Options

The [Renting] Thread

• Options
    But you can call meBut you can call me Grand Divina Angela Registered User regular
    If I could awesome my own posts I would!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    That's awesome! So awesome I had to actually type it out rather than just hit the awesome button. I am very relieved for you and your family.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I'm having to make some tough decisions at the moment. I live near London right now, and am looking to buy a house. If I wanted to buy in London, I'd have to save up for probably another two years just to buy a shithole or a flat. If I moved to an idyllic village in the north, I could buy a really bomb place with three bedrooms and a view of the valley and essentially pay cash, but I'd be running the risk of moving that far and really fucking hating it. It's super sleepy up that way.

Try to rent an apartment for a few months up there and see how it plays out?

Not sure how the UK compares to the states, but typically most people live 30-40 minutes away from the major cities or where they work because the housing is just too expensive to live in the cities. Aside from DC/NYC, the mass transit blows, so it doesn't make much sense to live in the city, either, because you still need a car.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I WUVS OUR NEW COUCH AAAAHHHHHHH

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    I've gotta move out in the next couple of months due to upcoming renovations.
    Luckily there is another apartment coming up for rent on the same floor of my block! Gonna go see it Wednesday.

Much nicer finishes inside, a carspace, 2nd balcony at the cost of some living room space (I might actually use it since it isn't off the bedroom). 50 More a week. I think I'll probably be able to sublet the carspace to someone else who wants it for that difference though.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Fuck renovating your place, just move.

Also, @Vivixenne I also got a new couch. Hi5 for us, new couches are the best

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Our couch is very squishy which starts to hurt my back if have a very lazy day of lounging around for long periods of time. I've been trying to find a comfortable way to set myself up when I'm trying to get some writing done on my laptop.

At the moment I just need to get better at realizing how long I've been in one position and take a break every now and then.

• Options
    I gotta admin, that is one sweet ass couch. Why even have a bed anymore?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    That couch is more comfortable than our BED. And the ottoman (the flat block closest to the camera in the photo Blake posted) can slide all the way into the corner of the couch and then DAYBED!

• Options
    Trying to scrounge up enough change to get a recliner soon. Our couch is impractical for 2+ people.

I really need a cat safe recliner though because they tore the arms of our couch to shit.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    clip your cats claws!

twice a month. saves your carpet and your furniture

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    clip your cats claws!

twice a month. saves your carpet and your furniture

Corralling 4 cats is impossible.

I'll probably end up getting like a high leg recliner with wooden arms instead.

I hate cats, anyone want to adopt 2 of them?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Or just teach your cats not to claw your furniture and buy them a scratching post.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    A decent couch is so good to have. Ours isn't as big or cool as Viv and Blakes, but it is super comfy and looks nice and the leather smells good.

• Options
    i have a 9 piece power reclining microfiber sectional

i would categorize it as "nice"

• Options
    Or just teach your cats not to claw your furniture and buy them a scratching post.

You can't "teach" cats.

We have at least 10 scratching posts.

We have used citrus, tinfoil, repellent spray, tape, putting the posts around the arms of the couch, you name it.

Their solution was "let's scratch another part of the couch."

If I could get away with drowning them, I'd do it right now.

• Options
    you just have bad cats

you can't train cats but if you can get one under a year old in an isolated situation, you can influence their habit development and make them react to certain stimuli

my cat knows that when I make a hissing sound that means to buzz off from whatever she is doing. works 95% of the time, I don't have to move a muscle

worst thing she does is claw up carpet, so that's why I clip her claws... and she doesn't put up a fight at all to it

• Options
    You can totally teach cats. But I'm not going to argue about it.

• Options
    All but one of our cats was an adult cat when we got them, we rescued them so to speak from her shitty extended family.

The youngest we got as a kitten and is awesome and well behaved. Also the best lap cat ever.

But they ain't no dog.

• Options
    my upstairs toilet's drain hole thing is too small for a conventional toiler auger, so now i have to get a plumber or buy something more expensive to fix a basic clog

worst toilet ever

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    We have 2 cats - one's about 5 and the other's around a year and a bit.

The older one is great. I can hold her on my lap and clip her nails in about 3-5 minutes.

The younger one likes to nip at my hand when I clip her nails, and the process takes a good 15-20 minutes.

But they're both easier than the cat who passed last year. He was a good 15-18 pounds and did NOT enjoy having his nails trimmed.

It was a bad experience all around.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Also, our toilet paper holder on the main floor is coming out of the wall.

However that is thus far the only problem we're having. There was a massive windstorm a week or so ago and it tore a ton of shingles off of other houses in the area. Not us, though!

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    based on what I have seen in Blake's family

yes you can teach cats, especially if you have them from when they are kittens

you can also think you are teaching cats but failing miserably because you are probably very inconsistent without ever realising it so the cats just do what they want anyway

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    cats are utterly worthless, filthy creatures without a soul or justifiable purpose on earth.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    that seems like a very, very strong reaction to cats

• Options
    I really, really don't like cats.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I'll have all the cats.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Liiya, I demand that you return my cat at once.

• Options
    I'm afraid I can't do that, Sticks. Its call Mr Paws now. He's moved on, its time you did too.

• Options
    (Thats really sinister! You can have him.)

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    if I've learned anything from show-of-the-century My Cat From Hell's host Jackson Galaxy, it's that the secret to training a cat is to spay/neuter it.

Seriously, every episode is "Our cat is fucked up!"
    "I'm the cat whiz, Jackson Spaceship! Look at my shitty beard and guitar case!"
    "Help our cat!"
    TWENTY MINUTES AND ONE TRIP TO THE VET LATER
    "Look at how calm your cat is now! I'm the cat training master!"

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    There is a cat that hangs by our house sometimes with his brothers.

I have named him Wesley Snipes the Cat.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    My cat hates being held, so all I had to do to teach her that the dining table was a no-cat zone was pick her up and move her every time I caught her there. Same with the counters.

Negotiations are still under way for the top of the fridge.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    I'm afraid I can't do that, Sticks. Its call Mr Paws now. He's moved on, its time you did too.

I imagine if you actually did take my cat, I would get it back a few days later with an apology note and small floral arrangement tucked into the back of its collar.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    If I ever got a cat.

It would not wear a collar.

It would wear bow ties.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Cats are the best!

I sympathize with your nice couch issues, though. We want to get a nice couch, but are hesitant. Our guys don't intentionally scratch except on their post, but when they jump up on the couch they tend to dig in for balance. Wouldn't be so good for leather furniture!

• Options
    Yeah, I'm looking for a recliner with wood trim now. Digging claws into the seating surface isn't so bad because they're not purposefully tearing into it for their claws. I gave up on claw trimming a while ago because it was not worth chasing cats around the house.

And they immediately know what I'm trying to do before I even do it. Normally the one cat will follow me into the bathroom when I shower. Nope, not the other day. She knew she was getting a bath somehow.

I wish they were dogs.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Dogs are terrible, Bowen.

• Options
    cats spend all day walking around in a box of their own shit and piss and then think it's cool to jump on tables and counters.

"Here stupid human, have some of my waste-soaked litter. Have it right here where you handle your food. Eat my piss you stupid ape."

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Sounds more like you wish that you weren't the dumbest guy in the house.

This discussion has been closed.