As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pokemon: The muscles that will make the future bright!

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited October 2013 in Social Entropy++
DO NOT SAVE IN THE BLUE AREAS IN LUMIOSE CITY. THERE IS A POTENTIALLY SAVE-BREAKING BUG.
zBnlIHn.jpg
5zWl0Yf.png?1HHYOy4T.png

IT'S FIGHTING-TYPE MANIA 2013 IN THE POKEMON THREAD...BROTHER.

ma20xrK.png

yESh4l9.jpg
Let's get right into the meat of this: the new generation. While Gen Five played things a bit more conservatively, Six is really mixing things up. Here's the blow-by-blow, and if you've missed a few generations since you last pokemon game, then just scroll past this and catch up on older changes first.
  • Full 3D Graphics: Yowza! The first pokemon to abandoned its cherish sprite tradition and go for fancy polygons and whatnot. No doubt the game will look pretty awesome with the 3D cranked up.
  • New Region: Kalos, a region based on France.
  • Enhanced Online: The bottom screen now serves as a hub for multiplayer. You can easily trade/battle with friends or strangers, and even help someone out in single-player battles via O-Powers. If you're feeling bold, you can try Wonder Trade, letting you send away a pokemon and get something totally random from someone else in the world.
  • New Type, Fairy: Designed to rein in dragons a bit, Fairy is so far super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting types. It is not very effective against Fire, Poison, and Steel. Fairy is weak to Poison and Steel while resisting Fighting, Bug, and Dark. They are immune to Dragon moves.
  • Other balance changes: Steel loses resistance to both Ghost and Dark, Ghosts are immune to switch-prevention effects like Shadow Tag, Electrics are completely immune to paralysis, and so forth.
  • Mega Evolutions: Certain pokemon can evolve even further. In reality this is more like different forms than legitimate evolutions, as they revert to their original species after the battle ends. Mega evolution requires a specific held item, and you have an option to active the mega evolution while in a battle. What happens depends on the pokemon. Some get new abilities, other get different stats, and some like Mega Ampharos even get a new type. Mega Pokemon are designed to be on par with legendaries (though it's worth noting that some legendaries wind up in Tiers well below Ubers) and you can have only one Mega Pokemon on your team.
  • Horde Encounters: Sometimes you fight a whole swarm of wild pokemon at once, typically pokemon you'd expect to operate in a herd mentality (a herd of Tauros and Miltank is the obvious example). Obviously this is be a bit more challenging since you pokemon has to endure several attacks at once.
  • You can ride pokemon, which I guess replaces the bike? No idea if this is limited to specific pokemon yet.
  • There will be an app called Pokemon Bank, which allows you to store pokemon on Nintendo's servers. It is the largest pokemon storage yet, allowing for 3,000 pokemon to be stored. The catch is that it's a paid service with an annual fee of five bucks, but there will be a month-long free demo when it launches.
  • HATS AND CLOTHES. You can buy different outfits for your player character. This is also the first Pokemon game to feature different skin color option for your character.

9xnycTA.png
  • Sky Battles: These are optional battles that, at least so far, are like normal battles except only certain pokemon can participate. In a nutshell, if the pokemon's battle model is floating/flying in the air, it can Sky Battle. Yes, this means a Farfetch'd cannot do a Sky Battle. Yes, this is incredibly silly.
  • Pokemon-Aime: Feed and play with your pokemon, which interacts with happiness. It looks like a combination of Pokemon and Nintendogs.
  • Super Training: Finally, at long last, proper EV training, complete with ways to track your progress for a particular pokemon. Play minigames to boost those values.
  • MORE POKEMANS: around 70 new critters, not counting the 20 or so known mega evolutions.

MKdGM70.png

Are you an old veteran of Red and Blue? Maybe you took a break after Platinum? Or perhaps the nostalgia bug has bitten you? It doesn't matter, because here is a very short history on each generation including the changes each brought to core gameplay and how "good" it is or isn't to revisit.

Note: Generation I and II are currently the only generations that cannot trade with other generations. So long as you have the equipment, it is entirely possible to trade pokemon from Generation III all the way to Generation VI.

Generation I
k0cW7ZQ.jpg
Hardware: Game Boy
Main Games: Red & Blue
Special Edition: Yellow
Comments: Sometimes you can't go home again. While there's no doubt that Generation 1 will hold a fond place in our hearts for introducing us to this crazy franchise, it has a boatload of issues that will probably hamper any replays. The game also lacks a ton of the Quality of Life additions that modern games have, which will further hurt the experience. Sometimes these things are better left in the past.

Generation II
nGIkw22.png
Hardware: Game Boy
Main Games: Gold & Silver
Special Edition: Crystal
New Features: Two new types (dark and steel), pokemon can hold items, Special stat split into special attack and special defense, genders added along with breeding, day of the week and time added
Comments: There are some people that claim Gen I was the peak of pokemon. Then there's basically everyone else who will argue Generation II is the, er, Golden Age of pokemon. It's a stronger argument, with significantly more balanced gameplay, fewer bugs and general issues, and a ton of content. It's so far the only generation where you can visit the previous generation's region and fight old gym leaders. You can even fight the protagonist from the previous generation. Crazy. This is probably the earliest you can go back and still find pokemon more or less playable.

VRTaJ4q.png

Generation III
KjWo1gx.jpg
Main Series: Ruby & Sapphire
Hardware: Game Boy Advance
Main Games: Ruby & Sapphire
Special Edition: Emerald
Remakes: Fire Red & Leaf Green
New Features: Pokemon have passive traits called "abilities" such as immunity to sleep or one-hit kill moves, double battles allow for 2v2 matchups, pokemon have natures that exchange 10% of one stat for 10% of another, the player character actually has a dad
Comments: I'm overly harsh on Gen III sometimes. I don't like most of the designs of many of the pokemon, and at the time Nintendo had no way of obtaining most of the old school pokemon on Ruby/Sapphire, forcing you to buy the remakes or the Gamecube RPGS to get the ones you want. It isn't TERRIBLE, however, and I actually recommend the remakes if you really are in the mood to relive Gen I.

Generation IV
eu2g5ls.jpg
Hardware: Nintendo DS
Main Game: Diamond & Pearl
Special Edition: Platinum
Remakes: Heart Gold & Soul Silver
New Features: Attack Type no longer determines if a move if physical or special (ie Thunderbolt is special whereas Thunderpunch is physical), internet trading and battling added to the series
Comments: I think Gen IV revitalized the series for a lot of people. Dual screen is really nice for pokemon, and internet finally brought communities together in a tangible way. As usual, the remakes are really awesome although apparently getting increasingly hard to find these days. Not a lot of complaints here. I especially like some of the evolutions for older pokemon like Yanma.

hRmVT3M.gif

Generation V
2G9mPFD.jpg
Generation Five
Hardware: Nintendo DS
Main Game: Black & White
Special Edition: Black 2 & White 2
New Features: TMs have infinite uses. You're Welcome.
Comments: Gen V is a pretty interesting game. The main series has this weird "alternate history" feel because you don't see any of the older pokemon until you beat the Elite Four, so you see a lot of reimagined pokemon like a new take on Machop, Geodude, Zubat, and other mainstays. The storyline was more at the forefront this time around with the villain actually questioning the ethics of pokemon training and being like a Pokemon Animal Liberation Front. Interesting though it doesn't really explore the issue like it could. This was a pretty brief generation, so there's not even a Ruby/Sapphire remake this time around.

svBCdvo.png

This is less of a direct FAQ and more of a general information dump that should answer any questions.

Pokemon X and Y are out the fuck right now, go buy it. No 3DS? Your options are:
  • Bundle Option: Includes a red or blue 3DS XL, and a copy of Pokemon X or Y.
  • Fancy Option: The Special Edition 3DS XL and a separate purchase of X or Y.
  • Cheap Option: The 3DS and a separate purchase of X or Y. The 3DS is a solid machine, but the screen is smaller and is lacking a few nice things the XL has (battery life, etc)
  • Cheapest Option: The 2DS and a separate of X or Y. The 2DS is not bad, but you're giving up a lot of features for the savings.

You can transfer Pokemon from Black/White 1 & 2 to X/Y. There will be an app that allows you to store pokemon from your Gen 5 games and then swap out your Gen 5 game for X or Y and use the app to finish the transfer. You HAVE to own Pokemon to transfer pokemon, so yes technically the Gen V to VI transfer costs money. HOWEVER, the app will be free for about a month when it releases.

Websites

Note: Due to the difficulty in hacking X/Y AND a worldwide release, non-Japanese players have never gone into a generation so blindly. Information is spotty and still in-progress, but it's getting there.

Global Link Site: A fancy Nintendo thing that will have FEATURES.
Bulpedia: Basically the biggest load of ANY kind of pokemon information on the internet.
Serebii.net: I don't really like the Serebii guy, but it's a good source of information and is another alternate pokedex should others be down.
Smogon: The site for competitive multiplayer. Has tier listings as well as decent articles and information on how to begin assembling a team. Also has individual critques of each pokemon's competitive capabilities, complete with some suggested movelists.
Pokemon Showdown: A very popular battle simulator complete with features like replays. It actually has a really nice, clean pokedex if you need one. Not updated for Gen VI yet.

IVs and EVs

IVs are Individual Values and EVs are Effort Values.

An IV is a basically random numbers assigned to a specific pokemon that determines how high or low their stats will be. One Raichu may have high HP whereas another Raichu has lower HP due to the difference in HP IVs. Note that this variation in stats is still within a certain range for that species (aka Base Stats). All golems have shitty special defense, but a golem with a 30 IV in that stat will be better off than a golem with a 10 IV. For the most part IVs are random, although breeding can influence them if you're hardcore enough. It's best not to worry about IVs since in the long run, as they don't matter a terrible amount with a few key exceptions (mostly 100 HP substitutes or outspeeding). Getting PERFECT IVS is practically impossible without cheating, and the safest bet is to go for high IVs in stats that matter (Attack/Special Attack and Speed for an offensive pokemon).

Effort Values is kind of like "stat experience" to further customize a pokemon's stats. For example, knocking out an Electrode will give a pokemon X Speed EVs, and every X speed EVs will cause that pokemon's speed to go up by one. There's a cap on the total amount of EVs you can have (regardless of what stat they're for) and there's also a cap on how many EVs of a particular stat a pokemon can possess. EVs ARE considered important, and a bulk of forming your team is tweaking their stats via a process calling "EV Training." In X/Y you can do Super Training, which is fun, easy, and quick. EV grinding Six Magikarp Man for speed EVs is pretty much dead.

Dream World Abilities

Gen V had a website where you uploaded your pokemon to and did various activities. You could catch pokemon there and send it back to your game, and they would have abilities that they normally didn't have. Now, X/Y have something called Global Link, of which all the details aren't solid yet. There's also supposedly methods that let you access Dream World (aka Hidden) abilities.

VXu7XwI.png

cG49qRR.png

Hey, I hear people like this stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMnwB6neGlY

e77Jq2O.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMY2zbVuloM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmywDbnC5oc

ziqJMjA.png

This is for stuff going on in the pokemon world and little things people on this forum put together.

Torchic : Until January, you can go online and get a free Torchic that is holding the Mega Stone necessary for Blaziken's mega evolution. Just head into the game and hit up Mystery Gift.
Shiny Giratina: GEN V EVENT. Head to a Gamestop before October 20th and it's yours.

aNbrpMy.png?1

iaOAJk2.png

If you wish to be added, please PM or @ me in the thread.

Aeyther: 2406-5131-9006
Anialos: 0103-9568-0853
Artreus: 1590-4692-3954
Asharaxx: 5413-0219-8736
Beasteh: 0087-3748-0294
Bendery Like Beckham: 0275-8140-6235
Big Red Tie: 3926-4292-8829
Blackbeard7: 3480-2868-5899
Bluedude152: 2595-0531-2979
casby: 0061-0863-4958
Ceno: 4871-3718-5715
The Cow King: 1907-9225-2803
Crimson King: 4742-6001-2106
drp527: 0216-0910-3881
DJ Antwan: 1392-5219-3149
Emerlmaster999: 0344-9387-2002
Goose!: 4940-5859-6219
Gofflesby: 0216-0851-9288
Halos Nach Tariff: 1161-0285-3351
Heatwave: 4227-1965-3206
Huntera: 2981-5737-5781
I need a name to post: 2793-1554-7378
Isoldae: 3282-3093-3348
jgeis: 2320-6460-9072
Jimothy: 3668-8012-6724
King Riptor: 3024-6018-5401
Klendy: 3110-4958-3089
Kor: 3050-7671-2707
Kwoaru: 3496-9713-7513
Lasbrook: 0920-0540-0190
Marathon: 4184-2563-8329
Melding: 5386-8415-3207
Neutered: 4682-9858-8261
Nirya: 2981-5304-3227
PaperLuigi44: 4553-9983-6412
Psykoma: 1461-6396-6955
RMED: 1607-2700-0798
Rorus Raz: 3995-6854-1079
Satanic Jesus: 0533-5338-5186
SCREECH OF THE FARG: 2707-3022-4350
Shen: 2234-8122-8398
Shill: 5172-0553-2537
Shorty: 0490-5638-2130
Silver: 0619-4325-9419
SingleCell: 1091-8702-0118
Speed Racer: 3668-8081-7919
Spoit: 0344-9296-6644
Stilts: 3282-1752-8749
-Tal: 4613-6287-6328
Treagy: 3050-7564-8415
Turambar: 3411-1109-4537
turtleant: 1005-9780-7144
Vann Diras: 3282-2877-8438
Wyborn: 2406-5129-4317
Yukira: 4854-6566-1045

hcjEK0q.png

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    ohmygod I'm going to make an acrobatics + air gem + that item loss ability

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    All the people who didn't name their Hawluchas Tizoc have disappointed me

Not really.
    yes you have

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    hawlucha looks dumb

but not as dumb as
    the 6th gym leader

well she was more creepy than dumb looking I guess

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    hawlucha has a deeply unsettling cameltoe

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    the newly expanded GTS system has shown me a startling truth: way too many people nickname their god damn pokemon

even the obvious level 1 breeding rejects/trade fodder!

I don't want to use a chespin named robotnik I just want a damn chespin

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    @Rorus Raz 2234-8122-8398

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Finally caught my hawlucha

Aka EL GENERICO

even caught him in that beautiful all white premier ball

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    yes hello pokemon wrestling?????

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    BugGirl hit 42, and finally has a good bug move. Her special attack EVs are close to max, so she's finally a solid member of the crew. I just wish Butterfree learned a better special flying move than...uh...Hidden Power?

Also, BugGirl is the highest level member of my team.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    so does one become a non provisional friend once whoever you've added adds you back?

goomyisall400.jpg

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Klendy wrote: »
    so does one become a non provisional friend once whoever you've added adds you back?
    Apparently

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, both people have to add each other's friend codes.

Speaking of @Rorus Raz would you please put mine in the OP list
    1161 0285 3351

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    My local gamestop denied the existence of a game+3DSXL bundle a few days ago?

Were they right or was I just talking to an unaware employee?

• Options
    Welps, I done added all y'alls. Please reciprocate.

goomyisall400.jpg

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Dys wrote: »

apparently the special pokemon ds doesn't come wight the game installed

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    I named my Hawlucha Pretzelcotl. Traded it to my bf so he could have one that levels up faster. The name makes him laugh every time.

Just restored power to Paris. So excited that I will lose all of my money on fancy clothes soon.

juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    I'm... I'm sorry, quacklin'

I'll remember you

You were rad

Just not as rad as lucha hawk

• Options
    Seriously, why couldn't you get scraggy earlier in B/W. I love this guy. Level 70 Scrafty eating babies. #gonnarocktheE4

goomyisall400.jpg

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular

Oh, I don't particularly care anout the special 3DS, I just want a red XL whenever I have the money for it.

I've just heard such a bundle of the game and system mentioned in the thread a few times. I asked about it a little while ago and the guy working the store told me there was no such deal.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Welps, I done added all y'alls. Please reciprocate.

Putting in your FC gives me a 'Friend Code is incorrect' error. Is the one in your signature correct or is there a problem at my end?

• Options
    MAYBE I DUN FUCKED UP.

Lemme dubs check, thanks Halo

goomyisall400.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2013
    @Rorus Raz I messed it all up!

actually I am 3110-4958-3089

on a totally related note, how do you @ someone with a space in their name?

Klendy on
    goomyisall400.jpg

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular

Oh, I don't particularly care anout the special 3DS, I just want a red XL whenever I have the money for it.

I've just heard such a bundle of the game and system mentioned in the thread a few times. I asked about it a little while ago and the guy working the store told me there was no such deal.

Yeah afaik it's not a bundle, just a pokemon themed 3ds-xl on its own, and the game on its own.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Scraggy was available by the third gym iirc. Which is fairly early traditionally
    What happened was between then and now he blew up in popularity so hes fairly easy to find almost immediately . Scraggy army for life

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I thought it was pretty sweet when the Pokemon Center wished me a happy birthday yesterday. This game you guys...

@Rorus Raz add me to the list also please, 3480-2709-7090

BillyIdle on
    PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    just caught yveltal with a single quick ball

• Options
    drp527drp527 We sacrifice our own That more may rise in their placeRegistered User regular
    @Rorus Raz toss my code up in the op too

0216-0910-3881

a1o1MZu.jpg
    Pokemon White FC: 2623 5026 2422 SS: 2150 9795 3738 Black: 4212 6128 9776
    Black2: 1593 2528 7190 3DS:0216-0910-3881 LoL:drp527
  • Options
    0087-3748-0294 add me chumps

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    @Rorus Raz

4613-6287-6328

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Only just realised - the secondary types of the starters actually just reinforce the super-effectiveness? Like, both Grass/Fighting are super effective against Water/Dark. Kind of assumed it was the other way around for whatever reason :P

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    @RorusRaz I messed it all up!

actually I am 3110-4958-3089

on a totally related note, how do you @ someone with a space in their name?

put their name in quotation marks

[at-sign]"Rorus Raz" for example

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Yesterday, I EV trained a farfetch'd

how're all y'alls doin?

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    @Rorus Raz

My friend code is in my sig!

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    drp527drp527 We sacrifice our own That more may rise in their placeRegistered User regular
    Xerneas showed up, did its whole cut scene thing, then the battle starts

I throw a single quick ball and then the battle ends

that sure was anticlimactic

a1o1MZu.jpg
    Pokemon White FC: 2623 5026 2422 SS: 2150 9795 3738 Black: 4212 6128 9776
    Black2: 1593 2528 7190 3DS:0216-0910-3881 LoL:drp527
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    gottagofast

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    oh nice this pikachu i got in a wonder trade has pokerus

• Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    gottagogoatfast

• Options
    8cOSlrk.png

• Options
    Whelp pokeParis sure is a ridiculous pain to get around.
    It's a shame too, because it's so big and you can go down all these alleyways and into cafes and such that it feels like a proper sized city, but it's just so annoying trying to get anywhere, much less orient yourself.

Also I added a bunch of people from this page if anyone wants to be my pokefriend.

• Options
    QuP1ON5.png

This discussion has been closed.