Options

[PS Vita] Cerny giveth and Cerny taketh away

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The load times really were the worst

It's a fun game though!

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    I may have gone and done a silly thing --- lime green Vita Slim ordered off of amazon.co.jp. (Even with a forwarding service it should be cheaper than import sites or Amazon Marketplace.)

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    bss wrote: »
    I may have gone and done a silly thing --- lime green Vita Slim ordered off of amazon.co.jp. (Even with a forwarding service it should be cheaper than import sites or Amazon Marketplace.)

I'm picturing Il Duce from Boondock Saints. Only instead of strapped with pistols, it's Vitas.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Dragon's Crown certainly gets more addicting once you unlock the stables. But the AI is absolutely the most infuriating thing about the game. My teammates always lose 2 of their lives whenever there's fire on the ground or a trap. They just keep walking right though it.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Dragon's Crown certainly gets more addicting once you unlock the stables. But the AI is absolutely the most infuriating thing about the game. My teammates always lose 2 of their lives whenever there's fire on the ground or a trap. They just keep walking right though it.

This is so hilariously true. A couple rooms are notorious AI deathtraps, such that I just run through them because even real humans will lose lives in endless fire + oil barrel combos.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    It's one of the few games I wish I owned it on the PS3 or something for my big screen.

We can stream from PS4 to Vita; when can I stream Vita to PS4?
    I'm well aware that there's likely a processing power issue preventing this, but I don't care.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    VitaTV?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    VitaTV?

Not the same thing. Also doesn't support all games.

I mean, I literally want to hold my Vita in my hands and play it, but with my TV duplicating the Vita screen. Reverse Remote Play.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Dev Vitas have video out.

You can also buy hardware moded ones online, or mod kits to solder yourself, to do video out via USB, but man are they expensive.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

You can also buy hardware moded ones online, or mod kits to solder yourself, to do video out via USB, but man are they expensive.

My second Vita is one of these Vitas. It's cool but not perfect --- it can only do full resolution interlaced or at a lower color space, you need particular software to view the video, the mod creates enough electrical interference that the headphones port starts picking up some noise (line-out is OK though), and yeah, it's an expensive proposition.

That said though, I've had a lot of fun messing with it, and I don't regret it, but it's definitely "hack that gives you what you want, kind of" territory. If anyone really wants to see it I can stream something some time.

Kind of wish I could convince Sony to sell me a dev kit Vita just to have HDMI out, but for some strange reason they want me to be a real developer first.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

My second Vita is one of these Vitas. It's cool but not perfect --- it can only do full resolution interlaced or at a lower color space, you need particular software to view the video, the mod creates enough electrical interference that the headphones port starts picking up some noise (line-out is OK though), and yeah, it's an expensive proposition.

That said though, I've had a lot of fun messing with it, and I don't regret it, but it's definitely "hack that gives you what you want, kind of" territory. If anyone really wants to see it I can stream something some time.

Kind of wish I could convince Sony to sell me a dev kit Vita just to have HDMI out, but for some strange reason they want me to be a real developer first.

Rock Paper Scissors Vita 2014

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

This is so hilariously true. A couple rooms are notorious AI deathtraps, such that I just run through them because even real humans will lose lives in endless fire + oil barrel combos.

Yeah I've learned just to sprint through them too I had to fight that demon gate with one guy because of the fire room of AI death.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular

Yeah I've learned just to sprint through them too I had to fight that demon gate with one guy because of the fire room of AI death.

The only companions a dwarf needs are multiple hammers to throw around. Just sayin.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Having companions is cool though, because they can detract bosses.

Then Elf-chan can pull out a pocket dagger for ridiculous backstab damage.

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    It recently occured to me that transfering my PSP saves to my Vita would be a thing I could do. And it was true! Now I'm picking up Persona 3p again. Never did finish it after all (the psp version I mean.)

Aaaaaand, because of this, I'm getting the urge to purchase the digital version of Gods Eater Burst again, but I must resist! (cause I need to save my money to buy other games!)

That said, it's not immediately obvious how to transfer the saves, but it's pretty simple once you know what to do.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    You swirl it instead of twirl it, right?

• Options
    I would have totally picked up one of the awesome 2000 colors here in Korea, but I sadly refuse to pick up a Korean Vita. Skyhook/GPS is disabled on all Korean models due to demands from the Korean government due to nonsensical fears of N. Korea tracking people through it.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I'm not defending the port or anything, but I speak up when I see stupidity, and I'm seeing some stupid things in some of the reviews for BL2 Vita. One review said that it had all of the DLC, another said that it had all of the major DLC, which is wrong on both counts. Ten seconds of actual research could have cleared that one up, or hell even just looking at the damn box. One said the graphics and performance weren't acceptable considering how amazing games like Killzone and Uncharted look on the Vita, which just shows a baffling misunderstanding of how developing a game natively and specifically to a system's strengths vs downporting works.

These people get paid money to say this crap...

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    There seems to be a misconception out there that the Vita is as powerful as the PS3. it's pretty damn close, but it's not, hence the downgraded visuals. Wish people would give it a fair shake on that account. Though the port has it's limitations I'm sure its still pretty good.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    One said the graphics and performance weren't acceptable considering how amazing games like Killzone and Uncharted look on the Vita, which just shows a baffling misunderstanding of how developing a game natively and specifically to a system's strengths vs downporting works.

That statement isn't necessarily wrong. Reviewers shouldn't grade on a curve.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I think it's fair to reference other games on the same systems, ports or otherwise, when talking about a game's graphics. Comparing a Vita game to a PS3 game is kind of silly, though.

• Options
    I know this is just wishful thinking, but Shin Hayarigami looks pretty interesting.
    “What is scary?” and “What are the causes of fear?” are questions that have different answers depending on the person. The concept behind the development of Shin Hayarigami is “Let’s make a game that everybody will find scary,” while letting players play to their liking with the choices they make.

According to director Kazuya Takasu, Shin Hayarigami will follow the theme of the series, while pursuing “fear,” so they can make something that fans of the Hayarigami series and fans of horror games can appreciate.

Sounds good, bring it west.

• Options
    I'm sure I'll find it scary if they do, because I am a gigantic baby.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I know this is just wishful thinking, but Shin Hayarigami looks pretty interesting.
    “What is scary?” and “What are the causes of fear?” are questions that have different answers depending on the person. The concept behind the development of Shin Hayarigami is “Let’s make a game that everybody will find scary,” while letting players play to their liking with the choices they make.

According to director Kazuya Takasu, Shin Hayarigami will follow the theme of the series, while pursuing “fear,” so they can make something that fans of the Hayarigami series and fans of horror games can appreciate.

The cover is wonderful, too.

71EuRW3oFuL.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Speaking of 64Gb cards, @plufim - did you ever receive tracking information from Yes Asia? I'm not concerned, but my order from last week still says I'd receive info soon.

Having finally finished Hotline Miami, I'm (also finally) getting into Guacamelee - what a charming game that is. Stronger mechanics than I originally gave it credit for, and it just looks fantastic on the Vita screen.

No, I did not receive any. Really annoyed with Y-A and feel bad that I recommended them to you :/

Oh definitely don't feel bad about it, I did my own research too. Tracking is good peace of mind that the order actually exists, but I'm sure they're on the way.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Fwiw, I ordered mine from nippon-yesin or some such Asian Web site name and they didn't send me a tracking link either. You just have to be patient and give it a fortnight at least.

• Options
    Play-asia is usually pretty good about tracking numbers, but you need to make sure to find the tracking number in whatever domestic carrier they hand it off to, or there will stop being updates and suddenly you'll miss a package you had to sign for and didn't know was coming.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

Challenge accepted. I don't find videogames scary, so WE'LL SEE.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Fwiw, I ordered mine from nippon-yesin or some such Asian Web site name and they didn't send me a tracking link either. You just have to be patient and give it a fortnight at least.

BUT I WANT IT NOW

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    One said the graphics and performance weren't acceptable considering how amazing games like Killzone and Uncharted look on the Vita, which just shows a baffling misunderstanding of how developing a game natively and specifically to a system's strengths vs downporting works.

That statement isn't necessarily wrong. Reviewers shouldn't grade on a curve.

The statement was that an open world game of much larger scope and complexity that was never designed with that Vita in mind, and down ported from more powerful systems, should look better/run better than it does because completely different games that are designed specifically for the Vita, infinitely smaller, and linear look better.

I don't understand what ISN'T contentious about such a statement.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    "I'm going to make a sandwich out of rocks and dirt, just for fun. But then I am going to take it to a cooking competition two weeks from now and get it judged. But you can't judge it against other meals made for that competition, only other meals made from dirt and rocks."

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Actually, it's comparing a.. let's say, cell phone runner game vs Mario 64.

They are both platformers of a sort. Both have running and jumping, platforms and stages, but it's a fairly daft comparison even if they fit the same description.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    heenato wrote: »

Challenge accepted. I don't find videogames scary, so WE'LL SEE.

Oh really.

tumblr_n5b34ck8Di1rdu9woo1_500.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Yeah, trying to compare graphically, a cell phone game to Mario64 would be dumb. But this is comparing a cellphone game to a cellphone game.

For the Vita example, both are tripleA FPS's, operating on the same hardware. Yeah, BL2 was initially designed for consoles/PC, but they made the decision to port it over to the Vita.

Should KillZone/Uncharted not be called out as looking better/running better (at least in that reviewers opinion), when those developers took the time to fit/engineer their game to the device?

• Options
    Graphics aren't the whole story though

There is a lot more going on under the hood in Borderlands 2 than in Killzone

• Options
    Morkath wrote: »
    Yeah, trying to compare graphically, a cell phone game to Mario64 would be dumb. But this is comparing a cellphone game to a cellphone game.

For the Vita example, both are tripleA FPS's, operating on the same hardware. Yeah, BL2 was initially designed for consoles/PC, but they made the decision to port it over to the Vita.

Should KillZone/Uncharted not be called out as looking better/running better (at least in that reviewers opinion), when those developers took the time to fit/engineer their game to the device?
    I think you are missing the point. The point is that they said that Borderlands 2 should look and run better than it does because unrelated games in a different genres that were, from the ground up, made specifically for the system do. This isn't about comparing graphics between the two games, but saying that because of the given examples Borderlands should look better. It's an absolutely batty point to even attempt.

• Options

I think you are missing the point. The point is that they said that Borderlands 2 should look and run better than it does because unrelated games in a different genres that were, from the ground up, made specifically for the system do. This isn't about comparing graphics between the two games, but saying that because of the given examples Borderlands should look better. It's an absolutely batty point to even attempt.

Maybe the reviewer is saying that they should have rebuilt BL2 for the system instead of just downporting because what they released doesn't do the Vita or the game justice?

I don't see why you can't compare these two. Your argument sounds like "they choose to make this using technique <x>, so it shouldn't be compared to similar games built using the superior technique <y>". You're just begging the question of "why didn't they do it the better way, then?"

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Still not a good comparison.

Borderlands 2 is a downport.

Killzone Mercenary and Uncharted Golden Abyss were written from the ground up for the Vita.

There's a significant difference in how you go about designing such games. A downport has all of its assets done, and you're really just downgrading them to get a 'best fit' for the new hardware. Historically downgrades have rarely turned out particularly well.

• Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    I really liked gravity rush. I'm not sure how people can find it boring but like games like persona 4 which is a very slow burn. But I guess everyone is different.

PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    greeble wrote: »
    I really liked gravity rush. I'm not sure how people can find it boring but like games like persona 4 which is a very slow burn. But I guess everyone is different.

I love Gravity Rush. it is still the best experience I've had with my vita. That feel when you low level challenge the challenge bosses, perfect dodging through their moves and otherwise being an airborne badass? So good.

Even the small things like the slight targeting correction with moving the vita are wonderful to me.

Still kinda suck at the sliding though.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.