang one popped up. Now you're using the exact same pitches again? It's no wonder people are a lot more skeptical and dismissive this go around.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I'd be more optimistic if there were more people developing for it. And I can't help but remember how the Wii Motion + vastly improved the wiimote experience, but it was used by practically no one outside of Nintendo.

• Options
    did you miss my lenghty post as to why this kinect is different? just by having one in every box at launch is a huge install base. one that encourages indie, XBLA, and even AAA devs to develop for the platform. and now that every xbox is a "dev kit", kinect development will only become more accessible. the best stuff on kinect has been homebrew development, and Microsoft seems ready to take advantage of that.

I mean the first kinect was by no means a sales failure and with the right devs making games for kinect 2.0, it will sell itself. hell, dance central 4 and fantasia alone are gonna get parents to buy this for their kids come christmas, this year or next. but there is room for innovation now that kinect is there from the get go.

This discussion has been closed.