Options

[PS Vita] Cerny giveth and Cerny taketh away

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I tried to love Gravity Rush, but I dislike it when games throw you into into a completely alien setting as an amnesia sufferer and just say 'deal with it'.

If I'm playing an open world game, I need to know a bit more about the setting to get invested.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Because of the lack of lock on targeting making some combat much more needlessly frustrating than it has to be, I've not played the game in an incredibly long time (since I got my vita back in June of last year).

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    heenato wrote: »
    bss wrote: »
    I know this is just wishful thinking, but Shin Hayarigami looks pretty interesting.
    “What is scary?” and “What are the causes of fear?” are questions that have different answers depending on the person. The concept behind the development of Shin Hayarigami is “Let’s make a game that everybody will find scary,” while letting players play to their liking with the choices they make.

According to director Kazuya Takasu, Shin Hayarigami will follow the theme of the series, while pursuing “fear,” so they can make something that fans of the Hayarigami series and fans of horror games can appreciate.

Sounds good, bring it west.
    Challenge accepted. I don't find videogames scary, so WE'LL SEE.

Oh really.

tumblr_n5b34ck8Di1rdu9woo1_500.jpg
    This means very little to me.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    I think I have a pretty good idea of what's going on in that screenshot (Corpse Party: Blood Drive) and I don't think it's really a good example of anything. It's all a fool's errand, really --- fear and horror are such personal emotions that there's nothing to be gained in "you don't find this scary, well, what about this?" Tack the experience of games onto that and there's really no point in it. If anything, talking about pieces of a horror game outside of the experience of a horror game dulls the entire experience, because a lot of horror (Corpse Party especially) relies heavily on immersion. You see a screenshot and can see the little seams where fear occurs and go "oh," when you have been staring at the game's despair for two hours in the dark and then you get that same screenshot, it's a totally different thing.

As an aside example, much like heenato I don't think I really scare. Corpse Party never scared me as a horror game so much as it did open up that weird part of your brain that makes you think "holy shit is that a face!?" when you wake up at 4:00 and see a shirt hanging off of a chair. That's what I enjoy out of the games, anyway. (There were some legitimate oh fuck oh fuck moments, but they were almost more gameplay-bound than horror-bound.) Citing static examples as elements of horror never works.

That said I'm sure Blood Drive will be a fiendishly good time and I hope we end up getting to play Shin Hayarigami.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I think CJ is trying to say Corpse Party can be creepy. The screenshot of a girl in the dark saying "aaaaah." doesn't really reflect that very well though.

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I think he was just linking a screenshot to point out the game itself.

The main hook with Corpse Party was never the visuals(aside from the CG scenes), so screenshots aren't going to do a whole lot. It's what the game can do with a pair of headphones that will get you going.

I do think the interactivity inherent with a game can make it scarier than a movie though, because you yourself can react to what the game throws at you rather than watching someone else slasher-flick their way into cinema darwinism. I just saw Grave Encounters last night and that didn't do a damn thing for me - but I still can't play Silent Hill 3 for more than ten minutes at a time. (I didn't find Silent Hill 2 as scary as some people make it out to be though, but maybe I didn't get far enough in)

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Corpse Party can not be summed up in a single screenshot. The best thing that game did was make me uncomfortable even when I wasn't playing the game, but while I was playing, my wife would tell me I needed to lower my shoulders down from around my ears. The absolute best horror games have the power to creep you out when not much is actually happening to you.

To put this in perspective, The Witch's House is another RPG Maker horror game that has bad ends in it. The problem is that even though it is a tense atmosphere, there's just too much overt creepy shit going on. You get to expect it because there aren't any times where something creepy could be happening but doesn't. Any time there's an opportunity for a jump scare, it takes it. It drains the tension out of the whole experience. Yes, you are on edge and jumping from fright, but it's not really a major accomplishment because it's just taking advantage of your instinctual and involuntary response to jump when something unexpected happens. After you're done with The Witch's House you forget about it.

Corpse Party is practically the same game in terms of mechanics, but there are many times when you think to yourself, "Oh god, something is going to happen. It's going to pop out at me, or chase me or... something is going to happen here." And then nothing happens. Instead of relying on the cheap jump scares (though there are a couple of well-done ones), it tells you more about why you're in a fuck-ton of danger, and then when that moment comes that it really is after you, and you're running for your life, it feels worthwhile and justified, and you aren't just instinctively jumping from fright once and then laughing. You're genuinely frightened for your character and want them to get out of that dangerous situation.

A screenshot doesn't really convey that.

It doesn't whisper in your ears and make you feel like something is right behind you, the player, in the darkness.

It doesn't have you flee from a fucked-up ghost only to have you learn how it became that way, and have it calmly inform you that it's about to lose its mind and want you to suffer for eternity again here in just a minute.

It doesn't show the character you control slowly descending into madness and despair and babble about needing to murder your friends.

It doesn't make you afraid to take that next step because every step you make towards your goal, the atmosphere gets more oppressive and it has been a while since anything actually bad has happened...

It doesn't give you the impression that you will never be able to escape that screenshot, even after you're done looking at it.

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Personally, Witch's House effected me a lot more than Corpse Party. But that could be because I simply adore The Witch's House. And also, I loved the fairy tale/gothic asthetic.

....I was also really impressed that a top-down rpgmaker game can do jump scares at all. Heh.

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Woohoo! My 64gb card is in San Francisco. Now it just needs to make its way up the coast.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Lovely wrote: »
    Personally, Witch's House effected me a lot more than Corpse Party. But that could be because I simply adore The Witch's House. And also, I loved the fairy tale asthetic.
    ....I was also impressed that a top-down rpgmaker game can do jump scares at all. Heh.

Don't get me wrong, it was a blast and definitely got me just about every single damn time. I would play a remastered Vita version of it and recommend it just for the sheer insanity (and oh god the number of ways to die)!

It's just that Corpse Party was more effective to me in terms of being unable to have it cross my mind before I fall asleep and not affect my rest significantly.

• Options
    Some brief gameplay from Akiba's Trip. Now, this is the PS4 version, but from what I understand the only difference is some graphical updates and more populated areas, so it should still give you a good idea of what the Vita will play like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkyRmic5QUI

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I tried to love Gravity Rush, but I dislike it when games throw you into into a completely alien setting as an amnesia sufferer and just say 'deal with it'.

If I'm playing an open world game, I need to know a bit more about the setting to get invested.

Really? I mean, not to say that amnesia isn't overused, because it is, but I think it worked really well in Gravity Rush.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Actually, you know what indie horror game I'd like to see on Vita?

Ib.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Some brief gameplay from Akiba's Trip. Now, this is the PS4 version, but from what I understand the only difference is some graphical updates and more populated areas, so it should still give you a good idea of what the Vita will play like.

Is it a game about beating up japanese hipsters with style? Because if so, count me in.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular

There is no part of that video I did not enjoy.

Also that end pose. Dat pose.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Whoa now, is Soul Sacrifice Delta really out today? That snuck up on me.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options

Is it a game about beating up japanese hipsters with style? Because if so, count me in.

Japanese vampiric hipsters.

• Options
    LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    Damn. All this Corpse Party talk has me wanting that game now (seems like I'm the only one to have never played it...)

Is this one of those PSP games that requires download from the PS3 onto the Vita or can I buy it right from the marketplace?

26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
  • Options
    LutExIV wrote: »
    Damn. All this Corpse Party talk has me wanting that game now (seems like I'm the only one to have never played it...)

Is this one of those PSP games that requires download from the PS3 onto the Vita or can I buy it right from the marketplace?

It's available for direct purchase and download onto the Vita.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

Japanese vampiric hipsters.

Of whom you literally beat the pants off of.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I just meant to indicate the game, not that particular scene. If you want a better example, I'd be glad to find one...
    Lovely wrote: »
    Personally, Witch's House effected me a lot more than Corpse Party. But that could be because I simply adore The Witch's House. And also, I loved the fairy tale asthetic.
    ....I was also impressed that a top-down rpgmaker game can do jump scares at all. Heh.

Don't get me wrong, it was a blast and definitely got me just about every single damn time. I would play a remastered Vita version of it and recommend it just for the sheer insanity (and oh god the number of ways to die)!

It's just that Corpse Party was more effective to me in terms of being unable to have it cross my mind before I fall asleep and not affect my rest significantly.

What gets me about CP is the fridge horror. It's bad enough the victims die, but their spirits get trapped there too, suffering the pain of their death forever.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

I'm really fucking sick of that particular trope. It might not be the main reason I prefer Ys Seven over Ys MOC, but it's certainly a contributing factor. Having said that, there are so many things I like about Gravity Rush, that I was more able to look past the amnesiac bullshit.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I loved Gravity Rush for the most part. Really hated the sliding mechanic though. Some of the races relying on it was the worst

Game had a great aesthetic though, and flying around was great in that simple way that swinging around in Spiderman 2 was.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Soul Sacrifice Delta is up and $36. A bit more than I wanted to spend on an expansion, but I went ahead and jumped on it. My only concern is whether or not it includes all of the DLC stories from the first game that I never went back to complete. I'm assuming it does, since its the "Ultimate/G" edition. Its lookin' pretty rad. I definitely wasn't expecting the higher resolution. Not quite native, but Soul Sacrifice was a pretty blurry game.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I threw in Soul Sacrifice last night and I'll be buying Delta this weekend. I wanna Platinum the game before I import my character for the new shit.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    SightTDW wrote: »
    Soul Sacrifice Delta is up and $36. A bit more than I wanted to spend on an expansion, but I went ahead and jumped on it. My only concern is whether or not it includes all of the DLC stories from the first game that I never went back to complete. I'm assuming it does, since its the "Ultimate/G" edition. Its lookin' pretty rad. I definitely wasn't expecting the higher resolution. Not quite native, but Soul Sacrifice was a pretty blurry game.
    It does... sort of. Instead of being separate distinct DLC missions, the bosses are now all integrated into the Pacts (formerly called Avalon Pacts). Also, you can remix custom missions (randomly generated, can't see if there is a way to control it) on "Blank Pages", which allows you to access a random sampling of 3 different missions that you normally can't access through Pacts. The boss stories are all in the Grimoire, and the new DLC storylines (like Sympatha) are all integrated with the main game now as their own section (Sympatha's story starts off the Sanctuarium line, for example).

But yeah, there isn't any content that you'll be missing out on from the original Soul Sacrifice, unless you absolutely HAVE to have access to 3 or 4 separate discrete missions for each DLC boss in their own section (now they are sprinkled about within the Pacts, and some of them you'll have to randomly roll off of the Blank Page mechanic). All of the former DLC bosses are represented somewhere within the new game, just not in their own separate section just for them.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    None of the DLC Pacts had a full blown story segment, I take it? The fully voiced side-stories were some of my favorites bits of the game.

If those monsters are just thrown into the rotation now, I'm all for the variety. That sounds perfectly fine.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    SightTDW wrote: »
    None of the DLC Pacts had a full blown story segment, I take it? The fully voiced side-stories were some of my favorites bits of the game.

If those monsters are just thrown into the rotation now, I'm all for the variety. That sounds perfectly fine.
    The Sanctuarium starter storyline with Sympatha had narration. That's the only DLC with story/narration that I can think of, off the top of my head, and it's in Delta.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So, after 185 hours and 30 minutes, I finally accomplished the following. I maxed out the "effective stats" of all my characters. (Max effective stats are 99999 HP, 999 MP, 255 STR, 255 DEF, 255 MAG, 255 MDEF, 170 AGI, 255 LUCK, 30 EVA, and 0 ACC). Also, all seven of my characters have their upgraded celestial weapons and BHPL + Ribbon + Auto-Haste + Auto-Regen armor.

2014-05-13-180256_zps0b4e5ad6.jpg
    2014-05-13-180314_zps3a125459.jpg
    2014-05-13-180318_zpsd7005baa.jpg
    2014-05-13-180328_zps4dbcb3b8.jpg
    2014-05-13-180332_zps284b79b4.jpg
    2014-05-13-180339_zpsfb00943d.jpg
    2014-05-13-180348_zpsbe168259.jpg
    2014-05-13-180355_zps190690fe.jpg

This was annoying as fuck, and I couldn't have done it without my three friends: OCD, self-loathing, and Jameson.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Jesus Christ Drez

• Options
    I just need to wrap the game up now. I accidentally killed the Dark Magus Sisters awhile back (what I mean is, I accidentally triggered the battle, was unprepared, but successfully Zanmato'd them). I have to kill the rest, and Penance. I also have to finish Omega Ruins. Then I can finish the game and move on to X-2. Or Conception II or Demon Gaze, which have both been sitting there unplayed.

But probably X-2.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I was basically sold on Akibastrip after seeing the trailer where you German suplex someone out of their clothing.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Oh I did get Borderlands 2. I'll give impressions later if anyone cares.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I'd love some Borderlands 2 impressions personally. I'm getting the game tomorrow for sure, but I wanna know if I'm going to feel good about it.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I psyched myself up into buying Borderlands 2. Kinda bummed the Tiny Tina DLC isnt included. Also kinda lame that the game and all DLCs are separate downloads. Downloading through my PS3, though so at least it wont take an eternity.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »
    So, after 185 hours and 30 minutes, I finally accomplished the following. I maxed out the "effective stats" of all my characters. (Max effective stats are 99999 HP, 999 MP, 255 STR, 255 DEF, 255 MAG, 255 MDEF, 170 AGI, 255 LUCK, 30 EVA, and 0 ACC). Also, all seven of my characters have their upgraded celestial weapons and BHPL + Ribbon + Auto-Haste + Auto-Regen armor.

That takes a madness I cannot even fathom. But soon you will be a member of the platinum club!

• Options

That takes a madness I cannot even fathom. But soon you will be a member of the platinum club!

I made myself a promise over a decade ago: That if the International version ever made it to the US, I would complete it as thoroughly as possible. This is me keeping that promise to myself.

And yep, I'm currently slaughtering the Dark Aeons. I need to finish collecting the Jecht Spheres too - I think I'm only missing one now.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I, too, was not quite expecting Soul Sacrifice Delta to be $36. It is not, on the other hand, out of my purchasing range. I was just hoping for a nice 29.99.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I made myself a promise over a decade ago: That if the International version ever made it to the US, I would complete it as thoroughly as possible. This is me keeping that promise to myself.

Does this life story now qualify you to be the protagonist of a "Tales of" series game?

• Options

Does this life story now qualify you to be the protagonist of a "Tales of" series game?

Tales of Loser X

This discussion has been closed.