As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dragon's Dogma] Dragon's Dogma 2 in the making. Please be excited.

• Options
    Top RateTop Rate Registered User regular
    hey guys so I picked this up on the PSplus sale so I'm pretty much brand new (just made it past
    the underground mission vs:

It seems some enemies I encounter are impossible to beat until you realize they have a soft spot... ie: those first crocodile creatures under the well, once I saw you could take their tails off they became cake... are most enemies in the game like that, you need to find their weakness?

Combat is super fun so far, reminds me of the first dungeon seige but way more hands-on. And the fact the enemies hit so hard + you can encounter a huge mini-boss around every corner is exciting, you really feel like completing your travel from A to B is an accomplishment of itself.

I also love the hired pawn system, and how they don't level with you... such a cool way to bring the party element to a new level of complexity + broaden the story's scope.

Any general tips for someone starting up to max enjoyment? Is gear pretty easy to find in the world / from quests, what should I spend my money on? I've bought upgraded daggers each time I get, but it leaves me with little money available to upgrade my pawn's gear (still has her starting shield and a slightly better than vanilla bastard sword I think).

Anybody see the pool? They flipped the bitch!
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Upgrading is more worthwhile than buying, in general.
    Many things can be duplicated, so you may at some point regret using a material or handing in a quest-item without making a copy.
    Changing vocations is encouraged. A lot of people get super caught up in trying to be a mage, or trying to be a rogue, and they often end up frustrated.

• Options
    fearsomepiratefearsomepirate I ate a pickle once. Registered User regular
    I've finished off all three of the melee classes. Well, I don't remember if I finished off Magic Knight completely, but I got kind of tired of it anyway.

I haven't played since finishing off Fourneval's acquittal. It was getting tedious, and the pace of new stuff (whether skills, loot, or places) had really slowed down. Maybe I should go to BBI. I'm getting a little tired of COD.

Nobody makes me bleed my own blood...nobody.
    PSN ID: fearsomepirate
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    oh my fucking god oh my fucking god oh my fucking god

started the third section of BBI

been doing just fine so far

embarrassed the big boss of section 2

now apropos of nothing there's a goddamn room with like eight mages with a party wipe spell, three garm spawn in, and two gorecyclops are just standing there waiting

what in the everloving shit fuck

did somebody fall asleep on the difficulty button

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    BBI has a lot of surprises. Hehe.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    is "stand around under the gorecyclops' feet" every pawn's third inclination

Elendil on
  • Options
    okay the gorecyclops is officially infuriating

three times i get him down to a relatively small amount of health but i just run out of steam (i.e. wakestones and consumables)

pawns just go straight up retarded in the fight

i don't get it

they literally can't do anything right

they can't climb without falling, they continually run headlong into walls, into his club, into his feet

the mage won't cast the right spells or stay back

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Pawns can be woefully stupid. It was definitely one of the big issues with this game.

You can be pretty active about making your personal pawns AI improve but it takes time and an understanding of the obtuse pawn tendency system. I recommend reading the wiki if you haven't.

Other peoples pawns... I don't think you can really influence their AI.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Gorecyclops and Elder Ogres are enemies that must be skipped unless you got upgraded fully weapons from BBI. Most of the time you are stuck spamming attacks with their elemental weaknesses.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Gorecyclops and Elder Ogres are enemies that must be skipped unless you got upgraded fully weapons from BBI. Most of the time you are stuck spamming attacks with their elemental weaknesses.

Absolutely this, at least until you have a few weapons and rings. That room in particular is frustrating because of the mages. The jump in damage from the end game weapons of the base game to the damage from BBI weapons is huge. So once you have some better gear it quits being quite such a pain in the ass to deal with either of those two types of enemies.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Some classes are able to ambush them. Just cast Malestrom or go for headshots with your bow from the upper area.

Also, I think you can use Pilfer/Master Thief on the chained cyclops and get good items. I haven't tried it.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Elder Ogres actually haven't presented a huge issue to me. They're pretty tough, especially considering that normal ogres are on the low end of the power spectrum, but I don't find them to be particularly dangerous. Maybe it'll start dumping three of them on me though; that sure made a difference with the Garm.

And yeah, my damage output is really not sufficient to deal with the gorecyclops. Theoretically, if I had a pair of mages that properly supported me with ice spells and healing, and refrained from dying, I could definitely do it. But the sheer length of the fight just makes it more and more inevitable for shit to go wrong, especially when I'm running around picking up pawns every five seconds (I mean literally every five seconds).

The irony of is that the reason I wanted to fight the Gorecyclops to begin with was because he apparently drops the really good BBI shit. The Forgotten Hall is a big old brick wall for progressing through the third section, so I'm not getting great stuff the way it is now.

I've actually been reading quite a bit on pawn inclinations, so I have an idea of what I'm looking for when I'm hiring them. Just by the nature of the fight, I can't really blame my scather fighter pawn for being ineffectual (she's not tanking this shit for me). But my kingdom for a mage with survival instincts and ice magic.

• Options
    Also, I think you can use Pilfer/Master Thief on the chained cyclops and get good items. I haven't tried it.
    now that's something

that'll get you novelties and gear, apparently, but if the rings are that good, gear couldn't hurt...

• Options
    edited December 2013
    The upgraded version of the Assassin's Explosive Charge would make Mr. Torgue proud. It's not that powerful but it has a good knockdown effect.

The Gorecyclops are a pain ideally just spam Maelstrom until die. Seism could be good. I think it deals holy damage.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Ha!

Pilfered the chained gorecyclops over and over until he gave me a Gear 3.

Purified it and... Daggerist's Band!

what in the what how did i end up with exactly what i was looking for

• Options
    RNG.

It has Thousand Kisses, right?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    yep

it has both skills

• Options
    so one of the best longbows in the game is just sitting in duskmoon tower for the taking if you know where to look

sigh

sigh

• Options
    edited December 2013
    and now that first gorecyclop is dead

everybody worked as a team! nobody died! where was this yesterday

my own scather fighter pawn ended up climbing up on him and knocking the mask off of her own volition while i was climbing the tower, looting

this would have been annoying except as it turns out, everybody else was safe in the upper tower

and than she came back up

without needing to be asked

she's such a great pawn

people should rent her

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Elendil wrote: »
    so one of the best longbows in the game is just sitting in duskmoon tower for the taking if you know where to look

sigh

sigh

1wC2hCU.gif
    4Hs3DtO.gif
    hqfnPww.gif

I got the BBI maps but the annotations are in Japanese. Also this might be useful: Macabre sculptures locations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CtODNGGXAA

I think one is impossible to obtain in BBI 2.0. I think so you might wanna backtrack a little.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I got Dark Arisen as a birthday gift so i've just started it. For whatever reason I guess i've lost my Dragon's Dogma saves but no big deal, I was going to start over anyway since it's been ages since I played it.

About what level is the Dark Arisen content?

Aistan on
  • Options
    Let's say after the Dragon boss in the main game. You can go there and get some good gear early from the chests but it would be a pain without the exclusive weapons...
    ... or the special ones after the boss fights.

You could get higher level pawns for free if they are on your friend list.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    i survived the forgotten hall

not through any particular talent

just, the garms spawned in the first room and not the jesus god room

on the other hand, rotwood depository, which i got through just fine the other night, kicked my teeth in

the guy who came up with the ghost enemies needs a punch in the dick

• Options
    Wraiths.

They have high magick defense.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    So got this game for free as a ps plus member. It is amazing.

I feel over leveled though. Like mid 30s with two vocations near max and I just met the duke.

Killed a dragon that I randomly ran into. (Well it was random about 15 levels ago. Sought it out for round two intentionally.)

Am I over powered? Or is the game going to start throwing more monsters much more powerful than chimera, Cyclopes and ogre?

616610-1.png
  • Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    You will find much more difficult enemies later, or you can take a look at the Bitterblack Isle as well. You'd probably be better off not going there until you've completed the main story, though.

• Options
    Taking a break from BBI to progress the main story a little. I'd like to try and pivot my ranger/assassin into a magick archer, but I have no idea how feasible it is. It seems like it'd be fun to play, and the game is throwing me magick archer gear left and right, but my magic stat is piss poor. I can't imagine starting to pick up sorcerer levels at over level 100, either.

I dismissed the pawns I was using and was shocked when I saw I'd used them for 20 levels. They were good ones.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Well, if you purify gear while you and your pawn are part of yellow classes you are gonna get gear in that line. Vocations determine the gear you get most of the time. Most people use the Godsbane you get from Grigs to reroll the gear.

In the case of magic try getting up to rank 9 of sorcerer for Acuity (20% or 15% extra magic attack). Mage gets you Attunement (10%). The augments add to each other and provided you can get one of the BBI magick bows you are set.

The three pieces of the Trophy Armor get you +70 magic attack.

MA suffers on the magick dagger skills department (physical skills are ok) but Ninefold bolt and Ricochet Seeker can destroy almost everything in BBI.

The magick archer rules BBI basically.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    The highest Magick from a magick bow is 1522, and the highest possible Magick from levels would be 786 or something.

For perspective.

• Options
    I already have the Dragon's Tempest from BBI. Trophy Jacket and Bracers, too. Still need the boots.

And I did spend about half my levels as a ranger, which has not-negligible magic growth. Hm.

• Options
    Then go ahead. The sorcerer augment must be more than enough in case you wanna get an improvement.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Higher elemental buffs also increase Magick.

• Options
    BTW, MA has a skill named Magic Rebalancer that increases magick. I have never used it.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    ...but Ninefold bolt and Ricochet Seeker can destroy almost everything in BBI.

The magick archer rules BBI basically.

I was quite pleased when I discovered that Garms, Elder Ogres, and the Execution guys get stunlocked and quickly destroyed by Ricochet Seeker.

Magick Archer was probably my favorite class, as it had a lot of ways to play and access to a great variety of gear to complement each particular playstyle (not to mention allowing you to play dress-up to your heart's content).

• Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    I wish Magick Archers had similar shooting mechanics to the other bow classes. Didn't like the lock-on at all.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Magick Archer is absurdly fun. Ricochet bolt just grinds through everything in tight spaces. And explosive bolt is great if you've got melee pawns wailing on something.

If you've spent a lot of levels in strider/assassin, I could see a melee MA working well. The L3 version of the skill that sets you on fire does amazing damage. Combined with dagger skills you'd basically a holy terror to any scalable monster.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Wait, you mean magick archer has more skills than just Immolation?

.....why would you possibly need any other skill besides setting yourself on fire and bearhugging enemies? How absurd!

• Options
    Also, some of the rings from BBI increase the attack stats.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    probably not better than shearing wind/thousand kisses and ninefold bolts/explosive volley though right

'cause i have both of those

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Wait, you mean magick archer has more skills than just Immolation?

.....why would you possibly need any other skill besides setting yourself on fire and bearhugging enemies? How absurd!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zc9FLWV81Y

*wanders away whistling a merry tune*

Magic Archer utterly rules BBI. No other class comes close in general effectiveness. Ice shot obliterates gore cyclops, that lightning skill obliterates ogres, garms and minotaurs, they can jump on faces and kiss them ungently to death when an enemy is actually weak to melee. The holy attack slaughters those ghost knights and knocks the skeleton ones for six with its heavy knockback. The multiple shot skill will knock a dragon out of the sky with one macross missile massacre. It has a hard counter to everything.
    Assassin can do slightly better boss killing when solo but it requires a hefty supply of that infinite stamina potion since invisibility got nerfed somewhat.

Generally tho Magic Archer is the safest and deadliest. You do need a good bow and sorceror augments for magic power increase. And magic power increase items.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
This discussion has been closed.