As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The true Story of Bioshock pg. 6 (Irrational closure)

• Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    augh, I wanted another SWAT game.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    the cheat wrote: »

BioSWAT.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Sheesh, Darleysam, it's obviously supposed to be SWATshock, duh.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sheesh, Darleysam, it's obviously supposed to be SWATshock, duh.

You're being very Raven right now, and in danger of escalating it all the way to so Raven. I'm gonna need to ask you to dial back the Raven.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    darleysam wrote: »

BioSWAT.

Oh man... instead of tasers and pepperball guns, you just subdue criminals by shooting bees at them from your arms!

Edit: I suppose the more practical and less gross option would be to outfit your SWAT guys with Return to Sender vigors, but I mean... arm bees is just way too rad to pass up.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

BioSWAT.

Oh man... instead of tasers and pepperball guns, you just subdue criminals by shooting bees at them from your arms!

... I would play this.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

BioSWAT.

... I would play this.

I would totally bee (HAR!) down for a Dr. Bees game.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    FreedomForceVsTheThirdReichShock

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Now that's an IP I'd love to see revisited. Nuclear Winter had such a cool song.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Freedom Force was my favourite game series by Irrational :)

What happened to that IP btw.?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I was kinda getting discouraged about this issue when I saw so many flocking to Ken Levine's defense. I was getting increasingly convinced that I was a crazy loon.

Then I heard some video game devs and reviewers talk about the issue and they think Ken went about this in the wrong way and I felt okay. This isn't to say I'm suddenly right or that they have any authority; I don't think this is the kind of issue where there's a clear right/wrong in the same way that the sky is blue / red.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Really?

I think it's clearly wrong to imply Levine can't leave his job for whatever reason he wants or that doing so makes him a dick. He's not a slave.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Really?

I think it's clearly wrong to imply Levine can't leave his job for whatever reason he wants or that doing so makes him a dick. He's not a slave.

It's like freedom of speech or expression. Do what you want. But people may think you're (Ken Levine in this case) an asshole for it sometimes.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    C2B wrote: »
    Freedom Force was my favourite game series by Irrational :)

What happened to that IP btw.?

I believe Irrational held the IP rights to it (they self-published the second game), so that would make 2K the owner since they had bought out Irrational. They also published the Freedom Force Pack on Steam.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Really?

It's like freedom of speech or expression. Do what you want. But people may think you're (Ken Levine in this case) an asshole for it sometimes.

And those people can be wrong for thinking that. If someone says "Your a jerk for liking cupcakes" I'm gonna say that yes, they are clearly wrong as that statement makes no sense.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I'm going to throw this out there, but anyone who thinks Bioshock Infinite was a bad game has ludicrously high standards.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular

BioSWAT.

Pain_MGS3.gif

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Really?

And I think those people are wrong for thinking that Ken Levine is a dick if he gets tired of a job and decides to leave.

Drez on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I'm going to throw this out there, but anyone who thinks Bioshock Infinite was a bad game has ludicrously high standards.

I agree, though I haven't beaten the game yet. I did feel that it being a shooter was kind of weird for the atmosphere. This world with all these horrible and awful concepts, and actual rich story, and my main (only?) way of interacting with it is through a gun or hurty powers.

I felt kinda like Edward Scissorhands.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    I really liked Bioshock and Infinite but they felt so simplistic compared to System Shock 2. Irrational sure could make a game with serious atmosphere though.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    It's a continuum, the more polished and well presented the *Shock games got, the shallower and less immersive the gameplay and worlds got. Sure Columbia and Rapture are far prettier and better designed than the Von Braun or the Citadel... but man, that starship and that space station showed me fear. I was there, and I was terrified most of the way.

I did love the Bioshocks, though.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Pff. System Shock 2 had SERIAL CABLE CO-OP. That frickin' blew my mind when they added that capability in a patch, especially since it was a game I had traditionally placed in "single player shooter" category. It becomes a hilariously different game when you are playing in a group of two, dividing weapons together and eking out enough ammo to survive. I would have loved to play through any of the Bioshocks in co-op. Although I'd imagine co-op in Infinite would involve throwing guns and opening rifts a lot...

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »

I agree, though I haven't beaten the game yet. I did feel that it being a shooter was kind of weird for the atmosphere. This world with all these horrible and awful concepts, and actual rich story, and my main (only?) way of interacting with it is through a gun or hurty powers.

I felt kinda like Edward Scissorhands.
    I think you should beat the game, it makes it make more sense in context

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Drez wrote: »
    Really?

And I think those people are wrong for thinking that Ken Levine is a dick if he gets tired of a job and decides to leave.

Holy shit dudes.

If Ken Levine wants to leave his job, he's absolutely free to do so. Nobody's holding a gun to his head.

But if he's going to do it, maybe do it in such a way, and word it in such a way, that doesn't go "I wanna leave my job, but not actually leave or quit or anything, so instead we'll just fire 90% of the company.".

It's really not a hard thing to pull off. CliffyB managed it when he left Epic.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

This right here. And I know the circumstances of Epic and Irrational are different. But the fact of the matter is Ken Levine said, "I'm bored, I'm leaving, and everyone is fired." There was a way to word things to not make it sound so... "so what if most everyone is fired? I got shit to do."

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    I highly doubt Levine had another option if he wanted to leave other than desolving the company, especially if his plan was to take those 15 individuals with him.

This is a problem with people above Levine. And I highly doubt that without Levine the laid off employees would be getting nearly the support they are. Most places just shut the doors.

No I don't.
  • Options

This right here. And I know the circumstances of Epic and Irrational are different. But the fact of the matter is Ken Levine said, "I'm bored, I'm leaving, and everyone is fired." There was a way to word things to not make it sound so... "so what if most everyone is fired? I got shit to do."

Except that's not really what happened, but don't let that get in the way of the hate.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I highly doubt Levine had another option if he wanted to leave other than desolving the company, especially if his plan was to take those 15 individuals with him.

This is a problem with people above Levine. And I highly doubt that without Levine the laid off employees would be getting nearly the support they are. Most places just shut the doors.

That's fine.

But his letter is just really insensitive about the circumstances.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-02-19-the-irrational-decision
    “We've enjoyed a long and productive working relationship with Ken and are thrilled that he is pursuing his new creative endeavor with Take-Two. Given Ken's plans for this exciting new project, Take-Two determined that the best approach for the remaining Irrational Games staff would be to find internal career opportunities for as many as possible, and to provide placement assistance to those who would be leaving our Company.”

Basically they're going to absorb as many of the displaced developers as possible, and try to find work for the rest. In lieu of bankrolling another risky large studio with no direction and sketchy prospects without its creative lead, this seems like the most reasonable direction.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options

I don't know that it's a bad game, per se, but I find it irritating in a way that makes me not want to finish it.

Things that irritate me about BioShock Infinite:

1) Save system is atrocious. I don't mind checkpoint saves. I really don't. But not when they are very far apart. And not in a game that is at least somewhat collectible- and exploration-heavy. At least save on quit FFS!
    2) Save system is atrocious. I hate it so much, it is doubly-weighted in my list of annoyances.
    3) No map. Come on.
    4) Combat. So boring.

I mean, look, there are two things I expected from the game: Decent combat and decent exploration. The game is a tug of war between the two and I think it falls short on both fronts.

I think the game is lovely. I think it has an interesting setting. And I enjoyed the mystery of what I played up to (which is only a few hours). But I find the combat and other niggling annoyances bad enough that it just makes me not want to play it.

I won't say it's a bad game, but I think you can present a strong case in that direction. I don't know what to think because I can't get past the things that annoy me long enough to play the fucking thing.

• Options
    It's a continuum, the more polished and well presented the *Shock games got, the shallower and less immersive the gameplay and worlds got. Sure Columbia and Rapture are far prettier and better designed than the Von Braun or the Citadel... but man, that starship and that space station showed me fear. I was there, and I was terrified most of the way.

I did love the Bioshocks, though.

Could not agree more with your first statement.

And I really loved BioShock 1. BS2 - at least the 50% I played - was a bit perfunctory in my mind. And I have yet to muddle through BioShock Infinite, but I will someday.

• Options
    I never beat Freedom Force. I own them on Steam and GoG. I should play them.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    The ending sequence of Bioshock 2 was actually pretty solid payoff. It's definitely an unnecessary sequel, though.

• Options
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-02-19-the-irrational-decision
    “We've enjoyed a long and productive working relationship with Ken and are thrilled that he is pursuing his new creative endeavor with Take-Two. Given Ken's plans for this exciting new project, Take-Two determined that the best approach for the remaining Irrational Games staff would be to find internal career opportunities for as many as possible, and to provide placement assistance to those who would be leaving our Company.”

Basically they're going to absorb as many of the displaced developers as possible, and try to find work for the rest. In lieu of bankrolling another risky large studio with no direction and sketchy prospects without its creative lead, this seems like the most reasonable direction.

If they actually follow through on job placement assistance, I will be impressed as shit. Because I've been personally burned by promises of that shit twice in my life; nine years ago and another just a couple months ago.

All of this is just a matter of reacting to the initial display of this whole thing. If this info about job placement and such was included with Levine's letter it would've been totally a wash over. Aside from the disappointment of the studio breaking up.

• Options
    His letter is not what you should really consider in this issue. It's most likely what he was told to write by T2.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    If they actually follow through on job placement assistance, I will be impressed as shit. Because I've been personally burned by promises of that shit twice in my life; nine years ago and another just a couple months ago.

All of this is just a matter of reacting to the initial display of this whole thing. If this info about job placement and such was included with Levine's letter it would've been totally a wash over. Aside from the disappointment of the studio breaking up.
    "Besides financial support, the staff will have access to the studio for a period of time to say their goodbyes and put together their portfolios. Other Take-Two studios will be on hand to discuss opportunities within the company, and we’ll be hosting a recruiting day where we’ll be giving 3rd party studios and publishers a chance to hold interviews with departing Irrational staff.*"

It was in the original letter dude. Basically, people want to blame Levine for something that he really had no control over because it sucks to lose jobs.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Very interesting read about game development, the people and the problems in it. Nobody's perfect.

• Options
    It's nice to see some perspective and context given to the accounts of "rurrrrgh Ken Levine is basically Joffrey" stories that come out whenever Irrational hit a snag. It sounds like yeah, he was difficult to work under, but when you consider the pressure he must've been feeling to navigate both the challenge of realising his creative dream and hit the kind of marks that would actually result in a) a playable game being b) released on time and c) popular enough to turn a profit, yeah I'd probably snap at a few people too.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    C2B wrote: »

Eh. I've worked for bosses like that.

Fuck them. Life is too short.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW