Options

Xbox One Thread: Chug and charge the gamertag list in the OP!

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I think that's the reason given to a lot of the less desirable features on the PS3, including slow downloads.

Whatever, this is what new consoles are for. Especially after that many years.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I was at first really looking forward to Dead Rising 3, then I took a good look at Watch_Dogs and now Dead Rising 3 looks just decent by comparison. I'll probably still get it, but Watch_Dogs looks fan-freaking-tastic

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    DR3 looks awesome just from the sheer number of zombies on screen at once. it doesn't have me as hyped as DR1 did but I still want it badly. titanfall looks so damn good, like brink with out all the suck, with mechs thrown in.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    If they got the Kinect attached to some mo-cap functionality... imagine using that with Project Spark or The Movies or some other content-creation game, or any sort of social interaction game like Second Life or Sims.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Battlefield 4 might have some Kinect support. From an Xbox.com Q&A with Dice:

"I think time will tell as we’re just getting our hands and creative thinking around what these new platforms can do. In Battlefield 4, we’re pushing in every way that we can. Through SmartGlass, Xbox players will be able to view the overhead map during multiplayer matches and take advantage of the second screen. Also, with Kinect, we’re looking into features that enhance the controls including peeking and leaning and tracking head movement as well as incorporating voice commands."

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Well, if it's as good as head tracking in Forza 4, I'd look forward to it. And there is always room for improvement.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2013
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/18/battlefield-4-for-xbox-one-may-get-kinect-based-look-controls/

But guys, 3rd party developers totally aren't going to use the kinect this time around.

8->

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    syndalis wrote: »
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/18/battlefield-4-for-xbox-one-may-get-kinect-based-look-controls/

But guys, 3rd party developers totally aren't going to use the kinect this time around.

8->
    I'm not tolerating this kind of attitude this time around, so knock it the fuck off.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    Have my pre-order with Amazon--on one hand, it's in large pat due to online ecosystem connectivity. From what I understand, PSN is also migrating over to pay system for multiplayer. Without party chat, a mass migration with my friends seems less likely. Kind of surprised I don't know anyone personally who owns a Vita. O.o

The other hand is Forza 5, and the next Halo title, both of which I'll need pretty desperately. I'm still surprised that exclusivity for either platform is this much of a presence (I didn't think it would be three, four years ago).

Really need look more into Dead Rising 3. I never really 'got' the series, despite multiple efforts, but everyone loves it, and I don't think the masses are wrong.

The PS4 has party chat.

As far as my Xbox One launch buys, I'm also looking into Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3. It's a simple thing, but I really want to feel those impulse triggers in Forza. I hope more games use that feature. I'm not sure if any other game has announced support for it yet.

They're bringing party groups in? That's excellent news, hopefully they'll actually enforce the standard across games, unlike PSN in this generation.

Still think it was one of a few really bad judgement calls not to implement it earlier. There were architecture reasons, I'm sure, but really disappointing.

I would prefer it if some games of the PS4 and Xbox One could disable party chat (or disable it during certain modes, like multiplayer matches), actually. Party chat is great and all but some games like Chrome Hounds require it to be disabled, and I'd love to see someone take another crack at some of the ideas present in Chrome Hounds.

Edit: I just realized with the Xbox One being at TGS I will probably get a chance to try the kinect first hand. I wonder if there is anything I should see if it can do specifically? But I want to play Titanfall way more than I want to mess around with the kinect. And that's if I can pry myself away from watching Daigo body people in Street Fighter.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I'm in party chat because I want to chat with my party. I don't want to chat with the other random people in the match.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »

8->
    I'm not tolerating this kind of attitude this time around, so knock it the fuck off.

Okay, I will word it differently. Sorry for the snark.

It looks like 3rd party developers are openly talking about using the Kinect, even for launch titles, like Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty.

Add that to Forza and Project Spark, and you have a good handful of launch titles that will be doing things with Kinect that are novel.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Arteen wrote: »
    I'm in party chat because I want to chat with my party. I don't want to chat with the other random people in the match.

That's fine and all, and for most games that's cool.

But for chromehounds it is not. A big part of chromehounds is capturing radio towers, you can only use voice communication if you and the person you want to talk to are in areas covered by radio towers you controlled. I ran a scout mech, low profile, high speed, smoke grenades, very little weaponry. I would let my team know I was exiting radio coverage, try to sneak up on towers and grab them. Those moments of being out of radio contact, waiting to get back into communication with my team, could be a lot of fun and very tense. Especially say, if I started coming under sniper fire. And the second I was back in radio contact I would yell out his position for some artillery to pin him down so I could escape. (Also you never played chromehounds with randoms, only people in your clan).

But with party chat people would just make their party and skirt that entire mechanic. Party chat should be on by default, but, if the devs want to do interesting thing with voice chat they should be able to turn it off. Choice is nice is all I am saying.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    If they got the Kinect attached to some mo-cap functionality... imagine using that with Project Spark or The Movies or some other content-creation game, or any sort of social interaction game like Second Life or Sims.

What do you mean 'if'? ;)

They have, I posted a video a page or so back, heh!

It's an hour long but one part (and I've seen a video from GDC or something too) shows how you can mocap animations in Project Spark with Kinect 2, and record voice overs for making cutscenes, machinema etc.

Also, Dead Rising 3, the adjustment/removal of time pressure (I hated that) and the sound of the co-op scope have sold me on that game. The little additional Smartglass and Kinect 2 touches sound interesting too, like yelling to distract and lure zombies before air-striking them from your mobile, so your co-op buddy can grab a z-swamped vehicle, for example.

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Incenjucar wrote: »

What do you mean 'if'? ;)

They have, I posted a video a page or so back, heh!

It's an hour long but one part (and I've seen a video from GDC or something too) shows how you can mocap animations in Project Spark with Kinect 2, and record voice overs for making cutscenes, machinema etc.

Also, Dead Rising 3, the adjustment/removal of time pressure (I hated that) and the sound of the co-op scope have sold me on that game. The little additional Smartglass and Kinect 2 touches sound interesting too, like yelling to distract and lure zombies before air-striking them from your mobile, so your co-op buddy can grab a z-swamped vehicle, for example.
    The more they say about Dead Rising 3, the more I want it.

It just keeps looking better and better.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    Have my pre-order with Amazon--on one hand, it's in large pat due to online ecosystem connectivity. From what I understand, PSN is also migrating over to pay system for multiplayer. Without party chat, a mass migration with my friends seems less likely. Kind of surprised I don't know anyone personally who owns a Vita. O.o

The other hand is Forza 5, and the next Halo title, both of which I'll need pretty desperately. I'm still surprised that exclusivity for either platform is this much of a presence (I didn't think it would be three, four years ago).

Really need look more into Dead Rising 3. I never really 'got' the series, despite multiple efforts, but everyone loves it, and I don't think the masses are wrong.

The PS4 has party chat.

As far as my Xbox One launch buys, I'm also looking into Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3. It's a simple thing, but I really want to feel those impulse triggers in Forza. I hope more games use that feature. I'm not sure if any other game has announced support for it yet.

They're bringing party groups in? That's excellent news, hopefully they'll actually enforce the standard across games, unlike PSN in this generation.

Still think it was one of a few really bad judgement calls not to implement it earlier. There were architecture reasons, I'm sure, but really disappointing.

I would prefer it if some games of the PS4 and Xbox One could disable party chat (or disable it during certain modes, like multiplayer matches), actually. Party chat is great and all but some games like Chrome Hounds require it to be disabled, and I'd love to see someone take another crack at some of the ideas present in Chrome Hounds.

Obviously, party chat is better than no party chat (that's a given). But right now, on XBL, you can exit a party or mute it on command. It's not automated, but then again, automatically disabling it seems like it would cause more problems than fix. So, in effect, this exists, you just have to set it manually.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    I'm wondering what the big wow factor is going to be with Kinect at this point, as Sony announced tonight that their camera thing will have facial recognition and voice control as well. It's troubling they haven't demo'd any sort of real gameplay scenarios for the thing this close to launch.

I can't help but feel like Kinect 2 is going to be another "fool me twice, shame on you" situation. I like(d) the Kinect 1 but I bought into all the hype of it and nothing ever really panned out as advertised. It works sort of well for Dance Central and Kinect Sports and that's about it, we can't even get it to recognize our voices half the time.

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Crimson Dragon trailer... This game looks very fun!
    http://kotaku.com/all-the-reason-i-need-to-buy-an-xbox-one-1348309202

Edit- why am I so terrible at embedding videos?

nicopernicus on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Crimson Dragon looks like the perfect download for whatever XBLA is now.

Also, this video for Forza 5 is worth a share :)

http://youtu.be/-5fiJ49-o_8

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    Thing about Kinect 2.0 is, I don't WANT it in most games, or at least to the extent that it's been utilized this far in other games. I don't want to get off my couch to do something in a game.

That said, Kinect 2.0 could make me happy by doing other things. If, for, example, using the voice command would let me skip steps in the interface when searching for something(Xbox, find Bioshock Infinite Rapture DLC) and it takes me right to it without having to go through multiple sub menus, I can see it being more efficient than using a controller.

Or with games, things like scanning designs into the game world.

I'm sick of dancing around to play games. Kinect 2.0 needs to fulfill the promise of the original Kinect's trailer and things like Milo in order for me to care about it.

Otherwise, when I get the Xbone, I'll just leave the damn camera unplugged.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular

That is fantastic. I love stuff like that, combining driving with other things to make art. Excuse to post an off-topic video? Sure!

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Crimson Dragon looks like the perfect download for whatever XBLA is now.

Wow. That's awesome.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Call of Duty already disables party chat in the main/ most popular modes to enforce strategy; aka disallow any escape from the cursing, racist 14 year olds who populate the servers. Yet another reason why it's so easy to not buy that series every year.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Panzer Dragoon is such a boring series

Crimson Dragon at least looks pretty

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    The ravings of a madman! Orta was a great game. And it was pretty.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I don't mind on rails games at all, especially one's that are just really pretty shmups.

• Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    I have no experience with the Panzer Dragoon games, but Crimson Dragon sounds like a "why not" at the $20 price tag. Some new information I just read today says you can level up your dragons and rent them out for others players for cooperative play. You can use voice commands to call another dragon if you need some assistance. There is more in this article:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/20/4751896/crimson-dragon-lets-players-upload-rent-out-their-custom-dragons

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

But for chromehounds it is not. A big part of chromehounds is capturing radio towers, you can only use voice communication if you and the person you want to talk to are in areas covered by radio towers you controlled. I ran a scout mech, low profile, high speed, smoke grenades, very little weaponry. I would let my team know I was exiting radio coverage, try to sneak up on towers and grab them. Those moments of being out of radio contact, waiting to get back into communication with my team, could be a lot of fun and very tense. Especially say, if I started coming under sniper fire. And the second I was back in radio contact I would yell out his position for some artillery to pin him down so I could escape. (Also you never played chromehounds with randoms, only people in your clan).

But with party chat people would just make their party and skirt that entire mechanic. Party chat should be on by default, but, if the devs want to do interesting thing with voice chat they should be able to turn it off. Choice is nice is all I am saying.

This was really cool, except that me and my friends would all just set up a phone conference and completely ignore team chat when we played chromehounds.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I swear I think I'm the only person in the world who loved the time constraints in Dead Rising 1 and 2. The fact that it's removed from 3 is what took it off my radar completely.

Since the Dead Rising thread is long buried, I'll just say here I felt it added a sense of panic to the game, and really made the uniqueness of multiple playthroughs shine. It was not a game made for doing everything in one go. It was impossible. Your first playthroughs were going to be early deaths, learning the location of psychos and just a scramble to the finish, or as far as you could get. Keeping that level as you restarted was a great move, because your next playthrough became more streamlined, you were efficient, you could make smart choices and not miss a few missions here and there because you were stuck staring at the map.

By the end, the reason you dressed goofy was because you were an insane machine of zombie killing, living in this zombie groundhog's day nightmare and you were able to save everyone, solve the mystery and still have time to ride the mechanical bull.

And the fact that you never did "fail" in terms of the endings made it perfect. Short of dying, you got an ending no matter what happened, if you survived. It wasn't always "good", but I loved the fact that if you really wanted to, you could play as Frank or Chuck, the coward, who sat in the safe house for a full 3 days waiting for rescue to arrive.

Now it's just become generic zombie action game, go to checkpoint to move plot along. I loved that the first two, the plot was moving along with or without you.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    They've stated that there will be a "timeline" enabled mode, as described here:
    “So we actually have two modes,” he explains. “We purposely built a non time-restrictive mode and a completely time-restrictive mode -- both following the same storyline. So if you want to, it’ll completely hand your ass to you with Nightmare Mode where the time-limit is going to be pushing you along a schedule -- you’re gonna have to meet and finish the missions at a certain time or you’re going to miss them; you’re gonna miss the optional content; you’re going to run out of time -- a bomb is gonna likely nuke the whole area.

Source: AusGamers

I don't think I'd play in that mode though. Depending on the length of the campaign in this one it may be really annoying, especially considering there's probably going to be a "beat the game 100% in nightmare mode" achievement. :T

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular

Call of Duty already disables party chat in the main/ most popular modes to enforce strategy; aka disallow any escape from the cursing, racist 14 year olds who populate the servers. Yet another reason why it's so easy to not buy that series every year.
    Actually CoD only disables party chat in S&D and Free for All I believe, because in those modes you can use party chat to cheat/exploit. (Boosters and dead people telling teammates where people are most notably.)

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    If I play Dead Rising 3, it'll be on the casual no-timelimit mode. I just don't have time or attention span to play and fail at a game multiple times to get to a good ending.

But I appreciate what they were going for in DR1/2.

Dehumanized on
  • Options

Actually CoD only disables party chat in S&D and Free for All I believe, because in those modes you can use party chat to cheat/exploit. (Boosters and dead people telling teammates where people are most notably.)

In MW2 (the last one I attempted to play before giving up on the series for good), stuff like Team Deathmatch blocked party chat. Not exactly a side mode. It's possible they smartened up since then I guess.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

Since Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, party chat has been disabled for Search and Destroy.

I just mute everyone in the lobby now, because I would literally sit naked on a cactus than deal with the average gamer in chat.

Misogyny, Racism, Homophobia, blasting loud music so no one can hear, anger being taken out on team mates, trolling.

Yeah, no thanks.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Major Nelson drops by a MS store in Boston with the Xbox One.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sew2I-TOVoQ

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Titanfall is mad fun! If it was actually an X1 exclusive I might buy an X1 just for it. As it stands it is going to feel so much better on the PC.

The X1 controller feels really nice btw. Though, so did the PS4s so it's a wash on that front for me. Still, it is a very solid controller.

• Options
    Major Nelson drops by a MS store in Boston with the Xbox One.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sew2I-TOVoQ

Hey kid

That's not how you hold a controller
    Titanfall is mad fun! If it was actually an X1 exclusive I might buy an X1 just for it. As it stands it is going to feel so much better on the PC.

The X1 controller feels really nice btw. Though, so did the PS4s so it's a wash on that front for me. Still, it is a very solid controller.

It is also hitting the PS4

And 360, though I'm really curious what the difference will be graphically between 360/next-gen versions

I'm wondering the same with COD Ghosts

• Options
    Hey uh, maybe you should let them announce TitanFall for Ps4 before you tell people it's definitely going there.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    It is as sure as the sun rising in the east

But sure, alright

Titanfall is most likely coming to PS4 since they've released videos of them working with PS4 devkits and had to mysteriously blur them out even though they left DualShock 4s on their desk unaltered, also because we're living in the modern era where third-party exclusives don't exist unless they've been given a hand in development Dead Rising 3/Deep Down style, and certainly don't ever come from EA

(Pause at 2:34)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SvvX_EDWYI

Also there's an incredibly high probability that the sun will rise in the east tomorrow. It's not definite! World might end. But then we don't get to play Titanfall on any console

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    Going to be going down to Eurogamer expo next weekend to get some more hands-on time time with both new consoles. Anything anyone wants me to look for in particular or ask about?

• Options
    You're right 3rd party exclusives are a thing of the past. Gears of War was first party right? And so was Ni no Kuni and Kingdom Hearts 1.5. And Heavy Rain. And Demon Souls.

Not trying to be a goose, I'm just trying to point out it can and does happen. For all we know, they got it running on Ps4 (hence the video) but there's a performance issue and they're hesitant. And CoD has always heavily favored Xbox and these are the OG CoD guys. Still, all that said I agree actually a Ps4 version just makes sense. Just don't count your chickens and all that.

This discussion has been closed.