Options

How cold is it where you are?

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    When it's 40 below and fog rolls in.....
    553171_10152164430669796_1332593370_n.jpg

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Everything feels so dead outside when it gets really cold. It's creepy sometimes.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Everything feels so dead outside when it gets really cold. It's creepy sometimes.

We have some really big crows/ravens up here. They do not go south for the winter. I don't know how they can survive it.

There's also Ptarmigans, the dumbest bird on the planet. They're all white, really fat, and end up as roadkill because they don't move out of the way of cars.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

We have some really big crows/ravens up here. They do not go south for the winter. I don't know how they can survive it.

There's also Ptarmigans, the dumbest bird on the planet. They're all white, really fat, and end up as roadkill because they don't move out of the way of cars.

Your second statement answers the first.

• Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    Taking the bus when it feels like -37 C truly is the worst. Thankfully I bought a new down filled parka, ski pants and new boots in the fall all rated to -40 C, so I was moderately warm while I waited for 20 minutes...

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    -40 again today, but it felt like JESUS FUCK IT'S COLD OUT degrees.

10 minute walk to work and my goatee was coated in ice.

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    hE487DF72

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    No, that's just what December looks like in Florida

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

It was in the 60s for most of the day.

I wore a hoodie. It's fine out now though.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Jean wrote: »
    hE487DF72

Is it wrong that I saw that and the phrase "red rocket" immediately came to mind?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »

A hoodie? In the 60s I'm trying to figure out how to get my t-shirt sleeves to stay rolled up.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

A hoodie? In the 60s I'm trying to figure out how to get my t-shirt sleeves to stay rolled up.

Keep in mind that with how humid Florida is, it's always a wet cold that steal all of your warmth.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »

Keep in mind that with how humid Florida is, it's always a wet cold that steal all of your warmth.

Sounds like San Francisco. 50 degrees (F) is more miserable here than freezing back home.

• Options
    ronzo wrote: »

When it is 40 and pouring rain, I'm just thinking about maybe wearing a light jacket. Maybe.

Today it was 15 degrees, and I was wearing that light jacket with some thin gloves. We northerners are made of tougher stuff. ;-)
    Until it's over 70, then we turn into big babies.

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    When I first turned on my car this morning it was 9 degrees Fahrenheit/-13 Celsius. By the time I got to work it had gotten up to a balmy 12F; it got a bit warmer during the brief hours of sunshine but is now dropping below 10 again, and will probaby get down to 5F/-15C tonight.

Fucking Maine. And this is after moving three highway-hours south.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I may be misreading it, but it seems like you're saying -40 isn't already Jesus Fuck Its Cold Outside by the simple virtue of being -40 fucking degrees.

• Options

I may be misreading it, but it seems like you're saying -40 isn't already Jesus Fuck Its Cold Outside by the simple virtue of being -40 fucking degrees.

Windchill can make a relatively benign temperature feel horrible, and lack of wind can make relatively terrible temperature feel tolerable.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I made another important discovery taking the trash of this morning: Snowy slopes are slippery. Use the sidewalk.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013

My favorite thing about it.

Meanwhile, looks like more snow is going to get dumped on us here. Meh. Hate shoveling snow.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    We're looking at up to 12 inches here, but it's so cold that it should be easy to shovel. No wet, sticky, heavy snow here!

• Options
    edited December 2013

I'm assuming that's a typo. Where the hell is it -40? Nunavut?

As an aside, -40 is the best temperature, by virtue of being the same in Fahrenheit and Celsius.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Kaputa wrote: »

I'm assuming that's a typo. Where the hell is it -40? Nunavut?

As an aside, -40 is the best temperature, by virtue of being the same in Fahrenheit and Celsius.

He's in Yellowknife, and from what I read about their average temps (For December it's -20 C for a high temp) I don't think -40 is completely unheard of, but probably rare.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    -40 is probably not rare in Yellowknife

• Options
    Al_wat wrote: »
    -40 is probably not rare in Yellowknife

Probably not.

I'd just assume it'd be more of a January/February thing.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    It's generally never too bad until the slightest amount of wind kicks in.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    It's generally never too bad until the slightest amount of wind kicks in.

This seems to depend on humidity.

The wind when I lived in Maryland was bad, but the wind here in Oklahoma is apparently made out of gamma radiation because it goes through everything. I mean, you could be nice and toasty in 3 layers (including a windbreaker) and you get one decent bit of wind and it feels like you may as well be naked.

• Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    -40 doesn't care if there's wind. -40 will rake your exposed skin and claw your eyes out, just to be playful.

MentalExercise on
    "More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    -40 doesn't care if there's wind. -40 will rake your exposed skin and claw your eyes out, just to be playful.

Never experienced anything below the negative teens (in °F). I was in Alaska when it was really really cold, but I was snug and warm in the airport.

• Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular

Never experienced anything below the negative teens (in °F). I was in Alaska when it was really really cold, but I was snug and warm in the airport.

I think the coldest non-windchill temperature I've ever experienced was in the -30s. It was unpleasantly chilly.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    -40 is pretty normal for Jan/Feb in Yellowknife, yes. It's a little early in the winter for -40, but yesterday was awful. As soon as I stepped outside I felt like my nose had instantly turned to granite. However, Yellowknife can also be very windy. Which is where last year's -50 really hit hard.

Anyway, here's the thing about climatization. It's -31 this morning and I dressed light. -31 is comfortable to me now. :P

• Options
    -40 is pretty normal for Jan/Feb in Yellowknife, yes. It's a little early in the winter for -40, but yesterday was awful. As soon as I stepped outside I felt like my nose had instantly turned to granite. However, Yellowknife can also be very windy. Which is where last year's -50 really hit hard.

Anyway, here's the thing about climatization. It's -31 this morning and I dressed light. -31 is comfortable to me now. :P

Your world is weird.

Of course if I told you 21C is nearly hoodie weather where I'm from, you'd probably think I was crazy as well.

You figure it regularly gets above 41C here for three months, though.

• Options

Your world is weird.

Of course if I told you 21C is nearly hoodie weather where I'm from, you'd probably think I was crazy as well.

You figure it regularly gets above 41C here for three months, though.

Yeah, 21C is by no means hoodie weather. Acclimatization is weird.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Manhattan is having some very dramatic looking weather

wj1eAI4.png

9trWw9e.png

The tower you can just see in the background is the empire state building:
    PEeu1JI.png

OoSwk9H.png

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    I kind of love snow. I need a nice snowstorm here.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    hE487DF72

See that part at the bottom where it says 82? That's where I live. Honestly I don't think I could live north of Georgia. We hit 60 and people are breaking out the parkas.

• Options

Wow. I can't imagine what -40 must feel like. I thought I was fairly hardy when it came to the cold, but once it drops below 0F I am generally not okay with the situation. I'm honestly surprised you can even breathe the air at that temperature.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Krieghund wrote: »
    hE487DF72

See that part at the bottom where it says 82? That's where I live. Honestly I don't think I could live north of Georgia. We hit 60 and people are breaking out the parkas.

Parka at 60 F? Those people are fucking weak. I'd understand hoodies or something, maybe a lighter coat, but winter gear?

Wow. I can't imagine what -40 must feel like. I thought I was fairly hardy when it came to the cold, but once it drops below 0F I am generally not okay with the situation. I'm honestly surprised you can even breathe the air at that temperature.

You can, but it's not very pleasant. I think the coldest I've been was -38C, and that was pretty miserable. Then again, it was also really windy. Generally you don't want to take big heaping lungfuls of air, but shallower breaths in order to let it be less of a shock.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    46° F, warm rain for the season earlier. Going to be sunny and 50 by the time I leave to watch The Hobbit. Reehaa.

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    hE487DF72

Is it wrong that I saw that and the phrase "red rocket" immediately came to mind?

It looks like all of the blood ran to America's wang. I wonder if we will make even worse decisions than usual... :p

• Options
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »
    hE487DF72

Parka at 60 F? Those people are fucking weak. I'd understand hoodies or something, maybe a lighter coat, but winter gear?

You can, but it's not very pleasant. I think the coldest I've been was -38C, and that was pretty miserable. Then again, it was also really windy. Generally you don't want to take big heaping lungfuls of air, but shallower breaths in order to let it be less of a shock.

I'm pretty fat, and I have a fast walking pace, so I'm huffing and puffing when I get to my building.

It's fine. You really don't notice that so long as you're dressed correctly.