Options

DOOM: Ripping and Tearing After All These Years

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Okay, played a couple of matches of Sector and one of Exodus. My early thoughts

Sector: basically there are sections of the map that randomly show up as capturable. When you capture the point, it'll count down from 15 and when the countdown is over, the zone is removed and you get a point. A new random zone pops up after a few seconds. First to seven points wins. There's usually two zones at once on the map. I found this one to be pretty fun, actually. You're not stuck defending the same 3 points like in Domination.

Exodus: So, like in Warpath, there are zones that are constantly migrating around a track. The flag spawns randomly along this track (I'm guessing in-between the two capture points, which are also on the track) and you have to grab the flag and get it back to your capture point. First to seven captures wins. I didn't like this one as much.. Having the flag spawn along the track feels a bit too random.

Also they reorganized the playlists.

Team Deathmatch, Soul Harvest and Warpath are the only modes with specific playlists. (Domination, Freeze Tag, Clan Arena and the two new modes are relegated to mixed playlists_)

There's a "New Mode" playlist with Exodus and Sector, Team Deathmatch has been removed from the "Team Objective Mix" playlist (Soul Harvest, Warpath, Domination, Exodus and Sector make up the list now) and Team Round Based Mix is still Freeze Tag and Clan Arena.

Double XP nuts. You already level up so fast in this game: I got like four levels in a single match!

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I had an endgame question.
    So this Argent Energy that Dr. Hayden has been exploiting is not from hell, but rather Argent D'Jur and therefore Doom Slayer's homeworld? That would only further put the two at odds in the next game if Dr. Hayden literally wants to cleanse and seize Argent D'Jur.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I honestly didn't have trouble with any of the enemies in this game. I attribute this to my obsession with doing every combat challenge and secret on every level the first time through. By the end of the game, I had everything mostly upgraded and all the best shit available to me. The only things I found hard were trying to do some of the challenges, like the one where you needed to kill Two Barons of Hell with one shot (Protip: It won't let you do this with a quad damage BFG). So I had to maneuver them into a narrow area and seige cannon them both to death with the quad damage upgrade on.

Not impressed with downloading a 12gig patch full of MP garbage I have no interest in though. I really want more actual single player content for this game.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I had an endgame question.
    So this Argent Energy that Dr. Hayden has been exploiting is not from hell, but rather Argent D'Jur and therefore Doom Slayer's homeworld? That would only further put the two at odds in the next game if Dr. Hayden literally wants to cleanse and seize Argent D'Jur.
    Originally it seems, though Hell absorbs other dimensions into itself and did that to Argent. Hence Argent energy sort've is from Hell now. Hayden almost certainly has some designs on the place. Dunno about cleansing though.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Saturday afternoon after a big patch during a double XP weekend and I can't even find people on a couple of these playlists. Good grief.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Saturday afternoon after a big patch during a double XP weekend and I can't even find people on a couple of these playlists. Good grief.

DOOM is my GOTY so far. I still play through the campaign over and over again, and would recommend the game without hesitation based on just that. But I was never here for the multiplayer. It doesn't really surprise me that no one plays it.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Yea the last time I tried to play I couldn't find a match of regular team deathmatch. I have to imagine the multi is pretty much dead on the vine.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    That $40 season pass seems like an amazing deal huh.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The MP just annoys me that we have yet another game that could've been even better if not for the stupid idea that every damned game these days has to have multiplayer so a publisher can try and squeeze money from DLC.

At the very least, they could've stripped out the multiplayer, kept the singleplayer exactly the same, and came out ahead with a shitload more money because it wasn't wasted on MP.

Or skipped the MP and dumped the resources into more SP for the part of the game it seems like everybody actually wanted to play, or at least made new SP content.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    At least the MP achievements seem fairly minimal. Just reach level 5 (done in two games yesterday), win a match (same), and... wear a specific piece of random armor? That's annoying.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    At least the MP achievements seem fairly minimal. Just reach level 5 (done in two games yesterday), win a match (same), and... wear a specific piece of random armor? That's annoying.

That last one is from the that's being released next week.

It bothers me more than it probably should that they added achievements for the multiplayer DLC. It means that I no longer have all the achievements!

• Options
    Zxerol wrote: »
    That $40 season pass seems like an amazing deal huh.

It would still be overpriced even if Doom had a happening multiplayer scene.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    The MP just annoys me that we have yet another game that could've been even better if not for the stupid idea that every damned game these days has to have multiplayer so a publisher can try and squeeze money from DLC.

I feel like DOOM isn't really just one more in the pile of "every damned game." The original had multiplayer, there's some argument that they should carry it over.

On the other hand, the original had coop, too, which is how I played most of it, and that's not present here, so eh.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

At the very least, they could've stripped out the multiplayer, kept the singleplayer exactly the same, and came out ahead with a shitload more money because it wasn't wasted on MP.

Or skipped the MP and dumped the resources into more SP for the part of the game it seems like everybody actually wanted to play, or at least made new SP content.

The original releases were some of the first games to have multiplayer over modem. Not having any multiplayer period would feel kind of odd but I agree with Orogogus in that it would have worked better had the multiplayer been more like original Doom multiplayer including the "co-op" with full friendly fire on.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Eh, putting multiplayer in the latest Doom just because the first game had it isn't much of a justification to me. It was only significant back then because it was one of the very first FPS games and one of the first with multiplayer (if not THE first on both counts). These days, it's just another multiplayer with space marines and space weapons.
    Orogogus wrote: »

I feel like DOOM isn't really just one more in the pile of "every damned game." The original had multiplayer, there's some argument that they should carry it over.

On the other hand, the original had coop, too, which is how I played most of it, and that's not present here, so eh.

The way the MP is handled certainly feels like an "every damned game" situation to me. It was outsourced to a different dev team, isn't even really part of the main game and has to launch its own separate way, and really isn't even the same game because of the gameplay changes.

And what is all the DLC for? The multiplayer, because that's where everybody these days tries to wring more money out of the players.

I'd say the lack of coop is puzzling, except there's no money in that so no surprise it didn't get put in.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Eh, putting multiplayer in the latest Doom just because the first game had it isn't much of a justification to me. It was only significant back then because it was one of the very first FPS games and one of the first with multiplayer (if not THE first on both counts). These days, it's just another multiplayer with space marines and space weapons.
    Orogogus wrote: »

The way the MP is handled certainly feels like an "every damned game" situation to me. It was outsourced to a different dev team, isn't even really part of the main game and has to launch its own separate way, and really isn't even the same game because of the gameplay changes.

And what is all the DLC for? The multiplayer, because that's where everybody these days tries to wring more money out of the players.

I'd say the lack of coop is puzzling, except there's no money in that so no surprise it didn't get put in.

I think the multiplayer was chasing the wrong audience. If they had made it "classic id DM game" it would've been better, in my opinion. Not this weird middle-ground of modern/old school that pleases no one. Of course having co-op would've been nice too, but I'm guessing it would've been a lot of extra work that they didn't want to sink time into? Just a thought.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Not this weird middle-ground of modern/old school that pleases no one.

Yo!

• Options

Yo!

A little bit of hyperbole from me. Anyway, legitimately asking, in your opinion, would you prefer the current multiplayer or something akin to previous id DM offerings?

• Options
    edited July 2016

Yo!

A little bit of hyperbole from me. Anyway, legitimately asking, in your opinion, would you prefer the current multiplayer or something akin to previous id DM offerings?

Depends on what form that took. I have no interest in playing Quake III but prettier. (If I did, I'd just go play Quake III), so there'd have to be some form of modernization. Right now I like the loadouts, the flow of the game, and enough of the gameplay modes. I'm totally down with them adding FFA Deathmatch, which should have been in at launch, quite frankly.

What specifically are you suggesting they change?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Yo!

Depends on what form that took. I have no interest in playing Quake III but prettier. (If I did, I'd just go play Quake III), so there'd have to be some form of modernization. Right now I like the loadouts, the flow of the game, and enough of the gameplay modes. I'm totally down with them adding FFA Deathmatch, which should have been in at launch, quite frankly.

What specifically are you suggesting they change?

I would want load outs removed with no weapon limits and some kind of strafe jumping at the very minimum. Yeah, Doom1&2 didn't have strafe jumping (no jumping at all, really), but Doom3 did, no matter how much you (in general) liked or disliked the game. There are other things that should be added to make the game better (like pain sounds), but those two attributes for sure. I can understand people not wanting to play Quake3 again, but it seems to be a catch-all phrase used to explain a DM game. All the Quakes are fairly different in how they play, even Quake4 (how many people here know about Quake4's crouch sliding for instance?). Just because they all have some form of strafe jumping doesn't mean they are all the same. The weapons, speeds of movement and weapons, and how weapons act, are pretty different. Different weapons are dominant in each game. The double jump in Doom is unique enough that I think it's a good addition (minus it killing your speed). If you had the upgraded air control you can get in the single player, it'd be great.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Honestly, I wouldn't have bothered wasting resources on the MP in the first place for this game. Sadly, it's easy for me to say that after the fact. It just doesn't offer anything unique or worthwhile as an experience over other similar games. Especially considering they didn't fall into this trap with Wolfenstein, where they focused on making a long and very satisfying/expansive single player. Then again they didn't do a lot of DLC for that IIRC and the expansion was an entire stand alone game. I do wonder if they wanted to stick with MP in the hope that it would make for an easier time in making regular DLC - which isn't so simple when you're trying to add things to a single player game.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular

Yo!

I can see it now. Undead Scottsman running around on server by himself. Making the barren wasteland his playground. Trying to test the limits of the physics engine by getting a speed buff and trying to move fast enough to frag himself with his own rocket.

Due to this patch there is a momentary blip of interest. A lone player joins Undead's server and snipes right before he can make that rocket land.
    time-enough-at-last-2-001-e1338256537770.jpg

There was time now!
    I have no idea what Doom multiplayer is like.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure it's too relevant to most of the thread, but earlier in the week, the Doom 2016 demo was updated with the Vulkan engine support, so if you wanted to see how the full game would run in Vulkan before you get the game, you can do that.

On another note: Doom 4 for Doom
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7_HSEJlkkM
    Pretty neat seeming mod for GZDoom. It can be found at: http://www.moddb.com/mods/d4d-doom4-for-doom/downloads/doom4-for-doom-aka-d4d

I haven't tried it yet myself, though it did remind me to check out the newest version of Brutal Doom which lead me to Hell on Earth Starter Pack, which I downloaded yesterday to mess around a bit. The Doom 4 for Doom mod author said they're looking at making a version of the mod that would work with BD:HoESP to add the guns and new monster abilities and such, which sounds pretty neat. I also took a peek at Project Brutality, which also seemed pretty ridiculous. Now that I've finished Assassin's Creed Black Flag, I may take a break from constantly holding my R2 button and play some good new, old school Doom.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I would've loved a coop grind fest like mass effect multiplayer. But again yeah it's easy to say with hindsight that multiplayer the way it was done was a bad idea, but it probably was the result of hedging their bets and going for the safe option

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Some kind of Horde mode reliving the UAC's attempts to hold off demons during the first invasion (before Doomguy was awakened), or the fateful excursion into Hell itself, would have been cool.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    Some kind of Horde mode reliving the UAC's attempts to hold off demons during the first invasion (before Doomguy was awakened), or the fateful excursion into Hell itself, would have been cool.

Yeah, something like the Doom 64 intro

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OuOqUAyup6M

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    That intro is so awesome but also incredibly frustrating at the time when I realized there was no co-op play.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    DLC 1 is apparently out a day early.

Have a trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgWSz5kvtbI

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Are they ever gonna put the ost up on iTunes?

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Kind of a weird one but does anyone else have an issue where the resolution seems to set itself to something different every time you load the game up?

Not really annoying, just weird.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    OOooh I want

etc-doom-marineexclusive-spread.jpg

Wait, it's $260. Nevermind.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    No midrif no sale.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    EDIT - Nevermind, I see there is already a Quake thread.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    OOooh I want

snip

I want a Doomguy... guy. The little collectible dudes. Do those exist in pog form yet?

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    OOooh I want

snip

I want a Doomguy... guy. The little collectible dudes. Do those exist in pog form yet?

My wife got me this guy a few years ago, and I like it a lot more than the newer funko doom guy

SY163lg.jpg

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Man, now I want to get copies of the original Doom games (and Hexen, especially with this Legend mod that looks really damn nice) since I've gotten into messing around with GZDoom and modding and such. It's unfortunate that I just missed getting them during the Summer sale. But what's this? Quakecon sale! ...With the Doom and Heretic/Hexen classics for... some of the worst sale prices they've ever had. 40% off? Geez guys.

• Options
    They started ANOTHER double XP weekend this week.

Also, apparently classic deathmatch is playable at QuakeCon and is coming "very very soon" in a free update.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    The amount of time I kill myself by shooting a red barrel is embarrassing....

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    OOooh I want

snip

I want a doomguy Mega Bloks fig.

I know this is unlikely, but if they made it...

3-5 bucks, great look, great articulation, and small enough to keep in a pocket. Delightful.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Man, now I want to get copies of the original Doom games (and Hexen, especially with this Legend mod that looks really damn nice) since I've gotten into messing around with GZDoom and modding and such. It's unfortunate that I just missed getting them during the Summer sale. But what's this? Quakecon sale! ...With the Doom and Heretic/Hexen classics for... some of the worst sale prices they've ever had. 40% off? Geez guys.

Even with a crappy deal you'll get so much fun out of these games the price is a pittance.