As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pillars of Eternity: It's out! Reviews are great!

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Josh Sawyer was on the Giant Bomb E3 Day 3 Live Show last night. I only watched a couple minutes (I tend to listen to the audio versions later), but the section with him starts at about 1:08.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    We should just use the phrase, Nonbelievers.

Well, it is called the Wall of the Faithless. So I'm guessing people can believe that the gods exist but have no devotion towards any of them or believe any of them to be worthy of worship.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Has anything more recent been said on multiclassing?

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Shadowmant wrote: »
    C2B wrote: »
    With Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity needing lots attention, I am fine with the new Planescape getting delayed.

? Torment and Pillars do not influence each other. At all.

Also I'm out till monday. My internetz decided to be ass and I'm without the net as of yesterday evening.

Torment is licensing the Pillars engine and tweaking it so it does influence them in that capacity.

But Torment had the funniest excuse update for that schedule. "Hi guys, we made our development more efficient. That's why we're a year behind schedule!"

They made their development more *financially* efficient (more work done per $ spent) by getting more done during the pre-production and extending the release a bit.

Oh, I think I understand what they were trying to say, they just didn't say it very well. I personally don't have a problem with the extended development and particularly not with them having a lot of money left to spend, but geez, that was an oblique way to explain the delay.

Anyway, PoE coming soonish as these things go. Woot!

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I'm at the point now where I want to start clearing my current playlist to make room for WL2 and PoE, as I want to pour a bunch of time into them. I've been eyeing off IE-engine games again because I'm hankering for the genre, but I distract myself with something else so I don't burn out. Soon TeeMan, soooooon...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Shadowmant wrote: »
    With Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity needing lots attention, I am fine with the new Planescape getting delayed.

? Torment and Pillars do not influence each other. At all.

Also I'm out till monday. My internetz decided to be ass and I'm without the net as of yesterday evening.

Torment is licensing the Pillars engine and tweaking it so it does influence them in that capacity.

The engine is Unity. InXile uses Obsidians tools they ported for Unity during PE's development. What I meant is, it does not affect any of the team working on each game.

The argument could be made for Avellone, but he does Torment stuff in his free-time.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I just don't see how in a setting revolving around a pantheon you could have nonbelievers. It's a corner stone of the system. It's an actual fact or law.

You can create your own story and campaign. But trying to shoehorn in a Real-life way of thinking into a fictional universe just doesn't always work.

One does not have to look far in this real world of ours to find people who do not believe in actual real world facts or laws.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Voice Actor for Pillars and AW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4T8H8JMZUc

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Oh right, there was a week NDA which should be expiring soon, right?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    Oh right, there was a week NDA which should be expiring soon, right?

Thursday

(And no, I don't mean AOD's release date)

• Options
    I still am not convinced that AoD is a real thing. That is actually coming out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    What's AOD?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Age of Decadence

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Guy from Obsidian dancing *tank themed* dance on Wargaming's stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PonrgyCL0s

C2B on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    So... the embargo on E3 coverage lifts today, right?

I'm looking forward to news articles with unreasonable enthusiasm, I must admit.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Project Update #62: The unboxing of Divinity:Original Sin and a call to action!
    Posted by Larian Studios LLC
    Hello everybody!

Extremely busy times here at Larian as we're getting ready for release on June 30th so we'll keep it short. The most important takeaway from this update is that you need to fill in your shipping details if you're entitled to a physical reward. If we don't have your address, we can't ship.

Unboxing Divinity:Original Sin

There are two messages in the following video - what it's like to get physical with the Kickstarter Collector's Edition and why you need to fill in your shipping details now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGngb4egREM
    Time to get those physical rewards

It's time to get those physical rewards so we really need your address.

If you haven't created a Larian Vault account yet or if you haven't filled in your address (or if your address changed), please do so now. We'll start shipping things as soon as next week and are hoping to have all goods out of the door in the next couple of weeks.

Shipping will happen in batches so if we have your details now, you'll be included in the first batch.

Steam Early Access codes will expire on release

Everybody who backed us on Kickstarter received a Steam Early Access code. We promised however that you'll be able to select which platform you want to receive your digital download on, so on the day of release, the Kickstarter Early Access codes will stop working and you'll need to log in to the Larian Vault to select which platform you want to play on. You will then get a new code.

If you purchased the game on Steam Early Access, don't worry, your codes will keep on working. This message only applies to the Steam Early Access codes that were given away to our backers.

How to manage your pledge

The Larian Vault allows you to manage your pledge. In case you are wondering, that also includes everybody who backed via Paypal.

So, how does it work?

Go to https://www.larianvault.com Log in with your existing Larian Vault account or create a new one Once logged in, click the Kickstarter logo in the menu Fill in the email address that you use to log in on Kickstarter OR that you use to log in on Paypal Click the "Look up and link" button Check your email and click the link That's it!

Should anything go wrong or if you have questions, send a mail to kickstarter@larian.com. We're there to help you.

New Update on Steam Early Access - Go go Belgium!

When Belgium won their first match in the world cup we were so excited that we released an ad-hoc Steam Early Access update. In case you missed it, here's the link to the full changelist.

You should all cross your fingers that they'll win the next match because who knows what will happen then....

Missed the stream in which we showed the editor?

Joachim, our lead level designer and Swen showed off the game yesterday on Twitch TV. There's quite a few spoilers but tons of questions were answered so you might want to have a look.
    Shout out for our neighbours!

Will you be a lover ? A traitor ? a fighter ? Or a friend ? Sounds a lot like Divinity:Original Sin choice and consequence, right? But it's not - it's the tagline of Sunset, a narrative-driven first-person videogame that takes place in a single apartment in a fictional South American city in the early 1970s and it's made by the other game studio in Gent, none other than the award winning Tale of Tales.

Check out their Kickstarter page - they just got funded but we're sure they'll welcome extra backers to make their next game that much better!
    Larian wrote:
    Steam Early Access codes will expire on release

Everybody who backed us on Kickstarter received a Steam Early Access code. We promised however that you'll be able to select which platform you want to receive your digital download on, so on the day of release, the Kickstarter Early Access codes will stop working and you'll need to log in to the Larian Vault to select which platform you want to play on. You will then get a new code.

If you purchased the game on Steam Early Access, don't worry, your codes will keep on working. This message only applies to the Steam Early Access codes that were given away to our backers.

What does this mean? If we activated our kickstarter early access code that version of the game will stop working/disappear/what and we'll need to go to the vault to get a proper Steam code? That sounds like what it means, but that seems strange to somehow deactivate early access versions that have already been activated.

Oops. Wrong thread. Thanks, @Derrick. And thanks, @Elvenshae.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @iolo I'm pretty sure that's correct, and they're doing it so that someone doesn't get an Early Access code (e.g., a Steam copy) and then go to the website and pick a DRM-free copy for their reward, thereby getting two copies.

• Options
    Theres tons of previews out now.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They all saw the same thing, but (some) have different views on it.

• Options
  • Options
    Not bigger than BG2?! All the pre-orders re-cancelled again!

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Not bigger than BG2?! All the pre-orders re-cancelled again!

We knew that already.

On the other hand, it'll have not one, but two Athkatlas.

• Options
    They should just have a bonus mode where they mirror all the levels, random enemies, bam.

• Options
    edited June 2014
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    They were right to choose the muted color palate. The game looks beautiful.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Old world monkeyOld world monkey Registered User regular
    I feel like Josh Sawyer can read my mind.

• Options
    there are three ways to escape the ruin:

solve floor puzzle

destroy a wall(e.g. with items or with enough might)

get the help of the xaurip ( You must get him some food)

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    there are three ways to escape the ruin:

solve floor puzzle

destroy a wall(e.g. with items or with enough might)

get the help of the xaurip ( You must get him some food)]

c4IqXll.jpg?1

Nice to see that some things can be overcome with might.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    original.jpg

• Options
    I'm sure C2B will go through the trouble of posting the whole update soon, but just for the impatient...

Update #81: The Front Line: Fighters and Barbarians.

• Options
    Sry, had to watch the Swiss World Cup game against Honduras (Which we won 3:0)
    BAdler wrote:
    Update by Josh Sawyer, Project Director

In this, our final class update, we will be discussing fighters and barbarians. Along with the wily, pain-powered monks (covered in Update 52), these three classes form the front line. The front line defines the heart of any battle, where two sides tangle face-to-face. The responsibility of the front line is more than simply dealing damage. It means holding the line no matter what tries to break through. If the party rogue needs a breather, the characters in the front line need to be able to cover her retreat. If a swarm of xaurips descends on the group after the wizard hurls his fireball, the front line needs to be able to neutralize them en masse or absorb their attacks before they overwhelm the entire party. Designed to take punishment and tackle hordes, the front line are the first in and, more often than not, the last standing in any battle. Next update will focus on some brand new creatures that we haven't shown yet, so be on the lookout.

Each class holds the line in its own way. As covered in Update 52, the monk absorbs damage to fuel special attacks through the use of accumulated Wounds. These attacks can stun, push, or weaken individuals or small groups around them. While monks have to be monitored to ensure their Wounds do not overwhelm them, they can absorb a large amount of punishment and hamper enemy movement on the battlefield. In contrast, the fighter holds the line the traditional way: by standing her ground, blocking opponents, and being infuriatingly difficult to knock out. Barbarians are designed to jump into the fray swinging wildly. Lacking the accuracy and strong Deflection of the fighter, the barbarian makes up for his lack of discipline through sheer speed, savagery, and abilities tailored for fighting groups of enemies. We've already covered the monk's Wounds and how they play into their use, but the other two front line classes differ in how they stem the enemy tide and how players monitor and use them over the course of combat. To show you how they differ, let's look at the details.

pe-portrait-female-human-580.jpg

If one of Pillars of Eternity's eleven classes is the rock (we'll skip the obvious "pillar" joke), it's the fighter. All across Eora, fighters are known for their discipline, skill, and durability. In the Eastern Reach, they are often employed as caravan guards, soldiers, and personal bodyguards. Accustomed as they are to long marches, strange places, and life on the road, all fighters gain a minor skill bonus to Athletics, Lore, and Survival.

In combat, fighters are steadfast and stalwart. Even novice fighters enjoy the highest base Deflection defense of any class and the ability to passively recover a small amount of Stamina every second. As the levels rise, fighters gain access to weapon specialization, modestly increasing their overall damage for all weapons in a specific category. These categories are broader than they were in the Infinity Engine games. E.g. the Knight category covers battle axes, swords, morning stars, crossbows, and war bows. The Peasant category includes hatchets, spears, quarterstaves, hunting bows, and blunderbusses. The selections are designed to cover a variety of damage types, to include one- and two-handed options, and to always feature at least one ranged weapon. At even higher levels, fighters gain abilities to recover Stamina immediately after being wounded, to protect nearby allies from incoming attacks, to knock down groups of enemies, and even to yank enemy passersby into the fray. Overall, fighters are designed to be low-maintenance, reliable, and long-lived even in marathon battles. Here are more detailed descriptions of some of the fighters' abilities:

• Defender (Modal) - Allows the fighter to trigger Melee Engagement on up to three enemies and increases the fighter's Deflection. While active, the fighter's attack rate is reduced.
    • Vigorous Defense (Active) - Dramatically increases all defenses for the fighter for a short period of time. 1/encounter.
    • Unbending (Active) - For a moderate time, the fighter will recover 50% of lost Stamina from an attack over the 5 seconds following it. This has no effect on the amount of Health lost and does not prevent the fighter from being knocked unconscious from a temporary dip in Stamina from a strong attack. 3/rest.
    • Confident Aim - 20% of a fighter's Grazes are converted to Hits. Additionally, the minimum damage for any melee weapon they use is increased by 25% of the range between the minimum and maximum.
    • Critical Defense - 20% of all incoming Crits against a fighter are converted to Hits.
    • Crippling Guard - When a fighter Hits or Crits with a Disengagement Attack, the target is automatically Hobbled for a brief duration.
    • Unbroken (Active) - This ability can only be activated when the fighter is at 0 Stamina. When used, the fighter will stand back up with 50% of her Stamina. For a short while, her defenses and Damage Threshold are both increased. 1/rest.

A QA (Quality Assurance) favorite at Obsidian, barbarians are the wild, unconventional counterparts to fighters. Barbarians need not be from the "hinterlands" of Eora, though the vast majority are. In the Eastern Reach, barbarians most often come from Eir Glanfath, though some can be found in rural Dyrwoodan communities or drifting in from abroad through port cities like Defiance Bay and New Heomar. Barbarians are often used as shock troops for dealing with mobs or simply to intimidate the easily-cowed with their ferocity. As the Dyrwood has settled down over time, the regular employment of foreign barbarians has slowed significantly, but they still make up the majority of Glanfathan front-line forces. Barbarians all have a strong skill focus in Athletics and lesser focus in Survival.

pe-barbarian-580.jpg

While fighters rely on disciplined adherence to proven combat techniques to weather difficult battles, barbarians charge furiously into melee and wreak enormous damage to everyone around them. Barbarians are relatively inaccurate, but every melee attack they make gives them an opportunity to strike out at bystanders. Barbarians have the highest Health and Stamina of all classes, which they need given their low Deflection -- a defense that suffers additional penalties when the barbarian frenzies. A barbarian's Frenzy is one of his most valuable tools, allowing him to dramatically increase his damage output and Stamina for a short period of time. However, in addition to suffering penalties to Deflection, the barbarian's Stamina and Health meters are obscured for the duration. It's not uncommon for barbarians to suddenly drop unconscious -- or dead -- when their frenzies come to an end. Many of the barbarians' higher-level powers shine when they are surrounded by a throng of enemies, outnumbered and often badly-wounded. Even so, they are designed to burn brightly and expire brilliantly in the unfortunate event that a battle drags on. Due to the nature of their abilities, barbarians are a higher-maintenance class than fighters.

• Carnage - When barbarians hit with melee attacks, they automatically make reduced-damage attacks at all additional enemies within a short distance of the target.
    • Wild Sprint (Active) - The barbarian gains a large movement bonus that lasts a few seconds. While active, it allows the barbarian to ignore the stop effect from Engagement as well as the hit reaction from an Engagement Hit. Additionally, his Deflection is reduced during the sprint. 3/rest.
    • Blooded - When a barbarian falls below 50% Stamina, he gains a bonus to damage for as long as his Stamina is below 50%.
    • Thick-Skinned - Allows the barbarian to take only 1 Health damage per 8 Stamina damage received, instead of the normal 1 per 4 ratio.
    • Brute Force - When finesse fails, barbarians rely on brute force. On any attack that normally targets Deflection, the barbarian will automatically target the enemy's Fortitude if it is the lower defense.
    • One Stands Alone - When barbarians are Engaged by two or more enemies, they gains a bonus to melee damage. They cannot be Flanked unless they are Engaged by more than three enemies.
    • Vengeful Defeat - When barbarians are reduced to 0 Stamina and have melee weapons equipped, they immediately make instant Carnage attacks at every enemy around them. 1/encounter.
    • Heart of Fury (Active) - In a blur of movement, the barbarian performs a melee attack with each equipped weapon at every enemy within 2m. Each attack does increased damage and Carnage applies. 1/rest.

Our take on the traditional front line classes attempts to capture the spirit of their Infinity Engine predecessors while introducing some interesting and fun differences for players to experiment with. We hope that you've enjoyed this and all of our other class updates. More importantly, we hope that you enjoy making all the parties you can imagine when the game comes out. As always, let us know what you think in our forums. Thanks for reading.

Eternity at E3

Hey, everyone. This is Brandon Adler. I just wanted to give you a quick update about our E3 presentation.

Everything went really well and the game was well received by the gaming press. We gave short ten to fifteen minute demos in which we showed off the first few areas and explained the basic concepts of the game. After the demo we had a quick question and answer session and gave any interviews that we could fit in before the next batch of journalists. All in all, it was a grueling, yet rewarding, experience.

pe-e3-demo-580.jpg

There have been some questions about why we chose to do a closed door demo for the press and have not released footage from the demo. While the demo looked great, there are still parts of the game that need more polish before we release videos to the public. In addition, a lot of the demo footage was filled with spoilers and we would like to show off portions that are less critical to the story. Look for a video that shows some non-spoiler, polished gameplay sometime in the next couple of months.

If you would like to learn more about the demo and what was shown, take a read through some of these great articles:

Kicking it Forward: Harbour

ks-harbour-logo-580.jpg

Our friends at Tasty Minstrel Games have a new Kickstarter that needs your support. Harbour is a light-hearted fantasy board game where you and your friends play as ambitious entrepreneurs in a bustling port city. Play as one of the many colorful characters as you buy property, sell goods, manipulate market prices - and at times break the rules.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Update by Josh Sawyer, Project Director

the barbarian's Stamina and Health meters are obscured for the duration. It's not uncommon for barbarians to suddenly drop unconscious -- or dead -- when their frenzies come to an end.

This is fantastic

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    HEALER!

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    That was great but I liked specialization in Knight or Peasant style combat. Also the fact that they have one,two handed weapons and ranged weapons! So smart~!

• Options
    The Backer Beta will be released August 18th.

I don't think I'm gonna play it, to be honest. I hope to remain relatively unspoiled.

Though I'll probably end up playing a bit of the very start just to see how it all works.

• Options
    The Backer Beta will be released August 18th.

I don't think I'm gonna play it, to be honest. I hope to remain relatively unspoiled.

Though I'll probably end up playing a bit of the very start just to see how it all works.

Most likely the beta will be more of a combat/systems demo. Obsidian/Sawyer has taken a strong stance against story spoilers so far.

• Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I hope people will be allowed to make videos of the beta. I'm not a backer but I really want to see stuff.

Edit: What's cool about these types of games is, that with a very small team, they could probably make a mini campaign (1-2 hours) using existing assets in a way that they won't be used in the real game. The can create a couple quests and some encounters.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    For people who are concerned about spoilers, the Backer Beta will feature a number of areas near the middle of the game that do not have strong connections (if any) to the critical path. In addition to the characters you create, we are also likely to feature a roster of pre-made characters who are not companions. We don't have any interest in using the Backer Beta to give out story info. We'd much rather have people play it and throttle the mechanics, UI, etc. so we can make fixes and adjustments.