As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tales of] Your Mom - Best Dog Is Back

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Thanks for whoever posted about the Alisha Story DLC on Bamco's User Rewards page a while back, saved me AND a friend. And here I was, sitting around and wondering if they were going to release it on Steam at all.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I like how in this Tales you can't go below 0 Grade for a fight no matter how often your party suicides against the dragon. In other Tales games I could sometimes lose a bunch of Grade because of AI stupidity.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I like how in this Tales you can't go below 0 Grade for a fight no matter how often your party suicides against the dragon. In other Tales games I could sometimes lose a bunch of Grade because of AI stupidity.

That's because the grade you get in battles isn't the same as the grade you use in the gradeshop. It'd be like giving negative experience, in this case.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    @Arteen
    Combat was a bit overwhelming for me at first also.
    What helped me was going into the section that shows the controller directions + button presses (artes) and just limiting that to one or two things (you may only have a couple depending on how far into the story you are).
    Once i got comfortable executing chains with normal square attacks and then using the direction plus circle, i added more variety into the combinations. Early on i just set things to "Auto" to grind out some mobs, then semi-auto is where i usually run now. I haven't messed with Seraph or other human attack stuff much at all and focused mainly on the main character.

When you want to change up what artes you are using the web has some good pages with way too much info like http://aselia.wikia.com/wiki/ToZ_-_Sorey:_Artes

Good luck!

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I... What.

This debt in Xillia 2. This can't be real, this is a story thing.

...... Oh my god it's real.

• Options
    Blackjack wrote: »

That's because the grade you get in battles isn't the same as the grade you use in the gradeshop. It'd be like giving negative experience, in this case.

Oh I know, and I'm thankful for that because some games DO take away EXP-type things.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Sorey's been kind of boring for the dozen hours I've played so far, but the cutscene when entering Lastonbell is pretty fantastic.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Sorey is kind of boring. Mikleo is kind of boring on his own.

The rest of the cast is hilarious.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Sorey and Mikleo shake things up by being the scholarly straight men in comedy while everyone else plays off them or their reactions.

But really all you need is Edna.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    scholarly straight men

Suuuuuuure they are.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    scholarly straight men

Suuuuuuure they are.

:biggrin:

• Options
    Okay... the Alisha DLC is okay, but they really padded it the fuck out at the end. With postgame-dungeon enemies. Jesus.

• Options
    Yeah, that last dungeon in Alisha's Story is absurd. I eventually just put it down to simple and popped a Holy Bottle because I was sick of it.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Game beaten and I checked the NG+ grade shop to see how it looked. Unfortunately my grade is waaaay lower than the things I want. Then I saw I was Level 72, and Mimic Zombies gave a good chunk of EXP, so I farmed them until I hit 76. Now I'm busy with the Mimic Giants/Drop Bottles trick earning 1.5 million Gald each go, which so far has let me 5* three shops, put Lohgrin's Lord at Level 20, everyone else's Lord at Level 13 (for movement), and I have a ton of treasure to dump on Ladylake/Marlind later since apparently shop ranks mean jack shit if the shop is in the first town. Here I thought they unlocked more things so they'd still be useful later in the game, but nope Ladylake will only sell apple gels forever, not even peach, which means I either have to shuttle stuff from Lohgrin's shop or just chuck treasure at Ladylake/Marlind only.

In any case, once I get the right amount of grade for the things I want in NG+ and some more achievements I'll make one and then do the Alisha DLC.

• Options
    Eh, I'd just do the Alisha DLC whenever, I didn't see any way to carry stuff over out of it. Maybe take an xp multiplier in.

There are like... five achievements or so for it? Maybe six? I'm not 100%. Three of them are for a single thing in it (it has a crucible for Alisha... and wants you to run it 11 times for some awful reason)

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Eh, I'd just do the Alisha DLC whenever, I didn't see any way to carry stuff over out of it. Maybe take an xp multiplier in.

There are like... five achievements or so for it? Maybe six? I'm not 100%. Three of them are for a single thing in it (it has a crucible for Alisha... and wants you to run it 11 times for some awful reason)

Game says if you load up Alisha's story with a NG+ file then you'll be able to transfer over stuff you get in it. If you haven't started a NG+ though, it gives you preset characters and nothing transfers over.

• Options

Game says if you load up Alisha's story with a NG+ file then you'll be able to transfer over stuff you get in it. If you haven't started a NG+ though, it gives you preset characters and nothing transfers over.

Yeah, I mean you can't then transfer back out as far as I can tell.

• Options
    Yeah, if you use a NG+ (or really any cleared data) you can use the grade shop for Alisha's Story (and if your character levels are higher than the preset ones they may transfer over, that one I don't know because mine were lower), but you can't take things from Alisha's Story to your cleared file.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Huh, that's weird. I've seen several things on the Japanese version's forums saying that you can transfer some stuff, though it doesn't go into specifics. One bad thing about playing an RPG right when it's new is there being next to no guides.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    What is this Alisha DLC, and is it available for PC? Not seeing it in the steam list.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    What is this Alisha DLC, and is it available for PC? Not seeing it in the steam list.

You have to go here, and you have to have a stupid Bamco account, but once you sign up for that, it's free. Do it before November 19.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Wonder if we'll be getting any more Zestiria DLC. I've heard about things like God Eater and such.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    If you want the Alisha DLC for PS4, you can get it easily here. For some reason, it really isn't grouped with the rest of the DLC and searching for "Alisha" in the actual PS4 store itself didn't work. (Couldn't actually get past the S, I don't think)

I really hope Bamco does Berseria better because all these little things (the weird "OP only has vocals if you're using Japanese voice track", no sharing whatsoever because of "licensing issues", etc.) are really piling up and annoying me, making it really hard to just enjoy the game.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    The OP vocals thing is a licensing issue I think.

The sharing bit is bullshit though, because it has a PC release.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    The OP vocals thing is a licensing issue I think.

The sharing bit is bullshit though, because it has a PC release.

If you try to use steam streaming thing it blacks it out.

Also I think the OP is better without the lyrics. Dat guitar.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Yeah, I prefer the guitar solo to the Engrish chorus.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Tales of Zestiria continues to be profoundly disappointing for local co-op. I've played further, but even in wide open fields, the camera still makes playing the game a painful experience. For example, the camera will only zoom out to a maximum level, and on many battlefields that may result in a situation where P2 is now off the screen. In fact, I would say there are more fights where P2 is not visible than ones where they are consistently on the screen. This has made it completely impractical to play as a melee character with P2. For controlling a spellcaster, it also means that you either crush all opposition effortlessly or you are at the mercy of the camera gods. Much of the time, this means your character gets killed offscreen and there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. It is readily apparent that more local co-op playtesting was done for Tales of Destiny 1, where the multiplayer was a complete afterthought, than was done in this game.

Other fun things you get to experience with local co-op is the camera zooming out so far that the entire field is covered in fog and no one can see what is happening, even though you are standing in a fogless green field. Or another fun observation, that the camera zooms out so far that all the sound effects become almost completely muted. Or massive animation framerate drops, so even though the entire screen might be at a minimum of 30 fps, the individual character animations are at much less than that. This makes dodging enemy tells much more difficult and much less enjoyable to watch on the screen. I did not expect this level of poor graphic performance on a PS4 game.

We tried playing a bit of the game as single player and it is much better. The camera, while still poor for a Tales game is not actively working to make playing the game a painful experience. Even in crowded indoor places, it is still playable, though sub-par.

Which is a real shame, because the characters and story are very enjoyable for a Tales game. Edna's comments on Arsenic were awe-inspiring.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I have to say that after watching someone LP Zestiria for a while, I'm legitimately disappointed in the character diversity. We have two blah paladin characters in Sorey and Alisha, THREE tsunderes with Mikleo, Edna and Dexel, and Rose is basically Leia and Alvin's lovechild. Lailah's about the only wild card in the game, which means she's the one that is hiding the BIG SECRET...

I mean I know the Tales series has their archtypes and they're sticking to it, but Zestiria has a depressing lack of character types even for a Tales game. That's... not good...

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Just finished the second Xillia game.

Both of those are superior to Zestiria in just about every area in my opinion. Got both major endings, prefer the Ludger ending.
    Sorry Elle, but yes, you are a fake. I spent the whole game dooming alternate realities and the people in them to oblivion I'm not dying for you when the actual you will just be born eventually.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »

Both of those are superior to Zestiria in just about every area in my opinion. Got both major endings, prefer the Ludger ending.
    Sorry Elle, but yes, you are a fake. I spent the whole game dooming alternate realities and the people in them to oblivion I'm not dying for you when the actual you will just be born eventually.
    Congrats on creating a time loop! :P

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Internet's out at home until Saturday at the earliest so I went back into Tales of Zestiria to spend some free time. Decided I'd farm some equipment up to +10 so I can Sanc it, since I think only Unnamed and Sanctified can be taken into NG+. So I pumped up Difficulty to Intense, set 3 Normin (+30 to enemy level) and went strolling into the Crucible near Lohgrin (since the more enemies you kill in one battle the more likely they'll drop stuff) with Sorey and Edna, expecting to be wiped out in a flash by Level 109 enemies hitting like trucks.

Holy shit it's just laughably easy with Edna. I Armatize into Earth and then proceed to spam backsteps mixed with Crystal Tower (hits everything on the field quickly) and Earth Shaker (also hits everything on the field a bit slower but harder). 9/10 of the mobs in there are resistant to Earth and it just doesn't matter because Crystal Tower spam will interrupt anything and Earth Shaker will chunk health if I'm allowed to get it off. The last round is two Cyclopz and I spam Earth Shaker to a quarter of their health and finish with Mystic Arte. If I do proceed to get stuck in a combo then I backstep and Fairy Circle back to full in one shot. And the more Iron Stances/ Preventi, and Invalada I keep getting on my gear the less likely I'm interrupted. It's less a grind now and more a loot pinata.

The spoils? Oodles of Bloodied Swords and earrings for Sorey, headbands for Edna, and chests, boots, rings for everyone else. The good stuff too. Things like Queen Ellis and Turbulent boots, Lindwer and Demon rings. Every couple cycles I go back to Lohgrin and fuse it all together then Offer the lower-tier stuff for Grade to empty inventory, since drop rate is higher the less you have. At this rate I'll be able to Sanc a bunch of stuff + Adamantite weapons I'm buying from Katz Korner before NG+. Might even take Rose into her Crucible with Edna to farm up daggers if Internet isn't back, since I think I recall something about how if you fuse the Sanc'd versions of Sorey's Bloodied Sword and Rose's Shadow Dweller then you get Sorey's ultimate weapon.

• Options
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »

Congrats on creating a time loop! :P

I didn't?
    The exact same thing happens as the so called "true" ending. The millionth catalyst occurs and origin destroys all fractured dimensions. The only difference is Ludger gets to live and the actual, real, Elle gets to be born. Which seems like a happier ending to me and makes more sense. The past isn't going to repeat itself because all of the fractured dimensions are gone. The whole thing is over.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Someone cracked the case and the game can now be played in 60 FPS:

https://github.com/Kaldaien/TZF/releases/tag/tzf_100

Gave it a spin and it's gorgeous.

• Options
    Internet's still out so I decided to do that NG+ thing now, just as a test run to see what transfers over. Got to the dark mirror and promptly had my ass handed to me by Level 89 Rose on SIMPLE duoed with a Level 49 Alisha. I was level 16.

Holy hell do I really need to grind back through the entire game to get my stuff back? That defeats the entire point of doing the grinding beforehand!

• Options
    Wait, what dark mirror? Am confused.

• Options
    Wait, what dark mirror? Am confused.
    In Lakehaven Heights, right outside the Galahad Ruins, is a dark mirror set into some rocks. Interacting with it in the first run does nothing. Interacting with it in NG+ gives the option to fight a Boss Rush with Shadow versions of your party members to win your stuff back from the previous game.

• Options
    So... things you didnt carry over via grade, or..?

• Options
    So... things you didnt carry over via grade, or..?

I keep getting conflicting information which is why I was trying to find out. I know you get your consumables immediately when carrying them over via Grade, but I kept none of my equipment when starting out. I'd heard that by using the dark mirror and winning the fight you get the rest.

• Options
    I see. I know there as an option for particular bits of equipment, but I don't know what it refers to with "unnamed".

Well, I also hacemt done.amy crazy gear grinding because I plan to save it for NG+ and trying to get triple-stacks.

Also, having 12x Soldur is possible and appeals to me as being completely dumb.

• Options
    I see. I know there as an option for particular bits of equipment, but I don't know what it refers to with "unnamed".

Well, I also hacemt done.amy crazy gear grinding because I plan to save it for NG+ and trying to get triple-stacks.

Also, having 12x Soldur is possible and appeals to me as being completely dumb.

Unnamed equipment is the "joke" items you get by beating the optional bosses in the final area. However, apparently Sanctified equipment counts for that too (which is bizarre because Sanctifying something GIVES it a name), which is what I was trying to claim from the mirror. I might try again, apparently the gear you have on when starting NG+ from the save file influences the level of the mirror fight. So since I had top tier stuff I had the worst fight possible. But by putting on the "joke" items (10 power each) then they get easier and I still get the Sanc'd stuff after winning. Maybe, I'll have to convince myself to do the opening sequence again, even if I still don't have Internet.