As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castlevania / Bloodstained

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Ok

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Huh, the Castlevania episodes (and season) are shorter than I expected. I'll put the image from Netflix's site in spoilers:
    d8nrebhjs1js.png

Not sure when I'll be watching it.

That's about average for a half hour show

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Is it really only four episodes or is that just only what was in that screenshot?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Is it really only four episodes or is that just only what was in that screenshot?

Oh looks like it is actually just 4 episodes :confused:

I thought this was about the length of the episodes

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Oh looks like it is actually just 4 episodes :confused:

I thought this was about the length of the episodes

Yeah, I didn't realize the episodes were so short, and that it was only going to be four episodes for the season.

I don't really mind this, though. I'm all for something short. Someone mentioned a few weeks/months ago that they actually split everything they had done into two seasons.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    hell i KNOW i'm not watching it. i can't believe people are excited for that crap honestly.

Can't speak for anyone else, but "written by Warren Ellis" was enough for me to go from "meh" to "oh shit yes".

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I just watched it.

I am guessing the short length is more to test the waters than anything. It's clear that there are more episodes planned, this was more of an introduction than anything else.

Overall, it has potential. I'm not sure what I expected to feel other than bewilderment that this even exists, but I can't say I didn't enjoy it, despite some sloppiness here and there.

I hope it gets a season 2, it could be very good.

Neco on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    It's already confirmed to have 4 more episodes next year.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    It's already confirmed to have 4 more episodes next year.

Well that's good, though I wish it was more than four. There were a couple times that things felt rushed with these four, I think at least six would have helped with that. Still, I won't complain about four more.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    it's super good

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    So it's a 90 minute movie that they split into four episodes?

I'm happy with that.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SteevL wrote: »

It sounds like these may not be coming until next year though :(

Kind of been reading around and sounds like this may have been initially shopped around as an animed movie, but then Netflix bought it and said to make it a show. That sort of explains why it's basically movie length. Kind of wish they'd just left it as a movie as that seems like less of a let down for the length (i.e one normal-length movie just feels better than four short episodes... When you break it up it seems like not enough.. All perception of course :P)

Glad to hear they ordered more for next season though. Would hate to wait a year for just four more episodes.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Ok, I finally watched it and that was friggin' sweet. Now I am super sad that it was only 4 episodes. The episode format also bothered me less than I thought it would (but seriously it should have just been a movie at that length).

Grant seriously better be in season 2

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Also really enjoyed it, Gaius-Alucard being a highlight.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    That was a really good little series that I look forward to Konami arbitrarily cancelling with no explaination.

Viskod on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Viskod wrote: »
    That was a really good little series that I look forward to Konami arbitrarily cancelling with no explaination.

And then rebooting it as a sing-a-long musical starring tweens or something.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    It was pretty good!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »

Pachinko.

It's always, Pachinko.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Axen wrote: »

Pachinko.

It's always, Pachinko.

A tween musical about the Castlevania Pachinko machine.

edit- Which I kinda sorta want to see now.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Dammit, shouldn't binge til 1 AM.

Don't give a fuck, that's a good 4 episodes. Still not going to get me to buy a second Castlevania any time soon, but.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Watched today, made me want to replay PS1 SotN. Maybe that's just cause I saw Alucard.

I liked it, would have liked more than 4 eps, but it set enough of a base to get interest growing.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Weird to see all this Haunted Castle stuff come up lately. Cinemassacre has been playing it lately, too.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Watch this with friends last night. It was fucking incredible. It just felt as much Castlevania as a show could. I mean this was coming from a game series where the story was basically the quality of a 6th grader's fanfic. It was never all that well written and certainly did not have characters with any personality. The show managed to find that out of nothing so that already was a plus.

But the writing was like, really good. I really enjoyed all the dialogue. Sometimes it seemed well beyond the animation that was being used (and the animation wasn't bad either).

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Watch this with friends last night. It was fucking incredible. It just felt as much Castlevania as a show could. I mean this was coming from a game series where the story was basically the quality of a 6th grader's fanfic. It was never all that well written and certainly did not have characters with any personality. The show managed to find that out of nothing so that already was a plus.

But the writing was like, really good. I really enjoyed all the dialogue. Sometimes it seemed well beyond the animation that was being used (and the animation wasn't bad either).

"Lies? In your house of God? No wonder he's abandoned you."

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    While I kind of felt bad it was a random demon in that scene instead of Alucard or Dracula, that was a great scene.

I also loved him getting told he was standing in an empty box.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    My favorite part was the whole goat conversation at the pub

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the Netflix show far more than I expected to. When I saw it was animated I honestly it expected it to be a low quality shit show that paid only slight service to the games. Boy, was I wrong, and glad of it. Four episodes only whet my appetite for more of this, and I'm extremely excited that they ordered another season with eight episodes instead of four. I'm really hoping this will be a success and continue on into the future. I wasn't aware Warren Ellis was involved, but it shows.

It also made me crave a new Castlevania in the vein of the Souls series. Maybe with a bit more platforming and puzzle solving, but with the same combat style and atmosphere of the From games. Of course that's a pipe dream, but it would still probably rock.

• Options

This was the point where I knew the show was going to be legit. The dialogue just took off at that point and the personality was bursting at the seems.

I would think though that the only gripe people might have with the show is that it is a little too gratuitous with the violence and foul language. I think its just right honestly, but I can see people saying something like "it was forced / unnecessary"

I enjoyed the subtle references to Castlevania gameplay that only fans would really notice so they aren't just cheesy. That was how it should be done.

• Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

"Lies? In your house of God? No wonder he's abandoned you."

"We love you! Let me come give you a kiss!"

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I just finished it, and it was great. Far better than it had any right being. Usually when my main gripe of something is that it's too short, that means that I liked it so, yeah. More, please.

I think the animation was above par, but could have been better. The fight and action scenes were great, but everywhere else looked rough. Overall it worked, but it felt lacking to what I was expecting from the teaser trailer. The sound/VO was also hit or miss. I noticed some tracks that were from characters off-screen seemed compressed differently or louder, while those on screen spoke a little too quiet during other scenes, etc... Just kind of all over the place. The writing was very good though.

The story was really good, surprised they were able to pull it all together like that with a solid base. Dracula and Alucard's back story in particular works really well, and his reason for the castle moving everywhere subtle nods to it showing up in various places in the games. Trevor being a cocky asshole played off very well too, I was worried because I thought he was going to be a righteous warrior but really he's just a sick of the BS traveler. Sypha was also really cool and just worked. It seems like Alucard will fit the bill too, so all in all it's a great adaptation that could use some small quality adjustments to be excellent.
    I would think though that the only gripe people might have with the show is that it is a little too gratuitous with the violence and foul language. I think its just right honestly, but I can see people saying something like "it was forced / unnecessary"

Violence, no. This was great. A perfect amount, and not over the top at all. Foul Language? Yeah, I think the second episode in particular was like around 20-30 F bombs in the span of 10 minutes. Then the last two episodes reeled it in a lot. Kind of silly.

I think one of my favorite quotes was:
    Sypha - "The speakers have been searching for a warrior buried underground to stop Dracula for years!"
    Alucard - "Belmont, is that what you believe?"
    Trevor - "I fell down a hole."

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    I have no problem with foul language being used liberally though. Some people just talk like that, as long as you make it character specific (which they mostly did) then it fits.

I mean, one of our favorite lines as a whole last night was straight up "I'm fucking Trevor Belmont" because it was so badass and silly at the same time.

The fact that we already have quotes many unique lines says how solid the dialogue was. Even the performance by the voice actors was surprising high caliber.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I couldn't resist...
    Warning: graphic spoiler of a particular scene of the 4th episode.
    http://i.imgur.com/1HEb2ne.gif

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    It was really good. In 4 episodes, they do better making you care about these characters than the games have done in years. The VA volume mixing seemed bad but the voices themselves were good. A+ for the sassy demon in episode 4, he was the BEST.

Okay, that's wrong, Alucard is the best. Swag for days in that guy. My only worry for S2 is how anyone else is expected to keep up with him. Belmont magic enhancements maybe?

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I liked the first time I watched it, and I loved it the second time.

Probably the best video game adaptation of all time and one of the better animated series I've seen for a while.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    It was really good. In 4 episodes, they do better making you care about these characters than the games have done in years. The VA volume mixing seemed bad but the voices themselves were good. A+ for the sassy demon in episode 4, he was the BEST.

Okay, that's wrong, Alucard is the best. Swag for days in that guy. My only worry for S2 is how anyone else is expected to keep up with him. Belmont magic enhancements maybe?
    I would say that, as of now, Trevor is about 80-85% potential. He seems to have been drinking/vagabonding for quite a while. And even mentioned that he's rusty.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I loved the bit where Trevor mentioned his family bestiary. It was like he pressed START and went into the menu to check out what he was facing.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Watched them over my night shift at work. Bit gutted at only 4 episodes and would have a liked a bit more combat but it seems on point.

Best joke?
    Flying Vampire Jesus! I did snigger at that.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

Ah, I was wondering if they'd kept that part.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
This discussion has been closed.