As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[East Asia] - Shinzo Abe shot, killed

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    jeffinva wrote: »
    I'm not learned on Pacific politics and economics, this century or the last. What exactly does China have to gain by all of the posturing it does?

They make it clear that they aren't going to be dicked with. Which given a couple centuries of unmitigated dicking from damn near everyone is actually kind of understandable if unfortunate.

---

Loren mostly just curious but do they have the option to change it at all and switch over to Han?

Quid on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Chinese vessel tries to make U.S. Navy ship run into it
    In a sign of the increased tensions between the United States and China on the open seas, navy vessels from the two countries almost collided in the South China Sea when a Chinese ship cut across the bow of an American cruiser, a senior United States defense official said on Saturday.

An accident was averted when the missile-carrying cruiser Cowpens, traveling in international waters, maneuvered to avoid the Chinese vessel, the official said. At the time, the American ship was observing China’s new aircraft carrier, which was also in the vicinity.

To be fair, I pretty sure the US would do the same if some one was poking around one of our new aircraft carriers.

It's a textbook move straight out of the Cold War. Unless the two countries are in a state of war, a stopped ship is considered to have the right of way due to being unable to maneuver and thus the moving ship must go around it. The US and the Soviets used to regularly dick with each other by playing chicken with SSNs.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I'm not learned on Pacific politics and economics, this century or the last. What exactly does China have to gain by all of the posturing it does?

A raging new "We are best superpower!" boner, which is mostly being used to win some domestic approval among Chinese who prefer to think fondly of this and Jade Rabbit on the moon rather then think about the smog and the multi-coloured rivers.

That and China always likes to test it's neighbors and the veracity of their various historical territorial claims.

488W936.png
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Don't forget all the resources under all that ocean.

• Options
    Morat242Morat242 Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »

A raging new "We are best superpower!" boner, which is mostly being used to win some domestic approval among Chinese who prefer to think fondly of this and Jade Rabbit on the moon rather then think about the smog and the multi-coloured rivers.

That and China always likes to test it's neighbors and the veracity of their various historical territorial claims.
    Yeah, it's an imperialist mercantilist great power playing jingoism to the population so they don't, like, protest the government. The 19th century Europe parallels are pretty striking.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Morat242 wrote: »

Yeah, it's an imperialist mercantilist great power playing jingoism to the population so they don't, like, protest the government. The 19th century Europe parallels are pretty striking.

Early 20th late 19th Century Imperial Japan is actually closer. Legitimacy built on militarism, economic expansion and finding a place in the world order through expansion.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Early 20th late 19th Century Imperial Japan is actually closer. Legitimacy built on militarism, economic expansion and finding a place in the world order through expansion.

You don't need to go back that far. In the US, we're quite content to spend more on our superpower military than the next ten world powers combined.

But fixing the tens of thousands of bridges our own overly-forgiving infrastructure inspectors have failed and are near collapse? Better to think fondly of aircraft carriers for the Persian Gulf and returning to the Moon. And there's not even a pro suicide bridge lobby--forget about something like health care reform.

I'm tempted to say you don't get to be a superpower without seriously deluding yourself. We've come to rely on libertarians as the closest thing to an anti-military industry movement, and they've backed off in the face of political suicide. That's pretty delusional.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    I guess I forgot about colonialism and the Boxer Rebellion and all that. Just did some reading and wow were the Japanese some major assholes to China. I get it now.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

You don't need to go back that far. In the US, we're quite content to spend more on our superpower military than the next ten world powers combined.

But fixing the tens of thousands of bridges our own overly-forgiving infrastructure inspectors have failed and are near collapse? Better to think fondly of aircraft carriers for the Persian Gulf and returning to the Moon. And there's not even a pro suicide bridge lobby--forget about something like health care reform.

I'm tempted to say you don't get to be a superpower without seriously deluding yourself. We've come to rely on libertarians as the closest thing to an anti-military industry movement, and they've backed off in the face of political suicide. That's pretty delusional.

Imperial and Colonial expansions which is much more what China is doing is very different American Unilateralism of the last twenty years. Do not conflate the two.

Becoming a world power/super power is a mix of luck, production capability, technical capability and a world structure that is able to absorb the new presence. WWI is Germany trying this without the last part. The rise of the US is all of these coming together at once. Same with the Soviets.

Also national focus and legitimacy and domestic politics are a huge part of this as well. We have our suicide bridges but we didn't during I would say the height of US power in the early 1990's when there was no one to challenge them.

But I am sorry US international actions in the last 20 years are not the same as many of the actions China is taking in the name of national sovereignty right now.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Synthesis wrote: »

Imperial and Colonial expansions which is much more what China is doing is very different American Unilateralism of the last twenty years. Do not conflate the two.

Becoming a world power/super power is a mix of luck, production capability, technical capability and a world structure that is able to absorb the new presence. WWI is Germany trying this without the last part. The rise of the US is all of these coming together at once. Same with the Soviets.

Also national focus and legitimacy and domestic politics are a huge part of this as well. We have our suicide bridges but we didn't during I would say the height of US power in the early 1990's when there was no one to challenge them.

But I am sorry US international actions in the last 20 years are not the same as many of the actions China is taking in the name of national sovereignty right now.

I'm glad I didn't equate to two--the notion that China is unique in ignoring domestic catastrophe in favor of international military expansion is pretty ridiculous, plain and simple. But since it's been brought up It's no less worth considering that China hasn't invaded and occupied two countries in the last decade. China's heavy-handed diplomacy is very different from that, just as you said. Even looking at the short periods of fighting Vietnam, the USSR, and India, prolonged warfare and invasions are much more like what the United States is doing than Chinese aggression. I'm not going to claim colonialism (which the United States, frankly, has far more experience with as well, by simply being a much older nation) is better or worse.

And actually, United States infrastructure and buildings had serious problems 20 years ago (as did the USSR during the height of its superpower status in the late 1970s, commonly blamed on a similar culprit: disregard for oversight), when the country was preoccupied with the No-Fly Zone over Iraq and the Balkans War. Aleksandr Lebed described the USSR in its twilight as, "A nation with an overdeveloped military industry and an primitive agricultural system." The United States, for more than 20 years, can be described as a nation with an overdeveloped military industry and a insane public healthcare system. Some people would consider that arrangement delusional, especially when the United States accounts for 40% (or more) of world military spending. You can certainly claim Chinese military spending is both aggravating relations throughout East Asia, but the state with 1/5 of the world population isn't doing almost half of its war spending.

EDIT:
    I guess I forgot about colonialism and the Boxer Rebellion and all that. Just did some reading and wow were the Japanese some major assholes to China. I get it now.

If you're overlooking the Civil War, you're also doing yourself a serious disservice. Remember the threat of Japanese Conquest. One particular Chinese leader described that as a disease of the skin, while Chinese political rivals were a disease of the heart--even at the height of Japanese atrocities. The last years of the Chinese civil war caused a very different kind of crippling damage, as is frequently the case in civil war.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    @Synthesis

I did not say it was unique. In fact I compared to Imperial Japan which it is similar. Rising power. Increasing economic and military base. Expansion against near neighbors. Breaking down of its own minority groups.

And no China has not invaded and occupied two countries in the last two decades. Since the rise of the CCP it has conquered and absorb a country post WWII. That is beyond an invasion. It has systematically moved in Han population to make sure that the native majority becomes a minority. And that was in its isolationist mode. Its recent claims include sea and land rights. It includes setting up a colony to claim an island that was recognized as some else's. I know you want to get your hate on with the US. But China is not the US in this case. Their powers, policies and pressures are different. The fact that China still has a GDP that is half of the US means they can't spend as much or nearly as much though their military spending has been rising every year for a couple of decades.

If you want you can describe China as an overly developed military and industrial infrastructure with no healthcare system, a heavily corrupt oligarchy class and an income disparity that is more like Africa than Asia. It is a country whose water problems will put in direct conflict with two nuclear powers and has aggressively pushed through threats both economic and militarily to claim control of islands that are owned by their less developed and weaker neighbors in order to control both seaways and oil.

In fact a quick breakdown of why China's current system resembles imperial Japan.

1.Nationalist based legitimacy including an education system specifically designed to reinforce this through focus on the Colonial period in China.

2.An independent and economically powerful military. The PLA is under the central committee but it is not what I would call civilian control. There has been effort since Deng to modernize and reduce its influence and independence it is still very independent and controls industries on its own.

3.Central authority around a small oligarch. In this case it is the princelings instead of the competing interest of the Navy and Army in Japan but the PLA generals are part of that group.

4.Expansionist need focused on natural resources in order make sure China is self sufficient as possible. No matter how awful the Japanese were in the 1930's, their expansion into the South Pacific, SE Asia and China was very much tied to natural resources. Macro level goals do not equal micro level actions.

5.Forced hanization of its minorities. China is working very hard to reduce the percentage of minorities in its minority centered regions like Tibet and Xinjiang. Again, Japan tried to de-Korea Korea. China is doing much the same but using its greatest strength, population.

6.Aggressive modernization of the military. Again Japan was able to beat a "Western" nation by 1904 with the Russo-Japanese war. China is working on developing a blue water navy and becoming the main "modern" military in the region.

These are just a short list. The main difference and why China is more like Japan in the late Meiji through early Showa period is because it is a rising power searching for its place in the power structure of the world. Japan and Germany caused World Wars because many of the structures we have now to integrate now powers didn't exist. There is still a chance China will go to these new structures like UNCLOS, WTO and UN itself to secure its place in world order. Or it can go through the traditional routes of bullying, aggression and possible war which is what its current actions have.

I would not compare it to the US and its flailing during the period where it was the only Super Power. Especially since it seems we are moving more a multipolar system from our current unipolar system.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Also to show some reactions to China. Which is part of Abe's ascension though mostly he got in because he was trying something new to end the stagnation.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/17/us-japan-security-idUSBRE9BG02S20131217

Great quote showing China's recent increased militarism.
    In the two decades through last year, Japan remained the sixth-biggest military spender, just behind Britain, with outlays rising 13 percent in constant 2011 dollar terms, according to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute. By contrast, China's Defense spending exploded more than five-fold, vaulting the country to second place from seventh.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    This just in: Japan tells China "No no no no, fuuuuuuuck you."

Also the Koreas.

• Options
    In real news, sorry Yasukuni is basically Asian kabuki theater for domestic groups, we have China's growth estimates coming in at 7.6% so in reality probably about 7.3%. Lowest since the Asian Financial Crisis of 97-98.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/26/us-china-economy-idUSBRE9BP00K20131226

And US and Japan signing an agreement on the base in Okinawa which has been basically up in the air for about a decade and a mess. Part of this includes the shift of personal to Guam and Australia from Japan.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/27/us-japan-usa-okinawa-idUSBRE9BQ0AC20131227

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Man, I read about Asian politics and foreign policy from the last couple centuries and all really see is a whole bunch of "I LEARNED THIS FROM YOOOOOOOOOUUUU DAD!!!" Where Dad is the British and the Americans.

• Options
    Man, I read about Asian politics and foreign policy from the last couple centuries and all really see is a whole bunch of "I LEARNED THIS FROM YOOOOOOOOOUUUU DAD!!!" Where Dad is the British and the Americans.

This can be said about a lot of the parts of the world that had big issues with Colonialism. Especially certain groups that went from being the regional heavy hitter to being cut into small pieces.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    How are the names enshrined at that place? It'd be a cool-but-will-never-happen PR move to chisel the offending names out of the shrine.

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    How are the names enshrined at that place? It'd be a cool-but-will-never-happen PR move to chisel the offending names out of the shrine.

It is more a spirit thing. I have been there once but the shrine area was closed. But it isn't a wall. It is more that the souls get enshrined through a ceremony. Actually the war criminals were put in later after Japan was more on its feet and the rise of the conservatives in the late 1950's.

Think of it more like the US WWII memorial and all the other memorials combined but Vietnam, it isn't a giant wall of fallen. More like their spirits and memories and sacrifices for their country are enshrined.

Really though it is domestic political kabuki that is gone through every year. The Japanese conservatives do it for their more hardcore nationalist base. The Koreans and Chinese really play it up for their nationalist base to focus problems towards Japan instead of problems at home and then after a few months it calms down.

The thing is the actual spiritual leader of Japan or at least supposedly for Shinto is the Emperor and they haven't visited or recognized the shrine since 1978. And it is has always been the more conservative wings of the Diet who visit.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Darklyre wrote: »
    Chinese vessel tries to make U.S. Navy ship run into it
    In a sign of the increased tensions between the United States and China on the open seas, navy vessels from the two countries almost collided in the South China Sea when a Chinese ship cut across the bow of an American cruiser, a senior United States defense official said on Saturday.

An accident was averted when the missile-carrying cruiser Cowpens, traveling in international waters, maneuvered to avoid the Chinese vessel, the official said. At the time, the American ship was observing China’s new aircraft carrier, which was also in the vicinity.

To be fair, I pretty sure the US would do the same if some one was poking around one of our new aircraft carriers.

It's a textbook move straight out of the Cold War. Unless the two countries are in a state of war, a stopped ship is considered to have the right of way due to being unable to maneuver and thus the moving ship must go around it. The US and the Soviets used to regularly dick with each other by playing chicken with SSNs.

I remember once a story about how the US managed to find the location of a substantial number of the soviet sub fleet and followed them around, and all pinged the soviet subs at once just to freak them out

Cold war naval exercises were a multi decade multi billion dollar international trolling event

override367 on
  • Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

The big thing here is that it was the Yakuza. No surprise considering they are the largest owners of construction and realty companies in Japan which is one of their major fronts.

Organized Crime no matter how ingrained in society is still organized crime.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

The big thing here is that it was the Yakuza. No surprise considering they are the largest owners of construction and realty companies in Japan which is one of their major fronts.

Organized Crime no matter how ingrained in society is still organized crime.

I could see the GOP applauding and adopting this.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Taiwan is having issues maintaining the size their armed forces, as more and more people are seeing military service as a waste of time. A year of your life gone, and all to fight a foe many see and unbeatable. Many Taiwanese also don't want to fight their fellow Chinese.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25085323

As an American, it was interesting to read. I think that China would invade Taiwan if they could get away with it. American is bound by law to defend Taiwan. If China did invade Taiwan (however unlikely), American soldiers would likely fight in the war. Thus, America gets to send its sons and daughters to die in a war many Taiwanese do not want to fight.

Also a look inside North Korea's film industry. Many antagonists are American, with a few Japanese. But their are rarely South Korean antagonists, and many South Koreans in North Korean films eventually see the light of communism.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23251187

• Options
    As an American, it was interesting to read. I think that China would invade Taiwan if they could get away with it.

I don't. I think it'd fly in the face of everything they've worked toward in taking back old territories. I'm sure the fifty year plan is working out just fine as far as the PRC government's concerned.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Perhaps better wording would be that there still are people in the Chinese government who would do so, even if the current government would not do so. China is currently having a peaceful rise, but one big reshuffle could see that changed.

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

They make it clear that they aren't going to be dicked with. Which given a couple centuries of unmitigated dicking from damn near everyone is actually kind of understandable if unfortunate.

---

Loren mostly just curious but do they have the option to change it at all and switch over to Han?

Woah how long has this been lurking in plain sight. Sorry, no, not as far as I can tell and anyone has reported to me.

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »

---

Woah how long has this been lurking in plain sight. Sorry, no, not as far as I can tell and anyone has reported to me.

Wow. Dick move, China.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Taiwan is having issues maintaining the size their armed forces, as more and more people are seeing military service as a waste of time. A year of your life gone, and all to fight a foe many see and unbeatable. Many Taiwanese also don't want to fight their fellow Chinese.

As an American, it was interesting to read. I think that China would invade Taiwan if they could get away with it. American is bound by law to defend Taiwan. If China did invade Taiwan (however unlikely), American soldiers would likely fight in the war. Thus, America gets to send its sons and daughters to die in a war many Taiwanese do not want to fight.

Also a look inside North Korea's film industry. Many antagonists are American, with a few Japanese. But their are rarely South Korean antagonists, and many South Koreans in North Korean films eventually see the light of communism.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23251187

Yeah, they don't see the South as the enemy, so much as "misguided". I mean why wouldn't they want to live in Best Korea?

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I mean why wouldn't they want to live in Best Korea?

I remember reading in a National Geographic a couple years back about how the North used to play propaganda over loudspeakers 24/7 to entice South Koreans to hop the border. "Come over, brothers, and share a hot bowl of rice with us." I assume it was far more annoying than tempting to hear phrases like that over and over again.

• Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    Perhaps better wording would be that there still are people in the Chinese government who would do so, even if the current government would not do so. China is currently having a peaceful rise, but one big reshuffle could see that changed.

Taiwan would fight an aggressive invasion on top of the US stepping in. There are still a good chunk looking for independence and those okay with joining with the mainland want a deal where they are independent but part of China like Hong Kong. An invasion would very much destroy that possibility and Taiwan would fight back as much as possible. Taiwan though also is the bottom of the birthrate in East Asia at about 1.11 kids per woman and that is having all sorts of social issues.

Taiwan does not want to lose what it has built for the last 60 years.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular

Taiwan would fight an aggressive invasion on top of the US stepping in. There are still a good chunk looking for independence and those okay with joining with the mainland want a deal where they are independent but part of China like Hong Kong. An invasion would very much destroy that possibility and Taiwan would fight back as much as possible. Taiwan though also is the bottom of the birthrate in East Asia at about 1.11 kids per woman and that is having all sorts of social issues.

Also China takes an immediate kick to the nads economically as Taiwanese investment is significant sector of their economy. Plus American and European outrage, if not expressed militarily might find expression in sanctions...

• Options
    Rchanen wrote: »

Also China takes an immediate kick to the nads economically as Taiwanese investment is significant sector of their economy. Plus American and European outrage, if not expressed militarily might find expression in sanctions...

If China attacked militarily, US would intervene. EU though could cripple China by cutting trade. They are one of China's largest trade partners. EU is ahead of the US when it comes to trade with China so yeah that would be kind of soul crushing for the CCP.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    This is pretty interesting. You would think Un would be aware that not sucking China's dick would be hazardous to his health.

Ironically, China is dual hatted with protecting North Korea and trade (and therefore Seoul.) And that's bad because "if I fall I'm taking Seoul and the world economy with me" works just as well on China as it does the West.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    I kind of want to hope the newspaper is just making shit up, which I would totally believe. But I don't know, I wouldn't say North Korea wouldn't do that.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

It's no surprise that the youth of Taiwan see their compulsory military service as a waste of time. That's a pretty universal opinion shared by conscripts throughout history with very few exceptions.

You're also looking at a generation where the Chinese Civil War is something that happened 70 years ago - something that happened to their great grandparents. Of course after that long, invasion seems (and is) unlikely. You are absolutely correct in that Taiwan doesn't want to fight that war, but in the unlikely event that China attempts an invasion, you probably will see that attitude change immediately throughout most of the population.

Sure, America would be fighting alongside Taiwan - they are one of our closest allies in Asia. That doesn't mean we would be doing all the fighting while the population of Taiwan sit by and do nothing.

I can't really imagine the sequence of events that would lead to an actual invasion in today's world though. China seems to have a long view and are so economically linked to Taiwan (and Taiwan's allies) that an honest to god shooting war would devastate them economically. China doesn't have - now or in the foreseeable (and honestly, distant) future the ability to attempt an honest to god invasion with any chance of success. Long term economic integration and eventual alignment with Taiwan (as opposed to Taiwan aligning with the United States) is their goal...and probably what will happen in the next 50 years or so.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    The scariest part of that entire story is that apparently Un -watched- his Uncle get eaten alive by dogs.

I feel really -really- bad for his wife. If she's still alive.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I don't believe he was eaten alive by 120 dogs. I'd believe a firing squad, I'd believe a hanging, I'd even believe beheading with a guillotine but 120 dogs sounds too much like a tall tale.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I don't believe he was eaten alive by 120 dogs. I'd believe a firing squad, I'd believe a hanging, I'd even believe beheading with a guillotine but 120 dogs sounds too much like a tall tale.

This is North Korea. James Bond super-villainy isn't completely off the table.

Harry Dresden on
This discussion has been closed.