As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nidhogg]: Duel for the right to be devoured by a worm

13»

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Is there anything like a level editor planned in future? Not that I'm bored of the 4 arenas yet, but they could get to feel a bit repetitive.

TLDR: I want to make a penis shaped level.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    I am online in case anyone feels like stabby sword-throwy times.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Had some intense games with @Farangu he's pretty good!

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    I am merely ok.

I love it when you kill someone without lunging, and they just sit on your sword. Changing stances while they are still there is even funnier.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    So, I think the best combination of Variants for whacky fun that still has tactical gameplay has been discovered.

Swords Off, Throws Off, Spine Swords On.

The only way you can get a sword is by killing your opponent and ripping it out of them, and then you have a commanding lead and it's up to your opponent to disarm you and take it from you. Throws off because they're kind of OP against people who can't block due to lack of sword.

Really wish you could use variants in online MP.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    So is there an official real-world dueling term for when both duelers throw their swords at the other guys, miss, run off to collect their opponent's weapon, and then proceed to try and kill each other with said weapons?

Because based on how often it happens in Nidhogg, I feel like there should be a word for that. Likely French, and certainly pretentious.

EDIT: And freaking hell does the matchmaking need reworking. Matches are either laggy or fine, but if the matchmaker would find more than 4-8 people at a time, it would sure be a lot easier to find mostly lag-free matches.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I wish quitting didnt make you lose all your single player progress. Unless there's a level select I can't find.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    It was mentioned earlier that a day one (two?) patch allowed for controller support. If that's true, how do I enable this? My PS3 controller still works fine for other Steam games that support controller functions, but I can't do jack all to get Nidhogg to recognize it.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    It was mentioned earlier that a day one (two?) patch allowed for controller support. If that's true, how do I enable this? My PS3 controller still works fine for other Steam games that support controller functions, but I can't do jack all to get Nidhogg to recognize it.

Pretty sure that PS controllers don't use Xinput so you need to emulate them into a 360 controller for some games. Try http://www.motioninjoy.com/

I had to use an xinput wrapper to use my Dual Shock 4 with nidhogg.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Controller support was enabled by default anyway. It was just DPad that was patched in. Are you using software that emulates your PS3 pad as a 360 pad? Works fine for me, I use one too.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    Yeah, I followed some youtube instructions about getting motioninjoy to emulate my PS3 controller as an Xbox. Still no dice. I'll do some dicking around with it and see if I can't figure it out. Otherwise, I'll just use my roommate's controller. :P

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    When I installed motioninjoy I followed the step by step from their homepage/wiki and had it up and running with my dualshock 3 in ten minutes or so. Unfortunately I'm on the phone or I'd find the guide for you.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I really hope a mod community open up for this to make new maps

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    So is there an official real-world dueling term for when both duelers throw their swords at the other guys, miss, run off to collect their opponent's weapon, and then proceed to try and kill each other with said weapons?

<< Intervertir comme les Fous >>, first found in the Livre de Bataille du Compte de Marseille, dated 1432.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    ... you made that up, didn't you? Because I'm 90% sure "swap like crazy" wasn't 15th-century French vernacular.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    ... you made that up, didn't you? Because I'm 90% sure "swap like crazy" wasn't 15th-century French vernacular.

I can't not undisprove that I did not make it up.

• Options
    Tip so good it might be considered cheating:

If you have Xpadder or Joy2Key, and you play with a controller, set it up so that your shoulder buttons can be used to quickstep left/right, and your Y button can be used to roll/cartwheel. My fencing skill has improved tenfold with this.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Well, we only got three entries for tonight's tourney'.

@Raiden333
    @Winky
    @BionicPenguin

So...

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

From what little I know of the game, what's special about this video?

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Well, we only got three entries for tonight's tourney'.

@Raiden333
    @Winky
    @BionicPenguin

So...

Well, that's unfortunate.

• Options
    Raiden333 wrote: »

From what little I know of the game, what's special about this video?

The doge-face meme was edited onto the worm's face, thought it was funny.

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Watching that video of Nidhogg at the fighting game tournament kind of makes me prefer the slower, more deliberate pace it had when it was in beta. At least as a spectator, because I don't own this, nor have I played!

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    This game is such a wonderful example of simple mechanics making for complex, deep and rewarding gameplay.

It also totally should be an actual olympic sport. I may even have an idea where to find a giant worm...

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Am I missing something, I get frustrated in sword fights trying to move forward and backward but only waving my sword around instead. Also a few times where I want to sword up then stab and simply throwing sword instead.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    The controls feel a little loose in the sense that yeah, I merely tap up to try to disarm and quickly hit the attack button, but I end up throwing my sword too.

The final AI in single player has precise movement control in his ability to quickstep back/forward, parry and attack. It's kind of annoying because no matter how quickly I tap movements, I can't move that fast. I don't THINK the AI is flagged for Turbo mode? It doesn't look like it moves THAT quickly.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Taking the directional controls off of the analog stick and placing them on the dpad made a lot of difference for me. The controls are digital, not analog so you don't lose any fine control.

Also, is this anyone from PA? They just joined Wanghogg and sent me a friend request, but they only have a couple of games and a very un-PAish Steam level of 1.

• Options
    Plat0nicPlat0nic Registered User regular
    It looks a lot like old school Sid Meirs "Pirates of the Carribean"