As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Glossolalia] Silver\Vignette (Everybody Join In)

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i'm going back and forth on whether to cook up some fun custom block rules or to just say "fuck it" and go with the lazy-mode silver rules

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    i am gonna borrow from metal gear in terms of broad archetypes and style but if you don't know shit about shit then i don't think you'll be too lost

also stilts i would think less about being a snake or a raiden and more like being members of foxhound, or dead cell, or the COBRA unit. a team of commandos rather than a single motherfucker.

That's okay.

I can still be totally anime.

i'm going back and forth on whether to cook up some fun custom block rules or to just say "fuck it" and go with the lazy-mode silver rules

Well, Block rules would work well if you want to focus on team coordination and resource management.

As for Silver, it depends on which ruleset you're using. First set? Emphasizes uncertainty and unintended consequences. Second set (our current one)? Emphasizes risk/reward and makes the player really think about just how much they want to succeed.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    GodDAMN it, Speed.

yousonofffabitch

@NeoToma Seems good. Narrow your concepts down to one word if you can, but, either way, you're good to post.

@Tommy2Hands (Skinshifter) doesn't really work as a emblem because it's a thing that happens, not a thing that is. Outside of Emblem Breaks, emblems don't change or move.

• Options
    Or, at least, that's how I view the systems.

DE?AD probably has a different take.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I've been scrolling through looking for blue text but I havent seen any. Is Silver taking a break?

• Options
    Also, use Silver II. It is better.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    DE?AD wrote: »
    GodDAMN it, Speed.

yousonofffabitch

i will never stop stealing your colors

• Options
    Also, use Silver II. It is better.

I initially didn't like it as much when I first looked at it; but now that I've thought about it some more I'm a fan of how it gives players a way to exert a bit of control over the randomness and forces them to think about what success is worth to them.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I've been scrolling through looking for blue text but I havent seen any. Is Silver taking a break?

No, it's just been a long week. I had te beginnings of an update drafted, but I had to delete it to tell at Speed.
    GodDAMN it, Speed.

yousonofffabitch

i will never stop stealing your colors

Oh that ain't even on the RADAR, brother.

Chase "Breaker" Maverick (Recon +1) (Break +1)

• Options
    i spilled pretty much all the details in that GM pm thread but SPOILERS OF ZAMANFARI

J. Alfred Wallweather invented the time machine like a bajillion years ago, and was using paradox shifts to navigate the multiverse

his goal was to find, kill, and take the place of God

Faust worked for Mephistopheles, God's "lawyer," who is responsible for maintaining contracts with God and His creations

Wallweather's actions stood in violation of humanity's contract, so Mephisto was trying to kill him, and as punishment, sever all human-populated timelines from God, erasing all structure and order that they have and essentially wiping them from existence

both factions would have been extremely cagey and duplicitous about their ultimate motivations and would have worked to entice the players to join them, but ultimately it was a "whoever wins, we lose" sort of thing and the only way for a "good" ending would have been to find some way to cut the gordion knot that i created. there was no intended way for you to "win" but that doesn't mean that one couldn't be invented.

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    @Tommy2Hands (Skinshifter) doesn't really work as a emblem because it's a thing that happens, not a thing that is. Outside of Emblem Breaks, emblems don't change or move.

this is a really good explanation, thank you!

I'll spend tonight trying to think of something more appropriate

e: would a mental disorder be a better emblem? maybe one that somehow manifests/represents itself physically?

e2: naah, that's not really what I intended on going for anyway. gonna read through some superpower wikis/tv tropes for inspiration here

this is a frustrating case of I know what I want the emblem/traits to be but I can't put a word(s?) to them

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    @Tommy2Hands why don't you write it out long form and I'll see if I can help.

@Speed Racer To clarify (Break), picture your standard phasing ability, but it shatters/damages/warps the matter he passes through.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    You need an animal after "Breaker"

And I guess de?ad is declaring the character sheet format by fiat! You need a name, a 2 word codename that follows the format of "[Skill/Specialization/Preferred Weapon] [Animal]," and either:

-a +2 trait for a combat specialization or "realistic" skill
    -two +1 combat/realistic skills
    -one +1 combat skill and one +1 super power
    -one +2 superpower

Or to sum up, any combination of superpower and combat traits that add up to 2, EXCEPT two +1 superpowers.

So you might be

Adam Shalashaska AKA Revolver Ocelot (sidearms +1) (deception +1)

Or

Bill Billson AKA The Pain (BEES +2)

• Options
    Oh also you should have a short paragraph explaining who your character is

And like with derelict, anything that isn't explicitly "non canon" you can make up and make it true for the setting

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Also also powers should be low-tier, like silver

Maybe even slightly less than silver

"Breaker" is like the upper end of power

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Eden del Bosque AKA Blade Jaguar (Swords +1) (Stealth +1)

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Knives Millionaire (Daggers +1) (Rich as hell +1)

wait shit

• Options
    Knives' real power is the seemingly infinite number of knives he can throw.

No one knows where the hell he keeps all of them.

But he's always able to keep pulling them out of somewhere.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_bIPDp8NSJ0#t=24

E: I swear to god I couldn't find a better video. It's all AMVs. AMVs all the way down.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Chase Maverick Breaker Eagle (Recon +1) (Break +1)
    Reconnaissance expert from the Californian Wastes, born with some sort of brain power that generates a "breaking field" around his body. He is able to utilize this field to pass through (and damage) objects. Breaker Eagle has also been shown to use this field to aid in mobility - breaking the ground at his feet to perform "dashes" or breaking the air below him to glide. Also, insists he is capable of projecting "breaker bolts."

Breaker Eagle refuses to use guns as a matter of principle.

Breaker Eagle was assigned his codename after his request to be called "Breaker Lion That Has the Wings of an Eagle and the Tail of Scorpion, and It's on Fire" was denied.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

His wallet.

• Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Bertrand Hustle Booming Tiger (Telekinetic +2)

Bertrand was raised in a special ghost-protocol training program that didn't officially exist on any records whose purpose was to find and study those with psychic powers. This program was known as Project Blind Buddha.

Collected as a child, like many of the other participants, he never knew family and grew as callous as the program's leaders. Friendship could not be found among the other participants, as the experimenters pitted them against each other as a way of measuring their psycho-combat abilities. Bertrand's abilities grew quickly, becoming well known for his signature 'Mind Bullet' ability of projecting bolts of force similar to gunfire in every way except the presence of an actual bullet.

Eventually, as is the way of these types of projects, one of the participants went on a mad rampage that gave enough time for the others to escape. There was a lot of fighting and explosions, things were pretty crazy, so who knows who made it out of that hell? Not Bertrand. He didn't even look. Because fuck those guys.
    Finding himself in an unfamiliar world, and knowing only combat, he soon delved into the life of a mercenary.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options

His wallet.

All of his knives double as credit cards.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    I feel like this is going to be to Metal Gear what a Alarming Predicament is to Resident Evil...

...and that just leaves me giddy.

• Options
    I feel like this is going to be to Metal Gear what a Alarming Predicament is to Resident Evil...

tumblr_lpy8h4ZUzy1r0jbcso1_1280.jpg

Yep, you're theory checks out.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    How was I not aware of this comic?

I am reading this comic.

E: And now I'm done :|

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Watcher Albatross(panoptic visor +2)

"Of course we're watching you. The question you should ask yourself is whether you've done something worth seeing."

Calm, detached, and virtually omniscient, Watcher Albatross is a one-man surveillance network. His state-of-the-art visor, which takes its commands directly from his brain, is connected to the largest network of spy drones and satellites in the world. In the flash of a thought, he can observe the whole of a battlefield, indentify a POI through a window, or check surrounding rooftops for snipers.

His combat skill is minimal, but the information he brings to the table has been essential to the planning and execution of many an op.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    Kilroy, you can probably make those a single +2 concept, as they're both sort of useless without the other. Something like, Panoptic Visor or what have you.

• Options
    DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    Post in Ascend, ya horrible louts

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    @Tommy2Hands why don't you write it out long form and I'll see if I can help.

I'll see what I can do,

tomorrow

its sort of been a long night for me

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited February 2014

Aileron NuVision, Mastery
    ▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥
    main {Sneaky, Spry, Sharpshooter, Salaryman, Biomod: Sonar}

"What's this I hear about a dead person dump?"

A curtain is brushed aside as a stranger pushes through. Although he's not a stranger, is he? You've seen that face a thousand times, plastered on decaying NuVision ads that fall down from up top, displaying this new strength aug, or that new feather mod. The same tall, toned body is there behind the rags that now adorn him. And he still exudes the same nauseating mixture of cockiness and smug superiority that always comes through even the broken, looping sales vids.

But still, there are the differences. The grime is the obvious one. No-one survives down here long without being caked in the scum, although the bloodied rag he's now wiping his hands with is copping the worst of it.
    Then there's the two pistols he has strapped to his sides. The holsters around each are worn to the point of falling apart, but the guns themselves are remarkably clean.
    And still, the scars. Once you look a bit deeper than the initial shock of recognition, you can see the usual wear and tear of the Underworld. Gashes healed on his hands. More than a few tracing cuts across his face. And, just visible underneath the layer of grime, a faint network of lines that seems to span all these.

".. all these were a waste of time. So, if you've got some extra space in that truck of yours, I'll just head over with these guys and have a looksee."

discrider on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Atlas America aka Minigun Grizzly (UAF/minigun +2) (Tough Bastard +2)

This rugged giant of a man was found wandering the wastes of Europe by a squad of American operatives. Armed with minigun and Uranus Ammunition Factory backpack he could not be divested of, the remaining operatives tried a desperation ploy and called for his surrender. This amused him greatly, and accompanied them back to Awesome America.

When registering for citizenship, he could give no family name and even expressed confusion as to it's purpose, so the officials gave him one. In the years since, still no-one has been successful in disarming him.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Grant Revenge, Greed, Power
    ▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥
    main { Thick Ice; Mercury Augment, TactiVision; Sharpshooter,}

"Hold your horses, rook," Grant says, stepping forward. "A club sounds better than a haunted hotel with a fucked-up robot-assassin, but a base is a base. The payment better be worth it."

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    By the way, in terms of character creation, I'm kind of terrible at subtlety.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    Gabriel Thurston Survival, Guilt, Justice
    ▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥
    main {Streetspeak, Marksman, Perceptive}

"Yeah, what about the money?". The question came from the man standing somewhere in the back. He seemed old, around sixty, with a stuble, silver hair and a rough moustache that still retained a hint of black.
    He had a strong but not overtly large jaw and his cheekbones were well defined.
    WIth his right hand he was searching his pockets for something, before finally finding a wet pack of Helios cigarettes. His coat had clearly not been up to the challenge of the weather.
    Then his mechanical left arm started to buzz and stir, producing a lighter out of another pocket. Just before the fire could reach the cigarrete in his mouth the buzzing stopped.
    The arm swung limp to his side, smashing the lighter against the floor, breaking it.

"I don't suppose one of you has any fire?" His tired brown eyes looked around, waiting for an answer.

• Options

tumblr_lpy8h4ZUzy1r0jbcso1_1280.jpg

Yep, you're theory checks out.

oh no i've been found out

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Kilroy, you can probably make those a single +2 concept, as they're both sort of useless without the other. Something like, Panoptic Visor or what have you.

Done!

• Options
    Yo Speed, can my dude's mind-bullets be completely silent, but "heard" telepathically? Like, microphones don't pic them up but the average joe is ducking for cover. It's a really stupid distinction that makes me laugh.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Kyohei Eru Justice, Loyalty, Stubborn
    ▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥▥
    main {Vlasta Optical EWAR; MAYA Cloaking System; Hotsuma Limb Augments Martial Arts}

"Sure friend, here."

An arm swung up in front of the old man, a gleaming silver lighter held lightly between a finger and thumb. A small click produced a tiny blue flame that flashed only for the second it took to light the cigarette in his mouth before it vanished into the owner's coat pocket as quickly as it appeared.

He was a tall man, a lean edge to him clearly defined despite the thick black trench coat that enveloped his body. He grinned, perhaps a bit too cheerfully, at the silver-haired man and nodded slightly as he stepped back to again lean upon the wall of the shop. The coat was damp, water still running off it in rivulets and dripping onto the floor, but the water couldn't wash away how well-worn the coat was. He probably hadn't taken it off in weeks, months even. With hair a dull copper, a perfectly symmetrical- if unremarkable- face, and gleaming eyes that didn't truly seem to be his own he seems a bit too perfectly structured to be human. Yet he didn't talk like a robot, and his movements were too organic and fluid, like a living body wrapped in a shell of steel and prosthetics.

As he settled back against the wall, Kyohei turned back to the man addressing them all. Cofresi, was it?

"I hope you're planning to give us some more intel than that, I can't say I'm hot on blindly snooping around some gang's territory."

• Options
    Yo Speed, can my dude's mind-bullets be completely silent, but "heard" telepathically? Like, microphones don't pic them up but the average joe is ducking for cover. It's a really stupid distinction that makes me laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRedUF0SAGg

This discussion has been closed.