As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tales of] Your Mom - Best Dog Is Back

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Though I do agree that I find Leia less useful in this installment
    Really? I'm still clearing all kinds of groups of enemies with her and Ludger using their link artes.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Though I do agree that I find Leia less useful in this installment
    Really? I'm still clearing all kinds of groups of enemies with her and Ludger using their link artes.

Well, everyone has great link artes so that alone isn't that big of deal to me.

Just that she doesn't do as much to stand out as she did before.

I think the thing that changed for me is now that you can't change your party on the fly and now that almost everyone in the party has at least one heal spell she isn't as standout as she used to be.

I mean her buffs are nice but I just find myself using the more specialized people.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    You know, sometimes I am like Ludger Will Kresnik, Ace Cat Detective all finding cats left and right. And then sometimes I am like "I SWEAR THERE ARE NO CATS IN THIS AREA. THEY JUST PUT ZERO CATS HERE"

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    I feel you Blackjack, I really do. I once spent 40 minutes looking in Mon Highlands for a certain cat, until I got help looking for it on gamefaqs. The only means of alleviating my boredom while looking was playing the "what's this item gonna be?" game along with a "BACURAAAAAA!" game where you go into a frenzied sprint towards a bacura on the map and yell out its name repeatedly until you get into a fight with it.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    I feel you Blackjack, I really do. I once spent 40 minutes looking in Mon Highlands for a certain cat, until I got help looking for it on gamefaqs. The only means of alleviating my boredom while looking was playing the "what's this item gonna be?" game along with a "BACURAAAAAA!" game where you go into a frenzied sprint towards a bacura on the map and yell out its name repeatedly until you get into a fight with it.

I need one from the Royal Hunting Grounds and Kukhar Ice Caverns. I am well acquainted with both of those games.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    The "BACURAAAAA!" game is really really fun. So there's that at least :P

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I think some cats can only be found with Kitty Dispatch. Not sure though.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Most cats, in fact. But I can't even find the first cats to unlock Kitty Dispatch for those areas.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    lol, Elle is too damn cute at times.

Elle: "Wow, you sure have a lot of weapons!"
    Ludger: "Yup!" *scratches back of head*
    Elle: "Daddy says 'A Jack-of-All Trades is an Ace-of-None'!"
    Ludger: *sigh*

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    I have a certain personality I like watching game on YouTube and Twitch. He loved Xillia, but knew its flaws, and really liked Jude. I got to watch him gush over the game for hours.

'Ooo, I get the Palm move early!'
    'Ooo, I can do artes in the air!'
    'Nova, kiss my ass!'

I started taking bets on when he'd stop playing Jude and start realizing how broke Ludger was. Happened exactly when I thought, when he got the guns. Because he's a DMC fan, and being able to play Dante Lite in a Tales game is something he'd NEVER pass up. He spent a good 20 minutes eating gels and just experimenting on Ivar, squealing the whole time.

Glad I was there.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    ...welp, @Gaming-Freak is officially going to win the race.

BRB playing poker forever

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Wait...you can gamble in this?

Oh no...must resist but I got bills to pay.

• Options
    Wait...you can gamble in this?

Oh no...must resist but I got bills to pay.

You think they'd add in debt without the ability to gamble? 90% of why people gamble is to help with debt. I'd be disappointed if it wasn't in the game.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options

whoa whoa whoa... where's the gambling den? And how did I not discover it by now? D:

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options

whoa whoa whoa... where's the gambling den? And how did I not discover it by now? D:

Someone isn't doing all the sidequests...

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited August 2014

Someone isn't doing all the sidequests...

I actually found out about it when I looked it up. I did the Tengu mask side-quest, but I didn't expect the outcome being that you're allowed to play Poker now. Go figure.

EDIT: Holy fuck, there's costumes available as prizes for winning at poker. BRB playing poker forever. Fun tip though for anyone curious, you never lose money as long as you have a pair. So if you have a pair, hold it no matter what.

EDIT 2: And there's a nicely convenient save point right next to the poker dealer. Save scumming done right!

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    ...oh my god I love the translations for the titles.

Leia's stealing titles are, in order:
    Riff-Raff
    Street-Rat
    She-Don't-Buy-That

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    "She-don't-buy-that". Nice.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Though it lacks healing, I'm really liking that I can now run a 100% "people with swords" party. Ludger linked with Gaius for some crazy awesome link artes, and then Alvin and Milla around to do whatever it is they do. My chief issue with the game right now is the fact that I've got 9 fucking characters and have to go back to town to switch them out. That's some tedious shit right there. But I do have like, 70 cats, so at least I'm mostly done with cat hunting (other than the ones found via dispatch).

• Options
    Though it lacks healing, I'm really liking that I can now run a 100% "people with swords" party. Ludger linked with Gaius for some crazy awesome link artes, and then Alvin and Milla around to do whatever it is they do. My chief issue with the game right now is the fact that I've got 9 fucking characters and have to go back to town to switch them out. That's some tedious shit right there. But I do have like, 70 cats, so at least I'm mostly done with cat hunting (other than the ones found via dispatch).

It's not like going to town is difficult. Just R3 and you're there.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Well it took a while but I got 37k chips from poker. Enough to buy a costume and something else. I save scummed to check out the outfits, and it seems like the ones for Alvin and Milla are the unlockable ones you could get from the Black Feather quest in the previous game. Ludger's gambling outfit is silly yet somewhat cool, and the hairstyle isn't bad either. His No Jacket 2 outfit is literally just his shirt untucked and no tie, lol.

EDIT: AHAHAHA! A Royal Flush AND a Five of a Kind within 20 minutes of each other. I officially dub myself King of Poker

EDIT: Just finished Chapter 11.... whelp, that got freaking dark and depressing real quick.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options

It's not like going to town is difficult. Just R3 and you're there.

True, but if you're in the middle of a dungeon or field area, you can't go right back to where you were.

It's just one of those things that doesn't add anything to the game (since it's not like it increases the challenge), but adds more tedious nonsense, so I don't like it, and don't understand the point of it. IIRC, you could swap at any time in ToX1.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    The "BACURAAAAA!" game is really really fun. So there's that at least :P

The fact that they made bacura creatures part of the 'kill a zillion to optimize your characters SP' game AND made several different kinds of Bacura is just so fucking evil.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Okay, game got super dark. Like super freaking dark. Chapter 12 doesn't screw around.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Can someone give me the quick rundown of the various ways of raising SP in Xillia 2?

I kinda skimmed through the tutorial on that part and realize now that I don't really know how it works..

• Options
    Can someone give me the quick rundown of the various ways of raising SP in Xillia 2?

I kinda skimmed through the tutorial on that part and realize now that I don't really know how it works..

Two ways.

1) Whenever your character learns a new skill they get half of that skills SP added to their SP pool.

2) Their are SP bonuses tied to defeating X number of almost every generic monster in the game. You can see how many by going to the "Enemy Data" menu under the Library tag.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Two ways.

1) Whenever your character learns a new skill they get half of that skills SP added to their SP pool.

2) Their are SP bonuses tied to defeating X number of almost every generic monster in the game. You can see how many by going to the "Enemy Data" menu under the Library tag.

Ahh that second one was the part I didn't fully grasp.

Thank you!

• Options
    Is it just me, or have arte usage # expectations gotten totally out of hand? I swear they used to cap at 100-500 uses to get every bonus effect. In this game, the arte isn't fully mastered (with all side effects added) until you've used it 9,999 times.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Clearly you can't master something unless the game makes you do it so many times you hate yourself for having done so.

• Options
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Clearly you can't master something unless the game makes you do it so many times you hate yourself for having done so.

Yeah, but that bullshit has been around forever. Remember FFX and dodging 100 lightning bolts? Yeah, fuck that challenge.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    It's actually 200 lightning bolts, and I just did it for the 2nd time in my life while working on my platinum FFX HD trophy. The lightning bolts are actually a cakewalk now that I know there's a spot where you can just force the lightning to strike exactly when you want it to. It took me 15 minutes start to finish. In 2001 or whatever when I played it the first time I did it without blinking, my eyes burning, hah.

6 or 7 hours of killing earth eater for fortune spheres was the worst part of the FFX grind for me, at least the most monotonous.

• Options
    Ew a timed dungeon I hate those.

camo_sig2.png

• Options

Not really timed. I actually got through it in 11 minutes though I didn't do all the "optional" stuff in it. You're not far behind me, actually.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options

Not really timed. I actually got through it in 11 minutes though I didn't do all the "optional" stuff in it. You're not far behind me, actually.
    That's good to know. I remember the similar dungeon in Xillia being huge so I thought it was a real timer.
    I also don't like where the story is heading. I much prefer Alt Milla. Don't want boring Milla back. :(

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular

That's good to know. I remember the similar dungeon in Xillia being huge so I thought it was a real timer.
    I also don't like where the story is heading. I much prefer Alt Milla. Don't want boring Milla back. :(

It's ok, you're in good company.
    Poor Elle. :(

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Eh...honestly...mid-late game stuff
    I can't say I care for the alt Millia. I find her childishness kind of grating.

Dragkonias on
  • Options

alt Milla got on my nerves, though I feel bad for Elle. And regular Milla isn't boring, but it's kind of awkward to just suddenly throw her back into the game.

Oh, and shit is about to get much MUCH darker. I wasn't joking about chapter 12.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    Still sad about spoilers but
    Prime Milla with her alternate color, sunglasses, and Leia's Beret looks like a biker chick and that is hilarious.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Oh god, Chapter 15... the feels. THE FEELS. Such an emotionally driven game. I take back what I said about the recycled areas and everything. The story reaches out so much to that personal level of emotion that you can't help but feel attached to.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    300,000 coins in under half an hour.

HOT HANDS! Come and get 'em!