As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pillars of Eternity: It's out! Reviews are great!

• Options
    Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Level cap in Pillars of Eternity is 12.
    Not sure how likely you are to reach it without doing everything. The planned expansion is expected to up the cap a couple of levels - no official confirmation, I believe.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Hmmmmmm.

I know levels are just an artificial means of character building, but I still love them, dammit!

As long as we have a method to customize and build our character that is deep and fun, I suppose I'll be fine. Level 20ish was always my personal sweet spot.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Hype? From: Link.

1407860247-pf-obsidian.jpg

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Hmmmmmm.

I know levels are just an artificial means of character building, but I still love them, dammit!

As long as we have a method to customize and build our character that is deep and fun, I suppose I'll be fine. Level 20ish was always my personal sweet spot.

To me what's important is less the levels, and more just new things to acquire as you grow. Most games link that to leveling, but there is no reason they can't give you things other ways.

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    Hype? From: Link.

1407860247-pf-obsidian.jpg

Max Hype.

Seriously though, D&D 4e was -designed- to be a video game. Why dont I have that yet?!

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Because WoTC hates digital. Haven't we already covered this?

Edit: I realize, after the fact, this wasn't the 4E or 5E thread. So, we haven't covered this here.

am0n on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    OK, I don't know much of anything about PnP RPGs, so can anyone explain to me what Pathfinder is and why it would be a big deal if Obsidian made a game about it?

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Pathfinder is D&D 3.75. After Wizards stopped supporting 3.5 and went to 4E, Paizo took their content (under an open license), polished it a bit and released it as a new game. They were already doing a bunch of stuff for 3.5 (material, adventures, minis, etc.), so it kind of made sense given all the people who hated 4E and would throw money at a new version of 3.5.

am0n on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    OK, I don't know much of anything about PnP RPGs, so can anyone explain to me what Pathfinder is and why it would be a big deal if Obsidian made a game about it?

Pathfinder is the version of D&D with the most players worldwide. It's just not named D&D.

Basically when 4E was created that was a console SRPG on tabletop with 99-100% (grid based srpg) battle mechanics and 0-1% roleplayng a brand of devs created Pathfinder instead which is a refined, updated, and more balanced sequel to D&D style 3.5 games with actual roleplaying.

Basically, 4E is an awesome tactics game like Warhammer that calls itself and RPG, and Pathfnder is the actual current D&D roleplaying game that people play.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    I hope they somehow change the turn scheme of D&D to something more friendly to control on PC.

• Options
    I see. Thanks for the explanations.

Sadly, I can't yet get too hyped over this possible Pathfinder game. I'm still looking to Eternity as Obsidian's fantasy RPG and, after that, look forward to them doing something that's not fantasy for a bit.

• Options
    Ehh, I would agree with vagrant_winds except that 3.5/PF don't offer any more roleplaying than 4E. That's a misconception perpetuated by the people who dislike the fact that 4E has clear mechanical descriptions versus opened ended (and oft argued) descriptions. Both offer the same amount of roleplaying, since neither have roleplaying codified. I've had 4E games with more roleplaying than some of the 3.5E games I've seen.

But this isn't a D&D thread. We can discuss it in the 4E or 5E thread.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Fair enough. I haven't played Pathfinder myself yet. But I have played 4E and it has zero codified role-playing mechanics or skill in the rules.

I'm more of an Exalted/White Wolf/indy point-buy rules-light (Tenra Bansho Zero, OVA, FATE, Maid, etc) kinda guy.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    I hope they somehow change the turn scheme of D&D to something more friendly to control on PC.
    Turn based D&D works fine on PC if you actually port it instead of half-porting it into RTwP. (ToEE best D&D game)

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Pathfinder is the version of D&D with the most players worldwide. It's just not named D&D.

Basically when 4E was created that was a console SRPG on tabletop with 99-100% (grid based srpg) battle mechanics and 0-1% roleplayng a brand of devs created Pathfinder instead which is a refined, updated, and more balanced sequel to D&D style 3.5 games with actual roleplaying.

Basically, 4E is an awesome tactics game like Warhammer that calls itself and RPG, and Pathfnder is the actual current D&D roleplaying game that people play.

I wonder if it's possible to post that without a silly goose level of 12 or so ...

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Hey. I like 4E. I just consider it roll-playing and not role-playing.

I played a 3-year-long WtA game with a social-fu character. You can't really do that in D&D.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    I'm running a 4E two session game right now, and my players have entered combat exactly zero times. Things got tense for a while there, and it looked like something might happen, but they talked their way out of it.

They probably will in the second session, but they didn't in the first.

Such are the benefits of playing a murder mystery on the high seas.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hey. I like 4E. I just consider it roll-playing and not role-playing.

Hey, look at that - you managed to be even more of a silly goose! Impressive.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Some games have social and non-combat mechanics. Some, like D&D don't. Doesn't mean you can't role-play with them, it just means there's no mechanics for it.

How is that being a silly goose?

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    First, D&D does have social and non-combat mechanics, so you're factually wrong.

Second, "D&D is roll-playing, not real roleplaying like my system of choice" is such a fucking goosey thing to say that I'm not sure why you need this explained.

• Options
    I haven't played any D&D games besides the PC ones but I've read the player guides for them. It all seems to be about combat, there's not much said about how to interact with people with words. It said that you can make it up as you wish so I dunno. The PC games's social system is probably the furthest away from an actual D&D experience.

• Options
    So how's about that Pillars of Eternity, eh? I hear it's getting published by Paradox.

And Paradox has a presence at Gamescom and they will be livestreaming Pillars on Thursday at 3 AM PDT, because Germany doesn't care about American time zones.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the E3 demo again, but who knows.

• Options
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    I haven't played any D&D games besides the PC ones

I try to avoid making sweeping pronouncements about games I have not played.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/bluff.htm
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/diplomacy.htm
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/intimidate.htm
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/gatherInformation.htm

Go read anything by pemerton on the EN World board for some great examples of utilizing the 4E skill challenge mechanic to drive excellent roleplaying and non-combat problem solving.

You may not like these (base) mechanics, you may not think they are particularly good, but they are there. Therefore, it is factually incorrect to state that "Some games have social and non-combat mechanics. Some, like D&D don't."

So, again, this distinction between "this system is roll-playing, not real roleplaying" and "this system is for real role-playing" is nothing but elitist gooseyness.

• Options
    Look I said I don't know anything about it but it seems likely to me that there exist RPG systems with a larger focus on non combat. Both of you just seem to be exaggerating.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    What does 4e have to do with Pillars of Eternity again?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    Because WoTC hates digital. Haven't we already covered this?

Edit: I realize, after the fact, this wasn't the 4E or 5E thread. So, we haven't covered this here.
    I think it's actually substantially more complicated than that. I have the feeling Wizards licensed their digital rights to a company that has basically sat on them.

Of course the flipside is Pathfinder and Ryan Dancey stealing people's money to fund the MMO that's never going to happen.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

Well, Pillars of Eternity isn't a real roleplaying game, so ...

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

We all know it's a singleplayer CRPG.

Did anyone catch the Gamescom stream today? Was anything interesting shown? There's another one tomorrow.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

IS IT? I've only seen them talk about combat! What if it's just a roll playing game?

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    STAHP

Let's just all be excited for whatever it is.

C2B on
  • Options
    C2B wrote: »
    STAHP

Let's just all be excited for whatever it is.
    You mean rolle-playing.

• Options
    From an older Feargus interview
    Nothing stops us from being able to do those two different things. It’s going to make us look at Eternity as a brand. What else can we do with it? I want to hook up with the Pathfinder guys and see about doing a Pathfinder Eternity world book thing. It sounds a little weird, but… A card game. A board game. I’ve already been chatting with Cryptozoic Entertainment. We have nothing going on specifically, but they have a lot of experience in board games and card games. That’s what’s going to be transformative.

• Options
    What if...It's a PoE sourcebook in the pathfinder system?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Holy shit you could have separate systems for tabletop and PC games in the same setting.

• Options
    What if...It's a PoE sourcebook in the pathfinder system?
    That would be hilarious. I mean Obsidian would get paid and Josh would get to be a tabletop RPG designer, but it would be reduced to being an excuse to present a new magic style and some PrCs.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Wanna see it in the Cypher System

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Where's the mod system update?! No toolset still?

• Options
    The pazio thing is a card game with rpg elements.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Just that?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Where's the mod system update?! No toolset still?
    There's not going to be a toolset because it's built on unity

steam_sig.png