• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    aww yiss

hooked up my tv as a monitor

3 screens for my pc now, bitches

time to rotate one so nobody can see my shit

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Pffft, three screens. Anything less than five is considered a dull affair.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    my videocard can only handle 4 screens

: (

I do have 2 PC's though, I guess I could use my less beefy one to hook up another 4.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Idiot Son has me in his crosshairs.

Sent my boss a rambling rant via SMS that 'we need to look for a new computer guy'

The inciting event?

I temporarily turned on a passcode requirement on company phones while testing some security settings for the tablet project I'm working on. After he complained he couldn't receive email (because he refused to set a passcode, even temporarily) I removed the passcode requirement and told him it was fixed.

well you're probably safe, they still need a guy to replace the paper in the printers after the yacht pamphlets are issued

but if anything, it probably makes things feel less bad about you trying to leave I'm sure.

Yup, my boss agreed to a phone call w the folks I did the informal interview with last month to give them my current employer's blessing about making me a formal offer.

I'm confident, but still pretty nervous and keyed up about the whole thing. My boss is pretty bummed too.

Of course he's bummed. He has to stay behind and deal with the mess the IS is creating.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    oh cool 2 people got fired today

boy it sure is fun being understaffed

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »
    aww yiss

hooked up my tv as a monitor

3 screens for my pc now, bitches

time to rotate one so nobody can see my shit

lmao get on my level

aMoFA.jpg

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Hey, new person! How's it- oh, you're already talking to me about how 9/11 was an inside job because of that 'Loose Change' thing you watched.

Now, it's going to look like I'm walking away and never talking to you again, but-

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Drama at work. They just started a new thing where they want people to sign a form stating they will pay the company back for training costs if they leave the company before 2 years (with some sort of pro - rated deal for leaving earlier than that). I haven't seen the contract, as I am probably not up for training due to not wanting to travel because of baby. But the first person who was approached declined to sign. They already paid for the training course, do they are pressuring somebody else to sign and go. I understand where the company is coming from, but there is no way I'd tie myself financially to this place. They promised a specific raise after 3 months, and failed to deliver. .. They don't pay their bills and are on shaky financial feet. I could see them not giving raises for 2 years and holding the training costs over our heads.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    It's Annual Review Time, wherein our heroes are regaled with stories from the past year of their triumphs and conquests!
    Virtues are extolled!
    Thanks are given!
    Appreciation expressed!
    Apologies issued!

...because "man, we really appreciate how far above and beyond you went last year, but our salary adjustments got budget-capped sooooo..."

whomp-whomp.

• Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    Hey, new person! How's it- oh, you're already talking to me about how 9/11 was an inside job because of that 'Loose Change' thing you watched.

Now, it's going to look like I'm walking away and never talking to you again, but-

They moved one of the night shift guys to day shift to help with some coverage, and he gets all his news from Alex Jones.

Good ol' Crazy Carl...

• Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    Man I love vague and confusing requests. We have this project that used to be in Stage 1, and is now in stage 2. I sent stage 2 to one of the managers who insists on taking the lead, even though I feel like he isn't really sure what we're doing.

Manger: "I like it. Please return it to how it was before Stage 1."

Me: "Do you mean return it to Stage 1, or a stage before that?

Manager: "Yes. I liked it more before Stage 2."

Me: "I'm sorry, are you saying that you liked Stage 2, but you want it reverted to before Stage 1, because you liked Stage 1?"

Manager: "By next Wednesday please."

I love this job but deciphering this guy is turning into a full day affair.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    It was such a weird thing, too, because A) I've never met this person and B) I didn't say anything at all that could be even loosely interpreted as prompting such a discussion.

Basically 'Morning!' 'Morning. How's it going?' 'Not too bad. Watching something called 'Loose Change' and let me tell you...'

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I saw that.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
  • Options
    And? Inside job, or not?

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Inside Job had Matt Damon doing the narrations, so it was better

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    I bet it was a twinside job. Just think about it, twin towers!

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    Awesome, so Adobe has moved a bunch of their apps to a cloud-based frippery product. Which is whatever. But the apps themselves phone home to a licensing site, and none of the apps are proxy-aware. Security refuses to grant an exception through the firewall and have told me to ask Adobe to change their software.

Yeah, right.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    vsove wrote: »

Sometimes I worry that the folks I work with think I'm boring, or don't do anything interesting.

Because I never talk to my coworkers about anything other than work (and banal things like: "Boy, I sure do think that car looks cool" and "I had a great dinner last night at <place>.").

Because they are my coworkers.

Not my friends.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    There is a guy in the office that only talks to me when he is looking for company for lunch.

I feel like my coworker is Godmode's dog.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    so, I have a ticket that one of our user's email signature hasn't updated yet to show their new assistants' name. We have a program that runs as part of the login script to keep email signatures up to date based on what is set in their profile. So I decide to rule out the obvious potential cause of the problem, and check the hardware audit to see when the computer was rebooted last.

"oh, March 11th. That's not so ba...
    wait, it's only the 7th today.

oh god."

NXbn27X.png

I'm gonna go have a cry

• Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    Awesome, so Adobe has moved a bunch of their apps to a cloud-based frippery product. Which is whatever. But the apps themselves phone home to a licensing site, and none of the apps are proxy-aware. Security refuses to grant an exception through the firewall and have told me to ask Adobe to change their software.

Yeah, right.

We started this same discussion at my place a few months ago. I've actually had to put the upgrade off for a couple users because I couldn't get that exception request through. They won't give me a reason beyond "we don't do that." Which is helpful.

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    so, I have a ticket that one of our user's email signature hasn't updated yet to show their new assistants' name. We have a program that runs as part of the login script to keep email signatures up to date based on what is set in their profile. So I decide to rule out the obvious potential cause of the problem, and check the hardware audit to see when the computer was rebooted last.

oh god."

NXbn27X.png

I'm gonna go have a cry

Hahahaha. This reminds me of something that happened to a friend/co-worker of mine when he still worked desktop support. One of the senior managers (over the system engineering group...) comes in and says he needs a "windows expert". So my friend goes over to his PC and the thing is completely locked up. Just...frozen. No interrupts, no ctrl+alt+delete, nothing. So my friend says "Sorry, nothing I can do" and hard boots it. This senior manager suddenly looks stricken and says "...I was working on an e-mail for over six hours."

"Did you save?"

"No..."

"Sorry. It's gone. When was the last time you rebooted?"

"Uh...6 months ago. I've gone that long before!"

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    On the other hand, that's a pretty good uptime on a Windows desktop!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    why is it called loose change

it just seems like they're asking for commentary along the lines of there not being very much cents involved

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Drama at work. They just started a new thing where they want people to sign a form stating they will pay the company back for training costs if they leave the company before 2 years (with some sort of pro - rated deal for leaving earlier than that). I haven't seen the contract, as I am probably not up for training due to not wanting to travel because of baby. But the first person who was approached declined to sign. They already paid for the training course, do they are pressuring somebody else to sign and go. I understand where the company is coming from, but there is no way I'd tie myself financially to this place. They promised a specific raise after 3 months, and failed to deliver. .. They don't pay their bills and are on shaky financial feet. I could see them not giving raises for 2 years and holding the training costs over our heads.

don't

sign

shit.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    The hell was he writing that took six hours?

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    It was the age of laziness, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of wasting time...

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    hlep somethign i s wrong with comupte r

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular

don't

sign

shit.
    Yeah, def. They are going to try to get their money back for the training, because no one would. The latest request was that somebody sign up for a credit cards to pay for their own flight and hotel, and the company would reimburse. Hahaha

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    There is a guy in the office that only talks to me when he is looking for company for lunch.

So if I met him he would just start yelling at me whenever I stood up?

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »

oh god."

NXbn27X.png

I'm gonna go have a cry

So that means any windows updates that require a restart never got ran? Our System Admin would explode if we went that long without installing updates.

funny story

the hard drive server that receives and pushes out windows updates to computers on the network filled up, and no one noticed for possibly months? when someone did eventually catch on, they cleared as much space as they could, and it immediately filled back up with new updates

so they cleared it again

and it filled up again

I'm not sure where this process stops, but it sure explains why users were calling on Monday morning wondering why they had installed 40+ updates on friday when they were leaving, and another 20-30 when they got back to the office.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Sassori wrote: »

So if I met him he would just start yelling at me whenever I stood up?

And sniff your butt.

• Options

"A report"

So...creepy fanfiction, I'm guessing.

• Options
    had a user the other week call to complain that he'd lost a document he'd been working on when we did a scheduled after-hours software upgrade that included two automatic reboots

so I checked his computer for A) autorecovery copies of the documents, B) any sign of a local working copy from our document management system

between checking those files, and the document history records from within the DMS, I was able to determine with absolute certainty that he had checked out the document at noon two days before the upgrade, and in the 2.5-3 days he had it open and was working on it, he clicked "Save" precisely zero times.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Pirusu wrote: »

"A report"

So...creepy fanfiction, I'm guessing.

He had to submit a one page report on how his jeyboarding lessons are prigressing

Edit: this is what I get for phone posting. Laughing too much to want to correct it

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I assumed it was intentional, and got a good laugh out of it

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I just got a phonecall

from my

NEW BOSS

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    GUYS I AM SO FUCKING HYPED

I WANT TO DROP A MIC AND WALK OUT OF THIS PLACE FLIPPING EVERYBODY DOUBLE BIRDS AND THEN FIREBOMB THE BUILDING

This discussion has been closed.