As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iOS Games: In-App Purchases

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    If any of you play Zen Pinball, the Portal table is available for purchase.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I just ordered an MFI controller on Amazon, same-day (free!?) for Thomas Was Alone. I thought about Steam, but my PC backlog is ridiculous.

Legend of Grimrock. Is that the Wizardry-style dungeon crawler? I tend not to love those but it's so well-rated. I should probably do Sorcery instead, huh?

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    MadPen wrote: »
    I just ordered an MFI controller on Amazon, same-day (free!?) for Thomas Was Alone. I thought about Steam, but my PC backlog is ridiculous.

Legend of Grimrock. Is that the Wizardry-style dungeon crawler? I tend not to love those but it's so well-rated. I should probably do Sorcery instead, huh?

Legend of Grimrock is indeed a Wizardry style dungeon crawler, and it's great. The Sorcery series is also a great bit of fun so far... Flip a coin, and have a blast, both really good choices. Or stalk them both mercilessly with Appshopper and nab them when they are low. Sorcery 1, Legend of Grimrock

camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Fuck the spiders in Legend of Grimrock. I keep running back to the save crystal after like every goddamn fight because being poisoned is bullshit.

• Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Fuck the spiders in Legend of Grimrock. I keep running back to the save crystal after like every goddamn fight because being poisoned is bullshit.

Spider poison is their way of giving you a hug that you will remember for the rest of your life.

camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • Options
    There's not enough potion materials in the game for that shit.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    These complaints are precisely accurate to the type of game they're trying to reproduce.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Being poisoned is never fun in any game.

• Options
    I'm not bitching about the game, just venting my vexation with the spiders. They are true to form for this style of game but they are also sons of bitches.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Anyone still playing PvZ2 they just released another zone. Slightly harder than the ice zone, but not as ball breaking as the beach.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    Anyone still playing PvZ2 they just released another zone. Slightly harder than the ice zone, but not as ball breaking as the beach.

Man, I forgot about PvZ2. The beach and those surfer guys are what did it for me. I believe it was a map that you didn't get to choose your plants or something. Maybe I'll go back to it sometime.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    The sequel to 1000000, You Must Build A Boat, is out now.

Good thing it's a weekend. :)

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    KafkaAU wrote: »

Man, I forgot about PvZ2. The beach and those surfer guys are what did it for me. I believe it was a map that you didn't get to choose your plants or something. Maybe I'll go back to it sometime.

Yea I think on that map I just blasted it with power ups. The surfers and fishers require the use of the holo-nut.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    What's the primary objective

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    admanb wrote: »
    These complaints are precisely accurate to the type of game they're trying to reproduce.

Having played through the first five levels or so on PC, I can confirm that the game is an authentic replication of all of the aspects that made me never have any interest in the subgenre in the first place. When I bought it I was hoping that they'd have modernized something, anything, but nope. On my list of complaints:
    • Combat that primarily involves exploiting the grid mechanics instead of actually engaging the enemy. Standing still will get you shredded, while stepping to the side, turning, and then stepping to the side again will turn you into invincible gods of war. Your characters also have dodge stats that are somehow completely unrelated to this ability to dodge everything.
    • A magic system based on finding combinations of symbols on scrolls, remembering them or writing them down, and then entering in those combinations while enemies are trying to rip your faces off. Meanwhile, the rest of your party is just sitting on their asses because you have to manually click on them to attack. Also, the scrolls don't matter since your ability to cast things is based off a skill rank, they're just there to punish you for trying to play the game normally.
    • An ammo system that involves repeatedly picking up the same half-dozen arrows and reusing them over and over.
    • Items that are hidden in secret passages, behind deadly traps, or most deviously of all, right at your feet in plain sight but blending into the floor texture.

jothki on
  • Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Ah, it's Sorcery for me then. I could deal with those games when I was 12....barely. Why you so difficult, Wizardry?

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    jothki wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »

Having played through the first five levels or so on PC, I can confirm that the game is an authentic replication of all of the aspects that made me never have any interest in the subgenre in the first place. When I bought it I was hoping that they'd have modernized something, anything, but nope. On my list of complaints:
    • Combat that primarily involves exploiting the grid mechanics instead of actually engaging the enemy. Standing still will get you shredded, while stepping to the side, turning, and then stepping to the side again will turn you into invincible gods of war. Your characters also have dodge stats that are somehow completely unrelated to this ability to dodge everything.
    • A magic system based on finding combinations of symbols on scrolls, remembering them or writing them down, and then entering in those combinations while enemies are trying to rip your faces off. Meanwhile, the rest of your party is just sitting on their asses because you have to manually click on them to attack. Also, the scrolls don't matter since your ability to cast things is based off a skill rank, they're just there to punish you for trying to play the game normally.
    • An ammo system that involves repeatedly picking up the same half-dozen arrows and reusing them over and over.
    • Items that are hidden in secret passages, behind deadly traps, or most deviously of all, right at your feet in plain sight but blending into the floor texture.

Your first two complaints would have been handled with a turn based game, which I didn't understand from the outset why it wasn't so. I prefer picking up my ammo and reusing it again over having to worry about running out and if I can or can't use it this fight. The items behind secrets thing? Yeah, I dunno. Monsters should drop most of the stuff, or drop the obvious mechanic to obtain it - keys for chests and the like.

• Options
    The effect is generally that you have infinite ammo. Why not just give infinite ammo, like in Might and Magic?

• Options
    jothki wrote: »
    The effect is generally that you have infinite ammo. Why not just give infinite ammo, like in Might and Magic?

Because you can still run out in a given combat, just not overall.

• Options
    Speaking of Might and Magic, if someone ports M&M6, I will shut myself alone in my house and never do anything else. What's it cost? All the dollars? Shut up and take my money! I'm replaying that game currently for like the 10th time. I dust it off every year or 2 it feels like.

• Options
    I played Kite and Magic 6 a few years back, but didn't like it very much. I can appreciate what it did to push the genre forward, but yeesh, it did not handle the transition to real-time well at all.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Jacoby wrote: »
    The sequel to 1000000, You Must Build A Boat, is out now.

Good thing it's a weekend. :)

I don't know how it's doing, but god damn. Picked this up on the recommendation of the Bombcast last week ( as well as the curious name) and I am playing the ever-living hell out of it.

Go up the river. Quest with Match 3 style mechanics for attack/defend/spells/disarm traps. Complete quests to add rooms to your boat. New rooms get more people, who can use the gold and resources you also collect from your dungeon runs to upgrade and enhance your equipment. The boat gets bigger, you get stronger. Oh, have I mentioned the monster collection mechanic for stat boosts? All the while, going up the river on the world map.

It's like they took The Fun Part of a bunch of games, and then fused those Fun Parts together to make a game that's nothing but Fun Parts.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I beat You Must Build A Boat today. There are hidden monsters you can recruit.

• Options
    I've been playing the hell out of it.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Those guys know how to make amazing mobile games.
    They're really fun, really well suited to the platform and don't reek of player exploitation.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Those guys know how to make amazing mobile games.
    They're really fun, really well suited to the platform and don't reek of player exploitation.
    If I remember correctly, it's made by ONE GUY. He and his wife did initial play testing by cutting out paper models of everything and playing it like a board game. There was an article about 1,000,000 a while back which I currently cannot locate.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    You Must Build a Boat has me intrigued, and as such I look at 1,000,000 as well, but it looks like they are both similar in some ways and not in others. Should I just start with You Must Build a Boat and go backwards if I want more?

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    They're very similar, and Boat improves on the formula quite a bit. If you think you might like them both, I'd get them in order so you don't feel like you're losing features. If you just get one, get Boat.

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I was so busy building my boat this morning that I missed my stop.

So, yeah, buy that game.

• Options
    Thor1590Thor1590 Registered User regular
    My favorite part about Grimrock is that your "wizard" doesn't start off knowing any fucking spells! He got thrown into the pit and then decided he was a wizard!

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »
    I was so busy building my boat this morning that I missed my stop.

So, yeah, buy that game.

I... I did the same thing D:

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    YMBAB could really do with a pause button, imho. Maybe one of those ones where pause shows a big overlay so you can't cheat by using pause to plan your next moves too much?

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Does bailing out of the app do something unwanted that keeps it from serving as a pause?

Cog on
  • Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    I'm building a boat. This may take a while...

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Does bailing out of the app do something unwanted that keeps it from serving as a pause?

Nope. I use that as a pause button all the time.

• Options
    I downloaded the Marvel Puzzle Quest game last night because I'm a sucker for Puzzle Quest and games where you collect & level superheroes.

Its actually pretty decent.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »

Nope. I use that as a pause button all the time.

Ah, that's a good idea -- I worked out that hitting the power button to lock the phone and then unlocking works as well; I'm not sure why it took me so long to think of these things. I guess in my head I was thinking of it as being "switch away, but it'll keep sending monsters against me in the background until I die", which is not necessarily the case.

• Options
    Warhammer Quest is FREE right now. If you haven't, you really should. What are you waiting for? Its fucking FREE!

• Options
    Fallout Shelter is pretty good, guys.

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular