Options

The [Renting] Thread

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Thats beautiful.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    My situation is a little more narrow. My job hired me because i live in the school district

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My problem is we rent from my roommate/best friend's aunt. She doesn't fix much. Dishwasher, screens on the back porch, spider issue, broken side door, crap pipes. All of these were issues before we moved in. The lady and I are looking into places to move in the spring, but are having little luck so far.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Oh and I guess a big one, the furnace went out yesterday. Her son is here fixing it now, but hes been at it for about 4 hours and has told us he doesn't know much about heaters and AC units, but his mom told him to do it so hes trying.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    This sounds like the beginning of one of those 'they died tragically, preventabley tragically' kind of tv shows

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Closer to buying the coop next door.
    Apparently we need a year's mortgage payments and a year's maintenance in order to get the place. In cash. In the bank.
    Yeah, scraping up a downpayment in a month and that much cash is hard. I think we managed it, but

We put in an offer last week, and got a counter-offer. Now to negotiate down a bit. I just hope the appraisal goes OK. They are asking way more than it's worth, and we're willing to go a bit higher than we should due to its location and the ability to turn our 1 bedroom into a 3 bedroom in NYC. Just hope we can actually get a mortgage that covers the amount. If the appraisal comes in as low as we're afraid of, then the lady who owns the place may take it off the market for a year.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    That's a gorgeous place, Stale.

We're painting and rearranging. Steam cleaned the carpets this morning. I really want to replace it with laminate, but that will be down the road.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Stale that place is so early 80s! I love it!

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    It really is. I'm going to need to do some serious work on the kitchen.

But I'm digging it.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    It really is. I'm going to need to do some serious work on the kitchen.

But I'm digging it.

With all that open space, you need one of these:

http://can-am.brp.com/off-road/atv/outlander-x-mr/outlander-1000-x-mr.html

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    When's the party @stale?

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    That's an awfully white house. Love the conservatory and roof terrace though.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    My apartment complex has an on-property laundry room, which is great. Or at least, it was great. About three weeks ago we had super low temperatures and a pipe in there froze and burst. They still haven't finished getting all that junk straightened out.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Oh shit, I never posted images of our house in here.

I'll rectify that this weekend.

But man. MAN, I love having a house. I love living in a property that's my own so when I play Dragon's Dogma at 3AM with my speakers loud no one complains.

I love having a garage so my car isn't constantly covered in bird shit.

I love having a deck so I can have a BBQ that's worth more than 100$ because no one's going to steal it.

I love everything about having a house. Especially blinds. God, did I miss blinds.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Our furnace wasn't working but the landlord got a guy out to look at it and hey, the motor was dead! But we got that replaced and right now I'm kind of glad I don't own the place because that thing probably wasn't free.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Woo, getting the coop next door. 1 bedroom place in nyc,260k. This is obscene

MulysaSempronius on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    What is a coop?

I assume you don't mean, like, a chicken coop.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    We got the couch.

Vivienne is pleased.

9C0E0749-7A9F-41DA-A151-CF1E06D54C31_zps4hvq27m3.jpg

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Jealous of that couch.

sig.gif
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    How squishy is it?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    not super.

but that's the way I like them,

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Man I have really let the weeds get out of control at my house. I have begun poisoning/pulling/hacking them up. My girly arms are not suited for this manual labour.

• Options
    What is a coop?

I assume you don't mean, like, a chicken coop.
    A co-op. I tend to phone post, and the'-' is hard to do. Http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Housing_cooperative
    Big in nyc. I really don't understand the nuances, but basically you own shares in the building and everyone theoretically has a say in how the place is run. It has a board composed of residents that make decisions.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I'm going to buy a place this year. I'm thinking an apartment out Ashfield way. Should be able to get a decent 2-bedder there, it's on the train line and is still easy enough to get to my customers who aren't in the city.

At least, that's the plan.

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    You start with a sidewalk. And then hmm still got some time left, let's do the stairs. Drive way. Ooh siding and gutters and moss on the foundation and hey where'd the weekend go.

I may have been spoiled by the big industrial grade pressure washers used in truck dealerships to wash truck chassis, but a whole weekend?

It sounds like you need a little more power...

*tim allen grunt*

Well you do some, have a beer, do some more, play with the dog, do some more, have a beer, get an urge to look for that thing you can't remember where you put in the garage, start prepping the mower but then remember the pressure washer is still hooked up, work on that some more, realize this whole time you haven't had music playing, oh yeah and tacos you need tacos

I miss these days so much

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    All yall with your house pictures are making me so jealous. I can't wait to be a real adult

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm having to make some tough decisions at the moment. I live near London right now, and am looking to buy a house. If I wanted to buy in London, I'd have to save up for probably another two years just to buy a shithole or a flat. If I moved to an idyllic village in the north, I could buy a really bomb place with three bedrooms and a view of the valley and essentially pay cash, but I'd be running the risk of moving that far and really fucking hating it. It's super sleepy up that way.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    The roommates I'm subletting from are moving in the middle of the year, so I need to decide if I want to take over the lease or find a new place. This place is absurdly cheap and a pretty nice place, but the neighborhood isn't the best and if they leave they're taking 95% of the furniture so I'd have to re-buy everything anyway. Plus I dunno if I can take over the lease for the same price, if I were the landlord I'd use the opportunity to raise the price a bit because the neighborhood's gotten more expensive in the last few years.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    I get a statement in the mail saying how much I owe for rent since waste, water and gas are charged through my landlord

this month, it says I owe... $30

it looks like they forgot the actual rent part...? o_O

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I'm having to make some tough decisions at the moment. I live near London right now, and am looking to buy a house. If I wanted to buy in London, I'd have to save up for probably another two years just to buy a shithole or a flat. If I moved to an idyllic village in the north, I could buy a really bomb place with three bedrooms and a view of the valley and essentially pay cash, but I'd be running the risk of moving that far and really fucking hating it. It's super sleepy up that way.

Would a compromise of living in a city in the North work? Then you'd eliminate the sleepyness with less cost. Unless its a particular village you have in mind that you're in love with.

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Or you could consider renting in such a village for a short lease and see if you're okay with that kind of lifestyle.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    theSquid wrote: »
    Or you could consider renting in such a village for a short lease and see if you're okay with that kind of lifestyle.

Gotta say, this is a good idea.
    Downside is possibility of finding you don't like living in such a village, being stuck there for a short time until the lease runs out, and having to move again in a few months.
    Which is remarkably close to the situation I am in, now that I think about it.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »

Move to a nice seaside town with a lot of tourism, so there's still plenty to do, but real estate won't cost too much?

Or just move to Huddersfield...

• Options
    But you can call meBut you can call me Grand Divina Angela Registered User regular
    "Idyllic village" is a phrase you can actually apply to places in the UK. This is so outside of my experience I'm not sure how to describe how it makes me feel.

In other news, tomorrow we're meeting with my wife's dad to see if we can stay with him until emergency housing is available. He'll probably say no! But damned if I'm not going to pull the "responsibility to your grandchildren" heartstrings as hard as I can if that's what it takes to keep my family under a roof.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    As someone who's lived in London for the past 5 years, these are my thoughts:

It all depends on what you want out of where you're staying. If you can get by living in Bury St Edmunds, only needing the things every other town and major high street has, and then taking an hour and a half train trip when you wanted to visit London, I would say do that.

London is London. Anyone who's spent time there knows it's completely different from anywhere else but for those extras, you gotta make sacrifices (i.e. It's busy and prices suck) If you're looking to buy in London you've got to know that you'll want that pace of life in the long-term. For most, I think London gets tiring as they get older. Getting by in an OK place for above-average prices is fine for people who know they are getting the most from the city but eventually that shifts and the benefits of London no longer out-weigh the benefits of a better house in a quieter setting.

In essence, what I'm saying is that London is a great place to rent but as soon as I'm starting to settle down, raise kids etc... I'm on the first train to the Home Counties.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Really loving our solar panels. Our electric bill last month was only $11.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    We have something crawling up in the ceiling. And it's apparently indifferent to our noises now, as even thumping on the ceiling doesn't make it stop moving.

Probably suspects are grey squirrel, rat, raccoon, or possum. Landlord's son is going to come out tomorrow and crawl up there, bring a trap if need be. I think I should film this for possible Christmas Vacation-like scenarios.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    Atari SoulAtari Soul Registered User regular
    Depending where you are, like Southern California, some water pipes in the attic are NOT metal or PVC and the critters can chew them to get access to water.

A month after buying, we had a roof rat crawling in our attic and every day it would chew a new hole in the water pipes, causing a new leak we had to repair. We finally killed that bastard, but not after a thousand dollars worth of damage had been done

• Options
    But you can call meBut you can call me Grand Divina Angela Registered User regular
    WHAT'S UP PEOPLE

FATHER IN LAW GUY SAID WE CAN LIVE WITH HIM

YEAH!!

This discussion has been closed.