As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo eShop] So many classic games, so little time to play them all.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Who knew soccer + rpg wild work so well together?
    Thanks for the recomendation.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    TDawg wrote: »
    I'm looking at the eShop sale of Yoshi's Island, since I've never played the game before, and I notice that it is technically the GBA Super Mario Advance 3 version. Is there anything better/worse about this version I should know about?

It's worse. Some of the effects don't look as good because the GBA doesn't support them. The screen is also smaller so there are a few spots where you can't see the platform you're supposed to jump to, also Yoshi has a voice and his HNNNNNG sound effect.

Still, it's Yoshi's Island.
    Aw shucks. I might pass it up, then, in favor of either Zelda or Super Mario World. I played both as a kid, but never was able to finish them because I was even worse at games then than I am now.

It's the best version of Yoshi's Island on the market right now.

I'm more or less including Yoshi's New Island with that.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular

That kind of distinction reminds me of those misleading TV ads for movies.

"It's the #1 comedy movie in America!*"

*currently the only comedy movie in wide release

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Do we know when the last course pack is going to be available for Mario Golf?

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Do we know when the last course pack is going to be available for Mario Golf?

It's dated for tomorrow in Japan so it should be the same worldwide.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Dirty wrote: »

That kind of distinction reminds me of those misleading TV ads for movies.

"It's the #1 comedy movie in America!*"

*currently the only comedy movie in wide release

Indeed, which was largely the point. ;)

At the same time, though, it's also true... which is just terribly, terribly sad.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    This week's eShop update

Wii U Virtual Console

Super Dodge Ball

3DS Virtual Console

Super Dodge Ball

Wii U Download

Pushmo World
    Another World – 20th Anniversary Edition
    How to Survive
    GEOM
    Color Zen Kids

3DS Download

Another World – 20th Anniversary
    Euro Conqueror 3D
    Color Zen Kids
    Farming Simulator 14 (available June 24)

DSiWare

Fashion Tycoon
    My Aquarium: Seven Oceans
    Mysterious Stars: Singer
    ATV Fever
    ATV Quad Kings

eShop sales

Toki Tori 2+ – For a limited time, get Toki Tori 2+ at 60 percent off in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U. This offer ends at 9 a.m. PT on July 3.

Classic Games Overload – Starting today, Classic Games Overload is only $14.99 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS. This offer ends at 9 a.m. PT on July 7.

Fractured Soul – For a limited time, Fractured Soul is available at the discounted price of $5.99 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS. This offer ends at 9 a.m. PT on July 3.

Parking Star 3D – Starting today until 9 a.m. PT on July 3, Parking Star 3D is 50 percent off in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

Cypronia Games – For a limited time, Cypronia is discounting select games in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS, including Fishdom H20 and Angry Bunnies. This offer ends at 9 a.m. PT on July 31.

Shin Megami Tensei IV – For a limited time, the well-received RPG Shin Megami Tensei IV is only $24.99 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS. This offer ends at 9 a.m. PT on June 23.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Pushmo Pushmo Pushmo!

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Did anyone else download Another World 20th Anniversary Edition? I just finished playing through it and man that brings back some memories. I loved this game back on SNES (it was Out of this World in the states). It's shorter than I remember but I still dig the mechanics. The gun has to be one of the coolest video game weapons ever.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The title "BLOK DROP U" looks like an insult.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Did anyone else download Another World 20th Anniversary Edition? I just finished playing through it and man that brings back some memories. I loved this game back on SNES (it was Out of this World in the states). It's shorter than I remember but I still dig the mechanics. The gun has to be one of the coolest video game weapons ever.

I'm gonna get it on Vita

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I'm looking at the eShop sale of Yoshi's Island, since I've never played the game before, and I notice that it is technically the GBA Super Mario Advance 3 version. Is there anything better/worse about this version I should know about?

It's worse. Some of the effects don't look as good because the GBA doesn't support them. The screen is also smaller so there are a few spots where you can't see the platform you're supposed to jump to, also Yoshi has a voice and his HNNNNNG sound effect.

Aw shucks. I might pass it up, then, in favor of either Zelda or Super Mario World. I played both as a kid, but never was able to finish them because I was even worse at games then than I am now.

IIt annoys me that this is the only SMA title theyll release and only bevausecthey baisaclly had to.
    In particular Id pay like 40 bucks for Mario bros 3 with the e cards content ( maybe you could won them from a new toad game)
    On demand Hammer bro suit is civilization

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

IIt annoys me that this is the only SMA title theyll release and only bevausecthey baisaclly had to.
    In particular Id pay like 40 bucks for Mario bros 3 with the e cards content ( maybe you could won them from a new toad game)
    On demand Hammer bro suit is civilization

Where was it said that this is the only one they'll release?

Unless you're suggesting it's because the others have the originals on VC already, but aren't they releasing Super Mario Bros. DX on the 3DS Virtual Console, which already has the NES version?

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Super Mario All-stars with all the GBA game content would be pretty much perfect.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/p4zqHYG-n8fUHvwF7UYclMAGeU_a0bXB

IYf7hr_Fblt_IMQd92nn_Xhgmn_Jx_Y4_Np_Mgn.jpg
    Get up to 75% off select Ubisoft titles in the Nintendo eShop June 23, 9 A.M. PT - July 7, 8:59 A.M. PT.

With the temperature outside heating up, Ubisoft is helping you cool down by offering chilling discounts on select Wii U & Nintendo 3DS games in the Nintendo eShop. For 2 weeks only, Wii U hits like Rayman Legends, The Smurfs 2 and Rabbids Land are on sale for up to 75% off. For the pocket gaming crowd, Ubisoft is offering all of their Nintendo 3DS downloadable titles at 75% off!

This sale ends on July 7th, so head over to the Nintendo eShop to take advantage of these amazing deals!

Games on sale include:

Petz Fantasy 3D
    Rabbids Travel in Time 3D
    Rayman 3D
    Rayman Origins
    Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Shadow Wars
    Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell 3D
    Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013
    Rabbids Land
    ESPN Sports Connection
    Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth
    The Smurfs 2
    Cloudberry Kingdom
    Rayman Legends
    Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag
    ZombiU
    Assassin’s Creed III
    Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Blacklist

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    My Wii U is temporarily without internet access. Would someone be so kind as to tell me the sale price on Rayman Legends? Had my eye on it for a while...

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Billmaan wrote: »
    My Wii U is temporarily without internet access. Would someone be so kind as to tell me the sale price on Rayman Legends? Had my eye on it for a while...

$20.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote:
    Here are the prices, cross-posted from gaf:

Wii U eShop

ZombiU — $22.49, normally $29.99

Rayman Legends — $20.00, normally $39.99*

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag — $20.00, normally $39.99

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist — $22.49, normally $29.99

Assassin's Creed III — $14.99, normally $19.99

Rabbids Land — $19.50, normally $49.99

Cloudberry Kingdom — $5.00, normally $9.99

Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth — $15.00, normally $29.99

Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013 — $12.50, normally $49.99

ESPN Sports Connection — $12.50, normally $49.99

The Smurfs 2 — $12.50, normally $39.99

3DS eShop

Rayman Origins — $7.50, normally $29.99

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars 3D — $7.50, normally $29.99

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D — $7.50, normally $29.99

Rabbids Travel in Time 3D — $7.50, normally $29.99

Rayman 3D — $7.50, normally $29.99

Petz Fantasy 3D — $7.50, normally $29.99

• Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    Billmaan wrote: »

$20.
    Nice, thanks! Looks like it's time to buy.

• Options
    This week's eShop update

Wii U Download

Wii Sports Club Baseball/Boxing – 48-hour trial for all five sports
    Shovel Knight
    Monkey Pirates
    BrickBlast U!
    My Jurassic Farm
    My Arctic Farm

Wii U Virtual Console

Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse

3DS Download

Shovel Knight
    Toy Stunt Bike
    Skypeace
    Plain Video Poker
    Hidden Expedition Titanic
    Cocoro – Line Defender

3DS Virtual Console

Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse

3DS Demos

Toy Stunt Bike Quell Reflect

DSiWare

Anne’s Doll Studio: Antique Collection
    Anne’s Doll Studio: Lolita Collection
    Anne’s Doll Studio: Princess Collection
    ANONYMOUS NOTES CHAPTER 4 – FROM THE ABYSS
    Mysterious Stars: The Samurai

eShop sales

Ubisoft Summer Game Sale – Select Ubisoft Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games are on sale in the Nintendo eShop at up to 75 percent off. This offer is valid until 9 a.m. PT on July 7.

ATLUS Games – ATLUS is discounting select games in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS, including Code of Princess and Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked. Check them out now! This offer ends at 9 a.m. PT on July 7.

Urban Trial Freestyle – Race through a wide range of urban environments in this fresh take on the action-bike-racer genre. Starting today through 9 a.m. PT on July 10, Urban Trial Freestyle is 60 percent off in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

Nordic Games – For a limited time, select games from Nordic Games are on sale in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U, including Darksiders II. Visit the Nintendo eShop for full details. This offer is available until 9 a.m. PT on July 8.

Disney’s Frozen: Olaf’s Quest – For a limited time, Disney’s Frozen: Olaf’s Quest is available at the discounted price of $19.99 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS. This offer ends at 9 a.m. PT on July 31.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Update faster eShop. I need to shovel.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Whelp, looks like I'm getting Shovel Knight today on the WiiU....I have been looking forward to this one since they announced it.

I may need to double dip and buy on 3DS too. It's worth it. :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Shovel Knight and Castlevania 3 on my 3DS today!! Hella awesome eShop week.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Still no European release date :(

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Castlevania 3 is my favorite NES game ever - can't wait to grab it tonight.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Damn, this is a pretty good update. For some reason, I thought Shovel Knight was coming to all platforms, but apparently it's a "console exclusive" for Nintendo? Guess I'll get it on 3DS. I still hate that Nintendo has no kind of cross-buy for VC (Hell, I'd settle for an upgrade charge like they do for Wii > WiiU), but I'm tempted to double-dip for Castlevania III.

• Options
    I'm fine with double dipping for Shovel Knight. Yacht Club did fantastic work and I'm happy to give them more money. But I just wish I could move save data for it between my Wii U and my 3DS.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    When do the eShop updates tend to come online? I'm hankering for Shovel Knight on the Wii U, and digital deluxe points mean I have just enough 'free' money to grab it. And still have a penny!

• Options
    Is it 12:00 noon EST?

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    Is it 12:00 noon EST?

Apparently it is! Downloading now!

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    What do I get Shovel Knight on?

WiiU or 3DS? Help me decide. D:

• Options
    Both, of course.

• Options
    Only one bro. Only one. At least for now.

• Options
    I'm probably going to get the a Wii U version first just to support the console and get the digital deluxe promo points. Then I'll get the 3DS version later.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

3ds for me because it's portable and I can get max value from the street pass feature from where I work.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

I vote WiiU! I don't have any real reason why, but that's the version I'm getting ;P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I went WiiU for the gamepad play and the digital deluxe points. Using the dpad bothers me less than on the 3DS as well.

Lots of fun thus far!

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    SHOVEL KNIGHT IS AMAZING.

And I've only played the intro stage.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I suppose I should buy Shovel Knight for Wii U. That is sounding like the best version.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I've seen it said elsewhere, but it really does feel like a recently discovered classic from the NES era. Obviously the actual technical accomplishments are far beyond that time, but the mechanics and the presentation are just so perfectly ripped from the best that gaming had to offer back then, along with the smoothing of difficulty and modern conveniences that are often sorely missing in games from those days.

It's absolutely a combat oriented platformer when you get down to it, and nothing about it is particularly revelatory, so keep that in mind if you're on the fence. But what it does it absolutely does with the best of them. It really puts to shame a lot of the 'pixel' games that have been all over the place the last few years.

Very, very much keeping an eye on Yacht Club Games from here out.

As for system of choice, Wii U version plays great. I stuck exclusively to the gamepad, so I'm not sure what actually happens when you play it on the TV, but the controls feel perfect and the game looks great if you're working off-TV.

OneAngryPossum on
This discussion has been closed.