Options

Starbound Beta: A New Stable Release May or May Not be Available.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    also this crafting menu is horrifying

i've got hella copper, how do i make a better tool

Well first you need to make other things and fight a boss.

Then you can save up the relevant materials + boss item to make the thing for crafting with metal.

Or that's my loose understanding that I picked up from what people were saying to me earlier, I was still trying to work out the controls at that point so I may have misunderstood.

You absolutely can craft an anvil before you fight the first boss. You just need a crafting bench.

And the crafting menu is easy. Hit C to craft or E to use a workbench, anvil, etc then click on the thing you wanna craft in the menu.

Oh, I didn't know the anvil did anything on it's own, I thought it was just a component of the metal...thing that you can make.

I blame Weaver for twinking people out and making things confusing. 8->

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Never not blame Weaver for something

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    So this game is taking for forever to load. Is that normal?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    So this game is taking for forever to load. Is that normal?

it does for me as well

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    Yea, this game doesn't seem to load well, or interact well with itself. Not that I mind, but the issues seem to be really common

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    fyQ2wd9.jpg

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I found a planet that was frog temples all the way down.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Nice shot of my treehouse annex to the Apex base!

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    I was all about Avians

but hylatls are

they're

totes adorbs

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    @Seriously you can add this to the op if there is room.

As promised here is my somewhat helpful guide of collected info:

Beginner Tips/Getting Started:

CONTROLS
    WASD movement with cursor aiming.
    Spacebar to jump.
    E to interact with objects in the environment (IE: crafting bench, door, harvest plants, campfire, etc).
    Q drops the selected item.
    Menu hotkeys such as C for crafting, I for inventory, N to inspect things in the environment.
    Right-click a stack to divide it in half.
    Shift-click an item to move it from slots like toolbar and chests to your inventory and vice-versa.
    F key is used to activate tech powers such as the Mech.​

GETTING STARTED
    It's wise to use the 3D Printer aboard your ship to copy the seeds you start out with. To interact with the 3D Printer, press the E key when you're next to it. Once you scan them into the printer, you are easily able to copy them for only 1 Px apiece. Not sure you can copy seeds with it in the latest patch, but it should still be useful.

In order to actually use the seeds, you will need a gardening hoe. To craft a hoe, you will need cobblestone and wood. Gather them with the matter manipulator you are given at the beginning, and press C to open your crafting window. From there, craft some wooden planks and then, using the planks, craft a workbench. The workbench will allow you to craft the essential Iron Anvil among other useful tools. Once you have crafted your gardening hoe, find (or make) a fairly long, flat stretch of dirt. Use the hoe on the dirt and then use the seeds on the tilled land. After a wait, the seeds will grow. In order to harvest them, you should activate them as you would a crafting station or a door. This will give you the grown item as well as a seed or two back that you can plant again.

It's to build a shelter early as well. Monsters gets nastier at night and you will want some protection. Once you're settled in, with a decent crop, you can begin working on crafting other things.

HELPFUL TIPS
    • Not all creatures are hostile. Most of them are.
    • Do NOT swim in green liquid. This is poison and will kill you. Not instantly, but leaves a DoT on you for a short time even after leaving the liquid.
    • Moon planets tend to drop temperature very quickly, but contain a lot of ores, with no trees. Bring warm clothes and fire.
    • Arid planets have no trees, okay temperature and a good amount of ores, but it seems like it has stronger monsters.
    • Forest planets are just "ordinary" planets.
    • Every race has different starting armour and weapon recipes.
    • The thermometer that sometimes pops up shows temperature. If the bar empties, you tend to die.
    • At night, all creatures become stronger, and more seem to spawn.
    • You can left-click to build, but you can also right click to build a background.
    • Some crafting recipes unlock new crafting recipes. (Copper armour unlocks silver armour for example.)
    • Holding the attack button while using a bow increases attack damage and range. Releasing when it flashes fire a much more powerful shot.
    • The shift key has many uses. You can mine/build in a 1x1 area with it, and it allows you to walk.
    • The Ctrl key can be used to extend your view in the direction of the cursor. Very handy in caves.
    • Blueprints are used in the same way as food. Simply equip it, and click. This will allow you to craft whatever is on the blueprint. The same applies to found tech too.
    • You can repair tools with the tool's respective ore. For example, right clicking a damaged copper pickaxe while holding copper ore will restore some of its durability.
    • Use a hunting bow or hunting knife if you want meat or leather. If you kill a monster with anything else, they'll usually drop pixels.
    • Using coal, you can fuel your space ship. Simply open the fuel tank and drop in the materials. Unrefined wood also works, however it isn't nearly as efficient.
    • The Distress Beacon summons the first boss. Don't fight him until you're ready!
    • When looking for meat/leather weaken the monster with your weapon and last hit with the bow. Bows tend to do less damage.
    • Middle Mouse Button has the same functionality as "E", and is often more convenient to use.
    • A very useful combat strategy is to have a one-handed weapon plus either flashlight or bandages in your "L/R" quick slots. That way, you can either fight in the dark, or fight and heal without changing slots.
    • Also regarding combat, be careful around cliffs, or on top of hills. Monsters deal significant knockback, and even a weak monster can send you flying down, instakilling you with fall damage.
    • Pressing "X" toggles between your "L/R" slots and the last non-L/R-slot you selected. This effectively allows you to toggle between two equipment sets in a heartbeat (for example, Sword+Flashlight <-> Bow).
    • The "armor" rating in your inventory isn't just the total of armor points from your equipment; it's more of a general rating to tell you which monsters you can battle without problems (armor 5, for example, means you can handle level 5 monsters pretty well). The last balance patch totally reworked armor and weapons. I don't know what = what anymore.
    • Before traveling to a planet, be aware that (at least in the early stages), monsters on it seem to be about 1-2 levels higher than its "danger" rating at day, and about 3 levels higher at night.
    • Do not travel to a planet with a difficulty rating significantly higher than your current armor level. You may get stranded with no fuel, and hordes of instakilling monsters on the surface.This has also changed due to Threat levels only going from 1-10 now while armor is different. Basically the tier of armor should match the threat level of the planet, but I haven't worked out which tier is which armor wise yet.
    • The most efficient way to fuel your spaceship earlygame is unrefined wood. Craft an axe, fell a few trees and you've got plenty of fuel to go and explore the universe.Wood no longer fuels ships.
    • Upgrade your hunting bow to an iron bow as soon as you can. It's not that expensive, and is an extremely useful upgrade early on.
    • You can customize many aspects of your ship. You can, for example, place blocks or platforms for additional floors, and remove/replace the background walls! You can put all your crafting stations and a bed on your ship for easier access.
    • If you find a village, press E / MMB on every NPC. Some are traders, and often provide interesting weapons or cheap food.
    • Village people don't mind if you take their village with you. Take all the materials and furniture you want - and don't forget to look in all containers (chests, crates, lockers...), as they often contain useful stuff.
    • Try not to display your weapon publicly in a village. The guards tend to get nervous about that.
    • Also, if a monster attacks you close to a village, do not hit it - instead, try to lure it away. Otherwise, you will soon find 10 guards chasing after you.
    • If you start to freeze, an effective way to counter it is placing a torch very close to you. This only works for moderately cold environments; it won't stop you from freezing on moons, for example.
    • You will lose pixels whenever you die.
    • Be careful with shift-clicking items around. If the destination storage is full and you shift-click an item into it, it will disappear forever. This is a bug and will likely get fixed soon, just be cautious.
    • Regarding storage, be aware that, when playing online, everyone can access all storage units (including the shiplocker) in your ship. Play with people you trust, or hide your treasures on a secret planet.
    • If you fell a tree and it only drops "plant fibre", don't be disappointed. First, it's extremely useful for making bandages (low-tier healing items). Second, just walk on - there's bound to be other trees on the planet which give you actual wood.
    • Ores buried in sand, gravel or other gravity-affected materials are easy to harvest. Just mine the sand underneath, and the displacement will cause all ores to separate from the blocks and convert to item-form.

Background is important.
    1. Best way to drain water is to break background (with right click). This only seems to work until a certain depth.
    2. When you are mining for some specific material, dig background. Background can have ores as well.

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Damn that is a useful post, i was doing so many of those things the wrong way

• Options
    ThrakeshThrakesh Registered User regular
    Little advice from my limited play time last night:

You can steal the lights and door from your ship for use in your first base. The lights require you to use a right-click with the manipulator. I found them handy for lighting up the area around the base.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    If you find a USMC base, harvest the hell out of their lighting (and everything else you can easily break). Flourescant lighting is amaaaazing. Unless you are a fancy Glitch Gentleman, then you need to get as many forges and grand fireplaces as you can reasonably find. Also: a crown!

Anyone know how to use dyes? I have so many dyes and so little understanding of how they work.

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    If you find a USMC base, harvest the hell out of their lighting (and everything else you can easily break). Flourescant lighting is amaaaazing. Unless you are a fancy Glitch Gentleman, then you need to get as many forges and grand fireplaces as you can reasonably find. Also: a crown!

Anyone know how to use dyes? I have so many dyes and so little understanding of how they work.

I don't believe dyes currently work at this stage of the beta.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    you might want to add that sleeping in a bed or tent will heal you.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Flying enemies are kinda infutiating and unfun to deal with.

They have this gigantic aggro radius, won't stop chasing you, and tend to have some sort of ranged ability that will take off half your health if it connects.

And when you kill them? Their corpses will fall on you and hurt you.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I found a book in a Glitch castle called "The Would-Be King"!
    loooooooore!
    vol. 1 and 4 so far

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options

They have this gigantic aggro radius, won't stop chasing you, and tend to have some sort of ranged ability that will take off half your health if it connects.

I didn't find them too awful, but then I've only played with ridiculous OP weapons courtesy of Weaver twinking me to godhood, so every flying thing I ran into I was able to bring down with a single hit with an arrow.

• Options
    So I guess my advice is to get a super OP bow and practice arrowing things.

I'm helpful.

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    I'm more bothered by knockbacks

9/10 when I die to a monster I got knocked off a hill or something

it feels like they bumped falling damage up since the patch, but maybe armor was reducing it or something

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options

I didn't find them too awful, but then I've only played with ridiculous OP weapons courtesy of Weaver twinking me to godhood, so every flying thing I ran into I was able to bring down with a single hit with an arrow.

Godhood, huh? YOU COULDN'T HURT ME, COULD YOU?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »

Godhood, huh? YOU COULDN'T HURT ME, COULD YOU?

I chose to allow your fleshy life to continue.

You may thank me with tributes.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    End wrote: »
    I'm more bothered by knockbacks

9/10 when I die to a monster I got knocked off a hill or something

it feels like they bumped falling damage up since the patch, but maybe armor was reducing it or something

I think they reduced the falling distance, too.

And yeah, knockbacks on the flying enemies are the worst.

I'm cresting a hill and some asshole parrot zooms in from off-screen and launches me to my death.

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    fuck parrots basically

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    I'm going to tear down the castle and build anew on the SE++ home planet

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    I've never had one attack me from off screen either.

Although it occurs to me now that I changed some setting when I was fiddling with resolution, I think it was labelled simply "zoom" or something? I'm now wondering if you're playing with a tighter screen that's making it harder to see them coming?

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Again, I know people are complaining a lot about this, but when everything is fixed and it's no longer considered a beta we'll all look back fondly at the birdemic bug

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    I've never had one attack me from off screen either.

Although it occurs to me now that I changed some setting when I was fiddling with resolution, I think it was labelled simply "zoom" or something? I'm now wondering if you're playing with a tighter screen that's making it harder to see them coming?

Yes this. I forgot it in my guide. Zoom is 3 by default. Drop that shit to 2 and you can see so much further and I think it pretties up the game a bit too.

• Options
    el_vicio wrote: »

Wait, you mean the floating Apex lab? Do I need to come back and harvest my treehouse?

• Options

Wait, you mean the floating Apex lab? Do I need to come back and harvest my treehouse?
    Fairly certain he has a castle on his single player game. That or a castle somewhere else on the server, maybe the glitch one where he got trampled, that he is bringing to add to PA HQ. He knows better than to destroy a thing of beauty.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I built a shitty little underground lab off to the right of the HQ. Feel free to do whatever you need to with it. I'm not particularly attached to it.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    I started a lair of bone and flesh for my half baked robot RP ideas, also somewhere off to the right of HQ, but then figured with at least one wipe incoming it wasn't worth putting too much time or effort into building more of it.
    The idea was that since you organics keep using metal to make buildings a robot might make some out of flesh.

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    speaking of those fucking birds

Changelog for v. Indignant Koala 11/12/2013
    There are a whole bunch of improvements to balance here, particularly in the early game.
    We aren't wiping characters or worlds, but if you want to experience the proper balance
    you should make a new character/worlds to play it on!

Also..

- Nerf the hell out of birds, they no longer attack you at long range, lower damage, don't follow you forever.
    - Monster projectiles across the board better balanced
    - Shields better balanced
    - Early armors better balanced
    - Melee weapons better balanced
    - Ores better balanced
    -AI improvements
    - you can now craft lanterns (similar to sixxes' lantern mod!)
    - you can now craft a new back armor to help light caves
    - fixed the bubble gun crashing on mouse over
    - improve grass ( Suggestion by Dracyoshi)
    - You are now invincible on your ship (this requires a new character)
    - You need to be hit a lot harder to get knocked back
    - some UI updates
    - Drills now destroy 3x3 blocks
    - Other misc changes

More coming really soon!

due to drop tonight, it won't wipe saves ostensibly

• Options
    edited December 2013

Fairly certain he has a castle on his single player game. That or a castle somewhere else on the server, maybe the glitch one where he got trampled, that he is bringing to add to PA HQ. He knows better than to destroy a thing of beauty.

Oooh.

I started a lair of bone and flesh for my half baked robot RP ideas, also somewhere off to the right of HQ, but then figured with at least one wipe incoming it wasn't worth putting too much time or effort into building more of it.
    The idea was that since you organics keep using metal to make buildings a robot might make some out of flesh.

I followed a similar idea with my tree-house.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular

I see the teachings of MC Honk have served you well, brother. Don't let them shame you into a cardboard hat any longer!

• Options
    Those fucking birds just made me ragequit.

I finally find an airship, make my way up the anchor without getting knocked down, get the the quarter master, browse through the list and then suddenly I hear a zap, and the window closes.

Turns out a bird got too close and just instakilled the quartermaster.

Fuck those birds.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Oh my god having an always on light source for caves will make me so happy.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options

No no no, I'm tearing down the Glitch castle I found and gonna rebuild it on the PA planet, not that I'm going to tear down the community base

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Took the server down to patch. Will have it back up in a few.

• Options
    Out Of ContextOut Of Context Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Updated patch notes post.

- You can now turn 10 unrefined wood into coal in the furnace

That'll work.

Out Of Context on