As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Exploring the ruins of New Detroit with VBomb and The Canadians! [Giant Bomb]

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    I just realized what would get me back into Pokemon. No more random encounters. Pokemon appear in the world, and either chase you or run away, and the battle takes place in the same screen

• Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    Yeah they make items that make it so you can avoid pokemon...

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    super repel is your friend.
    I'd rather not have to buy a bunch of things to not want to pull my hair out

according to the impressions of X/Y caves are far less annoying and they added in shadowed areas that Pokemon will lurk so you can go looking for a battle if you want one or just blaze through if you want to get out with only the occasional random encounter

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Isoldae wrote: »

This has also been my other big issue with Pokemon, though it was apparent in the Red/Blue games as well

Everything costs a fucking ton of money, and you seem to be financially limited a ton of the time

• Options
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    I just realized what would get me back into Pokemon. No more random encounters. Pokemon appear in the world, and either chase you or run away, and the battle takes place in the same screen
    That would kind of ruin the whole appeal of "I don't know what I am about to run into"

Having specific areas where they live works well enough

it's why caves suck, you can't avoid random encounters

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

This is the silliest criticism of a thing I have ever heard.

"I have this problem with a thing that can be solved within that thing but I don't want to do it."

xet8c.gif
  • Options

This is the silliest criticism of a thing I have ever heard.

"I have this problem with a thing that can be solved within that thing but I don't want to do it."
    Not really? What if I bought 3 super repels and whoops I got lost in the cave and they all ran out?

Having to buy 99 repels because encounter rates are super high and dumb in caves is annoying as hell and since they apparently address it in X/Y it seems like it isn't an uncommon complaint

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    You do know that numbers exist between 3 and 99 right?

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    another great thing about bw2: go into the menu once to apply repel, it will auto-prompt you when it runs out

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Yeah but super repels are pricey and I'd rather have a bunch of potions or balls to capture Pokemon

This came up a lot when I tried to play through Black 2

Never had enough money to buy enough potions and repels and balls all at the same time

Again, I don't mind random encounters in tall grass or anything

it is that caves are all tall grass, functionally and have crazy high encounter rates. They would be perfectly tolerable if the rate was dropped, and since they have done that I'm totally down.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular

Name two, smart guy!

• Options
    rfilyaw wrote: »

Name two, smart guy!

I don't want to.

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    repel exists but using an item to avoid enduring bad design doesn't make the design good

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i don't think random encounters are necessarily bad design, just annoying sometimes.

however adding places where they don't happen in caves is a good idea.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular

This has also been my other big issue with Pokemon, though it was apparent in the Red/Blue games as well

Everything costs a fucking ton of money, and you seem to be financially limited a ton of the time

I'm playing Black right now, and two badges in, I have enough money to buy a dozen of whatever the fuck I want to, so this has definitely improved over time

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    There was a discussion a while back about Lazlow and GTA's writing. GTA 5 spoilers, for those who care:
    There's a mission in the game where Michael's daughter Tracey tries out for Fame or Shame, an America's Got Talent style talent show. Lazlow is the host. Michael finds out that she is trying out as a dancer, despite the fact that she's terrible, so Trevor convinces him to go "save her from becoming a national laughingstock." You find Tracey dancing like a stripper for the judges, pull her out of the audition, attack Lazlow, and he runs off in his electric car. Michael and Trevor chase him down in an 18-wheeler, with Trevor insulting Lazlow and complaining about how terrible he is the whole way. When you finally catch him, Lazlow pleads for his life, calling himself worthless, untalented, and unfunny, and he seems somewhat confused as to why he is a celebrity. Trevor then has him drop his pants and dance like Tracey did so he can record it, and then spares his life.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    If you know you're terrible maybe try not being terrible instead of just saying "haha yeah I know right?"

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    There was a discussion a while back about Lazlow and GTA's writing. GTA 5 spoilers, for those who care:
    There's a mission in the game where Michael's daughter Tracey tries out for Fame or Shame, an America's Got Talent style talent show. Lazlow is the host. Michael finds out that she is trying out as a dancer, despite the fact that she's terrible, so Trevor convinces him to go "save her from becoming a national laughingstock." You find Tracey dancing like a stripper for the judges, pull her out of the audition, attack Lazlow, and he runs off in his electric car. Michael and Trevor chase him down in an 18-wheeler, with Trevor insulting Lazlow and complaining about how terrible he is the whole way. When you finally catch him, Lazlow pleads for his life, calling himself worthless, untalented, and unfunny, and he seems somewhat confused as to why he is a celebrity. Trevor then has him drop his pants and dance like Tracey did so he can record it, and then spares his life.

yeah that was neat but it doesn't erase that they still paid him a lot of money to write a bunch of horrible awful shit for their game

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I don't think that as supposed to be self-aware anyway.

I think they just thought it would be funny to portray him that way.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Lazlow being a loser has been a running joke forever and doesn't excuse anything.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    he gets fired from the radio in every game he is on it.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    Guys I just want to say

I've been working my way through this pack of oreos.

Like, pretty slow because let me tell you. They taste terrible. But they're oreos, like, how can they be bad. So I leave them alone for a bit, forget about them, and then eat another couple and remember how bad they were.

Just hunted down the box I got them from

Best before August 2011

Don't eat oreos that expired 2 years ago.

They don't taste that great

I should sell expired Oreos™ to kids

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I brought this bag of irregular Oreos

I don't see what's wrong with this one...

Oh.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    In the Pokemon universe, does anyone eat Pokemon?

There are texts in I think Diamond and Pearl that mention early humans ate Pokemon and both parties were totally cool with it.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Repels are great design - they cost a lot because if you're buying them, then logically you don't need as many pokeballs or potions (haha like anyone actually buys potions). The main reason people hate caves is because they're all filled with the same Pokemon. If there was more variety then you wouldn't mind, but the endless stream of Zubats and Geodudes is obnoxious.

In X/Y you've got much higher wild Pokemon variety, and Exp All gives 100% exp to your lead dude and 50% to all the other duders in your team so you're encouraged to just fight everything.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Aww! Tiny Death Star, Disney's new Star Wars game

I had no interest in a new Star Wars game other than maybe a new Battlefront until this.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Second Life segment was amazing in every way.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I have never played a Pokemon game before, but I've been reading up on X/Y because it sounds like they've done a lot of good things, like sharing XP (so grinding is all but eliminated). Plus, they finally have actual graphics and animations now.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I have never grinded in a pokemon game except to catch a rarer pokemon. I don't know what you guys are doing.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    I didn't realize it until recently, but Pikachu was a rare find in a set of tall grass in Red/Blue in the beginning of the game

If you were a kid in the 90's who was watching the show hence your purchase of the game, you wanted that dang pokemon right away

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Caves are the most soul-draining thing

OH BOY I CAN'T AVOID THE POKEMON AND THEY ARE ALL FUCKING ZUBATS

Apparently X and Y changes this so that caves are more like regular routes, with dark areas holding pokemon and lighter areas going without them.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

I had no interest in a new Star Wars game other than maybe a new Battlefront until this.

So, Star Wars Tiny Tower? This will end me.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    oh no OH NO

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    I am the film-negative version of Uriel

Helping people make poor decisions all the time

You're....not me

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Oh god damn it

Tiny Death Star

dammit Nimblebit that sounds awesome

I'm also glad to see that it's Nimblebit working with Disney, since I was afraid that they might've just stolen the idea entirely from them.

• Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular

so

this validates the clerks rant?

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I wonder if they'll follow it up with Pocket Smugglers?
    A fleet of Millenium Falcons flying cargo all over the galaxy.

Oh God, why did I even think that?

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I'm seeing what people are claiming to be screenshots of Beyond.

The worst part is is that I really can't be sure that an image with button prompts for bathroom hygene is a fake.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013

The worst part is is that I really can't be sure that an image with button prompts for bathroom hygene is a fake.

you can tell it's fake because it's giving the player too much agency (choosing between going #1 or #2 for example)

a real david cage production would force you to go number 2, but then make the process of doing so an aggravating series of quicktime button presses with an instant-fail state

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

It's fake.

IKknkhU.gif
This discussion has been closed.