As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends] Now playing the SaltyTeemo drinking game

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Jayce was gated pretty hard by mana costs at release

It took a pretty decent source of infinite mana for AD champs to make him the monster he was

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    what is this revisionist jayce world i live in

since when was it "skillful" to put an E in front of you and Q from where no one could see you

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Joe K wrote: »
    Roz wrote: »
    I mean FeralPony's resume is excellent:

Fizz (with Xypherous)
    Graves
    Hecarim
    Jayce (with Hephastopheles)
    Rumble

CertainlyT:

Darius
    Thresh
    Zed
    Zyra

Everyone one of whom had an inherently broken kit. Sure, they're fun. I'll give you that, but all of them have been stupidly strong at release, and continue to be some of the best in breed.

Hell, just put him on support design, and he'd be fine. Just don't let him design other champs.

you realize every single one of the feralpony champions you listed have been OP at one point in time

Of them, only graves was truly broken at launch. And they had to fix him repeatedly, so minus points for that.

The rest of his heroes have ebb and flowed as the game, itemization, and metagame has shifted.

Everyone one of CertianlyTs champs has been insanely OP at release and taken many months and patches to fix (except for maybe Zed, who took season 3 itemization to shine). Even so, after repeated nerfs many of these heroes are still at the top of the food chain, and zyra is particular is worrisome because she's not even supposed to be a support at all.

i hate the whole "XXX isn't supposed to be a support" thing.

Riot has repeatedly nerfed supports, hard. Zyra has a ton of utility, does loads of damage without items, and actually scales well if she does get fed. It's the same reason that Annie and Fiddles are top tier supports right now. To fix the problem, supports need to scale appropriately, or there needs to be a magic fence that keeps everyone that isnt tagged Marksman or Support out of botlane for 10 minutes.

It's okay though, because next season traditional supports are getting their damage nerfed and some low ratios added to their utility.

I mean it's not like the average support dealt relatively low damage with items already or anything.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    You guys are right.

Jayce would be better if his ult was a suplex.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    this post was completely wrong because I didn't bother actually looking up s2 worlds matches

i'm a butt

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Joe K wrote: »

Fizz (with Xypherous)
    Graves
    Hecarim
    Rumble

CertainlyT:

Darius
    Thresh
    Zed
    Zyra

Everyone one of whom had an inherently broken kit. Sure, they're fun. I'll give you that, but all of them have been stupidly strong at release, and continue to be some of the best in breed.

Hell, just put him on support design, and he'd be fine. Just don't let him design other champs.

you realize every single one of the feralpony champions you listed have been OP at one point in time

Of them, only graves was truly broken at launch. And they had to fix him repeatedly, so minus points for that.

The rest of his heroes have ebb and flowed as the game, itemization, and metagame has shifted.

Everyone one of CertianlyTs champs has been insanely OP at release and taken many months and patches to fix (except for maybe Zed, who took season 3 itemization to shine). Even so, after repeated nerfs many of these heroes are still at the top of the food chain, and zyra is particular is worrisome because she's not even supposed to be a support at all.

i hate the whole "XXX isn't supposed to be a support" thing.

Riot has repeatedly nerfed supports, hard. Zyra has a ton of utility, does loads of damage without items, and actually scales well if she does get fed. It's the same reason that Annie and Fiddles are top tier supports right now. To fix the problem, supports need to scale appropriately, or there needs to be a magic fence that keeps everyone that isnt tagged Marksman or Support out of botlane for 10 minutes.

It's okay though, because next season traditional supports are getting their damage nerfed and some low ratios added to their utility.

I mean it's not like the average support dealt relatively low damage with items already or anything.

Look,

Tanks bring utility and tankiness

Mages bring damage and utility

supports bring utility and get nerfed if they display the other traits.

This is how balance works

• Options
    i feel like i'm being told ezreal had pretty crap win rates when his W had a heal

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular

Fizz (with Xypherous)
    Graves
    Hecarim
    Rumble

CertainlyT:

Darius
    Thresh
    Zed
    Zyra

Players not knowing how to build or play a champion doesn't make them not "truly broken" at launch.
    Fizz was devastating at launch but no one played him professionally except Shushei. Likewise Rumble with TreeEskimo. The western scene was hugely resistant to change at that time though and denied their ability to lane bully and murder fools. Hecarim is the only one you could argue wasn't "op at release" but the things he could do with lane ganks didn't change with the buffs they gave him. And if you don't think Jayce was broken as FUCK at launch, then you haven't met my friend Talith, which is strange because you talk with him in thread every day.

I don't fault design and development for not understanding how strong a hero can be when piloted by the .01% of the player base, and particularly when it takes the players many iterations in the wild to figure out how strong that champion is.

I do fault design and development when champs are released and its obvious to everyone they've been overtuned in a scant few hours.

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    Oriana, Lee Sin, and Vi are the champs that I think are the outright best designed and developed in the game.
    I hate Lee Sin. A champion should not do everything except have a ranged auto attack.
    Miniwolf wrote: »
    Yah... volty's a boss.
    I have to take points off Volty for being responsible for me still having to listen to complaints about Silver Bolts. How could you not realize that's really going to piss people off? Of course, the funny thing is that's not even the strongest part of Vayne, but years later the NO COUNTERPLAY still continues.

Because he has AOE burst? Hard CC? AP damage?

lee sin's E does aoe magic damage B)

Yeah and it's really burst too! He's like a mage!

• Options

since when was it "skillful" to put an E in front of you and Q from where no one could see you

Because then you're doing it wrong. You fire the Q first, then you E to give it max distance :D

• Options
    SEASON 2 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

GAMES, IN ORDER:

Azubu Frost vs Invictus Gaming
    Frost bans Jayce

Invictus Gaming vs CLG
    CLG bans Jayce

SK Gaming vs Azubu Frost
    No Jayce appearance

SK Gaming vs CLG
    SK Gaming runs Jayce (Triforce Jayce, loss)

Azubu Frost vs CLG
    no Jayce

Invictus vs SK Gaming
    SK Gaming runs Jayce (Triforce Jayce, loss)

Dignitas vs CLG EU
    No Jayce

Najin Sword vs Saigon Jokers
    Jayce pick
    !!! FIRST JAYCE THAT DOES NOT BUILD TRIFORCE
    MakNoon builds two Doran's, two Bloodthirsters, a Brutalizer, and Boots 1. He goes 7-1-6

CLG EU vs Najin Sword
    CLG bans Jayce

Dignitas vs Saigon Jokers
    Saigon Jokers picks Jayce - Bloodthirsters! Saigon Jokers win

Saigon Jokers vs CLG EU
    Saigon Jokers pick Jayce
    CLG EU is awarded the medal of first team to beat Bloodthirster Jayce

Dignitas vs Najin Sword
    no jayce

GROUP STAGE OVER

Moscow 5 vs Invictus Gaming
    Moscow 5 bans Jayce both games

Taipei Assassins vs Najin Sword
    Game 1: TPA runs Jayce, win
    Game 2: TPA ban Jayce

TSM vs Azubu Frost
    Game 1: Frost runs Jayce - Infamously, Dyrus picks Darius into Jayce. He gets destroyed.
    Game 2: TSM picks Jayce. Unlike Azubu Frost, they run Triforce Jayce. He gets destroyed.

CLG EU vs Team WE
    Game 1: No Jayce, WE wins.
    Game 2: Wickd is the first western player to run AD Jayce. CLG wins.
    Game 3. Wickd continues his streak with AD Jayce. CLG wins.

SEMIFINALS

Moscow 5 vs TPA
    Moscow 5 bans Jayce all 3 games

CLG EU vs Azubu Frost
    Game 1: CLG EU win running AD Jayce
    Game 2/3: Azubu Frost ban Jayce

FINALS:

TPA vs Azubu Frost
    Game 1: Frost bans Jayce
    Game 2: TPA bans Jayce
    Game 3: Frost bans Jayce
    Game 4: Frost pick Jayce, but TPA win

Source: http://lol.gamepedia.com/Season_2_World_Championship/Picks_and_Bans/Group_Stage

So where exactly is this "It took until Muramana for people to realize Jayce was good" coming from again? The fact that the NA style Jayce got repeatedly destroyed at the Season 2 finals, while Real Jayce was extremely successful?

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Because then you're doing it wrong. You fire the Q first, then you E to give it max distance :D

The distance Q travels is not affected by where the E is. Q has two potential distances: Unboosted distance, and Boosted distance. The location of E does not matter, allowing you to fire a full-speed Q from your character model.

Sounds like I'm not the one doing it wrong. B)

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    gonna be honest I forgot jayce got that much play in s2 worlds, so I retract my previous statement

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I never said that jayce was bad without tear changes. I said he was made into the pick or ban monster because of the tear changes.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    You're confusing correlation with causation. Jayce became a pick or ban monster at the end of season 2. Conveniently, the end of season 2 also introduced a bunch of new items. The two happened in sync. Out of the 31 games at the World Championships, Jayce was not picked or banned in 5 of them. That is a pick or ban monster and the only reason he wasn't picked or banned more was because such top lane monstrosities as Shen still existed back then as well.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I'm just going to exclusively play jinx rocket poke support because why not

override367 on
  • Options
    edited November 2013

The distance Q travels is not affected by where the E is. Q has two potential distances: Unboosted distance, and Boosted distance. The location of E does not matter, allowing you to fire a full-speed Q from your character model.

I think we're talking past each other a bit, but we're onto the same idea. When I was first researching guides on how to play Jayce I came across this quote:

"If you don't want people to dodge your E-Q combo , you can simply fire the Q before and then E , the faster you do this the closer you can put your gate from you and the harder it will be to dodge it."

Which is what I think we both agree on. Boosted Q gives max distance, regardless of where the gate is, but you want to E->Q to reduce the time someone can dodge the Q.

Unless, I am massively misunderstanding the mechanics at play here.

Roz on
  • Options
    hug it out you two

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Anyway because of how this conversation started don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you can't like Jayce's design or FeralPony's work or anything, but the idea that he was balanced on release is an incredibly NA-centric view. NA pro teams and streamers did not have a strong handle on Jayce, but other regions were starting to put him through his paces. He was very much something to be afraid of and part of the big scary toplane crew.

I think we're talking past each other a bit, but we're onto the same idea. When I was first researching guides on how to play Jayce I came across this quote:

"If you don't want people to dodge your E-Q combo , you can simply fire the Q before and then E , the faster you do this the closer you can put your gate from you and the harder it will be to dodge it."

Which is what I think we both agree on. Boosted Q gives max distance, regardless of where the gate is, but you want to E->Q to reduce the time someone can dodge the Q.

oh okay we're arguing technicalities then never mind

yeah the goal is to drop the gate close to you to speed the thing up as fast as possible while giving as little of a tell to the enemy that you're going to do it

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    [
    Anyway because of how this conversation started don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you can't like Jayce's design or FeralPony's work or anything, but the idea that he was balanced on release is an incredibly NA-centric view. NA pro teams and streamers did not have a strong handle on Jayce, but other regions were starting to put him through his paces. He was very much something to be afraid of and part of the big scary toplane crew.

oh okay we're arguing technicalities then never mind

yeah the goal is to drop the gate close to you to speed the thing up as fast as possible while giving as little of a tell to the enemy that you're going to do it

Oh and don't get me wrong either, I don't mean to imply Jayce was balanced either - he absolutely was not for the highest caliber of players.

I'm just vastly more forgiving towards releasing an OP champion that takes the regions a couple of months to figure out, versus releasing champs that everyone pretty much agrees are OP right out of the gate.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Naphtali wrote: »
    hug it out you two

I think we're ok? I don't their either INANTP or myself are upset or openly hostile here. We're just having a discussion?

Roz on
  • Options
    i cry every time i post in this thread

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    It's almost like we may go back to somewhat pre euro-lane meta. I mean the entire basis of the support role is utility with little money. If you bring the duo lane in line to even close money between the two participants then that really blows the doors off of the second spot in the duo lane.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Jayce was really rough when his E was magic damage, and did a % of HP, so even if you fucked up your combos and let some get on your face, you could still knock them back and punish them, while leaving your opponent in a difficult point when deciding which defenses to itemize for.

That's what made even bad Jayce players dangerous in top lane, and one of the many reasons why he was so powerful, including the cheaper cost and relatively short CD on his E.

I mean, you could suck super hard and just melee form, Q + auto + E and walk away and have chunked someone out. And that is not exactly a high skill cap harass combo.

Pacificstar on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    i'm pretty ok with champs being op out the gate because thresh was the best champion of 2013

and that is a scientific fact 100% trust

vi and jinx are the runner ups (also op at launch!)

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    jinx is da bes all adc should be like jinx and verbally inform people they're about to die when they use their ult

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    hug it out you two

I think we're ok? I don't their either INANTP or myself are upset or openly hostile here. We're just having a discussion?

silly ole bear B)

• Options
    i'm pretty ok with champs being op out the gate because thresh was the best champion of 2013

Vi was not OP at launch, and Vi and Jinx were the best characters to come out of this year. Not close.

• Options
    jinx is da bes all adc should be like jinx and verbally inform people they're about to die when they use their ult

lucian does it too but he's usually speaking to minions

• Options
    i cry every time i post in this thread

me too

bear hugs

• Options
    edited November 2013

lucian does it too but he's usually speaking to minions

yeahhh, I mean I used to like lucian but comparing his ult to Jinx's

I mean Jinx's ult really feels like an ultimate attack, if you fight conservatively in a team fight and eat your vegetables you get a delicious nuclear ice cream multi kill if you can survive until they're all low

then you take off like a jet fighter, play kenny loggins, and scoop up a pentakill

override367 on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013

Lee Sin takes tremendous skill and familiarity to pilot correctly, and the mind games he promotes in higher level play are some of the most interesting and rewarding out there.
    He has AOE burst and AOE hard CC in his ult, and it has a laughable cooldown. Yes, he does not do very much magic damage, and he doesn't have a resistance shred. There are literally several ways that saying he does everything is an exaggeration, which should tell you how obscenely overloaded his kit is.

Coinage on
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Vi was not OP at launch, and Vi and Jinx were the best characters to come out of this year. Not close.

good news, I was mistaken and Vi actually came out in 2012 anyway, not 2013, and yes, she was op... her synergy with the ridiculous black cleaver made it worse

they nerfed black cleaver... and a couple months later, they nerfed vi!

Patch 3.03 wrote:
    Vi

These changes reduce her early jungle presence by slowing down her clearing speed. We reintroduced counterplay to Vault Breaker by rewarding opponents for interrupting her while she is charging up.

Base attack damage reduced to 54 from 58.

Vault Breaker
    Now goes on a 3 second cooldown and refunds 50% of the Mana cost when interrupted instead of fully refreshing the cooldown and refunding 100% of the Mana cost.

Denting Blows
    Damage reduced to 4/5.5/7/8.5/10% of maximum Health from 6/7/8/9/10%.

she then fell into a lull for a couple months while people were wary of her nerfs. then koreans played vi in ogn and here we are today

edit: I think I recall watching ogn and vi being played and INANTP posting "guess who's back?" with a cool pic of Vi iirc

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

Lee Sin takes tremendous skill and familiarity to pilot correctly, and the mind games he promotes in higher level play are some of the most interesting and rewarding out there.
    He has AOE burst and AOE hard CC in his ult, and it has a laughable cooldown. Yes, he does not do very much magic damage, and he doesn't have a resistance shred. There are literally several ways that saying he does everything is an exaggeration, which should tell you how obscenely overloaded his kit is.

And he may need to be played well to make *the plays*, but he can just bully people out of the jungle by walking up and just landing everything and sheilding the retaliation.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular

Fizz (with Xypherous)
    Graves
    Hecarim
    Rumble

CertainlyT:

Darius
    Thresh
    Zed
    Zyra

Awesomely enough, last year at Pax East I met Feral Pony at the LoL bar crawl. I had just made Gold using only Fizz. I told him such. I didn't really understand why he had such a shit eating grin the whole time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Jayce was really rough when his E was magic damage, and did a % of HP, so even if you fucked up your combos and let some get on your face, you could still knock them back and punish them, while leaving your opponent in a difficult point when deciding which defenses to itemize for.

That's what made even bad Jayce players dangerous in top lane, and one of the many reasons why he was so powerful, including the cheaper cost and relatively short CD on his E.

I mean, you could suck super hard and just melee form, Q + auto + E and walk away and have chunked someone out. And that is not exactly a high skill cap harass combo.

Jayce's hammer E still does magic damage, 20% max HP at rank 5 with a 1.0 bonus AD ratio. It was wildly broken at first because it ALSO had base damage on top of the % and ad ratio.

The only reason he wasn't immediately seen as OP as fuck is that in NA the special breed of geniuses we have in our region looked at his kit and saw 1.0 AD on his hammer Q, 1.68 bonus AD on his EQ cannon, 1.0 bonus AD on his hammer E, 3.6 total AD on his cannon W and all that and somehow missed that building nothing but AD and penetration was going to make him broken.

They had to drastically increase the CD on his E, increase his mana costs all over the place, and remove the base damage from his hammer E and he's still a strong champion.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I really need to get back into Irelia. Such a fun champ to play, just wish there were cooler skins for her. Or update her art.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    I really need to get back into Irelia. Such a fun champ to play, just wish there were cooler skins for her. Or update her art.

frostbooty pls

• Options
    i want to jungle as irelia even though I know that wont work

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

frostbooty pls

Never seen it in game, I'll look it up.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
This discussion has been closed.