As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PSO2] Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis is essentially PSO3!

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Polaritie wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »
    How do I claim weapon badges?

There's a badge vendor, like everything else. (Shopping area.) Note that while it certainly sounds like "trade this badge for a weapon!", what they actually mean is "trade this badge and 399 others just like it for a weapon".

Hmmm I didn't see when I was running around I don't think.

I think she's slightly unmarked. It's a 4-vendor stall I want to say, and she's on the right side, no nameplate over her head.

Thank you I'll look around in a minute.

Ion a diffrrent note

s this a game I need to preplan all my skillpoints or do you get to redo them?

It was originally pay to redo in JP, but they switched it to free respec at some point. Should be free respec in the beta I'd assume? (Not sure how much content is available in beta, since I don't have an XBox handy).
    Actually skill respecing went from costing ARKS Cash (the $$$ game currency) to Star Gems (freemium in-game currency that can optionally be purchased), but every single time SEGA changes anything to do with classes/builds/techniques/photon arts, they've given out 1 free All-Skills Reset Pass per-character; in practice no one really ever had to pay for these. I have several hundred just banked in PSO2JP.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Yeah, PSO Episodes I & II had Hunter, Ranger, and Force. A lot more classes available now, but I do miss having your HP and TP grow as you level rather than having that dependent on your armor and the skills you choose. Outside of getting skill points and allowing you into gated content, does lacking even increase your stats or anything else?

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Dark Falz is down.

Got killed twice but was wrecking him with a rocket launcher. Group had a nice Force that kept up healing pretty good, but some of those dark attacks hit like a truck.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    What's this play like?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    What's this play like?

Closest analog, on console at least, would be Tera. Combat is real-time and action packed. Lota of focus on movement and good range discipline in big fights/duels.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Weirdest thing tonight was I had no orders for my Aux to go on so I couldn't level her at all. Dunno if I did the orders she could have done already or what. Didn't seem to get any experience at all when I took her with my party. Later, despite having nothing to do, she popped up several times to feed me kills cuz stuff was chasing her but I have no idea what she was doing out there.

I think at some point I may take the character save and roll a normal sized version of her. Wish other games let you dig into and save those kinds of settings like this one.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    This is sounding super interesting and I really wanna get involved. But I need PC release info cause I don't have an Xbox current gen.

Here is hoping. I don't care what game manager I need to deal with, just wanna play.

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    This is sounding super interesting and I really wanna get involved. But I need PC release info cause I don't have an Xbox current gen.

Here is hoping. I don't care what game manager I need to deal with, just wanna play.

Data mining the online instruction manual has indicated that a Steam release is coming, but no signs to what the timing window will be. It's supposed to hit Xbone sometime between April and July.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Nitsua wrote: »
    Yeah, PSO Episodes I & II had Hunter, Ranger, and Force. A lot more classes available now, but I do miss having your HP and TP grow as you level rather than having that dependent on your armor and the skills you choose. Outside of getting skill points and allowing you into gated content, does lacking even increase your stats or anything else?
    Characters no longer have their own levels; each class has its own level. Your selected class' level affects your stats quite a lot, but not maximum Photon Points (PP). PSO2 uses much the same quick-regenerating system that PSPortable 2 had, so it's far more like a stamina bar than the counterpart to Health it was in PSO and PSU. Max PP starts at 100 and is only raised by equipment, skill investment, and the account-wide achievement bonuses for hitting Lv.75 in each non-Successor class.

Incidentally, though skill trees have stat boosts in them, they're not a good use of points (with a few exceptions). PSO2 builds are all about damage multipliers, which solely come from skills. You boost your primary attack stat via your level and gear, then multiply the crap out of it via your build.

If you invest points in stat boosts to equip stronger gear sooner while leveling, just be aware you'll want to reset your skill points sooner or later. 10 points in a skill for +50 Strike-Attack is nothing when your total Strike-Attack stat is over 3,000 and those same 10 points could max out a skill granting a flat 20% striking power boost.

I'm not sure how many free skill reset passes we'll get; we're starting with 6 years of updates and patching already done, and most likely the game's final class in place or coming soon.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    For everyone lucky enough to have an XBox, they announced another round of testing.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Open Beta starts on March 17th. You can also buy a founder’s edition for $60 that is Sonic themed and has a bunch of goodies in it, but only has a month of premium included.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Started playing the open beta. Do we have an Alliance for people to join?

• Options
    No idea. I don't have an XBox so I'm stuck waiting for them to release it on PC still.

• Options
    PC release in "Late May" now. So narrowed down but ugh.

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    PC release in "Late May" now. So narrowed down but ugh.

I was excited to try PSO2 out, but I don't think I'll have any time to care once it releases anyways.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    On Ship 2 - Fun darts has been setup in my room if you want to play it for the achievement.

Name: EyeRChris

• Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    I'm assuming Xbox Live is required to play this just like every other multiplayer game on Xbox right?

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    May 27th for PC. Kind of annoying that it took so long.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    As someone who has put off upgrading past Win 7 for some ungodly reason and also has no XBox, am I gonna be SOL?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    You could always upgrade to Windows 10, it's still free (though they don't go out of their way to advertise that) as far as I know.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I know absolutely nothing about Phantasy Star except that it exists.

Is this game solo friendly at all? I'm playing in an unusual time zone (AEST) and teaming options are going to be fairly limited unless I play with Japanese players, which presents a language barrier for me.

26904.png
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I remember it being fairly solo friendly, but also the game has pre-set messages you can use to get your point across fairly easily. So the language barrier isn't as bad as you might expect. That said, I am pretty sure these are separate servers from the Japanese ones, since they have said that while the servers are starting with most of the quality of life improvements, but the story/content is behind a fair bit.

And hey, it's F2P so if it somehow doesn't work out, you are at least not losing money on purchasing the game itself.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I have installed the benchmark/creator app and designed three characters.

I need dis.

Also, any nominations for what ship we'll be on?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Oh there is some pre gaming installs?

The pc version is on steam right?

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Looks like Windows store for PC?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Ianator wrote: »
    I have installed the benchmark/creator app and designed three characters.

I need dis.

Also, any nominations for what ship we'll be on?

Benchmark app? Didn't see anything like that. Where?

Polaritie on
  • Options
    I found it with some searching. Looks like a translated thing that might be user made. Just creates files to load for character creation. Not even confirmed that they will work on us.

Looks like the game can begin downloading tonight though.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Got a question I'm having trouble phrasing, so bear with me: how strong is the culture of required optimal play in this game? Looking at the classes and whatnot, Bouncer/Tech(t)er sounds like absolutely what I want; the premise of being the guy who showers his allies allies with various support buffs while (and by) flipping around and kicking enemies in the face is pretty much exactly what I want to play. However, traditionally PSO's support spells have worked such that only the best one counts, and I suspect that carries through to the main-class-only skills the Tech(t)er gets to improve Shifta and Deband. Or, to put it another way, from the skill descriptions and build guides I've read it sounds like you either build to be the one worthwhile casting/support hybrid type that's out there, or you build for whatever gets you the best DPS. How much side-eye are you likely to get for playing something that isn't an Approved Meta Build? Similarly, how much genuine effectiveness can you lose by building off-meta? (If you'll excuse some hyperbole, the kind of personality that writes build guides also tends to be the kind of personality that considers 95% of the maximum achievable DPS to be an unacceptable loss, so basing one's expectations off of guides can give you the wrong impression.)

aaaaaaaah so hyped for this game bounce bounce bounce

EDIT: Some trivial research indicates that it is extremely difficult to modify your skill point allocations (requiring a single-use item either provided at intervals at Sega's whim or purchased for real money), so much of the guide-recommending behavior seems to be a defensive reflex against making errors that are very difficult to undo.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Looking forward to downloading this tomorrow.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    When does this roll out?

26904.png
  • Options
    Stupid wrote: »
    When does this roll out?

Preload goes up at 11:00 PM Pacific tonight, servers are slated to open at 5:00 AM tomorrow morning.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Again, Pacific. So some hours later Easter, of course. I'll download when I get up tomorrow.

• Options
    I'm not in a big hurry to experience the opening day login issues which gives me time to pick up a new SSD on which to install Win10.
    this is a lie please give me all the launch day hype and everything that goes with it

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    "download=yes" switch was flipped at 11 PM PDT just as foretold

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Don't forget to run the launcher. What comes from the Windows store is only 11gb, but the full game is 69gb.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    11pm pacific is (was) 4pm AEST. Looks like it goes live at 10pm tonight local time (for me).

I guess I should queue the pre-load now :)

26904.png
  • Options
    It all seems to be horribly borked. I managed to download the launcher, but it won't start.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm running into what appears to be exotic file permission issues.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Make sure to log into the Microsoft store.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    HHztuUH.png

This is what I am getting when I try to start.