As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Republic of Thieves is out?! also other book talk

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I remember the first time IJ had a footnote within a footnote

I believe my reaction was something akin to, "Oh, game on, motherfucker"

mine was one of those sounds that starts as a sigh and then turns into a groan of medium-sized rage

• Options
    Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Princess Registered User regular
    Started reading Don Quixote - it's one of those classics I must read to be considered hyper-literate, I suppose (and none of my schooling ever covered it, oddly).

God damn is this a slog

Like, I was expecting jaunty, Baron Munchausen-esque frivolity... but it's really just soul-crushing.

Also, like 2/3rds of the way through and it's mostly stories within stories

Four chapters to tell a tale at an inn (or in a field, or on a mountain side) that adds nothing to the narrative nor the meta-narrative?

No thank you, sir.

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    I highly recommend the Temeraire series of novels by Naomi Novik (at least the first three because that's all I've got so far so if they suck later I'm sorry).

It's a series about the Napoleonic Wars with dragons written in a style similar to Patrick O'Brian

So far they're super awesome!

This is a few pages back, but thanks for posting this because I hadn't even realised that Blood of Tyrants came out something like 3 months ago.

No idea how I missed that.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    smof wrote: »
    To be fair I find most books hard these days.

My white whale is probably Crime and Punishment. I don't know if I'll ever go back and finish it.

This translation is not only really well done, but very pleasant to read. I found it completely worth getting a second copy since i was not getting through the other translation I had.
    Pevear translation

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Huh. I hadn't even considered that there would be other translations and I might find one I like better.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    My Infinite Jest experience has been like so:

First hundred pages were easy as heck. I didn't know what was going on, but I've read plenty of books like that before, and I resolved to just roll with it and keep going. It's very readable writing, all told.

After that I started to figure stuff out, and that slowed me down a bit, but I was still enjoying it. I just had to keep flipping back to certain endnotes.

Somewhere around three hundred in I got confused and really slowed down, which prevented me from reading more than a couple pages a night, which in turn meant my shitty memory started to decay, which made me more confused.

I got sick of moving so slowly and decided to fucking kill this book a week or so ago, and have spent several days when I read a hundred pages (plus or minus a chapter of endnotes) in one sitting. It's really thrilling and exciting to read most of the time now.

I'm at somewhere around 680 now. I'm considering going down to the café to work on it hardcore for a bit today.

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    I picked up Best Served Cold and No More Heroes at Half-Price about two weeks ago, when I told a buddy I was reading them he rushed over and gave me the First Law Trilogy and told me to read those first. I had made some progress into Best Served Cold already but put it down and followed his advice.
    Now I'm halfway through Before They Are Hanged and I can't stop.

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Finally finished The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Finished up The Ocean at the End of the Lane and have just started The Sound and the Fury. I knew nothing about the book previously and tried to start it last night just before bedtime. That was a mistake, apparently you need to be on your game for that one.

It's very interesting so far, trying to piece together the narrative and understand things through the protagonists eyes. I'm still having a lot of trouble piecing together who is who, however.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Finished with Infinite Jest.

Thoughts:
    I had a pretty good handle on what was happening and what I thought would happen, but I wasn't ready for that ending at all.

As I realized I was coming up on the end and Gately was getting injected with Sunshine I almost thought it'd cheap out into some "it was all a drug hallucination" thing.

Thinking about it a bit more I guess the book just decided to skip the actual part where it ties the stories together and leaves the happenings at the end of YDAU and most of Year of Glad unsaid.

Not gonna say I liked the ending, but it's impressive how everything's just left at a point where I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what happens in that time until the first chapter. I've got a shit memory and I don't spend a ton of time analyzing what I read, so I've probably missed a ton of stuff.

Might go back and reread it some day. Might not.

Flarne on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »
    I picked up Best Served Cold and No More Heroes at Half-Price about two weeks ago, when I told a buddy I was reading them he rushed over and gave me the First Law Trilogy and told me to read those first. I had made some progress into Best Served Cold already but put it down and followed his advice.

You enjoying it?

I am about a third of the way into The Last Argument and I haven't really enjoyed it since nearly the end of the first book. But I keep going because..... uh.... I think someone told me it gets crazy toward the end, maybe?

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    alright motherfuckers

it's time

it's time for Infinite Jest

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I've started Pack Only What You Can Carry and I think I'll start in on The Chateau for my fiction

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular

You enjoying it?

I am about a third of the way into The Last Argument and I haven't really enjoyed it since nearly the end of the first book. But I keep going because..... uh.... I think someone told me it gets crazy toward the end, maybe?

The series is way overlong especially in hindsight, the middle section is a complete drag. I barely even remember anything about the 2nd book.

But if you've sunk this much time into it you should see it to the end because the end is kind of like the whole point of those books.

Which is part of my problem with the series because it's basically just narrative trickery. It's a kind of trickery that I enjoy and the intent of what he's doing is really interesting but it would have been way better as one, or maybe 2 books.

I've heard the rest of his stuff he's written since is much better.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Anybody read Dissident Gardens?

I almost bought it yesterday

that is really the closest I've come to a book aside from Maddie on Things in like a month and a half, which kind of saddens me to realize

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I haven't read it.

That said get ye to a book store and make some bad decisions. My wishlist is epic and I bought three books this weekend, and like four others over the last month.

Maybe more...

I have a problem.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote: »

You enjoying it?

The series is way overlong especially in hindsight, the middle section is a complete drag. I barely even remember anything about the 2nd book.

But if you've sunk this much time into it you should see it to the end because the end is kind of like the whole point of those books.

Which is part of my problem with the series because it's basically just narrative trickery. It's a kind of trickery that I enjoy and the intent of what he's doing is really interesting but it would have been way better as one, or maybe 2 books.

Yeah this is what I've heard (actually it might have been you that said it). I only just got around to starting book 3 after finishing the other 2 ages ago, and I probably wouldn't have bothered at all if I hadn't heard this kind of thing from several people. It's weird to have a book series I feel this way about which everyone I've spoken to seems to have a pretty unanimously high opinion of. My tastes arent usually controversial.

Not that I'm trying to slate the books, they're not that bad, just don't tick many of the right boxes for me and do a few things that annoy me. It's a shame because I loved most of the first book. Hopefully I'll enjoy the end of the third one too. If I do that will probably be enough to make me give some of his other stuff a try.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I haven't read it.

That said get ye to a book store and make some bad decisions. My wishlist is epic and I bought three books this weekend, and like four others over the last month.

Maybe more...

I have a problem.

I held it in my hands, said "I want to get this" out loud, coldly noted the 20% discount and placed it back on the shelf

I have this sort of weird frugality that is specific to bookstores

I don't know what the deal is! Need to cut loose up in

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    My

God

Are you made of iron? I mean I picked up six or seven books but only bought two and I was so proud

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    You people need to get yourselves to a library pronto, all books are free free free

• Options
    It's not the saaaaame

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    My library had a huge book sale last week, best of both worlds!

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I started reading The Hangman's Daughter because I heard a lot of good buzz about it but man, this is pretty dry

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I haven't read it.

Maybe more...

I have a problem.

I held it in my hands, said "I want to get this" out loud, coldly noted the 20% discount and placed it back on the shelf

I have this sort of weird frugality that is specific to bookstores

I don't know what the deal is! Need to cut loose up in

Start like hitting up used bookstores?

Or just buy some fuckin' thrift store books. In between the paperback romance novels you can find some real gems.

I mean also in the paperback romance novels. Go with a friend! Have a race to who can find the first sex scene!

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    alright motherfuckers

it's time

it's time for Infinite Jest

I'm starting this tomorrow!!!!!

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular

You enjoying it?

I am enjoying it, yes. Like I said I started reading Best Served Cold and I told my gf "I love these characters." After two pages. She looked at me like I was a crazy person but she quickly read the same and whole-heartedly agreed. When I moved to the First Law trilogy I started noticing names and places that were mentioned in Best Served Cold so I've been eager to find out how things fit together.

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Huh. I hadn't even considered that there would be other translations and I might find one I like better.

My first experience with that whole new idea was Beowulf. I had thought I just really disliked Beowulf. Nope. Turned out I just hated the awful half-prose translation in the Norton text. I actually love Beowulf in a good translation. haha

• Options
    Translations are so terribly important

I'm constantly finding myself annoyed by the lack of information when I'm trying to read something originally in a foreign language about what translator to trust

I spend a lot of time reading translator's notes in bookstores

• Options
    See also- annotations

I tried to read an unannotated translation of The Divine Comedy a few years back; ended up spending more time on Wikipedia than on the book

Gave up because of that, and I'm gonna buy a good one eventually I guess

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I first realised that translators were a big deal when I was reading Haruki Murakami. Stumbled across one that felt really off (or, well, more off than usual for Murakami) and it wasn't til I finished it that I realised it had been translated by someone else. It makes me want to check out some other stuff I've read interpreted by different people, like Kafka's work.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    My

God

Are you made of iron? I mean I picked up six or seven books but only bought two and I was so proud

failure to treat myself is my superpower

and yeah, straightzi, the last couple I bought were super cheapos from a used book store, actually. But I do so love new books! With their new covers and

uh, plots

new... copyrights

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    New cover art! I have a friend that collected different editions of pride and prejudice, and it is such a baller collection.

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular

I am enjoying it, yes. Like I said I started reading Best Served Cold and I told my gf "I love these characters." After two pages. She looked at me like I was a crazy person but she quickly read the same and whole-heartedly agreed. When I moved to the First Law trilogy I started noticing names and places that were mentioned in Best Served Cold so I've been eager to find out how things fit together.

Spoilers for First Law
    About halfway through The Blade Itself, I went to the bookstore and bought the next two. But I feel my reaction after reading Before They Are Hanged would've been MASSIVELY different if I didn't have LAOK cued and ready at the time. Had I had to wait months to get the next section of the story, the entire middle finger skyward to the notion of "The Epic Journey Of Protagonists Finding Object X" would've likely pissed me off. Instead, I just went " . . . damn . . . " and rolled straight into part three.

I like the entire series as a meditation on The Trilogy (with Revenge, War, and the Western in the next few books) but yeah, since the entire journey ends up with a near-reset on character development - specifically because what they look for the entire book isn't there - BTAH is mainly treading water. Well, not counting Glotka. Unfortunately, key pieces of info and characters that flow into other books are introduced (the brothers backstory, the Old Empire backstory, intro to Mauthis, intro to Cosca, Tolomei's foreshadowing, etc) so it's kind of necessary if you're going the whole hog.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I love The First Law and it's subsequent follow-ups. Love em to pieces.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Don't think I was in the right headspace for the finale when I tackled it and Best Served Cold, or at least was expecting them to be something they weren't. I think I have Before they are Hanged lying around the house somewhere, picked it up but never got around to it.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm not going to lie, I was super pissed about the end of The Last Argument of Kings. Hated the hell out of it.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Help me, SE++, you're my only hope!

For about the past year, I've really gotten hooked on Urban Fantasy. I started with The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher, then read The Druid Chronicles series by Kevin Hearne. Now I'm finishing up The Hollows series by Kim Harrison.

I didn't care for the Anita Blake series Laurelle K. Hamilton's works, too much focus on sex and not enough on the sluething/adventuring and the magic aspects. I made it to the 10th book or so, but it was a slog after the first few. I also didn't like The Secret Histories by Simon R. Greene, as it was too much magical adventure and not enough urban/sluething.

Any recommendations for me in this genre? Is Patricia Briggs any good?

• Options
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    You could try the Rivers of London series, young police officer/wizard solves magic based crimes in some city I can't remember the name of.

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I just ordered S.
    JJ Abrams' new weirdo mystery box of a novel

I've been wanting something in that weird Raw Shark Texts kind of vein so hopefully this will scratch that itch

Grey Ghost on
This discussion has been closed.