As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Republic of Thieves is out?! also other book talk

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    i would like guy gavriel kay a lot better if he wrote straight historical fiction instead of thinly disguised pastiches

you know, like umberto eco does. but with less of a semiotics boner, presumably

i read the island of the day before recently, it's really good and perhaps more accessible than the name of the rose

See the semiotics thing is why I love Eco so much, I didn't even know it was a thing until I started reading him but I am a huuuuuuuge nerd about it now

Though he definitely ranges from the super subtle to the BEATING YOU OVER THE HEAD WITH SYMBOLISM

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Name Of The Rose works as a straight up good book even if you ignore all that fancy stuff.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    50 Incredibly Tough Books for Extreme Readers

The shortlist, for those interested but lazy:
    Nightwood, Djuna Barnes
    Blood Meridian, Cormac McCarthy
    Moby-Dick, Herman Melville
    Infinite Jest, David Foster Wallace
    J R, William Gaddis
    Finnegans Wake, James Joyce
    The Sound and the Fury, William Faulkner
    Bad Behavior, Mary Gaitskill
    In Search of Lost Time, Marcel Proust
    Alphabetical Africa, Walter Abish
    Geek Love, Katherine Dunn
    Naked Lunch, William S. Burroughs
    The Faerie Queene, Edmund Spenser
    Trainspotting, Irvine Welsh
    Pet Sematary, Stephen King
    Coin Locker Babies, Ryu Murakami
    Battle Royale, Koushun Takami
    House of Leaves, Mark Z. Danielewski
    To The Lighthouse, Virginia Woolf
    The Painted Bird, Jerzy Kosinski
    Wittgenstein’s Mistress, David Markson
    Johnny Got His Gun, Dalton Trumbo
    Dhalgren, Samuel R. Delany
    The Making of Americans, Gertrude Stein
    The Silmarillion, J.R.R. Tolkien
    Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad
    Hopscotch, Julio Cortazar
    Out, Natsuo Kirino
    2666, Roberto Bolaño
    Tampa, Alissa Nutting
    War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy
    The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman, Laurence Sterne
    Gravity’s Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon
    The Canterbury Tales, Geoffrey Chaucer
    Underworld, Don DeLillo
    Almanac of the Dead, Leslie Marmon Silko
    Cosmos, Witold Gombrowicz
    The Conservationist, Nadine Gordimer
    Sophie’s Choice, William Styron
    Clarissa, Or the History of a Young Lady, Samuel Richardson
    The Unfortunates, B.S. Johnson
    The Collected Stories of Lydia Davis, Lydia Davis
    The Tunnel, William Gass
    The Year of Magical Thinking, Joan Didion
    The Demon, Hubert Selby Jr.
    The Royal Family, William T. Vollmann
    Divine Comedy, Dante Alighieri
    A Tale of a Tub, Jonathan Swift
    The Castle, Franz Kafka
    The Gulag Archipelago, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Pet Semetary? really?

I love Stephen King but really?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    That was kind of how I felt, but it's only one of two books of his that I've ever read, so my metric is skewed.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i dont think i've read any of those to completion and now i feel like an ass

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Tough as in hard to read?

Trainspotting ain't so bad.

• Options
    The article actually discusses why each book is on the list; Pet Semetary is for being gruesome and scary. Trainspotting is for its lack of linear narrative and its content.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I am too lazy to click links, sorry.

• Options
    Maybe I am desensitized to murderous zombie babies but if you want a Stephen King book that is actually really hard to read because it is gruesome and terrifying then I think Gerald's Game is what you are looking for.*

*disclaimer: if you read Gerald's Game don't blame me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Wasp Factory should be on that list.

And Filth for Irvine Welsh instead of Trainspotting.

(imho)

• Options
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons should be on that list

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah why put Pet Sematary on there for being gruesome and scary instead of like, I dunno, Haunted

The only one there I've read to completion is Heart of Darkness, which is a fuckin' breeze, and I'm most of the way through Infinite Jest right now, which isn't really that bad, all told

• Options
    I have also read Heart of Darkness but I'm not sure I would describe it as a breeze.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Also the writer there totally does not explain why Infinite Jest is a tough read, he just calls it obvious

There are a bunch of things that could put it on this list, I'll admit that, but I'm really curious as to why this particular person put it as so difficult

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    Republic of Thieves big ol' fuckin spoilers about Locke
    I always thought Locke was going to be connected to the Bondsmagi from birth somehow, but jesus god almighty he's reincarnated

I'm still not sold on this being true
    the whole thing where patience is like "here's my prophecy, your punishment is that you'll never know if it's true"

i just imagine locke being like "i'm just going to assume it's not then, get fucked", flipping her off and walking out

• Options
    Okay I read through that whole list and I am mostly just angry about it now

• Options
    I think

That is exceptionally silly

It's not like it's a top list or something, it's just fifty books that are difficult reads for a number of reasons

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    Republic of Thieves big ol' fuckin spoilers about Locke
    I always thought Locke was going to be connected to the Bondsmagi from birth somehow, but jesus god almighty he's reincarnated

I'm still not sold on this being true
    the whole thing where patience is like "here's my prophecy, your punishment is that you'll never know if it's true"

i just imagine locke being like "i'm just going to assume it's not then, get fucked", flipping her off and walking out

One time back in the day-day, Chains warned Locke pretty sternly that when you talk to Bondsmagi, 'ain't start shit, won't be shit.'

"Nice prophecy, asshole."

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Sorry, that was not very friendly of me

I have been in something of A Mood today

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

Antimatter wrote: »

I love this bit. It's so evocative.

Also, Battle Royale and Heart of Darkness are not particularly difficult reads.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    The list is a really weird combination of books that deal with difficult subjects and books that are difficult to parse, which is annoying

But more importantly, the person who wrote it is barely above the level of emoticons with some of her descriptions, and there are a number of things there that I would like to be discussed further in order to understand why she considered things so "difficult"

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i'm amused by the implication that there is such a thing as an extreme reader, as if the ability to enjoy blood meridian is on par with the ability to pull a freight train by your testicles

• Options
    Man next time I am just not sharing shit

Good lord

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Oof, GRRM is really upping the "put characters through horrible shit" mode in ADWD.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »

I love this bit. It's so evocative.

Also, Battle Royale and Heart of Darkness are not particularly difficult reads.

disagreeing about heart of darkness, which is the only one of them i started

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I... I've read about half of those books or so.

And honestly, I think a lot of that list overestimates how difficult some of them (at least of the ones I've read) are. A lot of them are going to be way easier to read for people who are actually interested in the genre or theme or whatever.

So sure, if someone sat down and just read all 50 books in a row they'd find some of them really difficult to read, and others (the ones they are really interested in) pretty easy. It's all kinda subjective.

• Options
    i have read the terror, drood, and the lord of the rings as a single volume, though

those were kinda slogs at parts

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Just finished Republic of Thieves
    I'm really glad this book wasn't full of Locke getting the shit tortured out of him by Bondsmagi

Sabetha, Jean, and the Sanzas were all-stars

Holy fucking shit the Falconer is a magic T1000

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    50 Incredibly Tough Books for Extreme Readers

The shortlist, for those interested but lazy:
    Nightwood, Djuna Barnes
    Blood Meridian, Cormac McCarthy
    Moby-Dick, Herman Melville
    Infinite Jest, David Foster Wallace
    J R, William Gaddis
    Finnegans Wake, James Joyce
    The Sound and the Fury, William Faulkner
    Bad Behavior, Mary Gaitskill
    In Search of Lost Time, Marcel Proust
    Alphabetical Africa, Walter Abish
    Geek Love, Katherine Dunn
    Naked Lunch, William S. Burroughs
    The Faerie Queene, Edmund Spenser
    Trainspotting, Irvine Welsh
    Pet Sematary, Stephen King
    Coin Locker Babies, Ryu Murakami
    Battle Royale, Koushun Takami
    House of Leaves, Mark Z. Danielewski
    To The Lighthouse, Virginia Woolf
    The Painted Bird, Jerzy Kosinski
    Wittgenstein’s Mistress, David Markson
    Johnny Got His Gun, Dalton Trumbo
    Dhalgren, Samuel R. Delany
    The Making of Americans, Gertrude Stein
    The Silmarillion, J.R.R. Tolkien
    Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad
    Hopscotch, Julio Cortazar
    Out, Natsuo Kirino
    2666, Roberto Bolaño
    Tampa, Alissa Nutting
    War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy
    The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman, Laurence Sterne
    Gravity’s Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon
    The Canterbury Tales, Geoffrey Chaucer
    Underworld, Don DeLillo
    Almanac of the Dead, Leslie Marmon Silko
    Cosmos, Witold Gombrowicz
    The Conservationist, Nadine Gordimer
    Sophie’s Choice, William Styron
    Clarissa, Or the History of a Young Lady, Samuel Richardson
    The Unfortunates, B.S. Johnson
    The Collected Stories of Lydia Davis, Lydia Davis
    The Tunnel, William Gass
    The Year of Magical Thinking, Joan Didion
    The Demon, Hubert Selby Jr.
    The Royal Family, William T. Vollmann
    Divine Comedy, Dante Alighieri
    A Tale of a Tub, Jonathan Swift
    The Castle, Franz Kafka
    The Gulag Archipelago, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

I have read Naked Lunch and Clarissa

Naked Lunch was just crazy on the balance

but Clarissa was my Vietnam

which, let's be real, was about the best preparation I could have given myself for attempting to read Infinite Jest (which I'm chipping away at right now)

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Yes Shorty yesssssss

Everyone read Infinite Jest, it is the infinite best

• Options
    I finished up The City and the City a couple of days ago. Dug it a lot. The middle sagged somewhat, but I thought it had some really interesting things to say about taboos/social norms. And I really admired how it handled its fantastic conceit, writing it like Chandler wrote LA. Glitzy and impressive on the surface, but digging makes it less fantastic, not more. That's something I've not seen before, I don't think.

A book I'll be chewing over for a while, certainly.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    knitdan on
  • Options
    Yes Shorty yesssssss

Everyone read Infinite Jest, it is the infinite best

I'm only about 200 pages in

to say that I like it would not be entirely accurate

it is incredibly frustrating

but I can't shake the feeling that it is building to something brilliant

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I'm coming up on the end of Infinite Jest. The last half feels like it was a lot easier to read than the first.

• Options
    Flarne wrote: »
    I'm coming up on the end of Infinite Jest. The last half feels like it was a lot easier to read than the first.

That's because by that point you've trained your brain how to read it.

• Options
    I remember the first time IJ had a footnote within a footnote

I believe my reaction was something akin to, "Oh, game on, motherfucker"

• Options
    Or the ones early on that just said, "see note 300 supra". And you had to decide whether or not to read ahead in the footnotes.

Reading Infinite Jest on Kindle was amazing. The footnotes were done so well, and I've never seen them implemented that well since.

Probably because I don't read a whole lot of footnote heavy books.

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Or the ones early on that just said, "see note 300 supra". And you had to decide whether or not to read ahead in the footnotes.

Reading Infinite Jest on Kindle was amazing. The footnotes were done so well, and I've never seen them implemented that well since.

Probably because I don't read a whole lot of footnote heavy books.

my patience for this kind of literary silly buggers is basically nil after having read pale fire

I'll read the footnotes as they're given, that's bad enough

• Options
    To be fair I find most books hard these days.

My white whale is probably Crime and Punishment. I don't know if I'll ever go back and finish it.

This discussion has been closed.