As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iOS Games: In-App Purchases

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I downloaded Chrome and used it to research the Safari issue.

Apparently 8.2 made safari have a problem with JavaScript but only just after installation. It was solved by closing safari and disabling JavaScript. It worked fine after that, even after enabling JavaScript again.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Anyone here play World Zombination? A few friends and I are looking for people to join our guild so we can hit all the tiers of raids and level up the guild to get cooldown benefits and other stuff. I was debating on making a thread for the game in general, but figured I would ask around in here first.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    I need this in the US now!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    The Quest Keeper is pretty clearly "inspired by" Crossy Road, but is different enough to be fun, and heck, it's free to try and there's no really objectionable IAP so far.
    though it seems a little bit broken in the easy direction -- you collect coins as you go through levels, and you can restart a level from a checkpoint by spending some coins -- but you can also "watch an ad for 50 coins" as many times as you like, and while the number of coins per checkpoint restart goes up, it didn't seem to get beyond 50, so every level is just a matter of beating it one checkpoint at a time. This is much like beating FPS's by saving before opening any door, mind you, but I'm not sure that's how it's meant to be played)

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    OH MY GOODNESS. PUZZLESCRIPT HAS MOBILE SUPPORT. WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?!

Ok, ok. So. Puzzlescript is a neat little tool for programming low-fi browser puzzle games really easily. There are a bajillion of them. Some of them are REALLY GOOD. It's rad. But they used to only run on desktop browsers, until some time in the indeterminate, but possibly recent past.

Look! Look at this little block swapping game. there are dozens more just as great. And you can play them on your iThing.

It Dies in the Light is also good. http://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=6847423

So is Dungeon Janitor. http://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=6866423

And if you open those in a desktop browser, you can see all the code. Most games have pretty short source code; like, fits on a couple printed pages short. It's relatively straightforward to figure out how they work and make changes and add more levels and stuff.

Normal people can make iPhone puzzle games in a web browser with not but an afternoon at their disposal.

Be excited with me.

Frem on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Man, Spider-Man Unlimited is so fun and I'll probably keep playing it until I unlock Spider-Gwen (who may not even be in game yet?)

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Thoroughly enjoying Card Crawl. Only complaints are not getting gold for selling power cards, and I would like to see a higher difficulty level; it's relatively easy to finish, and I suppose the difficulty comes from going for a high score, but I'd like to see a harder-to-finish mode or something.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Hearthstone for iPhone is out! All my free time...noo!!!!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Thoroughly enjoying Card Crawl. Only complaints are not getting gold for selling power cards, and I would like to see a higher difficulty level; it's relatively easy to finish, and I suppose the difficulty comes from going for a high score, but I'd like to see a harder-to-finish mode or something.

I found it a little simplistic at first, and was hoping for a more RPG-like experience, but it eventually clicked for me as a spin on solitaire. Fun thing to do for 15-20 minutes every now and then while listening to podcasts or relaxing.

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yep. All my phone's battery is now going into HS.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Man, Spider-Man Unlimited is so fun and I'll probably keep playing it until I unlock Spider-Gwen (who may not even be in game yet?)

Already released. Just gotta check portals to see if they throw her in. I have a single one with one star. Legendary (as that is seemingly the only version available that I know of).

And, yea, this game is pretty addicting. I go back to it constantly.

Spider-Man Unlimited, World Zombination, Mortal Kombat X Mobile, and now Hearthstone. What's a console?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Stealth Inc. is free today. https://appsto.re/us/VoFyN.i

Might be better known as Stealth Bastard on PC. It's a pretty excellent stealth platformer. More arcadey than Mark of the Ninja.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Reminder that Sorcery 3: The Seven Serpents comes out tomorrow.

http://www.inklestudios.com/sorcery/

Watch the video, it's bonkers what they're doing.

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    Esh wrote: »

I really enjoyed the first one, didn't realize a second (and third) was available.

Do you know if it uses the game saves from earlier versions to continue your character? Or is each one completely separate? (not that it matters, I'm just curious)

• Options
    rattletraprattletrap Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »

I really enjoyed the first one, didn't realize a second (and third) was available.

Do you know if it uses the game saves from earlier versions to continue your character? Or is each one completely separate? (not that it matters, I'm just curious)

It uses saves from previous versions. Stuff in 1 carried directly over to 2, and will carry over to 3.

Edit: Also - Sorcery 2 is much bigger than 1. The replayability of the game was pretty incredible.

Sorcery is incredibly awesome. 80 days is also incredible if you are into that style of game, though I think that's well covered in this thread already.

rattletrap on
  • Options
    Sorcery 2 is definitely harder than Sorcery 1 -- I finished Shamutanti Hills first time through, but I've tried Khare twice, and first time I got stuck in a jail and wound up being burned to death, second time I drowned after getting swept into sewers or something, and in both cases while it does have the "go back to X and try again" stuff, the place I could go back to was just the starting point of a bunch of choices all of which led to death.

Weirdly, looking at the update history for 3, it came out on Mar 30th and I had no idea it was there; for some reason I got a notification about it today from one of the other sorcery! apps?

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    all i know about Sorcery 2 is that i buy all the teeth and then i die.

just like my marriage hahahahhahahahahhahahah

• Options
    Sorcery 2 is definitely harder than Sorcery 1 -- I finished Shamutanti Hills first time through, but I've tried Khare twice, and first time I got stuck in a jail and wound up being burned to death, second time I drowned after getting swept into sewers or something, and in both cases while it does have the "go back to X and try again" stuff, the place I could go back to was just the starting point of a bunch of choices all of which led to death.

Weirdly, looking at the update history for 3, it came out on Mar 30th and I had no idea it was there; for some reason I got a notification about it today from one of the other sorcery! apps?

No, it came out today. Not sure where the 30th thing is from.

Picked it up around 10pm pst on the 22nd and before I knew it, it was 3:30am. It's amazing how each game improves on the last. I played the original gamebooks and this installment has me freaking out about how good The Crown Of Kings will be.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    As I had all four Sorcery! books as a kid, so these have been immediate purchases for me.

The Crown of Kings should amaze. As I recall, it was almost the size of the first three put together.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    The Judge wrote: »
    As I had all four Sorcery! books as a kid, so these have been immediate purchases for me.

The Crown of Kings should amaze. As I recall, it was almost the size of the first three put together.

Yeah, it was a beast. I'm impressed by the amount of new content in Khare and Seven Serpents as well. It holds up to the originals' standards and blends right in.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I never had the books. Could someone explain them and the iOS games based on them please?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    I never had the books. Could someone explain them and the iOS games based on them please?

Choose Your Own Adventure with dice, stats, and inventory. These 3 (soon to be 4) are connected and decisions, gear, and stats carry over between them. The iOS version adds maps and more detailed combat as well as scenarios that weren't in the original books.

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-sorcery-3/

I would start with the first one and move from there. The 2nd and 3rd are both longer and add more options and detailing.

• Options
    Holy crap it's over 300 MB

• Options
    Just started playing

Does not Commute

It's a fun little driving game where you try and get from point a to point b

But then you take control of another driver and you have to avoid the car you just drove on its route

Until there are about a dozen cars going to different spots and once time runs out its game over

There is a onetime IAP, for 1.99 you unlock the full game

• Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    Are the Sorcery games anything like Deathtrap Dungeon? I loved that book as a kid.

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Just started playing

Does not Commute

It's a fun little driving game where you try and get from point a to point b

But then you take control of another driver and you have to avoid the car you just drove on its route

Until there are about a dozen cars going to different spots and once time runs out its game over

There is a onetime IAP, for 1.99 you unlock the full game

The game is great and I purchased the single IAP to allow for the checkpoints. Very fun, very addicting.

• Options
    Asharad wrote: »
    Are the Sorcery games anything like Deathtrap Dungeon? I loved that book as a kid.

Exactly the same, except more so -- they're a followon series to the original Fighting Fantasy books, so there's a couple of more sophisticated game mechanics in there, but they are otherwise the same thing by the same people. Also, Sorcery! is a series of 4 books that go together, so the overall storyline is much longer. They are super awesome, and if you liked the original Fighting Fantasy books the chances of you not liking these are pretty small.

Tin Man Games have also made versions of some of the fighting fantasy books -- they're a more direct translation from book to app, so you select the page to go to with numbers, you shake your device to roll dice, etc. They've not done Deathtrap Dungeon yet, but they have done a bunch of other classics. Only thing to watch for is that they have 'classic art' which is the art from the books, and also recoloured versions of it, which just don't look right to me.

• Options
  • Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    Thanks @djmitchella

I will check it out.

• Options
    Just finished Khare, Cityport of Traps..
    That was more game than I was expecting; I got to the gate without all the spell lines and thought I'd wind up having to backtrack, but I didn't realise I'd backtrack by time-travelling to the start -- that's a really neat mechanic to make it possible to have a more free choice of routes through the city, but still let players not end up getting stuck if they missed something.
    Now, onto The Seven Serpents, but I have no gold and no provisions in my current save -- so the decision is "do I keep that save because it has history, or do I abandon it so I have a fresh, less used-up character"? I guess I'll see if I need gold at any point. Or does anyone know of a place I can get gold in Khare starting from nowhere? Once I have one coin I can hopefully play Swindlestones to get more, but I'm not sure where to get that first one.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Is anyone playing Marvel: Future Fight? Despite the ridiculous number of currencies, I'm enjoying it. The stages are really short, but I'm okay with that. It's a game that's easy to pick up and play in short bursts, and playing in little spurts makes the freemium nonsense easier to deal with. I wish it were more forthcoming with biometrics, but considering all anyone probably wants are new heroes I'm not surprised they're as annoying to come by as they are. I only have one more daily check-in to go before I get Hulkbuster. They're out of their damned minds wanting $200 for the AoU costumes.

Also playing One Finger Death Punch. I was overjoyed to find out it was on iOS now, because it's such a perfect fit for the platform, but the freemium side blows. Again, I only play in small doses, but I think I'd sit down to play it a lot more if I didn't run the risk of running up against freemium limits.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I have literally a whole page of games I mean to try (and I have the 6s, so it's a big page), and M:FF is on it. Eventually I may join you!

But these days? If I have a spare ten minutes to fill, I fill it with Hearthstone. I am playing that game basically forever.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I have a confession.
    Hearthstone doesn't really do anything for me.

• Options
    On a positive note, Final Fantasy 6 is half price, GTA San Andreas is 3 bucks, Monument Valley is 1 dollar, and CounterSpy is 1 dollar right now.

• Options
    I'm not gonna judge you. There are tons of games that people go ape about in this thread that I couldn't care less for. Personal taste is just that - personal.

• Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    On a positive note, Final Fantasy 6 is half price, GTA San Andreas is 3 bucks, Monument Valley is 1 dollar, and CounterSpy is 1 dollar right now.

Grabbed Monument Valley. Played it straight beginning to end. Bought the DLC, did the same. Awesome zen experience for $3 including the DLC. GET IT NOW.

camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • Options
    Two things:

1- This carmageddony-game called Death Rally is free right now. I can't imagine why.

2- Legend of Grimrock is pretty much the poster child for what people mean when they want someone to take a game from their childhood and just update the graphics. It's a carbon copy of a ton of great dungeon crawlers from my youth, and that is a good thing, not a criticism.

• Options
    Been playing a brick-breaking game called...Brickies.

There's a lot of levels, 2 different game modes, and power ups to help you bust bricks faster

Bad news: it's free but ad-supported, which means frequent 5 second videos for fire age and boom beach etc. I would pay a few bucks to make the ads go away but that isn't an option as of yet.

• Options
    worksintheoryworksintheory Registered User regular
    RGB Express just updated with new levels. You get to use a hoverboard instead of a truck.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    ...wait, Grimrock is on the app store now?

Dang, that game is a perfect fit for the iPad

Good for them!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET