As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of The Halloween Thread is true.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Halloween is my birthday

no idea what I am doing also I have no idea what my costume should be

He posts, without bothering to even glance at his own avatar and signature...

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    One year when I'm not lazy I'm going to put together a Riddler or Beetlejuice costume.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I guess we don't officially celebrate Halloween here, but people throw costume parties around this time regardless.

A few years ago I went as Harvey Dent and my face itched for days.
    veldrin4.jpg

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    I think I'm going as Zombie Spider-man this year. I can probably get a cheap Spider-man costume that's a size too small (so it's not baggy), tear up some gashes in it. Remove half the face, make-up, done.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    My best Halloween costume ever was when I made an Indiana Jones one

I can't find any pictures of it that don't have someone else in them, but the only Indiana Jones licensed things I bought were the hat and the whip.

The rest of it, including a sweet leather jacket, was all bought by me, and when I threw it all together it looked pretty awesome.

• Options
    I was Indiana Jones once (a friend had the official hat which he let me borrow, another friend had a whip, and I had the rest of the costume).

Someone at the party got into a debate with me telling me my jacket should be brown instead of black until finally we had to hunt down a computer and prove he wore a black one.

• Options
    I actually went with the brown, because I could have sworn that was the proper jacket, but huh. I guess not.

Ah well. It still turned out pretty great! I'll have to see if I can't dig up a picture of it somewhere.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i am

totally thinking about a hotline costume

• Options
    Anything in particular?

I feel like Biker would be easier to pull off, since Jacket's...erm, jacket is one of a kind.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    I actually went with the brown, because I could have sworn that was the proper jacket, but huh. I guess not.

Ah well. It still turned out pretty great! I'll have to see if I can't dig up a picture of it somewhere.

Brown is correct too, he wears different jackets in each film. My point of contention was the guy claiming I couldn't wear a black one (which I would have had to do anyways, since jackets are expensive and my brown jacket was way too light so my black one was the only option).

Lars on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i can just go for a mask/weapon with one of my hoodies and pants/skirt

i like hurting people

• Options
    Lars wrote: »

Brown is correct too, he wears different jackets in each film. My point of contention was the guy claiming I couldn't wear a black one (which I would have had to do anyways, since jackets are expensive and my brown jacket was way too light so my black one was the only option).

I actually got lucky and found a cool brown one at Goodwill.

If I hadn't outgrown it like 6 months after I wore it for the costume, I'd probably just wear it around everyday life.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Damn. That's actually a really easy/cool costume Anti.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I'm thinking of dressing up as new 52 superman. Jeans, t shirt, and a cape. Simple and awesome in my opinion.
    8-)

Armoroc on
  • Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Augh. Halloween is fucking awesome. Def my favorite holiday of the year. And I finally have a party to dress up for this year!

I've been toying with the idea of working on a Baphomet costume. I've always loved the way Baph is depicted in artwork. Unfortunately the people hosting are fairly religious and I'm pretty sure this costume would step on some toes.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Halloween is my birthday

no idea what I am doing also I have no idea what my costume should be

He posts, without bothering to even glance at his own avatar and signature...
    I did that last year!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I don't know what I'm doing this year, but knowing the new friends I have made, I am going to a Halloween party.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    Another cool costume idea I was thinking of was a plague doctor.

I'd want a really good mask though which would mean shelling out the big bucks.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Another cool costume idea I was thinking of was a plague doctor.

I'd want a really good mask though which would mean shelling out the big bucks.

Like... Gas mask or medical mask? Cause either can found fairly cheap... Unless you want them functional.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Schnabel+wh+r+side+w+gray+hair.jpg

This one to be more specific. I just love the look of that mask

• Options
    If it also protects me from the black death, that's just icing on the cake

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    I wanna be a sith. Might go full on gray face. Anyone know a good place to get some good sithy robes and a realistic red saber?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    This year I was thinking of doing The Kid and having daughter go as a windbag since that'd just be a big purple ball for her.

Will probably end up doing an owl costume for her and I'll dress up like a tree.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    We don't really do Halloween in England, but my mates are having a Day of the Dead party on, uh, the day of the dead. I might go all out on some crazy face paint and costume up for that.

I mean, they haven't said it's fancy dress but

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Schnabel+wh+r+side+w+gray+hair.jpg

This one to be more specific. I just love the look of that mask

If you're going to do that, get a black mask to go with the rest of the black outfit. Just make sure the mask has red tinted glass in the eyeports, and custom fit a little red LED in there so the light reflects back off your face and the eyes actually glow in the night time.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Those masks freak me the fuck out

I remember seeing pictures of them in history class and thinking whyyyy would a doctor wear that??

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I have a couple of carnival masks that I picked up when I was in Venice but I really regret not grabbing a plague doctor one when I had the chance

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    My costume for the past few years has been as a "bro", which seems appropriate for the forums as of late.

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Gonna be Wreck-it Ralph this year. Although the hardest part seems to be finding dark red overalls that don't look absolutely atrocious haha

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    I wanna be a sith. Might go full on gray face. Anyone know a good place to get some good sithy robes and a realistic red saber?

Oh a budget, a Bathroom sink drain fixture and a few spare parts can make a fairly decent non-working saber hilt.

No idea on the robes besides costume shops.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    the theme of my costumes the last few years has been 'lazy as hell', the joke is wearing thin but I can't see myself putting effort into one

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Various Doctors from Doctor Who also have some easy costumes, but may have trouble getting some people to recognize what you are depending on where you're going. Though if you show up in a giant blue phone box that may help.

I went as the 11th Doctor last year and everyone thought I was Bill Nye :(

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Various Doctors from Doctor Who also have some easy costumes, but may have trouble getting some people to recognize what you are depending on where you're going. Though if you show up in a giant blue phone box that may help.

Well

Bill Nye is pretty great....

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    if your costume is not scary for halloween you are halloweening incorrectly

take back halloween from the mardi gras crowd

RISE UP MY BRETHREN

• Options
    smof wrote: »
    Those masks freak me the fuck out

I remember seeing pictures of them in history class and thinking whyyyy would a doctor wear that??

The reasoning behind wearing that stuff is actually really neat. In a weird kind of way. For instance, the long beak was used to hold something that was scented and straw to filter the bad air.

If I remember correctly, there were various reasons behind the crazy looking red lens. One of which being if spirits were involved the lens would allow them to see it.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    If I have a reason to dress up this year, I'm going as Dr. Alan Grant from Jurassic Park.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    My Halloween fun-times usually consists of listening to H.P. Lovecraft stories and the Danse Macabre on repeat while I work on some sort of spooky illustration.

It's really no different to how I spend the rest of the year.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »

Well

Bill Nye is pretty great....

Agreed, but everyone thought I was Bill Nye because of the bowtie (and someone thought I was Harry Potter because of the sonic screwdriver).

Meanwhile, my friend went as Slutty Hipster Waldo and everyone immediately knew who she was.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Maybe this time you should try slutty hipster Bill Nye/Doctor Whom then.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Doctor...Whom?