As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo eShop] So many classic games, so little time to play them all.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    The gamepad has a nice interface for selecting subweapons and going through your menus and all that. Very handy.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    It actually reminds me a LOT of Shantae, which I suppose is an apt comparison given where most of the developers came from :P The art is almost like a middle ground between GBC Shantae and DS Shantae: Risky's Revenge.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I've seen it said elsewhere, but it really does feel like a recently discovered classic from the NES era. Obviously the actual technical accomplishments are far beyond that time, but the mechanics and the presentation are just so perfectly ripped from the best that gaming had to offer back then, along with the smoothing of difficulty and modern conveniences that are often sorely missing in games from those days.

They actually did an article on the differences between Shovel Knight and what you can do on an actual NES. Very fascinating, as a guy who's programmed on the NES I can confirm that what they're talking about is legit. :)

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidDAngelo/20140625/219383/Breaking_the_NES_for_Shovel_Knight.php

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    That's a great article, and I'm really glad to know that their intent matched what I experienced. I noticed and loved the bits where you jump in front of the HUD and never even questioned it since it fit so well with the aesthetics.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    When's EU, though?

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Shovel Knight is soooooooooo good!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    PAL update (week of June 26):

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS

One Piece Unlimited World Red - €54.99 / £43.99
    Luv Me Buddies Wonderland - €29.90 / £24.90

WII U eSHOP

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition - €13.99 / £11.99 (July 2)
    Armillo - €6.00 / £5.50, introductory price €4.50 / £4.00
    Flowerworks HD: Follie's Adventure - €5.00 / £4.00, introductory price €2.50 / £2.00

WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE

Adventure Island (NES, US ver.) - €4.99 / £3.49

WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS

Mario Kart 8/Club Nintendo digital promotion - register MK8 on Club Nintendo before July 31, get a free digital game! (info)
    Pullblox World promotion (Wii U) - own Pullblox or Fallblox for 3DS, get 30% off Pullblox World for Wii U! Ends July 31.]
    Toki Tori 2+ (Wii U eShop) - €2.99 / £2.50 until July 3
    Kung Fu Rabbit (Wii U eShop) - €2.49 / £2.19 from July 3-10

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS

Pokemon Art Academy - €34.99 / £29.99 (July 4)

3DS eSHOP

Chibi-Robo! Let's Go, Photo! - €12.99 / £11.69
    Squids Odyssey - €12.99 / £9.99
    Quell Reflect - €3.99 / £3.49

3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS

StreetPass Mii Plaza (3DS)- combo pack €9.99 / £8.99, individual games €3.99 / £3.59 until July 13
    2 Fast 4 Gnomz (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until July 3
    AiRace Speed (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until July 3
    Bit Boy!! ARCADE (3DS eShop - €2.99 / £2.69 until July 3
    Urban Trial Freestyle (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until July 3
    Fractured Soul (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 until July 3
    Kung Fu Rabbit (3DS eShop) - €2.49 / £2.19 from July 3-10
    Football Up! 3D (3DS eShop) - €1.74 / £1.49 until July 17
    Aqua Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until July 17
    Inazuma Eleven (3DS eShop) - 89.99 until July 17
    Doodle Jump Adventures (3DS) - €12.99 / £29.99 from July 3-17
    Tappingo (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.69 from July 3-17
    Special offer:
    If you downloaded Squids Odyssey on Nintendo 3DS, you can download Squids Odyssey from Nintendo eShop on Wii U for free! (Your Wii U and Nintendo 3DS must be linked with the same Nintendo Network ID.)

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    I've been playing 1001 Spikes because I bought it when I went to buy Shovel Knight before June 26.

1001 Spikes is very fun in a nutshot sort of way. I'm not really one to play super difficult platformers, but the quick attrition-style play on the 3DS is really doing it for me. I'm almost halfway through the main levels with the first character of maybe a dozen unlockable characters.

I've actually put in more time into Spikes than Shovels so far.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I still can't redeem my prepaid eshop card. I called the customer service earlier today and despite telling me the eshop is down (I'm in Australia BTW) and that my code is valid, it still doesn't want to recognize the code. This is really frustrating.

EDIT: So I was able to redeem my free game but I still can't redeem the prepaid eshop card? WTF?!

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo of America “Could Not Support” Squids Odyssey Cross-Buy Promotion
    This morning, an eShop release schedule from Nintendo of Europe indicated that Squids Odyssey, an indie RPG by The Game Bakers, will effectively be the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U’s very first “cross-buy” title, meaning that you’ll only need to buy the game once and you’ll be able to play it on both platforms when it releases this Thursday.

There is a catch, however. Siliconera got in touch with The Game Bakers and learnt that the promotion only works one way—you buy the game on 3DS and get the Wii U version for free. You will not be able to buy the Wii U version and get a free 3DS copy.

The Game Bakers revealed to us that it was actually Nintendo of Europe that approached the studio and asked if they would be interested in the promotion.

“Indeed this is something new for Nintendo, they call it conditional sales,” a representative from Game Bakers shared with Siliconera. “They asked us if we’d be interested in this kind of operation and we said yes. I believe Squids Odyssey is one of the first titles or the first title to support this.”

“Unfortunately,” the representative continued, “it’s only 3DS -> WiiU for the moment, even though I know they would like to see this work the other way round (and we’d like it too!).”

I asked if there were similar plans for Squids Odyssey to be a cross-buy game in North America as well, but was informed that Nintendo of America “could not support this operation yet”. I then asked if this meant that The Game Bakers had approached NOA about the promotion.

They replied: “Yes we did ask, we really like this promotion and wished to make it happen for all gamers, but NOA could not support this kind of promotion.”

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Reggie's body was not ready.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    If Nintendo had wider cross-buy support for Shovel Knight I probably would have already bought it, instead of just waiting till my backlog wanes a bit.

I also would have bought a lot more Virtual Console games.

What I am trying to say is that Nintendo needs to support Cross-Buy, dammit. I would even take a "discount extra fee" thing, like moving from Wii to WiiU.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Don't even get me started on all the shit Nintendo needs to do with the digital games.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Is NoE run by Reggie with a british accent?

Reginald.

• Options
    McFlynn wrote: »
    Is NoE run by Reggie with a british accent?

Reginald.

They're run by 70's Reggie

g3TAP.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    So I went back after calling customer service again, they told me the eshop card wasn't activated when I purchased it. And when I spoke to the ebgames sale rep, it turns out that they must have scanned the wrong card, because it doesn't match the codes on my receipt. I knew it! I knew they gave me the wrong card. When I bought it last month, the guy told me to pick out another card because there was something wrong with the one I chose, so he must have scanned the new card, but given me the dud. Well after like hour of the sales rep phoning number people he ended up switching the dud with a new card. Which I can now say works, after inputting it in the eshop. Hooray...

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    So uh...no update today?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Today is Wednesday.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Tuesday?

e: Holy shit it is wednesday. What the hell am I doing to myself

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      So uh...no update today?

Look, I know it feels like Thursday because of the 4th of July falling on Friday, but come on :P

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      ViskodViskod Registered User regular
      I already bought Shovel Knight for the 3DS and the Wii U. Cross Buy program or no, that game is just that damn good.

• Options
      maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
      skeldare wrote: »
      So uh...no update today?

Look, I know it feels like Thursday because of the 4th of July falling on Friday, but come on :P

Oh, right, right. Sorry. I think it's because I saw Nintendo announce on Facebook that the Tomodachi Life demo is available for download on the eShop made me momentarily think it's Thursday.

FU7kFbw.png
      Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    • Options
      edited July 2014
      This week's eShop update

Wii U Retail

One Piece: Unlimited World Red (available July 8 )

Wii U Download

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
      Armillo
      Bombing Bastards
      Internal Invasion
      ZaciSa’s Last Stand
      POKER DICE SOLITAIRE FUTURE

Wii U Virtual Console

Mario Tennis: Power Tour

3DS Retail

One Piece: Unlimited World Red (available July 8 )

3DS Download

BIKE RIDER DX2: GALAXY
      Squids Odyssey
      City Mysteries
      Glory of Generals

3DS Demo

Tomodachi Life

WiiWare

KARAOKE JOYSOUND

Wii Demo

KARAOKE JOYSOUND

DSiWare

Mysterious Stars: A Fairy Tale

eShop sales

Kung Fu Rabbit – Starting today until 9 a.m. PT on July 10, the Kung Fu Rabbit games on Nintendo 3DS and Wii U are 50 percent off in the Nintendo eShop.

ATLUS Games – ATLUS wants you to pack your map and go exploring! Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl and Etrian Odyssey IV: The Legends of Titan are on sale in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS starting at 9 a.m. PT on July 7 through 9 a.m. PT on July 21.

Price Reduction

Just Dance 2014 is being reduced to $39.99 from $49.99 starting July 7 in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.

skeldare on
      Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      I've been waiting for Armillo. Can't wait to try it out once I finish Shovel Knight and Ittle Dew.

PSN - Brainiac_8
      Add me!
    • Options
      VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
      edited July 2014
      So what does Super Turbo Championship Edition change from the original Guacamelee?

Vyolynce on
    • Options
      Vyolynce wrote: »
      So what does Super Turbo Championship Edition change from the original Guacamelee?

http://www.destructoid.com/guacamelee-super-turbo-championship-edition-is-worth-double-dipping-for-277429.phtml

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
      skeldare wrote: »
      Vyolynce wrote: »

http://www.destructoid.com/guacamelee-super-turbo-championship-edition-is-worth-double-dipping-for-277429.phtml

Good to know, thanks.

• Options
      PAL update (week of July 10):

WII U eSHOP

Wii Karaoke U by JOYSOUND: 2-hour Ticket - €2.99 / £2.69

WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE

Pop'n Twinbee (SNES) - €7.99 / £5.49

WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS

Mario Kart 8/Club Nintendo digital promotion - register MK8 on Club Nintendo before July 31, get a free digital game! (info)
      Pullblox World promotion (Wii U) - own Pullblox or Fallblox for 3DS, get 30% off Pullblox World for Wii U! Ends July 31.]
      Kung Fu Rabbit (Wii U eShop) - €2.49 / £2.19 until July 10
      NES Remix (Wii U eShop) - €6.99 / £6.29 for people who own NES Remix 2, from July 10-24
      NES Remix 2 (Wii U eShop) - €6.99 / £6.29 for people who own NES Remix, from July 10-24

3DS eSHOP

Jett Rockett 2: Wrath of Taikai (demo)

3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE

Pokemon Trading Card Game (GBC) - €4.99 / £4.49

3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS

StreetPass Mii Plaza (3DS)- combo pack €9.99 / £8.99, individual games €3.99 / £3.59 until July 13
      Kung Fu Rabbit (3DS eShop) - €2.49 / £2.19 until July 10
      Nintendo Pocket Football Club (3DS eShop) - €11.79 / £10.79 from July 10-13
      Football Up! 3D (3DS eShop) - €1.74 / £1.49 until July 17
      Aqua Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until July 17
      Inazuma Eleven (3DS eShop) - 89.99 until July 17
      Doodle Jump Adventures (3DS) - €12.99 / £29.99 until July 17
      Tappingo (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.69 until July 17
      Jett Rockett 2: Wrath of Taikai (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.25 from July 10-24

Pokemon TCG!!

• Options
      PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
      Yo, the problem with that game is that it ended.

• Options
      Ha, I had TCG for my Gameboy. I played it so much at the time, because at the time I was also heavily playing the real card game.

I will buy that the instant it releases in the US.

PSN - Brainiac_8
      Add me!
    • Options
      Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
      I'm surprised (and thrilled) to see TCG get released. I was really starting to think they had a deal with the card side of things to not release any video game versions of the card game.

Now if they could port over the PC online game to the Wii U that would be great.

• Options
      Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
      Wow, the Pokemon TCG for GBC was actually pretty decent. I hope we get that here.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    • Options
      BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
      I never played the GBC Pokémon TCG game as I wasted my money on the real thing
      And did I ever meet some interesting people

• Options
      StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
      What exactly is the GBC TCG Pokémon...?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
      camo_sig2.png
    • Options
      Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
      Gameboy Color version of the Pokemon Trading Card Game. It's a pretty solid version of the card game obviously limited to very early cards.

• Options
      NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
      I forget what was included. Just the first set?

• Options
      It pretty much just covers the base set, as well as the Jungle and Fossil expansions.

Back when the game was simple and they weren't introducing/retiring sets every few months.

PSN - Brainiac_8
      Add me!
    • Options
      dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
      My Pokemaniac son will flip out if that comes to the US, to the point I'm not going to mention it until it does so, lest I be hammered by constant questions as to when it's coming out.

steam_sig.png
    • Options
      TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
      Oh god, the hours lost to Pokemon TCGGBC...I think I spent more hours playing that game than I did playing Blue Version proper. I still remember sitting in the car beating the champions while my mom was in the grocery store because I had refused to go in with her during such an important part of the game.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
      Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    This discussion has been closed.