As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Republic of Thieves is out?! also other book talk

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Also try the Anubis Gates by Tim Powers and American Gods by Neil Gaiman

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Rivers of London -Ben Aaronavitch or some such. That was the one mentioned last page. I think the US release was titled Midnight Riot

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Help me, SE++, you're my only hope!

For about the past year, I've really gotten hooked on Urban Fantasy. I started with The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher, then read The Druid Chronicles series by Kevin Hearne. Now I'm finishing up The Hollows series by Kim Harrison.

I didn't care for the Anita Blake series Laurelle K. Hamilton's works, too much focus on sex and not enough on the sluething/adventuring and the magic aspects. I made it to the 10th book or so, but it was a slog after the first few. I also didn't like The Secret Histories by Simon R. Greene, as it was too much magical adventure and not enough urban/sluething.

Any recommendations for me in this genre? Is Patricia Briggs any good?

hey how does that Iron Druid business hold up cause the blurb on it about made my eyes roll out my head

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I'm not going to lie, I was super pissed about the end of The Last Argument of Kings. Hated the hell out of it.

Well that's intriguing. Now I have to finish it.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    How is that more intriguing than what I said?!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Heffling you could try the Sandman Slim books by Richard Kadrey, the Bobby Dollar books by Tad Williams, and Emma Bull's books.

• Options
    Spiced HamSpiced Ham Registered User regular
    Monstrous Regiment started me out on Pratchett cause I saw it randomly on a book shelf.

I want to read all the Watch books and Death books. Hogfather is one of my favorites.

Late by a month but the Watch series is easily my favourite of the Pratchett line, though I didn't enjoy Snuff as much as I thought I should.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Help me, SE++, you're my only hope!

For about the past year, I've really gotten hooked on Urban Fantasy. I started with The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher, then read The Druid Chronicles series by Kevin Hearne. Now I'm finishing up The Hollows series by Kim Harrison.

I didn't care for the Anita Blake series Laurelle K. Hamilton's works, too much focus on sex and not enough on the sluething/adventuring and the magic aspects. I made it to the 10th book or so, but it was a slog after the first few. I also didn't like The Secret Histories by Simon R. Greene, as it was too much magical adventure and not enough urban/sluething.

Any recommendations for me in this genre? Is Patricia Briggs any good?

Not sure if it's really urban fantasy, but you might like the Laundry Files books by Charles Stross.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Peen wrote: »
    Heffling you could try the Sandman Slim books by Richard Kadrey, the Bobby Dollar books by Tad Williams, and Emma Bull's books.

Agree on Sandman. It's hit and miss for me, but hits tend to outweigh the misses.

Heffling, if you tried Blake then the vamp/wolf/otherthingslikethat urban aspect may appeal (non-sex oriented)? If so, the 5-book Joe Pitt series from Charlie Huston isn't a bad set. Fairly quick, pulpy reading.

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Spiced Ham wrote: »
    Monstrous Regiment started me out on Pratchett cause I saw it randomly on a book shelf.

I want to read all the Watch books and Death books. Hogfather is one of my favorites.

Late by a month but the Watch series is easily my favourite of the Pratchett line, though I didn't enjoy Snuff as much as I thought I should.

I felt like Snuff was Vimes getting a little too myffic. It started off in Night Watch, but as a character he's larger than life these days, compared to the man who only just beat Wolfgang's game. Plus there wasn't much of the traditional Watch supporting cast, and the... goblins? didn't feel nearly as well realised as any of the other races. It was kind of like the introduction of the new race in Unseen Academicals, but even more so.

His medical situation also seems to be affecting the style in it - I remember times when there were characters monologuing for like an entire page, rather than the snappy conversation and observations in his best books. It makes me a little apprehensive for his new book, which I believe is out today.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    How is that more intriguing than what I said?!

It's more the contrast between what you said and what Peen said. I value your opinion Bale! Don't hate me!

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    wait is there a new Discworld novel?

• Options
    oh fucking hell not in America there isn't
    not til March

• Options
    Usagi wrote: »
    Ooh book thread! I've kind of fallen off my nonfiction joint and picked up Umberto Eco's Name of the Rose

For a mystery/mystic novel about 14th century monkhood it's remarkably good, if a bit dense

Going to reread Foucault's Pendulum when I'm done

The movie had Sean Connery, Ron Perlman and Slate Dogg and was pretty dang good. I really need to grab that book and the book of princess bride.

• Options
    A friend of mine read the book of Princess Bride recently, after having been a fan of the movie for years, and afterwards complained to me that she just couldn't find the non-abridged version anywhere and she hates that the one she read had so much stuff skipped over

And it honestly took me a minute before I realized that she wasn't aware Goldman's frame story was part of the fiction

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Oh man this has been out for a month? Gotta get on that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    A friend of mine read the book of Princess Bride recently, after having been a fan of the movie for years, and afterwards complained to me that she just couldn't find the non-abridged version anywhere and she hates that the one she read had so much stuff skipped over

And it honestly took me a minute before I realized that she wasn't aware Goldman's frame story was part of the fiction

I had a friend tell me about the book before I saw the movie and he told me it was very different. I only watched Princess Bride for the first time about 3 years ago so I don't have the same fondness/nostalgia for it that most people do (though some of the scenes are just fantastic, and I do love Cary Elwes to bits). I mean, I was all over Willow, Labyrinth, Storyteller, Dark Crystal and all that good stuff, just never saw Princess Bride.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Spiced Ham wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I had a friend tell me about the book before I saw the movie and he told me it was very different. I only watched Princess Bride for the first time about 3 years ago so I don't have the same fondness/nostalgia for it that most people do (though some of the scenes are just fantastic, and I do love Cary Elwes to bits). I mean, I was all over Willow, Labyrinth, Storyteller, Dark Crystal and all that good stuff, just never saw Princess Bride.

Yeah, it's really different. All those chapters about the history of Florin, and the ancestry of Prince Humperdink. And don't even get me started on Morgenstern's use of parentheses.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I love The Princess Bride, I must reread it.

Also, almost finished with The Lies of Locke Lamora, which I've had for ages. I've been lazy about reading lately.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I tried to read the princess bride when I was 17 or 18

I thought it was really insufferable and unselfaware in a way the movie wasn't

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    You should probably try to read it again, because it's excellent and basically the movie but with more jokes and a funny framing device.

If not, well...

I say you are a coward and you are; I think you hunt only to reassure yourself that you are not what you are: the weakest thing to ever walk the Earth. He will come for me and then we will be gone, and you will be helpless for all your hunting, because Westley and I are joined by the bond of love and you cannot track that, not with a thousand bloodhounds, and you cannot break it, not with a thousand swords.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    But for real I love how dumb Buttercup is in the book.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I dunno, man, I could break a lot of shit with a thousand swords

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    What if they were just little cocktail swords

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Do I get the cocktails that come with them? If so, my shit-breaking powers are basically limitless

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    No, just the cocks.

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    I started reading the Expanse series a couple weeks ago

it's pretty good

there ought to be more scifi adventures featuring elderly government bureaucrats as protagonists

• Options
    Okay I got S. by JJ Abrams and some other dude delivered today and holy shit, guys
    I'm going to have to put some pictures up of my unboxing of a book because dear Jesus this is nuts

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Here's the synopsis of S
    A young woman picks up a book left behind by a stranger. Inside it are his margin notes, which reveal a reader entranced by the story and by its mysterious author. She responds with notes of her own, leaving the book for the stranger, and so begins an unlikely conversation that plunges them both into the unknown.

The book: Ship of Theseus, the final novel by a prolific but enigmatic writer named V.M. Straka, in which a man with no past is shanghaied onto a strange ship with a monstrous crew and launched onto a disorienting and perilous journey.

The writer: Straka, the incendiary and secretive subject of one of the world’s greatest mysteries, a revolutionary about whom the world knows nothing apart from the words he wrote and the rumors that swirl around him.

The readers: Jennifer and Eric, a college senior and a disgraced grad student, both facing crucial decisions about who they are, who they might become, and how much they’re willing to trust another person with their passions, hurts, and fears.

Here are some photos I took
    This is the outer cover:
    vRMirWK.jpg?1

This sticker sealed the outer case:
    DBYXzQL.jpg?1
    zExcd25.jpg?1

The seal was already broken when the book arrived; don't know if that's intentional
    dGDXpVS.jpg?1

Actual cover of the book
    2ZmyqA5.jpg?1
    zBpOZPa.jpg?1

g4C1PHp.jpg?1
    NCDeuWy.jpg?1
    UJiBi0w.jpg?1

The entire book looks like this
    keKjcbf.jpg?1

It's also jammed with old photos, letters, journal pages, postcards, shit like that
    I want to dump them all out in a big pile but I figure I should read them as I get to them

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Fffuck

GG I picked that up at the store over the weekend and put it down because I find Abrams' other stuff to be hit or miss and I've never had a good experience with a book written by someone famous for not-books

You are making me seriously regret the shit out of that decision

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm not sure how much is Abrams and how much is this Dorst guy
    I'll post my impressions in here

• Options
    @Lost Salient okay it says right here on the back cover that it was "conceived" by Abrams but actually written by Doug Dorst who at least seems to be a novelist by trade

• Options
    That book looks really cool. I want that book.

• Options
    God above, this is hard to read

• Options
    There's apparently a Kindle version.

I can't imagine how they made that readable.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    that strikes me as very much a stunt novel

• Options
    It looks purty though. And isn't that what really matters?

• Options
    That looks really interesting, quite tempted to pick it up now.

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Spoilers

someone vandalized GG's book

• Options
    I've got a copy of Plato's Republic from school covered in old notes from previous students, it always felt like I was carrying around a piece of history with that book.

PSN- AHermano
This discussion has been closed.