It's [Science!]

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Science has created "ghostly presences"
    The team believes when people sense a ghostly presence, the brain is getting confused: it's miscalculating the body's position and identifying it as belonging to someone else.
    Two of the participants found the sensation so strange, they asked for the experiments to stop.

I've totally felt the "someone is following me in this dark parking structure" sensation, I wonder if that is related. Is my brain broken?

No someone really is following you.

Don't turn around.

Ever.

wc221.gif

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    The team believes when people sense a ghostly presence, the brain is getting confused: it's miscalculating the body's position and identifying it as belonging to someone else.
    Two of the participants found the sensation so strange, they asked for the experiments to stop.

I've totally felt the "someone is following me in this dark parking structure" sensation, I wonder if that is related. Is my brain broken?

It could easily be your brain hearing your own echo coming from bizzar angles with a delay it is not used to dealing with, and doing basically the exact same sort of thing with input that doesn't quite match what it expects itself to be making.

Or you could be broken.

Or it could be totally broken.

The, oh crap something else is here, reflect is probably pretty strong for a lot of evolutionary reasons.

go on...

EH28YFo.jpg
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    'Reflex'

Like... The whole not being eaten or murdered, and finding people to eat and murder and rape. Dovetails well with various versions of fitness.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Apparently the surviving pilot of the Virgin Galactic crash had a wild ride.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/11/04/virgin-galactic-spaceshiptwo-wreckage-found-35-miles-from-crash-site-human-error-not-ruled-out/
    Scaled Composites employees, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they have been forbidden from talking with the media, are calling Siebold’s survival miraculous, and they describe his escape like something out of a movie script. According to sources, Siebold found himself flying through the air while still attached to his ejection seat. When he spotted the chase plane, he managed to give the pilot inside a thumb’s up, and then unbuckled himself at about 17,000 feet, deploying his parachute. He landed under his own power and suffered a shoulder injury from the force of the parachute that required minor surgery.

Alternate headline: "Science Teaches Robots How to Fool Human Senses"
    sub-header "Are Your Children Safe From 'Ghost Touching' Robots?"

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Apparently the surviving pilot of the Virgin Galactic crash had a wild ride.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/11/04/virgin-galactic-spaceshiptwo-wreckage-found-35-miles-from-crash-site-human-error-not-ruled-out/
    Scaled Composites employees, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they have been forbidden from talking with the media, are calling Siebold’s survival miraculous, and they describe his escape like something out of a movie script. According to sources, Siebold found himself flying through the air while still attached to his ejection seat. When he spotted the chase plane, he managed to give the pilot inside a thumb’s up, and then unbuckled himself at about 17,000 feet, deploying his parachute. He landed under his own power and suffered a shoulder injury from the force of the parachute that required minor surgery.

You know, this is amazing and all...but the weird thing, like every single mid-air break up story tends to go like this. There was a guy who survived his SR-71 disintegrating who had pretty much the exact same experience. It's just all "and so I realized I was actually falling, but couldn't see anything because my visor had iced up..."

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    People who fly experimental aircraft have the absolute biggest balls of all time. Even the ladies, you would be shocked at the grapefruits swinging between their legs.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I think if we put forth just a bit of effort we can find a descriptor for 'the right stuff' that doesn't measure a woman using a man for the base line.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Their asses.

They be bad

EH28YFo.jpg
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I think if we put forth just a bit of effort we can find a descriptor for 'the right stuff' that doesn't measure a woman using a man for the base line.

Honestly the entire imagery is just off the mark. What exactly is desirable about having a gigantic scrotum? Does anybody see one and just go, "Oh yeah!"?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

Yeah, after hitting post I face palmed for the inherent sexism in that post.

I stand firmly behind the sentiment of the post, but I really need a better descriptor metaphor.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

I stand firmly behind the sentiment of the post, but I really need a better descriptor metaphor.

Will of Iron
    Spine of Steel
    Brains of Platinum
    Toes of Cesium

Honestly "[Body part] of [Material]" seems to work pretty well all told.

Taramoor wrote: »

Will of Iron
    Spine of Steel
    Brains of Platinum
    Toes of Cesium

Ovaries of Carbon Fiber?

Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »

Will of Iron
    Spine of Steel
    Brains of Platinum
    Toes of Cesium

Ovaries of Carbon Fiber?

With freeway onramps for arms, and a heart as black as coal!

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well. This has gone to a strange place.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I was prepared to say this:

"In all honesty, it's still a viable metaphor. Testosterone is correlated with increased aggression, and since the testicles are a major producer of the hormone, it's not unfair to say that someone who willingly takes big risks has big balls, regardless of actual physical sex."

But! I decided to check in with Wikipedia just for a gut-check/smoke test, and apparently the research is jumbled and other factors have far stronger correlations.

So, y'know. Being skeptical of your assumptions! It's [SCIENCE]!

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Made of sterner stuff.

• PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

I'm curious how this relates to say, out-of-body experiences, or extra-sensory cognition phenomena.

Also, I recall reading once that the reason many people think they 'hear' ghosts, or other phenomena, is due to how utterly poor our brains are at comprehending and understanding 'silence' as a psychological concept, and that often our minds will 'construct' noise as a coping mechanism.

Priest on
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

No someone really is following you.

Don't turn around.

Ever.

wc221.gif

The Quantum Serial Killer.

He's only there when you're looking at him.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I think the term you are looking for is that test pilots have "guts". Or "a death wish".

Exhibit A: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Glenn
    He flew his Panther in 63 combat missions, gaining the dubious nickname "magnet ass" from his alleged ability to attract enemy flak. On two occasions, he returned to his base with over 250 holes in his aircraft.

Also, he was in the Senate. Crazy bastard.

First American to orbit the Earth is all fine and dandy. Death wish, ya know. But he went back up in the aging space shuttle program at the ripe old age of 77 himself. Wut?

Guts, I tell ya.

Intestinal Fortitude.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Priest wrote: »

I'm curious how this relates to say, out-of-body experiences, or extra-sensory cognition phenomena.

Also, I recall reading once that the reason many people think they 'hear' ghosts, or other phenomena, is due to how utterly poor our brains are at comprehending and understanding 'silence' as a psychological concept, and that often our minds will 'construct' noise as a coping mechanism.

I have a co-worker who reacts to silence in the exact same way.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I think the term you are looking for is that test pilots have "guts". Or "a death wish".

Exhibit A: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Glenn
    He flew his Panther in 63 combat missions, gaining the dubious nickname "magnet ass" from his alleged ability to attract enemy flak. On two occasions, he returned to his base with over 250 holes in his aircraft.

Also, he was in the Senate. Crazy bastard.

First American to orbit the Earth is all fine and dandy. Death wish, ya know. But he went back up in the aging space shuttle program at the ripe old age of 77 himself. Wut?

Guts, I tell ya.

John Glenn is like the original of which John McCain is the tenth generation photocopy of.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • NatinatorNatinator Registered User regular

Penis of Potential...

Wait, am I doing this right?

Steam ID: natinator Xbox Live: Natman PRIME LoL: A1 Sauce
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2014
    Priest wrote: »

Most neurons have an expected base rate of firing, and if they are not firing appropriately they will slide their threshold to rectify that. For an analogous example, being in (actual) total darkness will result in pings of light eventually as retinal cells try to acclimate, followed by crazy hallucinations of streaks as the visual cortex does the same thing.

edit: Both tinnitus an phantom limb are caused by similar things. In fact, in the old days they would try to treat tinnitus by cutting the cochlear nerve, since patients would say that complete silence was preferable to the tinnitus. Unfortunately, tinnitus is a cortical issue caused by not receiving proper stimulation (at least, as I recall) so this made the condition much worse. The patients couldn't hear but the auditory cortex was trying to anyway.

Shivahn on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Yea, I've got tinnitus in one ear and I've gotta say, broken neurons/nerves defaulting to a state of "always on" does not seem like a point in favor of intelligent design in my book. Although there are different kinds of tinnitus, and the problem area could be anywhere from the ear to the brain, with some causes being more treatable than others.

• PriestPriest Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    Yea, I've got tinnitus in one ear and I've gotta say, broken neurons/nerves defaulting to a state of "always on" does not seem like a point in favor of intelligent design in my book. Although there are different kinds of tinnitus, and the problem area could be anywhere from the ear to the brain, with some causes being more treatable than others.

Archer has removed my ability to take Tinnitus seriously. (Which is terrible because I go hunting semi-infrequently, and protecting my hearing should probably be higher on that list of things I care about).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tekhh7Iy-sM

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Scooter wrote: »

Yes this is true, it's not an area I know a ton about. But I went to a talk recently where it came up and found the fact that some types work like that fascinating.

• Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    The time has come for Philae's landing attempt on Comet 67P:
    http://new.livestream.com/ESA/cometlanding
    Should touch down around 11:00 AM EST.

• Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    XKCD's comic today is updating to follow the landing:
    http://xkcd.com/1446/

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    More people should be watching the comet landing.
    History in the making.

• [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    More people should be watching the comet landing.
    History in the making.

I made a thread! For some reason I thought everyone would be watching it.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Harpoons in space you say?

http://youtu.be/60BjkUtqxPE

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Seems like the harpoons didn't work. Call off the whalers

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

And that's why it had drill feet, harpoons, and a rocket on top. Triple redundancy!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

http://youtu.be/1Isjgc0oX0s

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    It's landed safely! Weee

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I was wondering something today.

What would be the benefit to colonizing Mars?

• SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »

Plenty of PR, some practice making moderate duration space flights. That's about it from immediate benefits. There might be some lessons to be learned with building a habitat on another planet, but nothing comes to mind.

Getting people excited about funding space again would be easily the biggest benefit, then you just hope you can slide a bunch of the funding over to more useful science instead of the PR boondoggle.

Kadoken wrote: »

Space.

We have a lot of people and we need somewhere to put them.

This discussion has been closed.