As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PSO2] Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis is essentially PSO3!

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So...

Got a message through my Xbox messenger service. PSO2 closed beta preloads are now available via Xbox Insider.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    So...

Got a message through my Xbox messenger service. PSO2 closed beta preloads are now available via Xbox Insider.

Yep, 70GB worth. Your hard drive and internet pipe will get a work out.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I expect DETAILED reports of what classes are available.

I am not expecting the most recent advanced class(The mech god thing)BUT I WANT IT.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Might take a little longer for those of us who don't have XB1s on hand, but eventually there's going to be either crossplay or something like it- someone forgot to redact the online manual and it revealed that PSO2 will eventually come out on Steam.

No data on a release date, but damn, thank anything for someone realizing keeping it XB1 exclusive would end up killing it dead.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I thought the initial ad mentioned it wouldn't just be on the bone. Like I swear I thought it was advertised as crossplay with the pc

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I thought the initial ad mentioned it wouldn't just be on the bone. Like I swear I thought it was advertised as crossplay with the pc

It was, yes. But it was initially looking like it would be behind the Windows Store wall. Some folks won't touch a game unless it's on Steam.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

It was, yes. But it was initially looking like it would be behind the Windows Store wall. Some folks won't touch a game unless it's on Steam.

Ahh I guess for me I'm at best steam agnostic so it didn't bother me. I haven't played a PSO since the gamecube days so this coming beta will be if I even want to

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Could have been worse- I mean, they could have gone with Epic, I suppose.

It's just more the ease of things- if it's on Steam, then it's just one less login/password combo to have to deal with, and with any luck, you'll be able to link your Steam account to do things like buy in-game things and premium currency, etc.- well, that and the Windows Store isn't really the easiest thing to use...

But damn, am I excited to play this now. This was one of the MMOs I was afraid I'd have to miss out on because XB1s aren't exactly cheap...

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Can’t you get one for about $200 or a little less now?

On another front, from just playing around with the little I can after installing it, it looks like it is X enhanced since it has a 4K text mode at the very least. So it is setup to at least recognize X hardware resolutions if not take advantage of the extra power.

I can’t wait for Friday to get here. We should choose a ship (since they are all available to choose from by the looks of things) and create a group or something so all of us on the XB1 can play this together during this and the open beta coming after.

• Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    The way I've heard it is right now

* Ship 1 - everyone [by default] except...
    * Ship 2 - pso2jp vets
    * Ship 3 - and a handful of everyone else

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    So, I visit Resetera here and there and saw their PSO2 page about the closed beta tonight and wanted to share some information with you all. Credit goes to Zeta Ori over there who posted it originally

”During the Beta, there will several special events to take note of, especially if your interested in obtaining the beta rewards. The first of which are Urgent Quests, which will only be available during specific times throughout the beta:

February 7th Quests
    8 to 8:30 p.m. PST – Cradle of Darkness​
    10 to 10:30 p.m. PST – Giant Automata: The Awakening​
    February 8th Quests
    7 to 7:30 a.m. PST – Cradle of Darkness​
    1 to 1:30 p.m. PST – Giant Automata: The Awakening​
    5 to 5:30 p.m. PST – Cradle of Darkness​
    8:30 to 9 p.m. PST – The Raging Obsidian Arm​
    9 to 9:30 p.m. PST – Elder of the Unfathomable Abyss​

The next event to take note of will be a live concert performance taking place in the games Shopping Plaza. Even those not interested in the music may want to attend, as the performance comes with some benefits:
    February 8th – 8 to 8:15 p.m. PST – Performing the songs “Our Fighting” and “Eternal Encore”
    Buffs Received – Rare Drop Rate Increase, Meseta Drop Rate Increase, and Experience Points Rate Increase
    Lastly, there will some special rewards for people participating in the beta, and here is what they are and how to obtain them:

Immediate Rewards

Players will receive these rewards immediately after logging in during the Closed Beta Test.
    First Login – Photon Halo B (Accessory) and Beauty Salon Free Pass (Consumable)
    Daily Rewards – EXP Boost +50% (x3), Rare Drop Boost +50% (x3), Meseta Boost +50% (x3) (Consumables)

Special Rewards

Players will receive these rewards when the game officially launches (release date TBA).
    Complete 1 Urgent Quest – Photon Halo C (Accessory), Triboost +100% (Consumable)
    Complete 2 Urgent Quests – Photon Halo A (Accessory), Triboost +100% (Consumable)
    Complete 3 Urgent Quests – Mag Dreamcast (Evolution Device), Triboost +100% (Consumable)
    Complete 4 Urgent Quests – Coated Edge (Weapon Camo), Triboost +100% (x10) (Consumable)“

I’m really looking forward to this tonight. I get off work at 9:30pm EST, so I should be able to at least make the first Urgent Quest tonight. I really really want that Dreamcast Mag.

I hope this info is found to be helpful to everyone else. Happy gaming everyone.

• Options
    Much thanks for the info!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I tried to play this last night at 0000 EST and it wasn't up, and it wasn't up this morning either... it launches but the servers or "ships" I guess... all said "congested: under maintenance"

is it just packed to the brim?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Just to be clear this is only for the Xbone right? They haven't said anything about a PC beta yet?

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    No they haven't said anything about a PC beta because the Phantasy Star Online 2 Closed Beta is exclusive to Xbox One.

And it actually starts at 5PM PT... that explains it.

edit: it may be a thing later... possibly even an open one, but for now they've only said stuff about the closed beta.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Their Twitter mentioned an open beta but no dates. I imagine it'll depend on how well the CBT goes and they can adjust their timelines from there.

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    It starts tonight at 5pm PST, which is why you couldn’t play last night. It’s only available two days. Tonight and most of tomorrow.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    So the beta only has the one server and it's full?

edit: still no joy. meh.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So basically a load test.

C'mon PC news.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    It's... kind of weird that a closed beta would be the first beta that I've been on in a while with capacity issues. Or that they'd not open the other "ships" ... were you able to freely transfer your character between them in the original or something? They said this was a progress carries into live beta too.

What's even stranger is they don't have a queue or anything so I'm sure everybody that's not in the game is hammering the login servers at this point... but eh. I guess I'll try again in an hour.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Yeah I can't get in, I got to a character create screen on one attempt but that didn't go anywhere

I get that its a beta, but like a beta for an older game that can't handle what I imagine isn't like a super lot of traffic is worrying.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    well, it's a free game, and this game's release also arrives with the ongoing animu, so interest is actually probably high.

the two day window probably isn't helping either.

edit: reddit said the second ship was up now, can confirm that there are two ships open. Not that it's helping the login issues.

edit2: I was actually able to watch a video and mull over a class before it kicked me out. ... progress?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    I got to the player select screen and then got dc'd..

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I'll try it again in another hour or something... idk. I was curious, but I'm thinking Bless Unleashed is going to consume my MMO playtime anyhow.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    What ship y’all?

These servers are getting fucked, aren’t they?

Is getting started worth choosing or should I choose a ship?

Nitsua on
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Nitsua wrote: »
    What ship y’all?

These servers are getting fucked, aren’t they?

Is getting started worth choosing or should I choose a ship?

Getting started just chooses a ship for you.

Edit it chose 2 for me now I just tried ship one hoping it'd work. But nope still disconnected

RickRude on
  • Options
    I got as far as starting to create a character on ship 2, but then it failed. If they open another ship I may just stick to ship 2 attempts because n theory people would be spamming that ship and ship one.

• Options
    And ships are down, well they are definitely beta testing.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Yeah it’s saying Down for me too. It is indeed beta and for a free game. I so want that Dreamcast mag though. Ugh.

So, at about 12:30 the game came back Up and I’ve been able to play without a hitch. I’ve played the original and Episode 2 extensively and I’d say that, at least so far, the game feels like a logical extension of the original and, thankfully, nothing like Universe. The same timing based attacks, Magic and movement feels very much alike, just refined and better suited for the time it cane out. I really like the ability to charge magic and also holding down the attack button to combo attacks are time it for more damage. The enemies have way too much health though, not sure how I’ll feel about that if it scares up like the previous games did.

All in all I enjoy it, and that’s just the prologue mission. I just hope there’s gear to buy, spells to acquire, and quests to run. There should be, but I’ve yet to see it. Just got through that into ending cutscene.

Edit 2: now that I’m out of the first prologue mission, the Enemies are no longer bullet sponges and the damage needed to kill them makes more sense. Must be a starter mission thing - but shouldn’t things be easier? All I know is that this game is already anime as fuck with the confusing story with Xion. I’m enjoying the gameplay though.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    The trailer for the Sonic the Hedgehog movie is showing in the shopping plaza.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    The trailer for the Sonic the Hedgehog movie is showing in the shopping plaza.

It freaked me out getting a weapon appraised and fiddling with the camera and all of a sudden James Marsden is staring at me.

Found 2 rares so far just leveling doing Dagan hunts, a sweet rifle and a ranged damaged back armor. Apparently it wants me to roll a Ranger/Gunner, rather than the Newman Force I'm using.

My toon was placed on Feoh.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Yeah, I stopped and watched the trailer while in the shopping plaza. It was cool how the trailer audio took over if you got close enough. I think it’s a cool way to integrate ads without being annoying. It’s off by itself and can be completely ignored.

• Options
    How do I claim weapon badges?

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

There's a badge vendor, like everything else. (Shopping area.) Note that while it certainly sounds like "trade this badge for a weapon!", what they actually mean is "trade this badge and 399 others just like it for a weapon".

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »

There's a badge vendor, like everything else. (Shopping area.) Note that while it certainly sounds like "trade this badge for a weapon!", what they actually mean is "trade this badge and 399 others just like it for a weapon".

Hmmm I didn't see when I was running around I don't think.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

I think she's slightly unmarked. It's a 4-vendor stall I want to say, and she's on the right side, no nameplate over her head.

• Options

I think she's slightly unmarked. It's a 4-vendor stall I want to say, and she's on the right side, no nameplate over her head.

Thank you I'll look around in a minute.

Ion a diffrrent note

s this a game I need to preplan all my skillpoints or do you get to redo them?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Thank you I'll look around in a minute.

Ion a diffrrent note

s this a game I need to preplan all my skillpoints or do you get to redo them?

It was originally pay to redo in JP, but they switched it to free respec at some point. Should be free respec in the beta I'd assume? (Not sure how much content is available in beta, since I don't have an XBox handy).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I expect DETAILED reports of what classes are available.

I am not expecting the most recent advanced class(The mech god thing)BUT I WANT IT.
    Content and classes should be the same as PSO2JP. Are you not familiar with them?

Basic classes straightforwardly do what they do. There's one for each attacking type (Strike/Shoot/Tech):
    • Hunter: Focused on consistent Striking power, aggro control, and tanking/survival. Can block and dodge for defense. Equips the all-purpose Sword, the boss-killing precision Partizan, and the AoE mobbing Wired Lance.
    • Ranger: Focused on Shooting power, player aiming, and debuffs. Good Photon Point management tools. Can roll for defense. Equips Rifle for boss sniping and Launcher for AoE mobbing.
    • Force: Focused on Technique power, inflicting status, and elemental weakness. Tools for all situations. Becomes one with the i-frames for defense. Equips Rod to cast from your character, and Talis to cast from where you throw the talisman.

Advanced classes each offer a significant twist on their related basic class. All require a lot of attention to their particular gimmick. Once again, there's one for each attacking type (Strike/Shoot/Tech):
    • Fighter: Focused on high-risk for high-reward, close-range, HIGHLY conditional Striking power. Scores countless hits. Dodge or parry for defense. Equips Twin Daggers for anti-air, Double Saber for shredding enemies you could sniff, and Knuckles that I never really worked out the proper use for.
    • Gunner: High-flying mid-range Shooting power. Can flip with ALL the i-frames for defense. Equips Rifles (but why would you) and Twin Machineguns for deadly bullet ballet in the sky. Extraordinary in the right hands, but also very intensive in terms of sheer play inputs; causes the most hand-fatigue of all classes.
    • Techer/Techter: Smashy tank group-support class. Good Photon Point management tools. Focuses on Striking or Technique power. Can dodge or phase out of reality (just like Force) for defense. Equips Talis to cast buffs/heals from a safe distance, and Wands to cave skulls. Surprisingly decent at anti-air with Wand's sole Photon Art. Known as "Techer" in the fan translation, the actual Japanese is "Techter" like "protecter" + "techniques".

Hybrid classes have multiple attack types available. Each is rather unique, so there's no blanket statements to be made.
    • Braver/Vanguard: Striking/Range hybrid. Focused on enemy weak points. Equips Katana and Bullet Bow. Can parry + counter with Katana, dodge with Bullet Bow. Katanas are all about the parry + auto-counter. Bullet Bow is versatile but slow, with an appreciable arc to shots. "Braver" appeared before as a class name in Phantasy Star Portable, where it was localized to "Vanguard" in North America.
    • Bouncer: Striking/Tech hybrid. Focused on breakable weakpoints/elemental weakess. Equips Dual Blades for burst damage and Jet Boots to group-buff as you fight or cast. Dodges with ALL the i-frames. Both weapons offer superb anti-air and height control.
    • Summoner: Focuses on fighting via pets. Designed for beginners to have an easy time playing, with minimal active management, and low direct risk in combat. Extra-extra-EXTRA-grindy to make up for it.

These three are special hybrids, called "Successor" classes (at least in Japan). Accessing them requires Lv75+ in any two Basic classes, per-character. They equip existing weapon types (one for each attack type), but fight using completely unique mechanics, animations, and Photon Arts:
    • Hero: Equips Sword, Twin Machine Gun, and Talis. Focused on mobility and burst damage. Easy to burst DPS things dead in seconds, but get hit and you're the dead one. Requires frequent weapon swapping to keep powered up. Long since balanced properly; no longer the mindless OP-EZ mode it was for the two years after its release. I won't touch it out of spite, but don't let that stop you.
    • Phantom: Equips Katana, Rifle, and Rod. Good Photon Point management tools. Very flexible. Unmatched range control, with a deep movepool. Excellent dodges for defense. The Hero concept done right from the start, requiring a modicium of skill for good results.
    • Etoile: Equips Double Saber, Dual Blades, and Wand. Can block, parry, and counter-attack. Haven't played it yet.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Dang. That's uhh a lot more classes than I remember from PSO on my gamecube. I think that had melee guy, shooty guy, and magic guy.

FFXIV: Agran Trask