As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Internet Policy] - Restricting the series of tubes

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Oh god please don't signal boost pjmedia random media guy

They aren't just signal boosting they are "looking into policy" based off this and the fact it got onto Trump's radar via Fox News.

Trump’s economic adviser: ‘We’re taking a look’ at whether Google searches should be regulated

They are for no regulations unless it is regulating speech that makes them feel bad about themselves. And people's easy access to that speech.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    lol at BBC being left leaning.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    The Intercept is only barely left-wing, apparently.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    "Regulation is bad! Unless it's to force people to say nice things about me."

Goddamn it I've aged 10 years in the last 18 months.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    "Regulation is bad! Unless it's to force people to say nice things about me."

Goddamn it I've aged 10 years in the last 18 months.

There's a really craven irony that the kind of thing this administration championed, under Ajit Pai, the allowance that ISP's can do whatever they want with regard to which sites get preferential treatment, isn't having that same philosophy being applied to a search engine company.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Google are doing any filtering specifically for political bias. I think that the typical FOX viewer prefers the TV to the internet, and the typical non-FOX user doesn't, and so the search results are dependent on viewership and linkage.

My point is, even if Google WAS doing what Trump is claiming, then according to the philosophy of the Trump FCC, there shouldn't be a problem with them doing that.

Of course, hypocrisy is one of the seven virtues of modern Republicanism now, so I'm not surprised.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Someone pointed it out in the First amendment thread, but do a google search for "Idiot". Confirmation google is biased against trump.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Someone pointed it out in the First amendment thread, but do a google search for "Idiot". Confirmation google is biased against trump.

I dunno, seems pretty accurate to me. Trump is, after all, an idiot.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I get stories about how Trump is mad about a billboard that calls him an idiot?

Like if anything his is "how to shoot yourself in the foot by drawing attention to things you don't like by being a dipshit that can't shut the hell up while also being president"

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

I get stories about how Trump is mad about a billboard that calls him an idiot?

Like if anything his is "how to shoot yourself in the foot by drawing attention to things you don't like by being a dipshit that can't shut the hell up while also being president"

It's just half the front page are articles/websites about him with the headline Idiot in them, and quite a few pictures. It's just kind of funny that he pops up on the front page of results.

RickRude on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Image search for “idiot” makes it much more clear

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    There is a disparity across search engines. Google's image results for 'idiot' in incognito mode vs, say, Bing (also incog) are somewhat different.

I am not informed enough to say for certain what this means.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    The funniest part is WSJ being partially left leaning. Mmhmmm, sure.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It's true, it's very easy to claim that the media has a left-leaning bias if you are constantly lying all the time about things that they can easily fact-check you on and also you invent your own definition of what "left-leaning" means in order to include famously conservative newspapers within that sphere.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

The WSJ's news tends to be pretty fact based, so it's left leaning in the Colbert joke sort of way. Their opinion page only has a passing familiarity with reality.

I wonder what levers the FCC could pull to put pressure on Google.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

The WSJ's news tends to be pretty fact based, so it's left leaning in the Colbert joke sort of way. Their opinion page only has a passing familiarity with reality.

Unlikely many, as Bing etc. do exist. They could push for regulation of search, but that would require understanding it conceptually first, which is really too specialized for politicians.
    That's not even getting into positive vs negative sentiment classification rules.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

None, because of this thing called the First Amendment. You may have heard of it, even if the Trump Administration and GOP haven't.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Kneel wrote: »
    There is a disparity across search engines. Google's image results for 'idiot' in incognito mode vs, say, Bing (also incog) are somewhat different.

They all have their own search algorithms.

Incognito should dereference most of your current cookies making you seem like a clean new session with no browsing history. There's some information they can use to still connect you to your last sessions so actually dumping cache and cookies and grabbing at least a new IP works better.

However all major search engines personalize search results to some measure. They tilt the results to what they think you want, because delivering the thing you want with as little input from your end as possible is the goal. Compare the results from incognito sessions, to results from a day of non logged in browsing, to the results you get when your account is logged in. I think they've calmed this down slightly since people figured out they were doing it.

However this also doesn't change that the search algorithms are different at a base level and that they weight results differently so it decides, "this is definitely the thing they are looking for", differently. Bing and google will always return different results because they are using a different algorithm by which to decide pages are valid search results.

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    QI! Thanks for the explanation. I might go compare the results again with your methods later when I can get near my PC.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

None, because of this thing called the First Amendment. You may have heard of it, even if the Trump Administration and GOP haven't.

I wasn't wondering what the FCC could do that would be constitutional. A Trump tweet demanding that Ajit Pai do something followed by some stupid action on Pai's part is perfectly fitting with how 2018 is going so far.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

I wasn't wondering what the FCC could do that would be constitutional. A Trump tweet demanding that Ajit Pai do something followed by some stupid action on Pai's part is perfectly fitting with how 2018 is going so far.

Well yeah, the FCC can do something. Which would then be immediately hit with a lawsuit by Google and probably literally every other tech company in existence and then immediately ruled in favor of Google by every court on First Amendment grounds.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options

Well yeah, the FCC can do something. Which would then be immediately hit with a lawsuit by Google and probably literally every other tech company in existence and then immediately ruled in favor of Google by every court on First Amendment grounds.

Hopefully. Or the FCC could attempt to mandate something similar to the Fairness Doctrine be applied to search algorithms... And there will be a talk with Google about their 86% market share and how it'd be a shame if the FTC decided to look into that to determine if they're a monopoly that needs some anti-trust hammering.

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

Hopefully. Or the FCC could attempt to mandate something similar to the Fairness Doctrine be applied to search algorithms... And there will be a talk with Google about their 86% market share and how it'd be a shame if the FTC decided to look into that to determine if they're a monopoly that needs some anti-trust hammering.
    I have been lurking on Free Republic, if anything to get a pulse on extreme right wing/libertarian reactions to news without having to go though the cesspool that is /r/the_donald. When article comes up there about how Google is censoring right wing speech. An argument breaks out immediately. On one side you have people saying that the government should intervene, while others reply in a panic about government regulation.

"They need to pass a law that says if Google edits content they get their DMCA exemption revoked!"
    "NO! find another search engine, the government should not be regulating companies! Let the market decide!"
    "Passing a law isn't "regulation" dummy!"
    "Yes it is! if anything It's a monopoly and should be broken up!"

The logic is baffling...

halkun on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    This is bullshit and horseshit.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Kneel wrote: »

Duckduckgo still associates Trump pictures to 'idiot' but to a lesser degree (and other politicians have single images there).
    So it would seem to me that the activists are optimising their association against Google's search algorithm, but it's being picked up elsewhere as well, even with Duckduckgo not trying to guess user preferences.

• Options
    OK, I think this is the place:
    On Thursday, Orrin Hatch wrote a letter asking the FTC to take a gander at Google in regards to search and digtal advertising.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Suddenly the party of deregulation wants to regulate google searches. How on-brand.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    when you type it as "impose censorship", however, it becomes very on-brand.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Didn't the FCC preempt states passing their own net neutrality rules, ruling them illegal ahead of time?

Yes, but SCOTUS hasn't said if they actually could do that.

I also think some of the legislation that is going on isn't "ISPs that want to do business in the state have to follow Net Neutrality." but "ISPs that want to do business with the state (or other government entities within the state) have to follow Net Neutrality." Meaning it's not a law so much as a condition for future contracts with some of the biggest customers ISPs could ever want.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    OK, I think this is the place:
    On Thursday, Orrin Hatch wrote a letter asking the FTC to take a gander at Google in regards to search and digtal advertising.

He should make like a censor and shut the fuck up.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    California passing a strict net neutrality law

And the balkanization of rules begins!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    This should be interesting. A republican DoJ arguing against state’s rights as an election looms.

Also there’s no way the how the FCC went about it’s own decision doesn’t get brought up, including the fraudulent comments supporting a repeal that they knew where fraudulent.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    This should be interesting. A republican DoJ arguing against state’s rights as an election looms.

Also there’s no way the how the FCC went about it’s own decision doesn’t get brought up, including the fraudulent comments supporting a repeal that they knew where fraudulent.

More to the point, if I'm not mistaken, the FCC got rid of the protections by arguing they did not have jurisdiction to regulate them. Then they tried to say that states have no right to either. They can't have it both ways.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Good look there Jeff "states rights" Sessions.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    It's not the first time the administration has tried legal action against California. It's also not going to be the only time they lose to California. At best they'll get some sort of stay in place but they'll lose the overall decision.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    It's not the first time the administration has tried legal action against California. It's also not going to be the only time they lose to California. At best they'll get some sort of stay in place but they'll lose the overall decision.

Why would they lose to California? Justice Kavannaugh will write the decision "suck it, libs!"

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

Why would they lose to California? Justice Kavannaugh will write the decision "suck it, libs!"

Yeah, that’s the sticking point.

jnij103vqi2i.png