Options

The Book of [Job Thread]

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    It's good that he walked. I mean, mom wasn't there, but dad was glad to see him get his diploma.

It was a long time coming.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Jesus graduations are long and boring. The Japanese way of giving speeches is so boring. They just read them straight off a piece of paper they are holding in front of them.

Still, the students actually getting their diplomas was rad, as the goodbye song was super sad and I cried a bunch.

What really surprised me is during one of the speeches, where the students had to stand, two of the 1st and 2nd graders just straight up fainted and fell over. The nurse went over to attend to them and they were fine but like, everyone acted like this was perfectly normal. No one really batted an eye. I have never seen someone faint before. I don't even get how one faints just from standing.

They try to stand extra straight and lock their knees.

I think the high school marching band loses at least one person every year during the Memorial Day ceremony to locked knees.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    No, they stood up too fast. The blood rushed to their brains and that was too much blood. So it went: NOPE, LAY DOWN.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I remember boot camp and at least one recruit in formation that locked his knees during a rather extended inspection; the recruit in question usually ended up with a concussion.

Don't lock your knees, flex your thighs and calves, breathe slow and steady.

• Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    I go to school for work.

Also I grade papers of really, really, really dumb kids.

Why you gotta be dumb all the time, kids?

tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    No, they stood up too fast. The blood rushed to their brains and that was too much blood. So it went: NOPE, LAY DOWN.

Yeah the part where he says they had to stand confused me. They had to stand up and they fainted, it they had to remain standing and they up and fainted?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    They had to stand for the whole duration of the speech.

They fainted while standing.

• Options
    Woo, I got it!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I remember boot camp and at least one recruit in formation that locked his knees during a rather extended inspection; the recruit in question usually ended up with a concussion.

Don't lock your knees, flex your thighs and calves, breathe slow and steady.

I almost fell asleep in a formation once. I was so hopped up on cold medicine.

• Options
    I was once in the middle of a solo in a choral performance, and a guy in the backup choir...

Well, he took a deep breath after standing and singing for an hour... Then vomited. Then fainted.

Took three kids out on the way.

I didn't miss a beat.

• Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    I was in choir in like 5th grade or something. We were doing our big concert at the high school. All the parents were there.

We begin singing "One Single Light" or some shit, because god forbid you have a public school choir that doesn't sing Christian songs... anyway.

All these 5th-grade brats start doing their best impression of singing when -- BLAIRGH!! This kid goes and fucking yacks all over the god damned place.

My shoes were a fucking wreck.

tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I was once in the middle of a solo in a choral performance, and a guy in the backup choir...

Well, he took a deep breath after standing and singing for an hour... Then vomited. Then fainted.

Took three kids out on the way.

I didn't miss a beat.

In one of our performances we once had the soloist for one gospel song accidentally lead us into a couple key changes a step or so higher than they should have been. We trucked on and the audience thought it was intentional and awesome, but we almost lost one of our tenors towards the end.

And dude was huge, like 6'6" and 300 lbs.

With where he was placed in the choir he'd have taken a quarter of us with him.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Pitch too high.

Blacking out.

Wrecking ball mode, engage.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Thankfully, I remain partially tone deaf so I don't ever get asked to sing in public.

Which is a shame, really, because I have a fairly nice, deep-end of baritone speaking voice, just shy of bass.

• Options
    Thankfully, I remain partially tone deaf so I don't ever get asked to sing in public.

Which is a shame, really, because I have a fairly nice, deep-end of baritone speaking voice, just shy of bass.

Se++ Barbershop Quartet is go

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    It only occurs to me tonight, that since I'm the only person in the building and there's a bunch of stuff in my peripheral vision that moves in the wind, when I'm at my station, I really shouldn't expose myself to spooky things.

Been startled by too many mundane things, this weekend.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Ugh, I bid for a new schedule in a few days and I am stressing out about it.

One hand has weekends off, and more daytime shifts, but no days off with @Sheri for a while and I probably won't be able to raid with the Shamblers at all probably.

Other hand is basically what I have now, maybe slightly better, but continuing to be invisible to everyone who works normal hours.

• Options
    I don't know what the fuck this woman's parents were thinking, but I am most certainly cracking up over her middle name.

Honestly, who gives anyone a middle name like 'Murgittroyd' and expects to be respected at the end of the day?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I didn't even realize that was an accepted spelling, but google seems to like it.
    Of course that name is forever ruined for me, because it was the name of one of the aliens in the My Teacher is an Alien books when I was a kid.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Teaching interview today.

TIME TO SUIT UP.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Holy shit.

There's no coffee maker here.

This ...

This is completely unacceptable.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    One of the nice things about working in an education related job like a public library is that everyone is super enthusiastic about employees getting better education related jobs.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Holy shit.

This ...

Are you working in a North Korean prison camp?

• Options
    I wish every electric wheelchair was made with a pop-out battery and easily removable seat.

Not just to make my job easier, but to reduce the risk to the wheelchair during loading and unloading from a plane. 250lbs with no handles is a son of a gun to lift and when the chair doesn't fold down, we have to put the chair on its side to get it in the bin door.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    My Pi, Pie, and Einstein book display is doing surprisingly well. Not as well as my Irish-American display, I can barely keep those Irish books stocked. Amazingly, all the actual math Pi books have been checked out. I've put in orders for more.

I may have placed the second season of Magnum P.I. on there to see if anyone notices.

• Options
    Hunter wrote: »
    Holy shit.

This ...

Are you working in a North Korean prison camp?

They don't seem to realize exactly how dangerous the situation is; without sufficient levels of caffeine, a marine is trained to rely on pure hatred to accomplish a mission.

I can't be held responsible for my actions anymore, we're through The Looking Glass.

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I was sick all weekend, too sick to do much of anything. Started feeling bad right at the end of the day on Friday. So naturally I wake up on Monday mostly better. Apparently my body likes work and does not want to miss any of it.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    man I couldn't sleep last night because I was planning out my schedule to run around like a maniac today but then they pushed the deadline back another ten days and I'm wanting my three hours of sleep back.

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    I just spilled coffee with enough velocity to hit myself, my phone, both monitors, both keyboards and the wall. Blaming this whole "losing an hour" nonsense.
    Is it too early to take a standing eight-count and call it a day?

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    My head hurts so bad I legit might throw up. I haven't thrown up at work in years. Today is gonna be a long one.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    They finished doing the time clock stuff to send into payroll.

"How many hours did I end up with for the pay period?" I inquire.

They respond, "Let's see...120."

In my head I politely respond
    Phelps.gif

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    The coffee here immediately caused my stomach to twist in a not.
    Combined with my allergies absolutely kicking my ass and the time shift from the weekend, I am not feeling super great today.

• Options
    Interview in 12 minutes. Going to try and find the office of my old JROTC teacher afterward. He in charge of the district now.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Dude.

Just walk in, pop, then lock, and go:

"YEAAAAHHHH BOOOOOOYYYYY!"

They'll have to give you the job.

Plus a new specially designed chair, to accommodate your gigantic balls.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I just wrote my resignation letter.

Everyone I have talked to has told me to walk into my boss's office and shit on his desk or some variation (My favourite one was climb a corner of his office while he's in a meeting, throw my hands wide, yell "I'M OUT, BITCHES" and flying elbow drop into the conference table, but I'm worried I'd need them to call me an ambulance and that really dims the whole storming out feel of it) but instead I've just written a short, grateful letter, thanking him for hiring me while I wasn't even in the country yet. Because shitty, upsetting work conditions aside, I was incredibly lucky to get this job, and moving to another country, having a steady paycheck as soon as you land is basically invaluable.

I'll ask him for a minute as soon as he arrives! Hopefully a good chunk of my two weeks notice is taken up with hiring and training my replacement, because I suddenly give absolutely no fucks about my workload.

• Options
    Interview done! It was a 1 on 1 with the head HR lady and only preliminary. She said my decade of library experience put me in good standing and the whole thing seemed super positive!

Next step is waiting around till April when she contacts me to setup interviews at schools.

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Was there any sex?

• Options
    Of course there was.

Tim's a dashingly handsome penguin.

Who doesn't want to fuck him?

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Penguins are pretty great.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    This is the Monday'est Monday that ever Mondayed.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
This discussion has been closed.