As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OH SHIT AUTUMN STEAM SALE

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i dont like anything that is different

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    Having the pads instead of sticks is a neat idea that could work well, but the button placement doesn't really jump out at me as anything special. Having to move your thumbs inward to hit a button never feels good, and triggers+bumpers aren't exactly a novelty. At best it's a wash.

I guess it depends on how expensive it is, and only if my wired USB 360 controller ever dies.

There's also the two buttons on the back of the controller it looks like, under the triggers and bumpers

That also sounds terrible.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Having the pads instead of sticks is a neat idea that could work well, but the button placement doesn't really jump out at me as anything special. Having to move your thumbs inward to hit a button never feels good, and triggers+bumpers aren't exactly a novelty. At best it's a wash.

I guess it depends on how expensive it is, and only if my wired USB 360 controller ever dies.

There's also the two buttons on the back of the controller it looks like, under the triggers and bumpers

But your other fingers are already back there so I don't see a problem.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    They address the issue of physicality with trackpads in the copy on the reveal page. Apparently they're going to address it with haptic feedback hoozawatzits.

In any case, the controller does look goofy at first glance, but I'm interested in what they're going for with this thing and I'm stoked to try it out.

Why not just put actual sticks then? Trackpads are always terrible, I don't care if there are haptic feedback howitzers or what.

Because they're trying to reinvent the wheel and decided to go all the way instead?

If they can do trackpads in such a way that they're not just comparable to sticks but better than sticks then Valve will have done cool thing

Valve wants to be the people that make the cool thing, they did Steam and now they're trying to do Controllers (and consoles to a lesser extent, I feel)

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    it actually looks like it would be pretty good for a game like Civilization 5

I could see how that would work nicely

but I cannot imagine using it for like... Day of Defeat Source or something

but still Civ 5 on my TV with an OK controller... that's an acceptable value proposition given my hundreds and hundreds of hours invested into Civ

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

But your other fingers are already back there so I don't see a problem.

Because my fingers do not have the dexterity required to push buttons like my thumb does. That's why I only have one finger for both shoulder buttons instead of two.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    They address the issue of physicality with trackpads in the copy on the reveal page. Apparently they're going to address it with haptic feedback hoozawatzits.

In any case, the controller does look goofy at first glance, but I'm interested in what they're going for with this thing and I'm stoked to try it out.

Why not just put actual sticks then? Trackpads are always terrible, I don't care if there are haptic feedback howitzers or what.

Because they're trying to reinvent the wheel and decided to go all the way instead?

If they can do trackpads in such a way that they're not just comparable to but better than sticks then Valve will have done cool thing

I figured fuck it, at least they're trying something different and possibly even better than what we already have. And I already like the controllers we have so something better would be awesome.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

It depends on how those are implemented. Since i'm using those fingers to grip the controller itself, having to shift them to push a button can make the grip go all wonky. Or if they are too sensitive and can be easily hit on accident.

Really the controller just looks so weird it's hard to get an idea of how it will work without actually holding it and trying it out.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Also, how are you supposed to hold the controller if there are buttons where your fingers grip?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Also, how are you supposed to hold the controller if there are buttons where your fingers grip?

I don't know about you, but I don't hold my controllers in a vice-like deathgrip all the time.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    But serious answer, look at the image on the right. The light grey bar is where the back buttons will be. It looks like it will be easily pressed with your fingers, but not be where your fingers would normally rest.

controller_schematic.png

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

I don't know about you, but I don't hold my controllers in a vice-like deathgrip all the time.

Take a look at this scrub.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I can support them for wanting to be creative and push boundaries. It's better for the industry as a whole to have people trying new things so that it doesn't get stagnant. I'm not sure that this is a product I need - I like having my consoles in the living room and my computer to run PC games, and I don't really want to mix them - but I appreciate that they're doing something interesting with their piles of DOTA cash all the same. Time will tell if it's something that will change the industry or not.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options

If I'm playing a really intense part of a game, I sure do.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Half-Life?

No?

Meh.

• Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    should have been called a hat box

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    Isoldae wrote: »

I'm still fond of Gabecube

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

N64 controllers had that extra trigger in the back, ain't nobody had a problem with that.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    well that was unexpected

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Isoldae wrote: »
    You're biased

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular

N64 controllers had that extra trigger in the back, ain't nobody had a problem with that.

Yeah and it was aces

• Options

Yeah and it was aces

To be fair, the Z button was pretty much just a left trigger (nobody used the L button on the N64 controllers)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options

Yeah and it was aces

To be fair, the Z button was pretty much just a left trigger (nobody used the L button on the N64 controllers)

millions may not have even known there WAS an L button

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Except for the fact that the rest of the controller itself was horribly designed

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    That controller looks like all kinds of insane.

And yet I instantly want one so freaking bad.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    That is pretty neat. I wanna try one!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    Xbone controller is planned for PC compat. early 2014. Steam controller is hideous and this whole announcement process is the dumbest thing Valve has ever done. Should have all been in one day.

PowerPlay

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

Yeah and it was aces

Pretty sure I've used the L button a few times, since there was a few games that used the d-pad.

Would like to say Tetrisphere did, but it's been a while.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Basically all of these announcements have struck me as moderately neat or interesting, but not really for me as far as I can tell.

I don't even own a modern television with all fancy inputs and stuff, or a current-gen console, and I'm perfectly happy sitting at a desk using my PC for 98% of media I want to consume.

The controller may or may not have some use for getting me back into more serious racing/flight sim stuff, or possibly as a good portable mouse alternative for my laptop in the hospital or similar (since it won't require a surface), but that will depend hugely on how it actually feels to use which I won't be able to find out for a while yet.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular

Yeah and it was aces

Pressing and using it still felt pretty good!

• Options
    i would rate the odds of me buying every single thing steam has announced this week as pretty high

a majority of my gaming since forever has been steam/PC centric, and frankly I've not been much of a console person since the N64

i am happy with what valve is doing

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    So can the trackpads work like sticks? As in, if I push left on the pad, does the camera stop spinning when my thumb stops moving or does it stop when I lift up my thumb?

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i would rate the odds of me buying every single thing steam has announced this week as pretty high

a majority of my gaming since forever has been steam/PC centric, and frankly I've not been much of a console person since the N64

i am happy with what valve is doing

Same here. I may not rush out and buy a Gabecube immediately but I think I'll eventually pick one up and throw away my 360, especially if the Steam machine has Netflix access. I'll definitely buy one of the controllers to try even if I don't pick up a Steam machine.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    My issue with this new controller is that I see almost no way to try it out before buying it, unless a friend buys one, which I doubt, or if steamboxes start showing up in the video game section at best buy, which I also doubt. And I am pretty unwilling to drop cash on a controller that I've never held before.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I might read some reviews... if it comes out to less than $40 or so I'll probably pick one up for the couchputer.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I have my doubts about that controller but I'd be happy if I was totally wrong on those doubts.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm going to wait until I use the controller to formulate an opinion on it.

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    so is this supposed to be a console ala an xbox or something.

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Nikolai wrote: »
    so is this supposed to be a console ala an xbox or something.

Sort of. A Steam Machine will be a computer that runs linux that will go in your living room. It will play your Steam games.

You could also turn various devices into Steam Streamers, which will stream games to your PC from your existing desktop PC.

They'll also release the operating system used by Steam Machine (Steam OS) for free, so you can turn any existing device you have into a Streamer/Machine if you so choose.

This discussion has been closed.