Options

DOOM: Ripping and Tearing After All These Years

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I'm up to my balls in games right now. I might come back to that in a little bit so that way it's a fresher experience.

Ugh... FPS games are going to pale in comparison.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Though I still think Doom is better, try Titanfall 2 if you haven't already. It's different enough that you won't be constantly comparing the two, but also does some really fun and unique things in the same spirit of Doom and has a similarly fun gameplay-focused experience.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Though I still think Doom is better, try Titanfall 2 if you haven't already. It's different enough that you won't be constantly comparing the two, but also does some really fun and unique things in the same spirit of Doom and has a similarly fun gameplay-focused experience.

Yeah I got it for Christmas on the PS4 and I love how fast you have to play it in comparison to all other FPS games. Plus the lack of cover is a win.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Picked this game up in the winter sale, haven't had a ton of time to play it (just got the first mod for the shotgun) but man am I loving it. It hits all of those nostalgic notes juuuuuust right and adds enough new stuff (man, glory kills have me coming at the enemies from all angles just to see a new animation) to be amazing.

Now, if someone could make a modern, good Turok game...

• Options
    Cruor wrote: »
    Picked this game up in the winter sale, haven't had a ton of time to play it (just got the first mod for the shotgun) but man am I loving it. It hits all of those nostalgic notes juuuuuust right and adds enough new stuff (man, glory kills have me coming at the enemies from all angles just to see a new animation) to be amazing.

Now, if someone could make a modern, good Turok game...

Oh man. Buckle up.

• Options
    I love how angry the playable character is at seemingly everything. Oh, the transmission from this monitor is done? FUCK YOU, MONITOR *throws it*

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Just wait until you can do stuff like using the runes for faster glory kills plus enhanced speed after glory kills and then pick up a Berserk powerup, or get the chaingun max upgraded for turret mode and snag Quad Damage. Bits. Everywhere.

A lot of games expend considerable effort telling the player how badass they are, but when you tear through a few dozen demons in a bloody frenzy of organs, bullets, and blood, nobody needs to tell you shit about how badass Doomguy is because you just know.

Especially with that kickass soundtrack behind you.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I think my favorite thing in the game was slowly realizing that the demons view the Doomslayer kind of the same way that the vampires viewed Robert Neville in I Am Legend.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    So I picked this up on a steamsale, but I can't get it to run on my PC.

I get the below error (spoilered) and I think it might be to do with Nvidia Share/Geforce experience?

I've tried using devmode in steam but it still locks up before I get past anything but a black screen with some nonsense share/streaming option.

Anyone have similar problems or can tell me what's wrong?
    DOOMx64.exe @ 0xcd5ef1a9( ) + bytes () : ** UNKNOWN **( ** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR ** )
    DOOMx64.exe @ 0xceb90b9b( ) + bytes () : GetGameSystemInterface( )
    KERNEL32.DLL @ 0xb3bc8364( ) + bytes () : BaseThreadInitThunk( )
    ntdll.dll @ 0xb45070d1( ) + bytes () : RtlUserThreadStart( )
    FATAL ERROR: Loading unverified resource. Verify files with Steam or set 'devMode_enable' to allow unverified resources: resource file C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DOOM\base\gameresources.patch
    Set cvar 'devMode_enable' to enable Dev Mode.
    Dumped console text to C:\Users\khrau\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM\base\ErrorLog_01-04-2017__01-40-23pm.txt.

idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
    Shutting down OpenGL subsystem

FATAL ERROR: Loading unverified resource. Verify files with Steam or set 'devMode_enable' to allow unverified resources: resource file C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DOOM\base\gameresources.patch
    Set cvar 'devMode_enable' to enable Dev Mode.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm assuming you tried verifying your files.

• Options

Just did.

I've had steam for years and I didn't even know that was a thing you could do. Looks like there's dozens of bad files.

Thanks!

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »

Just did.

I've had steam for years and I didn't even know that was a thing you could do. Looks like there's dozens of bad files.

Thanks!

It really is amazing how many issues can be solved with Steam's verification process. I got stuck in the intro of Mass Effect 2 years ago because a bunch of geometry disappeared in the middle of that sequence. Verified the game and bam, found a hundred bad files and fixed it up.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I think my favorite thing in the game was slowly realizing that the demons view the Doomslayer kind of the same way that the vampires viewed Robert Neville in I Am Legend.

You start with the impression that you are really bad news for the demons just based on the fact that you were found sealed away and from the archaeology logs early on but then well after you've been chainsawing big demons and mowing down the little ones to firmly establish that you are a walking act of God you get to find Hell's written record of you. The exposition waits until after you've already lived up to it.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Pretty much my only complaint is that bodies dissapear. I know why it happens, but it was so much fun in the old Dooms seeing all those sprite corpses after a big battle. The emptiness in the room after a major and intense battle always feels like a letdown. They should have at least made the dissapearing burn animation more over the top, like flames and a pile of dust like a buffy vampire

• Options
    So I verified the game cache via steam, it found 150+ bad files and reloaded them.

Still crashes on startup.

Verify again.... 109 bad files :question: Download and try again.... crashes.

Verify again... 56 bad files!

I'm now on verify attempt number 8 and the last attempt there were still 19 bad files.

I just want to shoot stuff. Instead of being able to shoot demons I just have 100+ gigs of patches and reloaded files sitting on my D drive. What the fuck is wrong with this game?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I've seen this before, you've got ants in your internet.

• Options
    august wrote: »
    I've seen this before, you've got ants in your internet.

Great... now I've got to put ant bait in the tubes.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    The demons are clearly scared of you. They have hexed your hard drive in a last ditch effort to keep you on the bench.

26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
  • Options
    It seems to be the case. Before I was verifying and jumping double digits in fixed files. The last three attempts have taken me from 19 to 18 to 17. At an hour+ per download I might be playing this by February.

Might be time for a steam refund and to wait for a PS4 sale.

I can't find anywhere how to actually fix the problem.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    It seems to be the case. Before I was verifying and jumping double digits in fixed files. The last three attempts have taken me from 19 to 18 to 17. At an hour+ per download I might be playing this by February.

That sounds pretty unique. I can only imagine that the game is having trouble configuring itself to some arcane combination of hardware you're running. Never heard of any kind of continual fuckup with verification like that.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    It sounds like hd failure tbh.

• Options
    Warcry wrote: »

That sounds pretty unique. I can only imagine that the game is having trouble configuring itself to some arcane combination of hardware you're running. Never heard of any kind of continual fuckup with verification like that.

Yeah, I've never had this kind of problem with a game before, and it's not like I'm running any weird peripherals or anything. My rig is a Asus Z170-E mobo, Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHzand GTX 1060.

I build it like a month ago and none of the other games I've installed are having this problem.

I've found hints online somewhere that it has something to do with the Share feature in the geforce experience, but I can't find a solution in how to disable that. The one fix I found had me disabling a system file that currently doesn't exist on my PC.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    august wrote: »
    It sounds like hd failure tbh.

I've run it on my brand new SSD and on an older HHD with no change in the problem.

Super lost at this point. Everything else works... It's just DOOM.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    The latest development on another attempt to verify files...

dyguc78hrocq.png

I have never seen problems like this with steam.

Also I ran some SSD/HDD tests, and both drives appear to be healthy.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

dyguc78hrocq.png

Try turning off your anti-virus.

• Options

dyguc78hrocq.png

Try turning off your anti-virus.

Will do!

Also I appreciate the help everyone.

I'd really like to shoot some demons

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I'm struggling to enjoy this:
    1. It drives my PS4 fans into overdrive. So crazy noisy. I can't really appreciate any of the audio.
    2. I'm running around the first outdoor area and it's kinda confusing with enemies randomly appearing.
    3. My health seems to be fluctuating between 30% and full life and I don't really know why. I always do the Glory Kill if I can. Sometimes I get a ton of life,, sometimes nothing.
    4. Everything moves so fast it all seems meaningless. Enemies appear (I don't know where from), I line them up and shoot. A repeat forever.

Maybe my expectations were too high after Polygon gave it #1 GotY.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    1.Sounds like something's wrong with your PS4, I'm on Xbox so not sure how to troubleshoot that, on Xbox I'd do a hard reset, or reinstall as a last resort. Not being able to hear projectiles or monster noise directions could be tough but if you're not on too hard a difficulty it should be fine (from a gameplay perspective at least)

2. Enemies spawn in kind of mini arenas a lot of the time, so you can generally learn to run around and almost kite them, but they shouldn't be random, just keep moving in rough circles (or whatever you need to do to find pickups or avoid danger) to keep on top of them, you've got to kind of herd them like cattle, picking off stragglers and stretching them thin, attacking when you notice an opportunity or jumping away if you feel swamped or like a lot of projectiles might be heading your way. Always be moving basically

Also a lot of the time you have to climb to progress, there's some platforming and climbing puzzles, hopefully you'll get used to it, but I can't remember the first open area being more than a basic curved linear line. Try the map if you're stuck. Eventually you have some backtracking with cards and stuff, similar to original doom levels, which can get pretty confusing, but it's part of the fun to figure it out. Levels aren't normally that big, but they can get complex in some parts. You should be fine after it starts teaching you what to look for.

Fundamentally you should never stop moving though, and never go for glory kills that might leave you open to melee attacks from adjacent enemies, at least not at first until you get the hang of it and can pull off riskier stuff. Take advantage of climbing and jumping too, and the eventual double jump

3. Not sure what difficulty youre playing on, but always be moving, enemies have no hitscan guns, so the only damage you can receive is from projectiles or melee atacks, so stay away from groups and don't get cornered, and you'll eventually get a knack for keeping moving and dodging projectiles. Also unlike other games you need to search your immediate area for health packs and armour shards. Things get easier as things get tougher if that makes sense, you unlock better abilities, more health and armour, etc, as you progress. Don't rely solely on glory kills for health, sometimes you'll want to run around your immediate area when a fight starts up to check for health packs and bonus stuff like berserker mode, quad damage, haste etc, which you can use on the spot or come back to when things get hairy.

And while 30hp does seem a bit low (you shouldn't be dropping quite that much that often) this is a game where you're going to be losing and gaining health constantly. It's part of the dance and eventually you get better at managing it, with better guns, abilities and permenant health and armour pool upgrades

4. I'm not really sure what you mean by meaningless, if you mean without structure then I'd have to disagree, you will definitely start to learn a structure and a strategy on how to manage enemies. Enemies do spawn in but it's definitely crafted, each encounter definitely has a flow to it that is intentionally designed.

While it can seem like enemies just spawn around you and flood you without direction, as you get in the habit of keeping on the move, jumping, quickly exploring your environment, you'll eventually develop an understanding of the fights you are in, and get used to turning any spawn pattern into a managed tail of angry demons. Most often you sort of loop around dealing with the most dangerous ones first, pulling them apart and running rings around them so they can't gang up on you.

As more enemy types get thrown into the mix you're doing a lot of different situational stuff to keep them at bay, weapon choice, movement, and the order in which you tackle enemies becomes the puzzle you have to work out for each encounter, its not just point and shoot randomly spawning enemies for the whole game. Although, I mean, it is fundamentally about pointing and shooting

The only thing I can think of as a reason why your health is dropping is you're getting hit by projectiles. Enemies don't normally spawn behind you, at least it's not helpful to think of yourself as having a "front" or "behind", you should be moving and changing direction almost constantly and before long you'll be appearing behind surprised demons

Prohass on
  • Options
    To be honest I couldn't imagine playing this game on the console. I can imagine if you didn't grow up playing Unreal/Doom/etc that a fast paced shooter would be very jarring. Especially with the health fluctuation.

• Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    Doom is that kind of game where I want to read other people's opinions about how awesome the game is to justify my own love of the game.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    It's a fast paced frenetic shooter that reminds me how great stuff was before cover mechanics became the norm. Want more health? Bash a demon to death with your bare hands. Want more ammo? Chainsaw a fool in half. It's great.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    If your having trouble remeber the four D's of DOOM

Dip
    Duck
    Dodge
    Dismember

• Options
    Suds wrote: »
    Doom is that kind of game where I want to read other people's opinions about how awesome the game is to justify my own love of the game.

I literally gush every time I tell someone about the game. Especially if they weren't sure if it'd be any good.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Over vacation, I spent a bunch of time watching/listening to TotalBiscuit videos, and the one from his livestream where he spent like 3 hours playing DOOM is pretty great. He wasn't a fan of the Multiplayer, and found the campaign to be a pleasant surprise. Goes from hating the notion of glory kills to being pretty happy with how the system was implemented in maybe half an hour.

Not that TB is some arbiter of quality, just something I enjoyed; watching someone dive into the game with reservations, and walk away a few hours later an unapologetic fan of what they did with DOOM.

Edit: this being the video in question, if anyone has 2 hours to kill (they trimmed parts where he was away)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKQ92yZiVkY

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Prohass wrote: »
    1.Sounds like something's wrong with your PS4, I'm on Xbox so not sure how to troubleshoot that, on Xbox I'd do a hard reset, or reinstall as a last resort. Not being able to hear projectiles or monster noise directions could be tough but if you're not on too hard a difficulty it should be fine (from a gameplay perspective at least)

2. Enemies spawn in kind of mini arenas a lot of the time, so you can generally learn to run around and almost kite them, but they shouldn't be random, just keep moving in rough circles (or whatever you need to do to find pickups or avoid danger) to keep on top of them, you've got to kind of herd them like cattle, picking off stragglers and stretching them thin, attacking when you notice an opportunity or jumping away if you feel swamped or like a lot of projectiles might be heading your way. Always be moving basically

Also a lot of the time you have to climb to progress, there's some platforming and climbing puzzles, hopefully you'll get used to it, but I can't remember the first open area being more than a basic curved linear line. Try the map if you're stuck. Eventually you have some backtracking with cards and stuff, similar to original doom levels, which can get pretty confusing, but it's part of the fun to figure it out. Levels aren't normally that big, but they can get complex in some parts. You should be fine after it starts teaching you what to look for.

Fundamentally you should never stop moving though, and never go for glory kills that might leave you open to melee attacks from adjacent enemies, at least not at first until you get the hang of it and can pull off riskier stuff. Take advantage of climbing and jumping too, and the eventual double jump

3. Not sure what difficulty youre playing on, but always be moving, enemies have no hitscan guns, so the only damage you can receive is from projectiles or melee atacks, so stay away from groups and don't get cornered, and you'll eventually get a knack for keeping moving and dodging projectiles. Also unlike other games you need to search your immediate area for health packs and armour shards. Things get easier as things get tougher if that makes sense, you unlock better abilities, more health and armour, etc, as you progress. Don't rely solely on glory kills for health, sometimes you'll want to run around your immediate area when a fight starts up to check for health packs and bonus stuff like berserker mode, quad damage, haste etc, which you can use on the spot or come back to when things get hairy.

And while 30hp does seem a bit low (you shouldn't be dropping quite that much that often) this is a game where you're going to be losing and gaining health constantly. It's part of the dance and eventually you get better at managing it, with better guns, abilities and permenant health and armour pool upgrades

4. I'm not really sure what you mean by meaningless, if you mean without structure then I'd have to disagree, you will definitely start to learn a structure and a strategy on how to manage enemies. Enemies do spawn in but it's definitely crafted, each encounter definitely has a flow to it that is intentionally designed.

While it can seem like enemies just spawn around you and flood you without direction, as you get in the habit of keeping on the move, jumping, quickly exploring your environment, you'll eventually develop an understanding of the fights you are in, and get used to turning any spawn pattern into a managed tail of angry demons. Most often you sort of loop around dealing with the most dangerous ones first, pulling them apart and running rings around them so they can't gang up on you.

As more enemy types get thrown into the mix you're doing a lot of different situational stuff to keep them at bay, weapon choice, movement, and the order in which you tackle enemies becomes the puzzle you have to work out for each encounter, its not just point and shoot randomly spawning enemies for the whole game. Although, I mean, it is fundamentally about pointing and shooting

The only thing I can think of as a reason why your health is dropping is you're getting hit by projectiles. Enemies don't normally spawn behind you, at least it's not helpful to think of yourself as having a "front" or "behind", you should be moving and changing direction almost constantly and before long you'll be appearing behind surprised demons

Thanks for the tips. I was getting lost in that first big area. Everything looked like red tunnels and I was never sure how well I could jump, so I'd often hit what I thought was a dead end, then back track, go nowhere, then come back to the dead end again and figure out I could jump over a place and keep going.

Meanwhile, projectile dudes kept appearing even though I thought I killed them all, so I couldn't explore in peace. I was getting pretty annoyed. I'm playing on the standard difficulty BTW

I'll give it another go, but I'm not on the gameplay's wavelength right now.

Still not sure why DOOM sends my PS4 fans into overdrive. It was 29 C (84 F) in the house, so maybe that's it. A handful of other games do it too (i.e. Witcher 3).

Kriegaffe on
  • Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    We need more double-jumping in our lives. That dude from Dr. Strange had it - why can't I?

• Options
    If it's the level I'm thinking of @Kriegaffe then it's really the only level I had a hard time finding the right path.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    its honestly been a while since Ive played but is there musical cues to tell you enemies still remain? It seems like imps are causing you the trouble, and yeah they can be real bastards with a sudden fireball attack from nowhere, but just always be scavenging for healthpacks to make up for any drops in hp before you leave an area. They become less of a problem the more hp and armour and abilities you unlock, because any surprise fireball basically does hardly any damage at that point

Prohass on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I went from DOOM to a POE-hole to Cities Skylines to Overwatch to (now) Witcher 3 and probably back to Overwatch after I finish my 2nd playthrough of the main quest and my first of the expansions.

I am in game euphoria.

Nothing else will ever measure up to that lineup of goodness.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    DOOM is one of the only games that I didn't turn the music off for. It's important to keep moving if the battle music is still playing, even if you don't see the demon. He's somewhere, looking for you. Go shoot him in the back.

The game is very much insane frantic action separated by moments of total peace and solitude. Maybe a little too much, actually. There are some parts where a few demons will pop up to attack you and aren't a part of one of those huge attacks, but they are rare.. which makes them nice and shocking but there's still much more uninterrupted peaceful exploration once you survive that attack.