As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castlevania / Bloodstained

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I get that seeing the violence and gore in animated form was jarring to some people, but if you've played basically any of the video games the amount of implied gore and the number of bosses who are basically demons made of corpses meant it really couldn't be any other way. I like that the gore and stuff was just sort of there and painted a very dark picture of humanity. None of the characters even mentioned it aloud and even in the market scene everyone is grimly trying to run their store fronts while cleaning up unspeakable stuff as though they're all trauma victims who can't process anything which sort of made it muted and feel much more grotesque than I think it actually was.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    It's different when it's ambiguous like in the video games. Also the Castlevania games specifically don't show violence being visited on children.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Just finished it. It was quite good and I'm very intrigued by Ellis' take on the main characters, but it was pretty much pure setup.

That said I'm trying to think of an adaptation of a video game that comes even close to this level of quality. The only one that springs to mind is Wreck-It-Ralph, and that's cheating.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    It's different when it's ambiguous like in the video games. Also the Castlevania games specifically don't show violence being visited on children.

Yeah, this, I didn't blink at any of the other violence (ever since Ninja Scroll cartoon violence hasn't phased me), but it shook me to see it happening to kids in the first episode. So some humanity's still there, that's good to know!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    So I finally started playing Order of Ecclesia. ... Is it just a really slow start? Because it seems pretty lame so far. I've knocked out a couple of early bosses and feel no real urge to continue. I loved SOTN and AOS, but this one isn't clicking.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Yes, it starts a little slow. I enjoyed it tho.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I think it's the best tuned game out of all the Metroidvanias. It's actually kind of difficult. But it doesn't have the continuous castle of Symphony or the Sorrow games.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I remember when Order of Ecclesia came out I couldn't get past one of the bosses in the game (I think it was the mermaid or something, it was water based). It's a shame because until then I was having fun with it, but it's definitely the hardest as Renzo said.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Order of Ecclesia isn't just the hardest of the Metroidvania style games, but it's also the most polished in a lot of ways. There's no equipment bloat and there's an actual appropriate pacing of upgrades / item finds.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Dirty wrote: »
    So I finally started playing Order of Ecclesia. ... Is it just a really slow start? Because it seems pretty lame so far. I've knocked out a couple of early bosses and feel no real urge to continue. I loved SOTN and AOS, but this one isn't clicking.

Advanced use of the glyph loadout quick swap makes the game more enjoyable. Beginners naturally have Shanoa wielding very different weapons in each hand, and that makes perfect sense. Advanced players put the same thing in both hands, letting her attack rapidly and unlocking abilities unique to that dual-wielded weapon. Then when they want different weapons they quick-swap the loadout without pausing.

For one basic example, one loadout could be dual rapiers and another could be dual axes. I don't remember if they give you a third loadout. Each loadout gets a premium Up+B ability.

Once you unlock the quick swap, using it this way will both make you more effective and make combat more enjoyable. She fights faster than effing Alucard when this is done, rather than the usual-BOOP-BOOP-BOOP combat associated with Soma. Also, watch out for secret combinations.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »

Advanced use of the glyph loadout quick swap makes the game more enjoyable. Beginners naturally have Shanoa wielding very different weapons in each hand, and that makes perfect sense. Advanced players put the same thing in both hands, letting her attack rapidly and unlocking abilities unique to that dual-wielded weapon. Then when they want different weapons they quick-swap the loadout without pausing.

For one basic example, one loadout could be dual rapiers and another could be dual axes. I don't remember if they give you a third loadout. Each loadout gets a premium Up+B ability.

Once you unlock the quick swap, using it this way will both make you more effective and make combat more enjoyable. She fights faster than effing Alucard when this is done. Also, watch out for secret combinations.

Three slots, yes.

And yeah, definitely be careful with secret combinations. It would suck to use the wrong one after not saving for a while (it should be painfully obvious which that is once you have it available)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    That damn crab boss near the beginning of Order of Ecclesia made me ragequit the game for a few months before I finally came back to it and beat him. I don't remember much else about the game except that I enjoyed it.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    We got an update! Japanese voice cast has been announced.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/posts/1987248
    Development Update - Get to Know the Japanese Voice Actors

It's been a while, hasn't it? With IGA and company deeper into the development process than ever there had been less time to devote to carving out new pieces of the game for backer updates, but the drought is over—there's still tons of Bloodstained to discover before it comes out. (And then even more to not discover until after it comes out, and you lock yourself in a spoiler-free room for a couple of days to finish it.)

For that matter, your between-updates options have never been better: If you haven't been visiting the Bloodstained Forums and the Bloodstained Discord, you're missing direct access to 505 Games' own Angel-Corlux. (A couple of us from the Kickstarter team at Fangamer finally got to meet him [and Mana] at PAX West this year, and I can confirm that he is somehow even more enthusiastic about Bloodstained in person.)

Now, with the preface out of the way, here's the latest from IGA: It's time to talk about voice acting!

Hello everyone, this is IGA. Our development progress has entered its peak. In the midst of it all, we've finished recording the Japanese voices for the characters. We'd like to introduce you to the actors:

Miriam - Ami Koshimizu

Macross Δ - Mikumo Guynemer
    Sailor Moon Crystal - Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter
    Alice & Zouroku - Shizuku Ichijo
    Kill la Kill - Ryuko Matoi

Gebel - Shusaku Shirakawa

Glitter Force Doki Doki - Juujou
    Izetta: The Last Witch - Lawrence
    Majin Bone - Leo Bone
    Lego Marvel Super Heroes (Japanese dub) - Deadpool, Cyclops, etc.

Johannes - Kazuyuki Okitsu

ID-0 - Ido
    Arpeggio of Blue Steel - Gunzo Chihaya
    JoJo's Bizzare Adventure - Jonathan Joestar
    Your Lie in April - Saito
    Touken Ranbu - Hachisuka Kotetsu

Dominique - Kaori Mizuhashi

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Mami Tomoe
    Monogatari series - Ougi Oshino
    ViVid Strike! - Vivio Takamachi

"Mysterious Man" - Ryotaro Okiayu

Hell Teacher Nube - Meisaku Nueno
    Slam Dunk - Hisashi Mitsui
    The Prince of Tennis - Kunimitsu Tezuka

Alfred - Taiten Kusunoki

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Japanese dub) - Darth Vadar
    The Fast and the Furious series (Japanese dub) - Dominic Toretto
    Drifters - Black King
    ClassicaLoid - Bach
    Tiger & Bunny - Antonio Lopez/Rock Bison
    The Prince of Tennis - Genichiro Sanada
    Empire (Japanese dub) - Lucious Lyon

Zangetsu - Hiroki Yasumoto

Bleach - Yasutora Sado
    Mobile Suit Gundam AGE - Derek Jackrow
    Fairy Tail - Elfman Strauss
    Black Butler - Agni
    Hozuki's Coolheadedness - Hozuki
    Yowamushi Pedal - Shingo Kinjou
    Street Fighter V - Guile
    Dragon Quest Heroes II - Hassan

Gremori - Saori Goto

Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei - Ai Kaga
    Pretty Rhythm: Rainbow Live - Otoha Takanashi
    Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma - Nao Sadatsuka

Anne - Akari Kito

Record of Grancrest War - Siluca Meletes
    Time Bokan 24 - Calen
    Blend S - Kaho Hinata

Were you able to predict any of the voice actors? One of them is for a character you haven't quite met yet... we'll be telling you more about him soon, so stay tuned. - IGA

If you were hoping there just happened to be a new character named Mysterious Man, and IGA had settled on this very oblique way of introducing him—well, me, too. But we'll have to settle for having a new character with an actual identity and design instead!

One more housekeeping note to mention before I turn today's update over to the fan artists and fan musicians—we're going to be updating the Kickstarter page a little to reflect DICO's new role on the project. Mana explained it on the forums a few months ago, but we didn't want anyone to think we were editing the page in secret.

Most of them have pretty large pedigrees beyond what's listed here, but extra special bonus points if you recognize Ryotaro Okiayu's relation to the project.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Most of them have pretty large pedigrees beyond what's listed here, but extra special bonus points if you recognize Ryotaro Okiayu's relation to the project.
    Alucard?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Eat at Arby's!
    tfcozp5pxrcr.jpg

It's Halloween, and I've failed to finish Super Castlevania IV before the end of the month as I like to do roughly every October. It could still happen, as I'm just two levels away from Dracula, but I suspect I won't do it tonight.

Also, there's a new Bloodstained update over at Kickstarter. There are a few new music clips and they hint that there will be another demo.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co-h7zOA8yY

Oh my god she wears the hats

Donnicton on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The lighting looks nicer.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Lighting looks a ton better. Definitely still looks slow though, not sure if it feels that way but it 100% looks much slower than other metroidvanias I've played recently. Maybe because she's just walking left to right and not using dash or run abilities.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Holy fuck that looks gorgeous.

The gameplay also looks fine to me. I didn't feel anything wrong and I kind of liked the quality of the action showcased at the end there. Seems a step above what Metroidvanias had in general.

But holy hell does that look good now.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Between Metroid Samus Returns, Dead Cells, Hollow Knight, the recent announcement of Guacamelee 2, and how great Bloodstained looks, it's a good time to be a Metroidvania fan.

Now we just need a real Castlevania game.

Also! Bonus topic! I got the SNES Classic and on it is Castlevania IV, aka Super Castlevania. I had never played that game before. Somehow that one passed me right by, even though I was super duper into the SNES and played pretty much every "great" game on there. So it's been nice to explore this little gem. I'm really enjoying it.

• Options
    No doublejump in new video. Wonder if it's still the same animation as first jump.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Someone linked me this bandcamp album...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DcwuqABxZY&list=PLVOutenTc7GS4ONJFgkoC85Pa_ELgii1S
    Materia Collective is pleased to present Resurrection of the Night, an ambitious 13-track re-imagining of the classic Castlevania: Symphony of the Night soundtrack for orchestra just in time for Halloween. Featuring Michiru Yamane's beloved compositions transformed into orchestral masterpieces by arrangers Wayne Strange (Video Games Live, Zelda Reorchestrated) and Tim Stoney (Zelda Reorchestrated), Resurrection of the Night is fully licensed and available for pre-order as of today!

A follow up album titled Resurrection of the Night: Alucard's Elegy will also be coming to Kickstarter next week to fund all-new live orchestra and choir recordings for release on CD and vinyl. Alucard's Elegy will offer a second inverted castle for listeners to explore.

"The music from Richter's castle will be laid before you with Resurrection of the Night," notes arranger and producer Wayne Strange. "We intend to delve deeper into the anguish that Alucard must endure with Alucard's Elegy. Because we would be moving into more story-driven material we would like to make this experience a truly authentic one. That means hiring a professional choir, and, if our dreams are fully realized, a symphony orchestra. But enough talk, have at you!"

It's super good.

Edit - This is the same group that made the Zelda Orchestra - Hero of Time.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I love Metroidvanias and I love that she wears the hats. But I'm not loving this 2D/3D aesthetic, just feels off to me. Environments don't look that great and the characters feel wonky.

I want this game to be good, but I wish they'd gone with full 2D instead. Hollow Knight is freakin' gorgeous and did some great things with parallaxing backgrounds to add awesome depth to the world. I want more side-scrollers that follow their example.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    I hope they put R. Eye of Devil or something in the game. That was fun.

• Options
    New Bloodstained update:

Hello everyone, this is IGA. For this update I'd like to share what we've been referring to as the "Miriam Fashion Show." In Bloodstained, weapons, accessories, and scarves all change the player character's appearance. Today we'd like to show you a few of those items.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYNeGqp20uQ

All the weapons you see here are new additions. There's a fire sword, a two-handed axe, and a few other kinds of weapons. There's even a maid headband that's similar to the kind you might see in Akihabara.

We haven't shown this before today—we can actually change hairstyles and scarves, too. Miriam looks so different when her hairstyle changes. This new one looks very fierce!

In addition, we included a look at three Bunny items—a headband, a scarf, and some boots. I think it's a very stylish look, personally...

This system is another way to personalize the game, and I hope you have fun with it.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Man these people have no idea how badly i want to give them my money for this game.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Does Bloodstained have a release date, or is it still just "2018"?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Does Bloodstained have a release date, or is it still just "2018"?

March 2018.

• Options
    The backer update also says that they're in crunch time working to get it out by the release date and they're not going to have a holiday, kinda fucked up.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Well I imagine most small developers with no released games really have time to enjoy vacations. That Kickstarter money can't last forever, and until that game comes out, they're not gonna have any new money coming in to pay their employees. Every day you're not working is potentially pushing that big payday further away.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
  • Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    No holiday's is not uncommon. That's the life of working in game dev. Really it could be avoided with proper management but there aren't many places who know how to manage their games properly. At least they're trying to finish, unlike some other games we're all still waiting on.

masterthehero on
    hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    It's sad, yeah, though I hope they'll get to spend a bit of time with their loved ones. At the very least, I hope they'll be due a nice break when the game is finished.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Honestly if they are pushing to get it out by the date they planned, they are already way ahead of almost any kickstarter ever. They could easily take some time off for the holidays and push it back and I think most people would accept it.

I wonder if they are doing the smart thing and just getting the game out, then adding all the stretch goal stuff later or if they somehow got all that into the main game already. I think Shovel Knight proved if you make a great game and get the extras later it can go very well.

• Options
    Castlevania: Harmony of Despair is on sale on PSN (PS3 only) for 75% off. I played the hell out of it online on XBLA years ago and had a fun time with it. I'm tempted to pick up this version because unlike the XBLA version, this one has local multiplayer.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I imagine we are gonna be waiting a while for the Switch port?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I imagine we are gonna be waiting a while for the Switch port?

I've wished for years that Harmony of Despair got a PC port. But yeah, at this point it seems unlikely.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Castlevania: Harmony of Despair is on sale on PSN (PS3 only) for 75% off. I played the hell out of it online on XBLA years ago and had a fun time with it. I'm tempted to pick up this version because unlike the XBLA version, this one has local multiplayer.

Ooh, thanks! Going to see about getting this.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    SteevL wrote: »

Ooh, thanks! Going to see about getting this.

Just keep in mind that the game is best played in multiplayer. It was a neat experiment. It's not really a proper Castlevania game, but it sure as hell uses assets from pretty much every 2D game that Koji Igarashi worked on.

This discussion has been closed.