Options

Game of the Year 2013 Poll [VOTE HERE]

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Bloodsheed wrote: »
    3. Europa Universalis IV - III is still my most played game on Steam. If I had CKII and it's expansions on Steam, that might beat it. I'm sure IV will get up there in time.
    Quick Comment, Paradox has stopped developing the Gamersgate version of CK2 and all future patches (and the last 2 already) are steam only. All gamersgate users should now have steam keys for CK2 and the various pieces of DLC that they own. This is great great great news because the multiplayer from EU4 should slowly be patched into CK2 now that it's steam only.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    There is no where near enough Wonderful 101 on these lists. Sorry, you'll all need to re-evaluate your lives.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    There is no where near enough Wonderful 101 on these lists. Sorry, you'll all need to re-evaluate your lives.

Well...its on the WiiU.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Tomb Raider 2013 (360, PC, PS3)
    The Last Of Us (PS3)
    Bioshock Infinite (360, PC, PS3)
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (360, PC, PS3, PS4, WiiU, XB1)
    DmC: Devil May Cry (360, PC, PS3)
    Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
    Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PC, PS3)
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (3DS*)
    Remember Me (360, PC, PS3)
    Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (360, PS3)
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist (360, PC, PS3, WiiU)
    Saints Row IV (360, PC, PS3)
    Super Mario 3D World (WiiU)
    Dead Space 3 (360, PC, PS3)
    Metro: Last Light (360, PC, PS3)
    Papers, Please (PC)
    Steamworld Dig (3DS, PC)
    StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm (PC)
    Gone Home (PC)

Honorable mentions go to Anne Hathaway Erotic Mouthscape (PC), Sepes Cumshot (PC) and Sex with men (PC)

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    uhh what's with those honourable mentions?!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I have no idea! They were on the list, so someone must've played them, which makes me suddenly very uncomfortable to be here

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Thanks! You voted for:

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (3DS, WiiU)
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
    The Last Of Us (PS3)
    Gone Home (PC)
    The Wonderful 101 (WiiU)
    Rogue Legacy (PC)
    Remember Me (360, PC, PS3)
    Grand Theft Auto V (360, PS3)

Honourable mentions:

Anarchy Reigns
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
    Papers Please
    Pokémon X and Y

Probably would have made the list if I played em:

Fire Emblem: Awakening
    Guacamelee!
    Rayman Legends
    Super Mario 3D World

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I have no idea! They were on the list, so someone must've played them, which makes me suddenly very uncomfortable to be here
    Well, maybe the forums aren't frequented entirely by straight white guys aged 18-35.

A few of the developers of Gone Home, for instance, do not fit that mold. And that different perspective is probably how they were able to make that game.

Most of our GOTY 2014 lists contain games with hours and hours of violence against our fellow man, and GTAV even has a
    torture sequence where you waterboard a guy
    so I'm okay with a few games with explicit titles of a different nature.

Renzo on
  • Options
    uh Renzo, I just clicked through some of Anne Hathaway Erotic Mouthscape, I'm gonna have to say that doesn't really belong on this list dude. And I'm a white hetero guy so I think I'm the target audience of that.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    1. Gunpoint (PC)
    2. Gone Home (PC)
    3. Saints Row IV (360, PC, PS3)
    4. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (360*, PC, PS3*)
    5. Driftmoon (PC)
    6. Kentucky Route Zero (PC)
    7. The Stanley Parable (PC)
    8. Bioshock Infinite (360, PC, PS3)
    9. Tomb Raider 2013 (360, PC, PS3)
    10. EGGNOGG (PC)
    11. Anodyne (Android, PC)
    12. A Dark Room (iOS, PC)
    13. Savant Ascent (PC)
    14. Ducktales Remastered (360, PC, PS3, WiiU)
    15. The Great Work (PC)
    16. Monaco: What's Yours is Mine (360*, PC)
    17. Eldritch (PC)
    18. Gun Godz (PC)
    19. SUPERHOT (PC)
    20. Bubsy 3d: Bubsy Visits the James Turrell Retrospective (PC)

Some notes:
    The top 12 are the relevant games. Everything after falls into "Pretty good."

I normally only suffer through Stealth mechanics for a game's story/world building/atmosphere, but I loved Gunpoint so much that the first thing I did after finishing it was play it again to do a no-violence run. I rarely ever replay games and if I do, it's three or four years after I first played it.

Brothers: A Tale of To Sons eases the pain I have knowing that I will probably never be able to play The Last Guardian.

Driftmoon is the kind of RPG I adore (more emphasis on story/adventure/exploration than slogging through combat encounter after combat encounter).

The more I thought about Bioshock Infinite, the more I fell out of love with it Still, I can't deny the fun I had playing it.

EGGNOGG, a freeware send-up of Nidhogg, is my multiplayer game of the year and sold me on a Nidhogg purchase next week.

A Dark Room turned into something amazing when I gained access to the world map. For a few hours, I understood how amazing it probably felt to play Ultima 1 or Wasteland back in their heyday.

And Honorable Mentions:

The Yawhg (PC): Seems like an excellent game, but it always bugs out in the same spot for me. We even tried it on a few different computers with no luck.
    My Father’s Long, Long Legs (PC)
    Lake of Roaches (PC)

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Judging by the posts so far, it seems like Saints Row IV is going to finish much higher than I would have guessed. This greatly pleases me.

Thread accomplishing its purpose: I'm gonna check out Gone Home in the next few weeks. It's on top of several lists in here.

• Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    uh Renzo, I just clicked through some of Anne Hathaway Erotic Mouthscape, I'm gonna have to say that doesn't really belong on this list dude. And I'm a white hetero guy so I think I'm the target audience of that.

Should have spoken up last week!

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

On the plus side, Revengeance is higher than I thought it would be on a lot of lists

Those two are a perfect one-two punch of character action games

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

On the plus side, Revengeance is higher than I thought it would be on a lot of lists

Those two are a perfect one-two punch of character action games

Both had their share of amazingly ridiculous set pieces, but Revengeance's soundtrack put it a little higher for me. It's so over the top, plus the way they used the vocals to signify the second stage of a fight just got me pumped even, even when the vocals are insane.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PC, PS3)
    Dragon's Crown (PS3*, Vita*)
    Guacamelee! (PC, PS3*, Vita*)
    Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 (360, PC, PS3)
    Killer Instinct (XB1)
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (3DS, WiiU)
    Ni No Kuni (PS3)
    Plants vs Zombies 2: It's About Time (Android, iOS)
    Ys: Memories of Celceta (Vita)
    The Banner Saga: Factions (PC)
    The Last Of Us (PS3)
    Magic the Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014 (360*, Android, iOS, PC, PS3*)
    Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3, Vita)

Tough call between 1 and 2, but I've played way too much XIV to not put it number 1.

Some of the games that should be higher aren't because I have only played a few minutes. Except for Last of Us. I truly found out I hate survival/horror/whatever it is. It's incredibly well made...I just hate the shit out of tension.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Bobble wrote: »
    Thread accomplishing its purpose: I'm gonna check out Gone Home in the next few weeks. It's on top of several lists in here.
    Gone Home is incredibly good
    Renzo wrote: »

Should have spoken up last week!
    eh not a big deal, honestly I don't like the forums over xmas and I had forgotten they were back to normal till more recently. Just an odd thing Syphon noticed that made me then notice it.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I typed this up for the Giant Bomb thread, and I voted accordingly.

10.The Underdog-Metro Last Light
    Despite being a much-improved sequel to Metro 2033, I felt like I barely heard anything about this game this year. Even making this list, I sort of resisted putting it on here. But it squeaks in at #10. It reminded me a lot of Half-Life: lots of tunnels, trains, and bad mutants/aliens. Each section of the game has a different hook, with some more vanilla shooter sections mixed in for variety. They really did a great job pacing the game, something new is always happening in terms of enemies or story or gameplay. I don’t actually have much bad to say about this game (let’s just not mention the brothel/strip club) but it didn’t inspire me to put it up higher on this list either. A solid game, worth your time.

9. Best Crackdown Sequel-Saint’s Row IV
    It’s weird that Crackdown never got a real sequel. Luckily, Volition must have enjoyed it, because I got a lot of the same feeling here. Jumping and dashing and gliding around were just great. I’m not as high on some of the wacky hijinks as others, and a few of the side missions aren’t great, but this was probably the best traditional open-world game this year. If it hadn't felt like the glorified SR3 expansion it started as, it probably would have ranked higher.

8.Best Looking-Bioshock Infinite
    Even the slums look fantastic in this game. And the highs, boy are they high (literally!). Songbird’s tower, the whole beginning section of the game, everything just pops. The combat gets a little dull eventually, riding the rails isn’t quite as fun as it should have been, and Daisy Fitzroy is an unfortunate dead end of a character. If games are like movies, I’d compare this one to Inception: cool sci-fi ideas, some depth, but mostly a lot of fun.

7. Best Second Chance for me to Beat a Classic-A Link Between Worlds
    When I was a wee SNES lad, only my best friend had A Link to the Past, I didn’t. So while I got to play it, I never played all of it, and I never beat it. ALBW allowed me to rectify that. The game was a mix of familiar and new, and because I never beat the original, I wasn’t sure if the new was really new, or just new to me. Either way, I enjoyed it. I would kill for some extra, more challenging dungeons DLC, perhaps the only slight weakness of the game.

6. Most Existential Terror-The Swapper
    What makes me, me, and you, you? Our DNA? Our bodies? Our consciousness? The best sci-fi uses technology to ask very human questions, and I think this game exemplifies that. Plus it has the best ludonarrative consonance (is that a thing?) of any game this year. Also featuring fiendish puzzles and a truly spooky atmosphere.

5. Most Mindbending-Antichamber
    Antichamber is something of a relic. In a year where indie games were heavily story-based Antichamber has basically no story, and minimalist (but stunning) graphics. Just a maze that you can gradually work though. Some of the obstacles require you to upgrade your cube gun, but most just require you to upgrade your brain. As you twist your brain into new and exciting shapes, the solutions to seemingly impossible obstacles become perfectly clear. The best game to add new wrinkles to your brain.

4. Smallest Stakes-Gone Home
    My favorite entry in the “first-person walker” subgenre. Gone Home is basically all story in the best way. It keeps just the right amount of edge in its atmosphere. It has just enough little clues to make great little side stories for Mom, Dad, and a few ancestors. But the sweet, simple, main story is what takes it. More games need to focus on these kinds of very personal stories.

3. Most Harrowing-The Last of Us
    As I said, the best science fiction stories have technology or space or aliens as a way to drive an essentially human story. Zombie apocalypse stories are the same way, I think. We don’t spend a lot of time figuring out why or how the zombies work. After Bill’s town, they’re relatively uncommon. Instead we see how they drive human behavior both on a large level, and on a personal level for Joel and Ellie. The results aren't surprising, but they are powerful. The actual gameplay seemed somewhat divisive, but it really worked for me. The desperate, hunched over improvisation was nerve-wracking but exhilarating.

2. Best Powergaming-Fire Emblem Awakening
    The slow burgeoning of power of my squad as I leveled and then actually bred them was incredible to orchestrate. By the time I had a full squad of 2nd-generation heroes, I was able to steamroll basically everything. Great character work despite the huge cast and consequently small screen time for basically everyone but Chrom and Lucina. Perfectly portable, great balance, and good music as well.

1. Best Complete Package-Tomb Raider
    This is the game that all hung together the best of anything on this list. Good shooting, good traversal, good pacing, good story, good character, good graphics, good levels. I don’t think any one of these things is exceptional or best in class, but the consistency is incredible. A game that was a blast to play and to look at, let's hope for a sequel to this one.

Honorable Mentions: Assassin's Creed 4, Brothers, The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Papers, Please

Dishonorable Mentions: The Cave, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Evoland

Ran out of time: Splinter Cell Blacklist, Call of Juarez Gunslinger, Guacamelee!, Tearaway

• Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    I thought I'd played more games from 2013, but apparently not. Here's how I ranked what I did play.

1. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    2. Bioshock Infinite
    3. DmC: Devil May Cry
    4. Poker Night 2
    5. Remember Me
    6. Rogue Legacy

I very much enjoyed all of them to be honest, but MGR: Revengeance was definitely the stand-out of the bunch by quite a distance.

MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Voted. Only picked out about 9 titles total.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Sex with men (PC)

I'm just going to have to presume this game exists, since a Google search for "sex with men" isn't really that helpful.

Well, unless I want to actually have sex with men, as opposed to playing some artsy-sounding indie game. Then it's extremely helpful, I'm sure.

I'm pretty sure that actual sex with actual men will be less pretentious and underwhelming than the average indie art game.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Sex with men (PC)

I'm just going to have to presume this game exists, since a Google search for "sex with men" isn't really that helpful.

Well, unless I want to actually have sex with men, as opposed to playing some artsy-sounding indie game. Then it's extremely helpful, I'm sure.

I'm pretty sure that actual sex with actual men will be less pretentious and underwhelming than the average indie art game.

I want to google it, but I don't want to google it.

/conflicted

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Thanks! You voted for:
    Gone Home (PC)
    The Last Of Us (PS3)
    Ni No Kuni (PS3)
    State of Decay (360*, PC)
    Saints Row IV (360, PC, PS3)
    Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
    Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (360*, PC, PS3*)
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (360, PC, PS3, PS4, WiiU, XB1)
    Battlefield 4 (360, PC, PS3, PS4, XB1)
    Tearaway (Vita)
    Warframe (PC, PS4*)
    Dragon's Crown (PS3*, Vita*)
    Game Dev Tycoon (PC)
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS)
    Penny Arcade's On The Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4 (PC, 360*)
    Dead Space 3 (360, PC, PS3)

Sadly, most of these games I haven't beaten yet despite playing a bunch of em. I need to finish up TLOU, AC4, GTAV, Tearaway, Dragon's Crown, PAA4 and DmC still. That being said, I loved what I've played so far and that's why they are where they are. I also need to play more BF4 multi but that will always be an off and on game for me.

There are also plenty of games I still need to get to from this past year and a few probably would've ended up on my list: Papers, Please, Gunpoint, Tales of Xillia, Remember Me, MGS: Revengeance, The Swapper, Antichamber and Kentucky Route Zero.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Sex with men (PC)

/conflicted

I googled "sex with men pc game" and didn't find it. Are we sure it even exists? Do we care? Should we?

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Sex with men (PC)

/conflicted

I googled "sex with men pc game" and didn't find it. Are we sure it even exists? Do we care? Should we?

Have you tried googling variations on the title? try 'sex game with men' or 'men sex with pc'. Come on, Maz. Think outside the...box.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Hazarding a guess that it was a twine game, "sex with men" twine game brought it up.

You can also search for "Sex With Men by Lillian Behrendt". The starting page says it's NSFW.

Edit: spoilers.
    Relieved that had a happy ending. I almost stopped reading a few stories in because it was getting too depressing.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Gone Home is incredibly good

While I enjoyed the game and thought it to be well executed, I personally think Gone Home gets a little too much praise for what it actually accomplishes. But that praise is probably to be expected because of the subject matter it addresses.

Going to dip my toes into a few more games before I submit my list, thanks @mcc for running this poll through the 12th!

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Tomb Raider 2013 (PC)
    Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (PC)
    Saints Row IV (PC)
    Bioshock Infinite (PC)
    Gunpoint (PC)
    State of Decay (PC)

That's not all the games I played, but I didn't feel like Ittle Dew was good enough to be ranked on my list and I hated Guacamelee. I haven't finished Assassins Creed IV, but if I had done this a few days ago i'd have put it on there near the end just for how much I was enjoying it. Right at this moment, though, it's pissed me off to the point where I don't want to recognize it either. In a few weeks i'll probably have forgiven it and gone back to finish it up, but not now.

Aistan on
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I apparently only played three games that came out this year. Which made choosing my top three pretty trivial.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate(3DS)
    Grand Theft Auto V (360)
    Pokemon X (3DS)

I do have a backlog of games from this year to play including several pretty well received titles but I do not have the time to finish one, much less all of them before the poll closes.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I'm assuming a dishonorable mention is bad? Luigi's Mansion 2 is on that list? What??

Steam: offday
  • Options
    I have a dishonorable mentions list too, but this is about games we loved, so I'm leaving that out.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Sex with men (PC)

oh you say it's an artsy-sounding indie game about sex with men and not an AAA game about shooting things in the face? i bet it's

ifktonvpdDVE4.png

who would want to play such a

ifktonvpdDVE4.png

game? i know i wouldn't. excuse me i need to go spend 40 hours killing aliens because that is the true apotheosis of games as a medium

• Options
    Sex with men (PC)

/conflicted

haha sex with men why would gamers care about that, who gives a fuck? okay back to tomb raider, gotta impale lara a few more times, peace bros

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I have a dishonorable mentions list too, but this is about games we loved, so I'm leaving that out.

My disappointment of 2013 was Gears of War Judgement. Just felt completely pointless.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »

My disappointment of 2013 was Gears of War Judgement. Just felt completely pointless.

O...kay?

I'm not talking about the games I disliked here because it might elicit some discussion that is not on the topic of Game of the Year. We're here to talk about awesome games, not argue about how much we hated someone's favorite game.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Sex with men (PC)

/conflicted

haha sex with men why would gamers care about that, who gives a fuck? okay back to tomb raider, gotta impale lara a few more times, peace bros

Is this an intentional or unintentional double entendre?
    Aegeri wrote: »

O...kay?

I'm not talking about the games I disliked here because it might elicit some discussion that is not on the topic of Game of the Year. We're here to talk about awesome games, not argue about how much we hated someone's favorite game.

Little chance of that given it sold only 120,000 copies and has been mentioned about twice in the thread (three times including me).

Another similar failure was God of War: Ascension (but I never played that fully).

It's in a field with a lot of incredibly good games this year, so prequels to trilogies that felt entirely pointless I doubt will get anywhere near the top 10. We'll see when the results come out of course.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Gears of War: Judgment was unnecessary, but you can see they were at least trying to add some interesting stuff to the game (the declassified mission system, some of the new multiplayer stuff.)

Also, it played fine: it was totally not a bad game. It just wasn't ever destined to be a high ranking game.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    @TychoCelchuuu real talk where do I find Sex with Men

Like others have said, a Google search is not providing sufficient results

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Could we not have one of those indie vs AAA title arguments?

Don't worry...its room enough in this industry for games of all shapes and sizes.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    @TychoCelchuuu real talk where do I find Sex with Men

Like others have said, a Google search is not providing sufficient results
    http://www.freeindiegam.es/2013/04/sex-with-men-lillian-behrendt/

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    My favorite are AAA indie games

edit - so "sex with men" is a short story?

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
This discussion has been closed.