As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How cold is it where you are?

• Options
    hemmelighthemmelight Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    At home in the GTA it's been pretty cold.

I'm in Melbourne right now and it got to fucking 38°c in my part of the city, but downtown was 41° the other day. Ugh.

hemmelight on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    The thing about freezing rain is that it gets way overhyped in the media. Usually, when freezing rain is mentioned as a possibility, you usually end up getting either rain or snow instead. Freezing rain or ice storms are pretty rare, but really super dramatic when they occur. So of course the 10 o'clock news plays up the drama whenever it can

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    The thing about freezing rain is that it gets way overhyped in the media. Usually, when freezing rain is mentioned as a possibility, you usually end up getting either rain or snow instead. Freezing rain or ice storms are pretty rare, but really super dramatic when they occur. So of course the 10 o'clock news plays up the drama whenever it can

We've had freezing rain 3 times this year. Its actually pretty common in certain areas in the midsection of the USA

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Yeah for once we got actual rain freezing into ice on stuff. It sucked super bad.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I worked a night shift last night. When i wrnt to my car in the morning to go home it was encased in ice. Tonight is supposed to be even worse

• Options
    Man i just saw a picture in the paper of people ice skating down the middle of roads in toronto

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I fucking hate this weather. I only work a couple of days of work a week and the last two friday/saturdays have been cancelled due to people not wanting to drive in this shit. God damn I wish it would just go below zero and stay there so that we'd get snow instead of this miserable sludge turning everything to Ice.

• Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    It was 50 F in Boston today.

I went for a run.

If only the temperature at the start of Winter was the MINIMUM temperature for the rest of Winter.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Outside the environment is cold and encased in ice.

Inside it's dark because the power went out.

I am on my phone and probably just going to go to bed in a min even though I'm not really that tired yet.

488W936.png
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular

We've had freezing rain 3 times this year. Its actually pretty common in certain areas in the midsection of the USA

It "freezing rain"ed on me twice last weekend, but it was spitting and sporadic through the day... like, not even a drizzle each time. But it was totally raining frozen drops... or drops that froze to everything instantly.

Anyway, nowhere near the horror that the media means when they scare everyone about freezing rain or ice storms... or what "central Canada"--the GTA etc. were supposed to be getting... not and through tonight. Hopefully things are better than expected!!

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Think I'm going to open up all the windows today.

At least til this storm rolls through.

• Options
    Holy fuck this ice

There is literally an inch of ice on everything

Like when i said yesterday my car was encased in ice? It was nothing. Like an eigth or sixteenth of an inch. Today, a full inch.

Huge tree branches fallen everywhere

No power

Cars upside down in the ditch on the side of the highway

I wonder how this compares to that huge ice storm in quebec a few years back

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    LaOs wrote: »

It "freezing rain"ed on me twice last weekend, but it was spitting and sporadic through the day... like, not even a drizzle each time. But it was totally raining frozen drops... or drops that froze to everything instantly.

Anyway, nowhere near the horror that the media means when they scare everyone about freezing rain or ice storms... or what "central Canada"--the GTA etc. were supposed to be getting... not and through tonight. Hopefully things are better than expected!!

This is what it looks like here, not exactly a horror show. It's actually kinda pretty.

1525405_679378755416497_1082971299_n.jpgF

The freezing rain storm we had a few years ago knocked out power so hard we were about to run out of clean water (no power at the water purification plant), and the amount of tree branches we picked up (on Fort Sill) covered a half-mile squared area about 15 feet high, and that took months to clean up with thousands of people working every day.

We had something like 20 or 30 million dollars worth of damage, and a lot of people were without power for many weeks.

Freezing rain is very bad, but for it to be the horror show the media says it requires the perfect storm of elements. That, thankfully, is fairly rare.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    We had freezing rain up here early last winter, but it's unusual because the temp drops so fast.

It was just a mild shower, I can't imagine the kind of chaos it must be in Eastern Canada.

• Options
    1174908_679834642037575_231826966_n.jpg

LOOK WE'VE FOUND THE MAGIC FOREST

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    For how much damage freezing rain can cause, it sure is pretty.

• Options
    For how much damage freezing rain can cause, it sure is pretty.

It looks like a fairy tale in my town.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    hemmelight wrote: »
    At home in the GTA it's been pretty cold.

I'm in Melbourne right now and it got to fucking 38°c in my part of the city, but downtown was 41° the other day. Ugh.

It has been 21-25 here in the northern South Island. Much more civilised

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Bleh, stupid fucking warm wind. It's been raining for a week, and the temperature is low enough to be chilly, but high enough to discount any possibility of snow.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    It was a nice and balmy 30F or so this afternoon so I opened the windows to let some fresh air into the living room.

Veevee on
  • Options
    It's about 23 out right now. I'm going to take two weeks off and become a hermit.

• Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    According to to HUD in my car it was 33° F on a drive this morning, but by magic I don't understand that happens occasionally in Virginia Beach it felt more like 45. Proximity to the bay and ocean or something.

• Options
    Well, the ocean is basically a huge heat battery, so if its heated up, it takes a long time to cool down. Hence the coastal areas are usually a lot warmer even in the north.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    In the summer, Korea is Mississippi hot/humid. Now its snowing at sub freezing temperatures, and later in January, siberian winds will bring deadly wind chill.

These South Koreans give no fucks. They hike mountains in polos and khaki pants in the summer, and the women walk around in skirts in the winter.

I'm going to learn to ski here next month.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    In the summer, Korea is Mississippi hot/humid. Now its snowing at sub freezing temperatures, and later in January, siberian winds will bring deadly wind chill.

These South Koreans give no fucks. They hike mountains in polos and khaki pants in the summer, and the women walk around in skirts in the winter.

Nice! Have fun, skiing can be a bit harsh at first, but it's very fun and rewarding once you get the hang of it.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    It rained almost for the entire time I dove around the coast of the South Island, almost 700km. Hard, steady rain of a type I've not seen for years. Hooray for the Southern Ocean and Lord Neptune's rage.

It is pretty disconcerting sliding about on a narrow road hugging a rocky coast. That being said it was warm enough for both the surfers and seals to frolic about.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular

It always amused me to see the skirts get shorter as the winter got colder. Like you said, it gets damn cold in SK.

In my second contract in Busan, I absolutely refused to go out and buy a winter coat, insisting I could get by with layering. That mostly worked for Busan, but we went up to Seoul during February and it almost broke me. One of my more stubborn moments...

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »

It always amused me to see the skirts get shorter as the winter got colder. Like you said, it gets damn cold in SK.

In my second contract in Busan, I absolutely refused to go out and buy a winter coat, insisting I could get by with layering. That mostly worked for Busan, but we went up to Seoul during February and it almost broke me. One of my more stubborn moments...

You shop for electronics in Seoul.

You shop for clothes in Peyongtek.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    It's been around -25C since I got up this morning and the wind has been howling all day so it's probably closer to -35 out.

The worst part however is that you only find out how terribly insulated your house is on days like this. I've had a fire roaring all day and my back room is only around the 15-16 mark while the front of the house is 17-18. This got me on the prowl for cold air getting in and I found a gap along the bottom of the front door which I filled in, also found out that the doorsweep on the back door is completely messed up and there is a gap below it, not much I can do right now since it's the main door so I just put some blankets down. I also went to the basement to find something and found a huge hole where the dryer vent goes outside, just waiting on a can of spray foam to fix that one up since the truck won't start.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    A whopping 5F and snowing an hour west of Boston (-11 with the wind).

Thank god the snow is super light and fluffy, shoveling could really have sucked.

• Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    Some (if not all) of the universities in Boston have been closed for tomorrow.

I had 4.5 hours of class scheduled.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    finally getting cold in boston.

working from home today and tomorrow. then a weekend.

hopefully we'll be dug out by monday

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    The snow's started down here. There were great huge flakes earlier but now it's just small ones. Only expecting a couple inches.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    It finally warmed up! It's been below -40 for a week and today it's a balmy, comfortable -26. :D

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    Roughly the same here. This has been one of the coldest December in my entire life, I think, and 2014 is very cold so far.

New cold records today all over Québec

Baie-Comeau : -37
    Témiscaming :-34.2
    Val-d'Or : -41.2
    Québec City : -33.9

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    Balmy -23 here today... was a bit cold where I grew up (-41) so it was a nice change when this is probably as cold as it will get this winter. The ice storm a week or so ago was pretty rough - we had about 4cm of ice on everything, power was on and off for two days but given the regularity of ice storms in this part of the world we don't suffer too badly. Regular ice storms keep wild tree growth in check so there are no massive power outages.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Not as cold as some, but St. John's is getting dumped on with snow. 100 cm (about 40in in American) of snow in dec

• Options
    It actually snowed about four inches over night.

Well, shit. I guess I should have bought a snow shovel.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Got down to 19 when I woke up this morning. Supposed to be around 9F on Monday night.

Places up in MN and IA are supposed to hit like -20F or something.

• Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    Not as cold as some places people live, but still the last week has been bad here in Manitoba. This story has also been making the rounds on Winnipeg news and appearing a lot in my friends facebook posts :P

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/geekquinox/frigid-winnipeg-temperatures-reach-cold-planet-mars-204225571.html

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho