As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lego] Scooby Doo, where are you?

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    the Taskmaster from the new Hulk set has a molded white hood so Assassin's Creed lego figs are easier than ever!

If you go to your 'build a minifig' section of your local Lego shop, they have them there, too, assuming you just want minifight. You can get bows, crossbows, swords, etc too.

I think I know what I'm getting my friend for Christmas!

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    the Taskmaster from the new Hulk set has a molded white hood so Assassin's Creed lego figs are easier than ever!

If you go to your 'build a minifig' section of your local Lego shop, they have them there, too, assuming you just want minifight. You can get bows, crossbows, swords, etc too.

Minifig, not minifight. I can't even blame autocorrect for that...

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular

when you say local what is your definition of that because the only lego store in my state is 3.5 hours away and that makes me sad.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Closet Lego store to me is 6 hours.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    The problem with Mega Bloks isn't just that some of the blocks don't want to lock together it's that they use too many big pieces that make up most of the set so it's not much to build to it.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Eh. they use a lot less big pieces than you think these days. At least, on the kits I've bought. Though I do admit, the new pelican having giant molded engines kinda defeats the point, and yet I still really want that model...

Anyhoo. finished the Delorean. It's a nice little piece of kit, though I can see some points of issue regarding some of the concessions. I don't like that you can't really fit the minifigs in it well. But overall it's really kind of cool, and evokes the movie well. And the minifigs are absolutely awesome.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Eh. they use a lot less big pieces than you think these days. At least, on the kits I've bought. Though I do admit, the new pelican having giant molded engines kinda defeats the point, and yet I still really want that model...

Anyhoo. finished the Delorean. It's a nice little piece of kit, though I can see some points of issue regarding some of the concessions. I don't like that you can't really fit the minifigs in it well. But overall it's really kind of cool, and evokes the movie well. And the minifigs are absolutely awesome.

I was bummed the flux capacitor is just a sticker.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yours was a sticker? Mine was painted on...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

How do oyu find out how close is the accursed store where one weeps for their wallet after

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Shogun wrote: »

when you say local what is your definition of that because the only lego store in my state is 3.5 hours away and that makes me sad.

A 30 min bus ride. :-)

Or a 15 min walk, on break in work...

• Options

I don't have the set but I looked at a closeup and thought it was a sticker. A printed piece isn't much better though. Would have preferred a unique construction for such an important feature to a set like that.

• Options

Well after looking it's a 8 hour drive to the nearest one for me
    So like a trip to a certain store I need to do I feel some comfort

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

I don't have the set but I looked at a closeup and thought it was a sticker. A printed piece isn't much better though. Would have preferred a unique construction for such an important feature to a set like that.

Man, if you can figure out a way to make a brick built flux capacitor that looks like the one in the movie and is only 2 studs by 2 studs so that it actually fits inside the minifig scale car then be my guest.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2014

Man, if you can figure out a way to make a brick built flux capacitor that looks like the one in the movie and is only 2 studs by 2 studs so that it actually fits inside the minifig scale car then be my guest.

You have a Doc minifig.
    Build a lego bathroom with a clock over the toilet . Itll happen eventually

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

Ah ha, suckers. Mine actually goes back in time.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    I was actually really happy with my Lego Delorean, and then I made the mistake of checking out some MOC sets on the Googles. There's one that's fucking crazy that I really want to replicate.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    I'm always tempted by those LEGO kits for famous places, like the Sydney Opera House, but they're so expensive. Like, what the deal. It's not even licensed material - right?

• Options
    The architecture line? I think it's because they aren't mass produced.

• Options
    Went to TRU and found the movie robot cop polybag. Also they had a buy 1 get 1 50% deal on everything not movie so I got the mini-fighter xwing and falcon. They are both cute. The detail on the rebel pilot is great. Huge improvement over the only pilots. Also Han has a new head with an even better smirk and includes Harrison Ford's little chin scar.

• Options
    Went back to wally-world and scored that Silver Mine Shootout for $35. Also grabbed the creator Mountain Cabin set and some lego movie minifigs. Really want that ninja turtles set but I need to stop.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I bought the Sea Cow, if I don't post next week when it arrives it means my girlfriend finally snapped and I may be in danger. Send help.

Heres what you do.
    when it arrives, dump all the pieces into a brown box. Bring it into the house claiming you got it from your parents attic. when credit card bill arrives, hide it.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    I bought the Sea Cow, if I don't post next week when it arrives it means my girlfriend finally snapped and I may be in danger. Send help.

Heres what you do.
    when it arrives, dump all the pieces into a brown box. Bring it into the house claiming you got it from your parents attic. when credit card bill arrives, hide it.

Ive just seen the Sea Cow in the flesh, It took a team of security to drag me away from the display/box. I must say its probably the most impressive large scale set i've seen so far.

• Options
    ScumdoggScumdogg Registered User regular
    Hit up my local Wal-Mart to see if they had the Silver Mine Shootout for $35, and for once I was not disappointed. Aaaand I may have also gone a bit overboard. Picked up:

Silver Mine Shootout
    Galaxy Squad Hive Crawler
    TWO Galaxy Squad Eradicator Mechs
    Castle Gatehouse Raid

All for half price. It was so hard to make decisions, I had to leave a ton of things behind. I've never seen that much good stuff in a Wal-Mart clearance aisle at once, especially not stuff that was actually ON clearance and not just red tagged at full price.

Then I used the TRU sale to get the new "Rogon's Rock Flinger" Chima set, which for some reason didn't get the TRU Tax pricing treatment, and a TMNT Shredder Bike for half off.

Now I'm going to go celebrate having successfully transferred all my currency to brick form.

• Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    The Galaxy Squad Mech looks nice. I've been wanting to find one on clearance for a while, but no luck. The stores around here are so hit and miss with the clearance lego. One Walmart had like 20 of the same Castle set and nothing else.

• Options
    Which Castle set?

• Options
    The Galaxy Squad mech IS really nice. I bought it at full price and do not regret it.

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    I have a handful of the Halo Mega Bloks and the quality seems fine to me. I love the elephant.
    unsc-elephant-96942-1375.jpg

Those look great. There are some great alternatives to Legos:

My favourite:
    FQMAl8ol.jpg
    4 Feet long aircraft Carrier from Banbao.

Or Their Tiger II (couldn't find a picture)

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    ScumdoggScumdogg Registered User regular
    I was excited to find everything that I did, but especially that mech. Hence buying two. :) I would look at that set every time I went into Target, sure it'd end up on clearance because they had so many, but when that finally happened I missed it and they sold out. Finding them cheap at Wal-Mart was an excellent surprise, well worth the hassle of shopping at Wal-Mart.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    The Galaxy Squad Mech looks nice. I've been wanting to find one on clearance for a while, but no luck. The stores around here are so hit and miss with the clearance lego. One Walmart had like 20 of the same Castle set and nothing else.

My son got the eradicator a while back. I ready like it, I'd like to piece it out and build another in the Blacktron style.

• Options
    sirk133sirk133 Registered User regular
    Omg....walmart...is now my mortal enemy. Sets just kept falling into my cart....and next thing i knew. ..$300 was just ...gone...but ive got lots to keep me busy

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Which Castle set?

The Gold Getaway set. They have it on clearance for $20, and amazon has it for $15... :|

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I guess they are pretty limited in how close they can get to the actual appearance, but man that Banbao Tiger II does not look like a Tiger II at all. It's vaguely tank-ish, though, so I guess that counts.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Wow...

It's obvious all the stores restocked.. and were quickly cleared out. Still no Cloud cuukoo palace. :(

I still can't pull the trigger on the clearance'd Castle dragon set. It's $37, down from 50.. and I just don't know if I like the look of the dragon enough. I've never been a fan of red dragons.

• Options
    So you know how the engine/hyperdrive part lifts out and detaches from last year's A-Wing?

Can not find it anywhere. It must have fallen out but it just seems to have disappeared. I am going to try and find replacement parts but the top curve is pretty new so I don't know if I'll have it.

Also I need to find another A-Wing on the cheap.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Which Castle set?

The Gold Getaway set. They have it on clearance for $20, and amazon has it for $15... :|

They have it at work for $9 yes 9
    The Gatehouse was 15
    I made out like a bandit with my discount and the Toy Manager being an Idiot
    One of the perks working on that hell known to men

• Options
    79103?$main$

snagged this at wal-mart and some minifigs. Still no shakespeare yet darn it. Have doubles of Panda guy and wild west wyldstyle. Trying to stop myself from ordering anything off the Lego site. I still need to become a VIP member. I was also trying to finagle the discount at toys r us so that I pay full price for a big set and get another big $100+ set at half price, but they are thwarting me at every turn. Either they don't have a set I want in stock at my local store or the set is marked as a "hot price" (its anything but hot) so I can't use it in the promo.

• Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    My wife and I are buying Palace Cinema and the Movie Ice Cream truck Saturday.

It's the start of our own personal Lego city.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    Found a Walmart that had some decent sets on clearance. Couldn't understand why the Ice Cream Truck was already being pushed off the shelves, but my gain. Also got the MOS set with Lois Lane and General Zod. Also found a single Melting Room set, which appears to be the only one in the metro area.

• Options
    After years of my Star Wars kits being boxed up in the garage on account of I have nowhere to display them, I finally surrendered and broke them all down (except for the Star Destroyer, because someday I will find a place to put that mofo), and will now use them for General Purpose Dicking Around.

First up, I'm trying to make a respectable ED-209. I'm resisting the urge to GIS other attempts because I want to see what I can come up with on my own. I've decided I need a better means of segregating my parts, because trying to find anything is a bitch. Lots of rad stuff in the AT-AT set, though.

(As an aside, I often see people bitching that Legos used to encourage creativity and now it's so easy because there's a Lego piece for everything and you can't re-purpose the pieces for other stuff and wargle-bargle. Oh man, is that bullshit. I mean, just going off the Star Wars stuff, which are some of the most heavily-branded and customized kits out there, the versatility of these pieces is ridiculous, and it allows for an almost paralyzing sense of possibility. Because there are now twenty different ways to make the same general shape, all of them subtly different, each with their own pros and cons. I spent almost an hour just fucking around with different ways to mount the arms on my ED-209, because every time I found a viable solution, five minutes later I'd find an even better one.

Complaining that modern Legos have too many specialized pieces is like complaining that the English language has too many words.)

• Options
    Man, who's complaining about specialized pieces? The models from when I was a kid look like they were for preschoolers in comparison. So square, angular, and bulky. I love how Lego has embraced more of the curved pieces to give things softer lines.