Options

The Ashes: Episode 67 - The Empire Strikes Again.

bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
Untitled-3_zpscd8f63a1.png

Untitled-1_zps8cceebbf.png

sC4Q4nq.jpg

• Options
    session 1: the poms wrestled momentum back in the last minutes before lunch by claiming the wicket of shane watson. though rogers fell early, it was looking favourable for the aussies for much of the session, with warner in form and contributing most of the 71-run total. but it was stuart broad's second wicket that felled watson and the dangerous paceman will return from the KFC break with a lot to be confident about.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Didn't we just have one of these bloody things? If we win again I'm worried the country will reach dangerous levels of insufferable smugness.

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    That's a good op, hoss

(Pietersen is a wanker)

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Hermano wrote: »
    Didn't we just have one of these bloody things? If we win again I'm worried the country will reach dangerous levels of insufferable smugness.

yep. for those who are uninitiated, cricket is played in the summer and the ashes in alternating hemispheres, and since the teams tend to like playing other teams from time to time, that usually means this competition is held every 18 months, rather than every 6. this time though we're playing twice in one year, which could be considered overkill. but the last series actually was very entertaining, despite the australians perpetually being on the back foot. and the rain.

of course that one didn't really count anyway, since it was held in the weird sorta pretend summer that happens in july. december summer's where it's at.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    mein gott. broad takes rogers, warner, watson and clarke in not much more than a session.

bring on mike hussey to save the day wait what

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    So when did you all forget how to play cricket in the colonies then? Dearie me

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Fuuuuuu

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    What's punter doing now? The Waughs maybe?

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    sinking schooners at the members bar and loving every second, i'll wager

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    Cricket is the one sport I have any real interest in, mostly because my dad loves it and we don't have a lot of dovetailing interests, so watching the cricket together is our father/son time thing.

I am currently watching it by myself though because Dad is also a tremendous baby if his team is losing. He stormed off in a huff and said that he was going "for a drive" an hour ago. He hasn't come back yet.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    We've had it so good for so long, it's about time we let some other countries win some cricket matches for a while.

• Options
    for me, criket and ice hockey are the two greatest sports, but they're very different. ice hockey stresses me the fuck out, and i do get angry about it. cricket i tend to watch more analytically, digest more slowly, and can perhaps even appreciate more eagerly the skills of the opposing team. of course i'd love to see the aussies win this series, but i can look at a game like this right now and still watch it happily in the knowledge it'll be a great game even if the odds of a wagging tail or such a crushing attack of our own are unlikely.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    one thing that's so great about the aussie team - and we're seeing it this arvo - is how greatly improved the lower order's batting has been. agar's 98 on debut is a fine example: whatever you say about the current development system, they're really managing to bring in bowlers who can significantly contribute to the scoring. i love watching guys like johnson play, he's technically great and because the pressure is low he's able to rack up some massive totals.

you can't rely on it, of course, and that's why we've been losing. but it's almost more fun to frustrate these guys with the 7th wicket partnership than it would be to put a tonne or two on with the openers...

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    wow lyon on a hat-trick. CAN HE DO IT?

(no)

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I just woke up. WAT? Six wickets for nine runs this is bullshit.

Were England terrible or were Australia amazing?

• Options
    australia played very aggressively, johnson went with some real bodyline stuff. but you can't excuse the collapse. carberry and broad were the only two batsmen who ever looked settled.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    howzat

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    It's kinda weird how there is no good, consistent team in cricket right now, except maybe South Africa. India annihilated Australia two months ago and are now getting the same treatment in South Africa. Australia, after losing 0-4 to India, are now destroying the English, who had defeated the same Australian side 3-0 not six months ago. Nobody's got any momentum.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I've been playing a lot of the ashes cricket game so I feel ready for this

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    That's because cricket is a mental game as much as it is anything else. England's destruction began in the previous Ashes series when they couldn't always put Australia away despite how bad the Aussies were.

Also that Mitchell Johnson is actually bowling at pace regularly has been a huge difference. England's batting hasn't been good for a very long time, such as their dismal defeat to Pakistan not long ago.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    so I take it folks here saw the 4 wickets within the space of 30 runs?

was it all within 2 overs? I think it was

that shit was bananas

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    i was reading cricinfo when watson got out in the aussie's second innings and i just couldn't comprehend the description. "it was a sitter? dropped, you say? the ball did what?" i still haven't properly seen the wicket but i almost rather it that way, an infamous and elusive out that will live on in legend only...

(also missed bailey's 28 in that session. damn work.)

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    so I take it folks here saw the 4 wickets within the space of 30 runs?

was it all within 2 overs? I think it was

that shit was bananas

Ha ha ha, wickets!

Runs!

Overs!

You are the most 'Strayan.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    except those terms are not exclusive to Straya!

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Indeed, you could be a Saffa, which would be much better.

• Options
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    except those terms are not exclusive to Straya!

Well yeah, but no-one else is any good at the cricket, especially not the South Africans.

• Options
    Errr...

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    My favourite joke about this series ashes is:

It's seem ironic that Broad broke his toe. The guy that would never walk now can't.

• Options
    Don't worry Chris, I can wait until Feb to bring this all back up again.

• Options
    Tef wrote: »
    Errr...

SHUT UP I AM LIVING IN THE EARLY 2000s OKAY LEAVE ME ALONE WE'RE THE BEST EVER.

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Did anybody see the India-South Africa match? Man, what a sham. 447 overs of amazing Test Cricket followed by 3 overs of complete farce.

• Options
    Steyn just giving zero fucks as he swings like a baseball player

• Options
    Junpei wrote: »
    Steyn just giving zero fucks as he swings like a baseball player

He's got #yolo #swag

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I'm still practising maths to prep for uni.

I put it off for a long time, but finally taught myself long division. If I were to pick one moment where my future took a most terrible turn it was year 7 or 8 maths when long division was introduced. My academic flourishing took a high powered shot to he head and I dedicated the rest of my time until year 10 to drawing animal gangbangs and murder robots. In year 12, I had finally caught back up, I was on the right track, I had pulled myself from my bizarre academic grave and was prepared to conquer mathematics once again.

Then we got an indian substitute teacher with a very thick accent, who didn't typically teach math, for 2 months.

Then it was all animal murder and robot gangbangs

EDIT: Oh hell yeah I just realised why fractions were invented. I solved -0.5 x -8.6 on paper via the magic of numbers separated by little bars. I am Mathlord

The Black Hunter on