Options

The Book of [Job Thread]

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Hey job thread, quick question

If I have a teaching credential but it is completely unrelated to the kind of employment I would like in the future, can I leave that education off my resume?

I went to grad school for a year, earned the credential, did substitute teaching, had a nervous breakdown as I realized I was an incredibly bad fit for that profession, and am now looking into office work while studying for accounting.

Right now I feel that including that education/credential on my resume is giving potential employers the impression that I might bail if I get offered a teaching position (there is 0% chance I would take an offer even if it somehow dropped into my lap). I really won't bail! But I'm hesitant to cut it from my resume, as it's a year of 'employment gap' where I was student teaching, and I'm not sure if it's considered dishonest to exclude education.

Does anyone know the etiquette here?

Special shout-out to @Mully, as her help with my resume helped me land the temp position I have now. Thanks again, Mully!

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Today I got to email an employee's leaders to tell them that we're pretty sure he's been falsifying compliments from guests for himself

He's been sending them as emails from at least 3 different "families"

ALL FROM THE SAME EMAIL ADDRESS

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »
    Today I got to email an employee's leaders to tell them that we're pretty sure he's been falsifying compliments from guests for himself

He's been sending them as emails from at least 3 different "families"

ALL FROM THE SAME EMAIL ADDRESS

WHICH HE USED IN A CRAIGSLIST POSTING SIGNED WITH HIS NAME LOOKING FOR A HOUSE NEAR THE PLACE OF WORK

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    FOR GOD'S SAKE, MAN, HOW MANY NICKELBACK ALBUMS DO YOU NEED?

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    pft, smart thing would hire a few mechanical turk people to do that on the sly

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Hey job thread, quick question

If I have a teaching credential but it is completely unrelated to the kind of employment I would like in the future, can I leave that education off my resume?

I went to grad school for a year, earned the credential, did substitute teaching, had a nervous breakdown as I realized I was an incredibly bad fit for that profession, and am now looking into office work while studying for accounting.

Right now I feel that including that education/credential on my resume is giving potential employers the impression that I might bail if I get offered a teaching position (there is 0% chance I would take an offer even if it somehow dropped into my lap). I really won't bail! But I'm hesitant to cut it from my resume, as it's a year of 'employment gap' where I was student teaching, and I'm not sure if it's considered dishonest to exclude education.

Does anyone know the etiquette here?

Special shout-out to @Mully, as her help with my resume helped me land the temp position I have now. Thanks again, Mully!

Include it, but note on your cover letter that while you trained for teaching and have the experience and skillset, it is not for you, but you're excited to see how you can leverage that experience to help make their company better.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »

It's a science experiment.

How much Nickelback before a man kills himself.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    @Didgeridoo‌ :D YAY! Happy to hear it dude! Feel free to recommend me on LinkedIn if you'd like ;) (my resume writing portion is further down the page.)

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Having made it through what I hope was executive's daughters danceclub remix-athon, I was enocuraged to hear the unmistakable first licks of energised electric guitar and power chords and....

...wait. No.

Oh God No...

...Nickelback.

On behalf of Canada, I just want to say...
    These five words in my head
    Scream "are we having fun yet?"

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    Working on the weekend to make deadline.

I'm not the only one here.

Executive in the corner office is pumping out Adele at 90db.

...because coming into the office on the weekend was apparently not pain enough.

I have always felt like Queen is a pretty universal jam for those situations, but I am always willing to cater to my audience.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Thanks to some (training) troubles at the Tim's drive through, both the lady at the window and myself completely forgot about my tea. Which is no big deal, it was a freebie I'd won via their annual cup-based contest.

The real problem is that I usually use the cup for my self made tea at the middle and bear the end of my shift. So now I'm using the washed out bowl from the soup I also bought.

My tea is going to taste like cream of potato leek.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    I've actually been winning on roll-up the rim this year!

Applied to go work for a company doing some customer-servicey-slash-PR work. They make a videogame about space and the ninjas therein.

This PoliSci degree is a valuable commodity.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Sweet! I don't currently have a Linked-In (probably should), but whenever I get around to making one I'll be sure to comment, Mully!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Actively trying to get someone fired.

Man.

What a piece of shit.

Had a coworker at a previous job who did that shit.
    I was an inside repair tech for construction lasers and GPS stuff, and he was the traveling sales guy.
    He would show up in the morning and forward the office phone to his cell phone.
    He'd tell the boss I never showed up for work and then the boss would call the office and sales dude would answer. (Boss worked at HQ in texas).
    Boss eventually called me on my cell and was like "dude why are you not showing up?" and I was pretty confused.
    I ended up leaving after sales guy was putting out unauthorized job postings for my job and interviewing people for the job and badmouthing me to the applicants? I dunno what the hell that was all about. I ended up calling the boss and told him if sales guy didn't stop defaming me I would have to get my lawyers involved. I got two free paychecks and didn't have to come back in. I had another job lined up so it all worked out pretty well

Holy shit, what a fucking psycho.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    This computer has like, a 12" monitor.

I didn't even know these still existed.

Never spend money to upgrade equipment, use it till it turns to dust. Right? That's how you run a good operation? Right?

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Had a member service complaint against me today. Before I clocked in, from a woman I didn't even interact with. WTF.

• Options
    You need to get your doppelganger under control.

Dude's pulling some shenanigans.

• Options
    7.5 hours down, 9.5 hours to go

Just gotta make it through tomorrow at 1 so I can get my Dungeon Mastering on

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    There's a fueler that fuels a lot of the same planes as me, and in every fuel panel he writes yungmoola23rdz Xbox or ps3.

The tide of public opinion seems to have turned because now a lot of them have "sucks" or "is a loser" attached

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    He's probably really bad at video games.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

It's a science experiment.

How much Nickelback before a man kills himself.

One.

One Nickelback.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

Never spend money to upgrade equipment, use it till it turns to dust. Right? That's how you run a good operation? Right?

hahaha oh man you should see some university research labs.

You'd think that because you're doing research would mean you'd have the latest stuff, but a lot of the time it's the exact opposite.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Ugh working on the weekend sucks, but at least no one else is in the office so I can play netflix or music on my second screen.

Also sucks when you look at the glass door.com profile of your company and see nothing positive said at all.

• Options
    At least that gives you an opportunity to nod saged and knowingly.

We don't get enough chances to do that.

You can read the reviews, stroke your beard and puff your pipe, going "Yes, yes."

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

hahaha oh man you should see some university research labs.

You'd think that because you're doing research would mean you'd have the latest stuff, but a lot of the time it's the exact opposite.

This. Our autoclave spends more time out of order than it does working by about a 9:1 ratio. Every time I wash the glassware I have to use the 'clave three floors down, which is even more ancient and never dries properly.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Then again, i dont really understand glassdoor, its got to be like 95% negative, but it does confirm some of the issues i have with work, but leaves me wondering if just all companies have these problems or something.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Then again, i dont really understand glassdoor, its got to be like 95% negative, but it does confirm some of the issues i have with work, but leaves me wondering if just all companies have these problems or something.

All companies, ever.

My hypothesis is that shitty employees get really good at covering their tracks and blaming their failures on other decent and average working stiffs.

To confirm this hypothesis, I will need a hammer, needle-nose pliers, car battery, jumper cables, and no less than one hundred involuntary volunteers; it's important that all of the volunteers be hand-picked by my highly-capable assistants.

All assistants will be selected from the Social Entropy secretarial pool, initial screening procedures will begin April 1st of this year of 2014.

Preferential treatment will not be extended to those applicants not possessing a significant amount of alcohol and/or working knowledge of how to manufacture said alcohol via distillery and/or brewery.

The first applicant to introduce a successful crowdfunding initiative will receive a bonus package that rivals the ancient pleasure dome of Kublai Khan, so mote it be.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Graduation day!

Just realized that I am wearing the suit I graduated college in to watch my students graduate Jr. High.

I am glad this thing has a lot of pockets for tissues.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Back in the office on a Sunday.

No executive today.

Current playlist queue:
    Alice in Chains
    Tool
    Led Zepplin
    The Clash
    Soundgarden

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Is it sad that after getting trounced at another Netrunner tourney, the only thing I want to do is head into work and work.. even though I don't have any work to do?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    A little.

I mean, it's work.

• Options
    Fuck you, daylight savings time. I'm working 17 hours today, going home at 11p just to be back at 5a and you're stealing one of my few, precious hours of sleep?

Not cool, man. Not cool.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Could be worse. It could be stealing one of your work hours and your company doesn't do anything about it.

I mean, they do count the extra hour in fall, but that's not now.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Wrong thread.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Wrong thread.

Is it?

Is it really?

• Options
    Wait I have to go to bed an hour early tonight to sleep the right amount of time? I would rather not sleep

• Options
    Hey man.

Just party.

Party hard.

• Options
    Hey man.

Just party.

Party hard.

Rock and roll all night.

Do some partying every day.

Squeeze in the occasional nap.

Lather.

Rinse.

Repeat.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Jesus graduations are long and boring. The Japanese way of giving speeches is so boring. They just read them straight off a piece of paper they are holding in front of them.

Still, the students actually getting their diplomas was rad, as the goodbye song was super sad and I cried a bunch.

What really surprised me is during one of the speeches, where the students had to stand, two of the 1st and 2nd graders just straight up fainted and fell over. The nurse went over to attend to them and they were fine but like, everyone acted like this was perfectly normal. No one really batted an eye. I have never seen someone faint before. I don't even get how one faints just from standing.

• Options
    Commas are very important.

Just had an awesome mental image of different depictions of Jesus in mortarboard and robe.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

This discussion has been closed.